• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 update 4.70 is out

LordOfChaos

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it when people report changes (no matter how small they are) since we never get complete changelogs.

The web browser image bug introduced in the previous firmware seems to be fixed. In the last firmware images that did not finish loading within a few seconds would have the remaining section to download blanked out. Gifs would also fail to load.

I wish they were doing more on the browser really, 8 Jaguar cores may not light the world on fire but had it been running up to date Webkit specs it would make a reasonably fast web browser for a kid with a PS4, a keyboard and mouse for instance.

As it is, weaker A53 devices outstrip the browser. Running Browserbench Spedometer on it right now and it's taking minutes, my iPhone does it jaw droppingly fast (granted that also has jaw droppingly higher single core performance). (edit: 8 runs per minute, lol. iPhone is 120).

Andrefpvs

One persisting issue I have is that the 'new community posts!' notifications keep happening even if I unchecked the box in settings. I don't want this popup, but I keep getting it. Unless there's something else I need to uncheck. It's been that way for long and I want to get rid of it.

Oh man, this so much. It started happening with 4.50 and it still hasn't been fixed. Unless I leave all of my communities, I still get notified every time anyone makes a post. It's maddening.

I'm starting to get worried that it was an intentional design change, rather than a bug. If so, screw whoever made that decision.

Nothing good happened to notifications when 4.50 was released.

LordOfChaos

Accessing the quick menu in a game became painfully slow, so I rebuilt the database. For a few minutes after rebooting there was what looked like a hard drive or database icon flashing in the top right corner. I don't remember that detail there from before when I did it.

Was still slow while it was flashing, now it seems ok.

doemaaan

Umm, somebody help?

I just loaded up the YouTube app and it's completely rearranged. I'm logged in and the subscription button now gives me suggestions on what I should watch instead of my actual list of subscribed videos, and the library button shows me ALL of my playlists, as opposed to just the Watch Later playlist like before...

The app is useless. I CAN'T see my subscription videos. What the fuck is this???

Umm, somebody help?

I just loaded up the YouTube app and it's completely rearranged. I'm logged in and the subscription button now gives me suggestions on what I should watch instead of my actual list of subscribed videos, and the library button shows me ALL of my playlists, as opposed to just the Watch Later playlist like before...

The app is useless. I CAN'T see my subscription videos. What the fuck is this???

They keep breaking it. They should have left it as it used to be.

Piccoro

Umm, somebody help?

YouTube keeps changing the app. Last year I counted 3 to the number of times the app changed. Better get used to it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh man, this so much. It started happening with 4.50 and it still hasn't been fixed. Unless I leave all of my communities, I still get notified every time anyone makes a post. It's maddening.

I'm starting to get worried that it was an intentional design change, rather than a bug. If so, screw whoever made that decision.

Nothing good happened to notifications when 4.50 was released.

Yeah it's been there for so long, that after numerous updates I think it's definitely intentional. But then the communities checkbox in that settings menu is literally useless.

tsundoku

Umm, somebody help?

This is basically just any form of Youtube working as intended

I'm glad I save often in Persona 5 cause this update straight up corrupted the suspended version I had running in rest mode
never expected the console to force a reboot especiallu without ps plus

LordOfChaos

Umm, somebody help?

Refuse to tolerate this. Sent a message to @AskPlaystation to see what the actual fuck is going on. It's absurd that you can't access your subscriptions through the app.

Doesn't youtube push their own app updates? Nothing to do with PS4 system software. I saw an update to Youtube come in shortly before the 4.70 rollout, just coincidental.

Google can't fucking do a decent youtube UI though, agreed.

Umm, somebody help?

I can still see all of my new subscribed videos. Are you sure you're signed into your YouTube account?

Refuse to tolerate this. Sent a message to @AskPlaystation to see what the actual fuck is going on. It's absurd that you can't access your subscriptions through the app.
Sony don't make the YouTube app. You need to contact YouTube (they make the YouTube app).

OléGunner;238789203 said:
Is the community still kicking a stink about the notification system?
We need the old version back.
I much prefer the new system. No rooting around in multiple sub menus to see all of the notifications.

RedAssedApe

Banned
best thing to do is use your phone or tablet to navigate youtube and cast to your ps4. way easier to get to and search for videos then with the ds4

best thing to do is use your phone or tablet to navigate youtube and cast to your ps4. way easier to get to and search for videos then with the ds4
If you have a USB keyboard plugged into your PS4 then you can just type in your search terms. Very quick and easy.

doemaaan

They keep breaking it. They should have left it as it used to be.

YouTube keeps changing the app. Last year I counted 3 to the number of times the app changed. Better get used to it.

Yeah it's been there for so long, that after numerous updates I think it's definitely intentional. But then the communities checkbox in that settings menu is literally useless.

Doesn't youtube push their own app updates? Nothing to do with PS4 system software. I saw an update to Youtube come in shortly before the 4.70 rollout, just coincidental.

Google can't fucking do a decent youtube UI though, agreed.

I can still see all of my new subscribed videos. Are you sure you're signed into your YouTube account?
So, after not getting any responses from Playstation or Youtube, I tried to figure out what was going on myself... It TURNS out that the email tied to my youtube account gained an extra channel recently. So, I have two channels tied to one gmail account. My original yt channel, with its' original name I've been using for all these years and a newer channel, with it's name being my actual email name.

YT Channel 1: username from 15 years ago
YT Channel 2: username is my email account

I honestly have no idea where the 2nd channel came from, but to get rid of it, I signed in under the email username, went to settings and into the delete account options. There's an option there to delete the services tied to an account. NOT the actual account itself. I selected the youtube service and wallah. YT Channel 2 doesn't exist anymore (takes a couple minutes to be completely erased). Only the original exists now.

