• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

Get on it people!!

VaVoiK1.gif

A_Gorilla

Banned
I have no doubts about it. =) Yeah, I have no complaints on Gaf's moderation. It's certainly more balanced and strict when it needs to be, compared to the forums I used to visit in the past, which often were free nesting grounds for trolls. Although, I imagine the forum might now seem heavily in favor of the PS4 for the newcomers, but things go in cycles, depending on who deserves the flak. ;)

Indeed. From what I've heard back in '06 after E3 this place was essentially XboxLand. And to be fair, I can't blame people, I'm sure even Sony is already looking at the PS3-era as their Dork Age (hurrah for TVTropes!)

PS4 launch was "double PS3 launch".
http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/ps4-launch-double-size-ps3-launch-australia/

XBO launch (~65k in 3 days) was double Wii launch, the previous record holder.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/12/10/xbox-one-most-successful-console-launch-ever-in-australia

PS3 launch was roughly 27k in 10 days.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

Demand for PS4 is obviously higher. All signs seem to point to that. And the shipments are obviously high, because the sales are high. But the Xbox One is shipping to less than half as many territories, it's impossible for Sony to have higher shipments in every territory if both are manufacturing at around the same pace (5-6 million by the end of March). It's more than likely that, launch week aside, MS is shipping more units/week to NA, Australia, and the UK, three of their strongest territories last round.

Ratio is then approximately 6 XB1's : 5 PS4's

Nothing to get overly exited about at present. Still think with the lower price differential, Australia is going to be one of the hottest contested territories though

Indeed. From what I've heard back in '06 after E3 this place was essentially XboxLand. And to be fair, I can't blame people, I'm sure even Sony is already looking at the PS3-era as their Dork Age (hurrah for TVTropes!)

I feel like it's more about being GamingLand, things would be much different around here if Sony continued it's arrogance from 2007 and Microsoft continued it's great Xbox360 launch mindset.

Krisprolls

Banned
Ratio is then approximately 6 XB1's : 5 PS4's

Nothing to get overly exited about at present. Still think with the lower price differential, Australia is going to be one of the hottest contested territories though

And nobody will care that much since there are only 22.6 million people in Australia.

And nobody will care that much since there are only 22.6 million people in Australia.

Don't be like that. Other countries matter even in a business sense. Both console makers are going to want as much of all markets as possible. I'm sure Australia was bumped up the priority list by Sony when they knew they were being outshipped

Krisprolls

Banned
Is it "ironic" that I admonished posters for pointing out units on shelves without considering sell through, after I gave an example of how units on shelves have been misleading in two countries? Is it really?

We don't know how the launch numbers are being reported. We won't know unless until Sony gives exact numbers. The point is, it's less than the XBO, whether that's 1.1:1 or 1.9:1 is irrelevant.

Units on shelves are generally not misleading at all. Consoles which sell out like PS4 don't go on shelves, consoles with less demand go on shelves like XBO does now. Pretty simple really.

It's ironic you had to invent a 2:1 ratio which didn't exist, or talk about Australia, a 20 million people country to make your point.

Considering PS4 sold more everywhere worldwide until now and both were sold out at first, it's probable MS didn't ship a lot more than Sony, because at least at first, they clearly didn't ship more (otherwise being both sold out, MS would have sold more, not less than Sony). So unless MS shipments are suddenly a lot bigger than before, it doesn't make sense.

The most likely explanation is simply there's more PS4 demand. That's why you don't see them on shelves. And lack of demand is why you see XBO or WiiU on shelves.

Melchiah

It certainly was pretty bleak for the PS fans here and everywhere else back then, which is why I was in no hurry to buy the system at launch. Only bought it when the backwards compatible 60GBs were going extinct, and my launch PS2 started having problems with reading discs. Luckily they eventually managed to claw their way out of the pit they had dug themselves into.

jcm

Is it "ironic" that I admonished posters for pointing out units on shelves without considering sell through, after I gave an example of how units on shelves have been misleading in two countries? Is it really?

We don't know how the launch numbers are being reported. We won't know unless until Sony gives exact numbers. The point is, it's less than the XBO, whether that's 1.1:1 or 1.9:1 is irrelevant.

Pretty sure people are jumping on you since you issued a call for "unbiased observation" only, and then immediately followed it up with an inaccurate, unsubstantiated statistic.

viveks86

Whoa! This website needs more visibility! Here's the stock around my area - San Jose:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#find-in-store/28802344/37.333/-121.892

12 out of 16 stores have stock.

the stock updates once a day so you can't go based off that
Ah I see. At least people can check it out once a day to see if new stock has arrived? They seem to update at 12 AM

Bsigg12

What time does it update? I personally saw a PS4 at the Leland one around 1:30-2:00 yesterday afternoon.

I believe 3am each day. In store counts done in the store are typically correct to within a unit or two depending on how high theft the store is but anything online or store checking another store go off the server that only updates in the early morning.

