• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Update 2.50 “Yukimura” Preview: Suspend/Resume and More

paxromana

Banned
In addition to this, I hope they eventually save those screenshots on their servers. It would be neat to have the moment I get the trophies permanently attached to my account :)

First they should increase the cloud save size to unlimited and make it free to non-PS+ subscribers.

this is a pretty megaton update IMO. after they add mkv support + release a remote + better game library organizing i'm completely satisfied with the OS.

I would have agreed with you about the remote until I realised how good the HDMI CEC is: I randomly tried the TV remote in the PS4 menu and it worked fine. TV remote controls blu-ray playback, there's even a little TV UI overlay that pops up to tell you what buttons do what.

CLEEK

The addition of HDMI CEC was the best thing about the PS3 Slim over the original. Your telly remote being a fully functional media playback remote was awesome, but the best thing was being able to turn on and actually navigate the PS3. Could flick on the PS3, browse the PS store, fire off a download, then back to TV, all from the remote. Could even play certain games, as long as they just worked with d-pad and X.

A stupid oversight to not include HDMI-CEC on the Xbox and WiiU. Every device with HDMI should use it.

StereoVsn

I agree on increasing the cloud size save limit but why should Sony offer this PS+ benefit to everyone? Sony wants people to subscribe to PS+.

Cheers

I agree that they shouldn't have to provide the service for free. However, 1GB size for PS+ users is horribly insufficient considering the 3 platforms that can use it and that many games can have save states/files/whatever into 100s of MB.

Unlimited may not be possible but at the least 10GB or so per user should be doable. While storage is not free, it's getting to be relatively inexpensive at cloud scales (if you look at the major vendors like AWS, Azure and others).

Sony seems surprisingly backwards on some of it's networking features so hopefully with the large influx of PS4 gamers they will have to do something about the save size limits.

gruenel

I agree that they shouldn't have to provide the service for free. However, 1GB size for PS+ users is horribly insufficient considering the 3 platforms that can use it and that many games can have save states/files/whatever into 100s of MB.

Unlimited may not be possible but at the least 10GB or so per user should be doable. While storage is not free, it's getting to be relatively inexpensive at cloud scales (if you look at the major vendors like AWS, Azure and others).

Sony seems surprisingly backwards on some of it's networking features so hopefully with the large influx of PS4 gamers they will have to do something about the save size limits.

It's 1GB per platform.

But yeah, they need to increase it, even if it's only for PS4.

I want the appear offline feature already. That, DLNA and let me bloody disable "X just joined a party". It completely messes me up in FIFA or BF.

In addition to this, I hope they eventually save those screenshots on their servers. It would be neat to have the moment I get the trophies permanently attached to my account :)
To build on that:
I would like for us to be able to save screenshots in the cloud and be able to access them from the PS App. Maybe even share them from there. Also, giving us the option to take/use uncompressed shots.

paxromana

Banned
I agree on increasing the cloud size save limit but why should Sony offer this PS+ benefit to everyone? Sony wants people to subscribe to PS+.

Cheers

Because Microsoft and Steam are offering it for free?
Cloud storage is rather inexpensive these days, especially when you put a limit on file sizes. No one would even reach insane sizes, Microsoft knows this so they only advertise it as "unlimited" because it sounds cool, but in reality it is dynamic. Probably like 20GB to start, and then adapts to how much you use, which is where the inexpensive part comes in.

_Ryo_

Is Spotify going to be a port of the desktop or the mobile app or its own thing? The desktop lets you play local files doesn't it? So, if it's a port of that it'd be cool if Spotify could play the local files off of USB.

Andrefpvs

First they should increase the cloud save size to unlimited and make it free to non-PS+ subscribers.

I agree that they really need to increase the cloud save storage size, but there's no need to view trophy screenshot storage as a competing feature. They can (hopefully) make both happen. Like you said, cloud storage is rather inexpensive.

Especially when screenshot storage would take a lot less space on Sony's servers than people would expect. Most 1080p compressed jpgs uploaded by the PS4 are 200 KB on average (this one is 194 KB, for instance). PS4 users will earn, on average, 1000 or so PS4 trophies (and I think that's being generous, that's 30+ retail games).

So 200 KB*1000 trophies = 200 MB needed per user. Not a lot, considering they already offer 3 GB for cloud saves (which, once again, should be more, especially on PS4 -- I agree). If they're feeling cheap, they can further compress the screenshot on upload, or add it as another PS+ benefit.

TL;DR: Sony, save mah trophy screenshots! 😃

CLEEK

Because Microsoft and Steam are offering it for free?
Cloud storage is rather inexpensive these days, especially when you put a limit on file sizes. No one would even reach insane sizes, Microsoft knows this so they only advertise it as "unlimited" because it sounds cool, but in reality it is dynamic. Probably like 20GB to start, and then adapts to how much you use, which is where the inexpensive part comes in.

You know why MS, Valve, Google and Apple can offer free storage? Because they have a massive footprint of infrastructure, with spare storage capacity. That's how they can provide storage for free. Sony have a really small infrastructure footprint. They're just not in the same ballpark.

Back in 2004 when Google shocked the world with offering an incredible 1GB storage in Gmail wasn't because they'd gone out and purchased Petabytyes of storage to give away out of the goodness of their own hearts. They already had this spare storage on their massive server farms used for search. MS are in teh same boat with their enormous Azure capacity. Apple are getting their with all their iCloud investment. Valve have been scaling up their infrastructure since they started Steam.

You know why MS, Valve, Google and Apple can offer free storage? Because they have a massive footprint of infrastructure, with spare storage capacity. That's how they can provide storage for free. Sony have a really small infrastructure footprint. They're just not in the same ballpark.

Back in 2004 when Google shocked the world with offering an incredible 1GB storage in Gmail wasn't because they'd gone out and purchased Petabytyes of storage to give away out of the goodness of their own hearts. They already had this spare storage on their massive server farms used for search. MS are in teh same boat with their enormous Azure capacity. Apple are getting their with all their iCloud investment. Valve have been scaling up their infrastructure since they started Steam.

Unlimited isn't necessary, and giving it away for free certainly isn't. But given that PS4 gamesaves can be 50MB or more, only having 1GB is just ridiculous though.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Thats the only feature that I want. Not sure why this has not been added yet.
I have 160 people on my friend's list, and most of them are quite active gamers. If I got a popup every time somebody logs in or out, there would be no 20 second period without a notification going off.

What I would like, however, is to have game based triggers: if I am playing Destiny, it would be cool to get an alert when one of my friends launches it.

At the moment, though, I'm quite satisfied at checking my friends list at launch, invite somebody to a party and join their game. Friend login alerts wouldn't really serve any purpose.

the tech and apis exist to allow people to upload saves to those services though. a dropbox or google drive upload option would certainly lighten the burden of storing saves for sony. especially if using 3rd party cloud solutions can avoid the 1gb limit

mike4001_

the tech and apis exist to allow people to upload saves to those services though. a dropbox or google drive upload option would certainly lighten the burden of storing saves for sony. especially if using 3rd party cloud solutions can avoid the 1gb limit

This would bascially open all doors for savegame editing which may be OK for SP games but if you play Multiplayer this is just horrible ;-)

Massa

I mostly agree with this, but... Sony not in the same ballpark as Valve? What?!?!

ElNino

Unlimited isn't necessary, and giving it away for free certainly isn't. But given that PS4 gamesaves can be 50MB or more, only having 1GB is just ridiculous though.
Is there any way to control what gets uploaded on the PS4?

I just picked up a PS4 this week and when I checked my uploaded game storage, I had a few 10MB files and then Driveclub with 300+MB. It seems the majority of that space is ghost and replay data, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to filter (at the game or OS level) what gets uploaded.

I'm not out of space yet, but considering I'm almost 50% there in only one week, I think I could easily hit the cap pretty quickly once I pick up some more games.

Is there any way to control what gets uploaded on the PS4?

I just picked up a PS4 this week and when I checked my uploaded game storage, I had a few 10MB files and then Driveclub with 300+MB. It seems the majority of that space is ghost and replay data, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to filter (at the game or OS level) what gets uploaded.

I'm not out of space yet, but considering I'm almost 50% there in only one week, I think I could easily hit the cap pretty quickly once I pick up some more games.

Go to your saves in settings, pick the Upload to PS Plus then press option on whatever save you want and choose Auto upload off.

chiliboy

I have 160 people on my friend's list, and most of them are quite active gamers. If I got a popup every time somebody logs in or out, there would be no 20 second period without a notification going off.

What I would like, however, is to have game based triggers: if I am playing Destiny, it would be cool to get an alert when one of my friends launches it.

At the moment, though, I'm quite satisfied at checking my friends list at launch, invite somebody to a party and join their game. Friend login alerts wouldn't really serve any purpose.

Yeah I feel you. I have 540 friends on my FL on psn and I would go insane with login prompts ^^

Being able to appear offline though - that is a feature I reeeaaalllyy want for those moments when I just want peace and quiet.

Nesther

They'd obviously implement some sort of tier system, where you mark the important people in your friends list and such.

Absolute bullshit. It's no riskier than already being able to copy saves to a USB.

exactly

They'd obviously implement some sort of tier system, where you mark the important people in your friends list and such.

i'm guessing this goes along with the "Unique to the PS4" statements we've seen. they probably want to set up some sort of favorites system for notifications before the roll out friend online/offline notifications. the other thing to consider is the jump to 2000 friends. perhaps friend notifications crippled the OS after a certain number of friends was reached

Trevelyan

Banned
Is anyone having issues with the PS Gold headset outputting audio with the update? It definitely picks me for the input, but I cannot get any audio to output through the headset for some reason, was wondering if it may be Yukimura or something else. Thanks guys.

Reule

Yo, when is Sony going to fix the no friends avatar situation all over the UI? It's been happening since two firmware updates ago. I know I'm not the only one with the issue. It's not a big problem or anything but just looks bad.

Blanquito

Yo, when is Sony going to fix the no friends avatar situation all over the UI? It's been happening since two firmware updates ago. I know I'm not the only one with the issue. It's not a big problem or anything but just looks bad.

Have you tried rebuilding your database? I had that happen to me too and I did the rebuild database thing and it fixed it.

If you already have tried it: sorry!

TheHall

Bloodborne turned out to be the long awaited suspend and resume function!
I suspended my PS4 months ago and have finally resumed playing on it again!

I agree we need a better way of managing our libraries, but folders are kinda 20th Century. I'd much prefer a keyword system. I should be able to tag Resogun as SHMUP, SciFi, and Graphics, and have all of those terms appear in a filter menu, just like you filter by genre or whatever in the Store today. Filtering for SHMUP should show me Resogun and Geometry Wars, while filtering for Graphics should show me Resogun and Driveclub. Bonus points if I can filter for multiple keywords simultaneously, allowing me to see only my turn-based, sci-fi RPGs, or whatever.

Also, we should be able to get to the Filter and Sort menus with L2/R2, just like we can in the Store.

Lastly, I think devs should be able to assign their own tags to games which are then inherited locally when you install, but are still freely editable by the user. Oh, tagging should be done per-user, obviously.

Top Bottom