I then booted up yt on my ps4 again and signed out of the account. Went into the ps4's system settings and linked up my yt channel again from scratch. Funny thing is, it still shows both the original and email username one when I tried to link yt to my ps4. I made sure to sign in under the original name. App is back to its' shitty normal self again. Home sweet home.

Mp7pmzyg8da5aSw-M2T761P6nyQnUlRkRWPtPcmmc2qu_hEBOK-7uW5Bd0fkWUzvov463IfYRXLAfqMfE7Exp8oi2E9-bq7a536jR3P-47KU1a4dRhigDg=w335-h235-nc

I think this update bricked my ps4.

Are you sure it didn't just screw with your PS4's HDMI output settings? Me and several other user's are still having issues with that. You have to plug your hdmi into another active device and then put in back in the ps4 as a workaround, if that is the case. This is such a ridiculous bug Sony.

Popsickles

has anyone manage to fix the HDMI issue it takes literly a minute or so for aything to display on my Panasonic TV, I can hear sound but it takes ages to show image. Has anyone tried a full reinstall and if so has it helped

has anyone manage to fix the HDMI issue it takes literly a minute or so for aything to display on my Panasonic TV, I can hear sound but it takes ages to show image. Has anyone tried a full reinstall and if so has it helped

I'm getting this to.
Hearing sound, but takes a lot longer (roughly 10 / 15 seconds) to display the image.

I can only imagine / hope it'll be fixed in another update at some point.

Toe-Knee

I'm getting this to.
Hearing sound, but takes a lot longer (roughly 10 / 15 seconds) to display the image.

Isn't this a problem at the TV end? I had this problem with my old Philips that was fixed by a firmware update on the tv

Van Bur3n

There is a witch hunt against gradients and depth these days. We're going back to flat visuals and minimalism. In this particular case, I think it's worser for it. That PS Store symbol looks terrible.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm getting this to.

Hey I had that problem and my workaround was to simply unplug my TV from the power outlet and plugging it back.

It looked more like a problem from my TV but it happened right after an update, might coincidence though.

Popsickles

First thing I tried was factory resetting the TV to test as it has never done that since I have had it and there has been no updates for the TV, didn't help so it must have been 4.70 as that's the only thing that has changed. I will try resetting the PS4 to see if that helps if not we are in the hands of Sony.

I swear, since this update I have had two issues develop.

1) My PS4 never really shuts completely down during standby mode, the fans continue to spin and never ever quit. Not even after the three hours that the Internet connection is supposed to stay alive.

2) My official PS4 Universal Media Remote will not wake the PS4 out of Standby mode. It will turn it on if it is completely turned off, but not out of standby.

I think that perhaps there is an issue with Standby Mode?

Would any of you happen to have an idea for me to try to resolve these?

Thanks!

CJY

Banned
There is a witch hunt against gradients and depth these days. We're going back to flat visuals and minimalism. In this particular case, I think it's worser for it. That PS Store symbol looks terrible.

Totally agree with you

Patrickstul

Neo Member
I was playing the other day and had no issues.

Do you have another controller to try?

i'm trying on steam - gyro works fine, browser keyboard, gaming
not having other controller, but think it's a soft problem, cuz i newly played first light and making a graffiti just fine

bombshell

So I'm using the favourite group function with the shortcut in the quick menu to quickly see if my brother is online. For the past week or so this has been stuck at "Online friends: 0", whether he's online or not. Does anybody else use this function and is it working for you?

Maybe rebuild database will fix it, but wanted to ask here if it's only me seeing this bug before trying it.

Toe-Knee

i'm trying on steam - gyro works fine, browser keyboard, gaming
not having other controller, but think it's a soft problem, cuz i newly played first light and making a graffiti just fine

Ahh so it's only an issue on your old Save file? That makes sense as to why I doesn't have any issues as I just started a new game.

This update is really terrible. Sluggishness all round. Ps4 stutters just navigating my game list. Lots of reports about it bricking game consoles.

Does anyone else have issues running their PS4 through an HDMI switcher since the update? Since this update I have issues with the signal dropping out for 5 seconds or so. I plug the PS4 directly into my receiver and no issue, plug in other game consoles to that same port on the switcher no issues. Just the PS4.

Does anyone else have issues running their PS4 through an HDMI switcher since the update? Since this update I have issues with the signal dropping out for 5 seconds or so. I plug the PS4 directly into my receiver and no issue, plug in other game consoles to that same port on the switcher no issues. Just the PS4.

I have the same, but I think my problem is my Nintendo Switch attached to the HDMI...switcher. If I unplug the Nintendo from it's dock the PS4 signal doesn't drop like you described, but if Nintendo is attached, the drops occur. Would be nice if they fix this.

NYR94

Ever since this update I haven't been able to use the online functionality in MGSV. I tried rebooting in safe mode and rebuilding the database and also downloading the update again from safe mode but it's still not working. Has their been any official word from Sony on problems with this update? A lot of PS4 users are leaving complaints on downdetector.com as well. Are we going to have to wait for another update to fix this?

deim0s

Ever since this update I haven't been able to use the online functionality in MGSV. I tried rebooting in safe mode and rebuilding the database and also downloading the update again from safe mode but it's still not working. Has their been any official word from Sony on problems with this update? A lot of PS4 users are leaving complaints on downdetector.com as well. Are we going to have to wait for another update to fix this?
Try doing a network test, might help.

Top Bottom