TTSupra

Banned
Hmm I tested walmart stock checker once a while ago by buying all there 7.62x39 ammo and took it around 45 mins to change to OOS online. Which was around mid day also.

Sams Club is a weird place to buy video games. I went there and asked if they had any PS4s to sell, the guy told me they never received ANY PS4s because they had no demand for PS4s for their store. He said only 12 Sams Club were given PS4s, not sure if he meant in state or national. Either way I sort of laughed, since they had a display of 30 (Empty boxes) Xbox Ones soon as you walk in. No Wii U's either, plenty of PS3s and Xbox 360s as well.

Second story in my city where stores didn't even get PS4s because they had no demand for them. FYE also had no PS4s, when I brought in their ad (outside their store) that said "PS4 AVAILABLE NOW" he actually told me they never received any PS4s. :p He said their was no demand and no one pre-ordered one. They have no Xbox Ones either, they only got like 10 to cover Pre-Orders he said. So no luck getting either at FYE in Provo, and no luck getting PS4s at Sams Club in Provo.

Finding a PS4 here yesterday was a real journey. :p

Sams Club is a weird place to buy video games. I went there and asked if they had any PS4s to sell, the guy told me they never received ANY PS4s because they had no demand for PS4s for their store. He said only 12 Sams Club were given PS4s, not sure if he meant in state or national. Either way I sort of laughed, since they had a display of 30 (Empty boxes) Xbox Ones soon as you walk in. No Wii U's either, plenty of PS3s and Xbox 360s as well.

Second story in my city where stores didn't even get PS4s because they had no demand for them. FYE also had no PS4s, when I brought in their ad (outside their store) that said "PS4 AVAILABLE NOW" he actually told me they never received any PS4s. :p He said their was no demand and no one pre-ordered one. They have no Xbox Ones either, they only got like 10 to cover Pre-Orders he said. So no luck getting either at FYE in Provo, and no luck getting PS4s at Sams Club in Provo.

Finding a PS4 here yesterday was a real journey. :p

That's just the weirdest antecdal evidence I've ever heard. I'm not saying it didn't happen but that's just odd

I guess no one thought to pre-order at Frys?

Can you even pre-order at sams club?

mrwilt

I just left Best Buy in Frederick, MD and they had ~50 Xbox Ones and no PS4s. They were in a stack and under the counters in the middle of the center point of sale. A Sony Rep was there installing updates to the demo unit. She said demand is unbelievable right now and Sony is shipping a million consoles a month worldwide.

That's just the weirdest antecdal evidence I've ever heard. I'm not saying it didn't happen but that's just odd

Not Frys, but FYE, For Your Entertainment. Really small electronics and hobby store in some states, I see why no one pre-ordered there.

Sams Club doesn't do pre-orders I believe. I don't see why anyone would buy games at Sams Clubs either, not much of a benefit for it either.

The demand for PS4s is definitely here in my city, Wal-Mart (both I went to in 2 different cities, mine doesn't have one) sold out within 30 minutes. I know one had 24 PS4s, and sold out by 8:24? The other had like 8, or so since they sold out within the first 8 people in line. BestBuy I also went too had 8 people waiting outside for a PS4, though they didn't have any in stock. GameStop had 3, and had 5 people waiting outside, I managed to snag another PS4 here.

No, he is right. Our manager said we wouldn't get any PS4's til 2014 and here they are. I just don't think they know what they are getting.

JABEE

Sam's Club is probably one of the best places to buy launch consoles. I was able to get in line 15 minutes before the store opened to get the Wii in November 2006. It's always one of the last places people check for new consoles.

Not Frys, but FYE, For Your Entertainment. Really small electronics and hobby store in some states, I see why no one pre-ordered there.

Sams Club doesn't do pre-orders I believe. I don't see why anyone would buy games at Sams Clubs either, not much of a benefit for it either.

The demand for PS4s is definitely here in my city, Wal-Mart (both I went to in 2 different cities, mine doesn't have one) sold out within 30 minutes. I know one had 24 PS4s, and sold out by 8:24? The other had like 8, or so since they sold out within the first 8 people in line. BestBuy I also went too had 8 people waiting outside for a PS4, though they didn't have any in stock. GameStop had 3, and had 5 people waiting outside, I managed to snag another PS4 here.

Yeah that's what I meant because there's always going to be a baseline demand for both new consoles regardless which one is more etc.

Having no demand for either one or both seems insane but I guess it's just because people didn't think to pre-order there. Oh and noted it's FYE not Fry's, my mistake

No, he is right. Our manager said we wouldn't get any PS4's til 2014 and here they are. I just don't think they know what they are getting.

Hmm Sam's Club? FYE? Still interesting to hear

paolo11

I finally got my Xbox One at Best Buy in Northridge, CA. There are numerous in stock. I thank and praise God for that. :)

Giggzy

I hope all the Aussies are buying X1's instead of PS4's due to my selfish reasoning of having a higher chance of hearing their sexy accents. AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OY OY OY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom