• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 The most ownd current gen console in The Netherlands according to research

m0t0k1

Since you guys like sales so much I thought i would share some numbers that where revealed by multiscope a dutch online market research company today. The research has asked about 6500 people about their use of game consoles. Its in dutch so i did a rough translation about what is being said.

"About 4 in 10 households own a Console. Game Consoles are mostly popular in families with kids. In those families about 66% own a game console. But the current gen consoles are still very limited according to our research. about 13% of the game console owners own a ps4 and just 5% own a xbox one. Same number goes for the Wii U which is also owned by 5% of the Game Console owners."

PS4 populairste next-gen game console
Bijna vier op de tien huishoudens bezitten een game console. De game console is vooral populair in gezinnen met kinderen. Maar liefst twee derde van de huishoudens met kinderen heeft een game console in huis. De next-gen game consoles (PS4, Xbox One en Wii U) zijn nog in een beperkt aantal huishoudens aanwezig. De PlayStation 4 is hiervan de populairste. Bij 13% van de game console-bezitters staat de PS4 in huis. Slechts 5% heeft een Xbox One en nogmaals 5% een Wii U. Bij consumenten is de interesse in de PS4 (7%) hoger dan de interesse in de Xbox One (5%), dus ook het komende jaar zal de PlayStation 4 de populairste game console blijven.

"The most game console owners still own their old game console. The Wii is owned by about 60%. Which is followed by a ps3 29% and after that the xbox 360 at 21%. The new generation of consoles gets way more gametime and is used more frequently then by their predecessors. about 25% of the Wii owners use their wii for about 3 hours a week. Compared to 90% of the PS4 owners who use their console for about 10 hours a week. Noticable is that the user intensity of both ps3 and ps4 is higher then that of the Xbox One or Xbox 360."

But it isnt stated how much difference that is because they refer to their fully detailed report which you can buy.

Wii in de meeste huishoudens, PS4-gamer fanatiekst
De meeste game console-bezitters hebben nog een voorloper van de nieuwe generatie in huis. De Wii is in drie op de vijf Nederlandse huishoudens met een game console aanwezig. Daarna volgen de PS3 (29%) en de Xbox 360 (21%). De nieuwe generatie consoles worden veel intensiever gebruikt dan de oude generatie. Slechts een kwart van de Wii-bezitters gebruikt de console nog wekelijks (gemiddeld 3 uur per week). Daarentegen wordt de PS4 door ruim 9 op de 10 bezitters wekelijks gebruikt (10 uur per week). Opvallend genoeg is de gebruiksintensiteit voor zowel de PS3 als de PS4 hoger dan die van de Xbox One en Xbox 360.

With this information we can make some estimations about how much consoles are sold here in the Netherlands. we have about 8 million (7,6 housholds in 2013 according to some searches in google) people living here. so about 40% own a console. so that comes down to 3,2 million households own/share a gaming console. about 13% own a ps4 so about 416.000 ps4 where sold compared to 160.000 sold by both Xbox one and Wii U. This is just an estimate by me according to the numbers we saw.

Interesting to see that the adoption rate is still low here for the current gen consoles. Makes me kinda interested how the adoption rate is in other countries. Also concludes that the Wii was more then a one and done machine since more people play their Wii at the moment then a PS4. since 480.000 people still use their wii. Although the people that moved on to current gen use their ps4 more. They also have implemented numbers of hand held consoles in their detailed report but that is only accessible for people who want the detailed report.

FinalD said:
Your math is off though.

13% of 3.2M = 416k PS4's in homes
60% of 3.2M = 1920k Wii's in homes

90% of 416k = 374k PS4's used weekly
25% of 1920k = 480k Wii's used weekly

10 * 374k = 3740k hours of PS4 usage weekly
3 * 480k = 1440k hours of Wii usage weekly

By the way: I'm using your 8 million households but that number is way too high. Should be somewhere around 7.6 million.

Also (nerd warning): dem Wii numbers: 1920, 480, 1440, just beautiful!

edit: changed some of the numbers.

source

Theorry

How so? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I dont know., There are more intresting things in that article. More intresting then that small section of owned currently.
I mean i am saying its not true. Wich it is offcourse. But dont know. Feels like i am lured in this thread with that title.

Ofcourse. If there is any country where Microsoft fucked up with the XboxOne it's the Netherlands.
They delayed the console for speech recognition / voice commands. A year later it gets released in the Netherlands, WITHOUT Dutch speech recognition/ voice commands.

I was fully ready to go all 3 consoles this gen. But they fucked up in so many ways and Sony did it right in so many ways..
Shame.

But maybe i'll still get one later on. If it has enough great exclusives.

m0t0k1

Yeah there is a lot more to it then just the title. I think the most interesting things are:

• That the adoption rate is still low for current gen consoles.
  • Wii is still being used by a lot of people

But the essence of the story i think the publisher wants to define is that PS4 is doing well. If anybody wants to give a suggestion for a title change let me know i will ask a mod. Also in Japan Wii U is still number 1 when you just use Consoles as metric.

m0t0k1

So this would put the PS4 at around .9 million units right?

I think about half. my estimate from the OP:

With this information we can make some estimations about how much consoles are sold here in the Netherlands. we have about 8 million (7,6 housholds in 2013 according to some searches in google) people living here. so about 40% own a console. so that comes down to 3,2 million households own/share a gaming console. about 13% own a ps4 so about 448.000 ps4 where sold compared to 160.000 sold by both Xbox one and Wii U. This is just an estimate by me according to the numbers we saw.

FinalD

With this information we can make some estimations about how much consoles are sold here in the Netherlands. we have about 8 million (7,6 housholds in 2013 according to some searches in google) people living here. so about 40% own a console. so that comes down to 3,2 million households own/share a gaming console. about 13% own a ps4 so about 448.000 ps4 where sold compared to 160.000 sold by both Xbox one and Wii U. This is just an estimate by me according to the numbers we saw.

Interesting to see that the adoption rate is still low here for the current gen consoles. Makes me kinda interested how the adoption rate is in other countries. Also concludes that the Wii was more then a one and done machine since more people play their Wii at the moment then a PS4. since 800.000 people still use their wii. Although the people that moved on to current gen use their ps4 more.

Your math is off though.

By the way: I'm using your 8 million households but that number is way too high. Should be somewhere around 7.6 million.

m0t0k1

Your math is off though.

Yeah i made some mistakes i will correct them i had 14% on my mind instead of 13% had the 4 of ps4 in the back of my head :p and did no conversion on the wii numbers from 3,2 directly to 25% so thanks for correcting me will change the numbers in OP. I was thinking about using the title Wii used more then PS4 as title but that would be a bit to sensational.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I'm not surprised: Europe is sony-land

SgtCobra

Not surprised at all, Xbox presence in The Netherlands has always been low. The 360 put up a good fight but MS completely killed what was left of that presence with the Xbox one.

Top Bottom