• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Whoa there buddy, if I was " mandating anything" this thread would be locked and closed pages ago. I am expressing opinion, as I am given to do, nothing more. As was pointed out above, this is not an official data thread. However that being the case, people can still be civil. :)

As far as things being 'the other way around,' what does that mean exactly, people feel 'owed'?

No, just saying both parties should be treated equally in good and bad, no matter who's the bottom dog. Like I said, I don't remember there being any attempts of restricting the jabs back then, when the threads were filled with the memes of the time. Which is exactly why I'm fed up with the gaming press, as the yesteryears' nitpicking of every detail has turned into downplaying the differences, be it minor or major, but that topic doesn't really belong into this thread. ;) Anyways, I don't think that particular post was that bad or uncivil.

EDIT:
It's funny. Preceding that, I do seem to recall discussions of a technical nature generally favoring cell technology and potential, coupled with an 'Xbox 1.5' attitude. So in that sense, things haven't really changed :). Also, the idea of "camps" that have stayed constant over the past 6 to 7 years, is fairly ridiculous. A good number of people buying and playing the PlayStation 4 played Xbox 360 this last generation.

Regardless, such behavior is neither warranted nor particularly encouraged.

And I recall all the "second job", "599$", "Riiiiidge Raceeeeer!", "4D", and "the PS3 has no games", that were presented in pretty much every PS3 related thread back then. =) IIRC, it was given, that at least one of those was featured among the first comments on the threads. So, in that sense posting similar things about the current blunders wouldn't be out of the norm considering the forum's history. ;)

What district ? Do y'all have the consoles out on display or hiding in the back? Managers tend to do that these days. Put up some advertisement to inform people they are not sold out.
Holy shit, dude. The desperation... I can TASTE it. Why are you so invested in this? Can you literally not imagine a world where the PS4 has higher demand than the XB1? Or am I falling for a really determined and masterful troll?

They're just plastic, man. This stuff might be fun to follow, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that important to our daily lives.

What we had left after closing today:

KHaii81.jpg

It's one week until Christmas, right?

Krisprolls

Banned
Haha. This thread

arbitrary incidental data /= conclusions

Well, when you have dozens of Xbox One available on shelves everywhere and no PS4 available anywhere, it's not incidental data anymore. It's actually surprising Xbox One already has trouble selling out and it's not even christmas yet. Doesn't bode that well for MS.

Basically, you can already say the demand is a lot higher for PS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Regular xbone is available on BestBuy.com as well.

It's been on Best Buy and Amazon since before the weekend, without break. If I also use Best Buy's lookup tool (you have to plug it in, they don't have the link on the console's page) every area best buy has had xbone since around last Wednesday.

If you are in the US and struggling to get an xbone, you are doing it wrong.

edit - PS4 is still showing relatively significant availability in the area on Walmart.com stock checker also. 8 stores in the area are still showing "in stock" availability with 6 showing out of stock and one showing limited stock. Fortunately walmart's locator is linked on the product page.

bill0527

My local walmart had 4 Xbones sitting in the glass case Saturday night, no PS4 systems. This was before they supposedly had a big shipment of both to put out for Sundays sale ad.

Then like the asshole I am, I proceeded to go to Craigslist and shit all over the scalpers by letting people know where they could get Xbones.

No, just saying both parties should be treated equally in good and bad, no matter who's the bottom dog. Like I said, I don't remember there being any attempts of restricting the jabs back then, when the threads were filled with the memes of the time. Which is exactly why I'm fed up with the gaming press, as the yesteryears' nitpicking of every detail has turned into downplaying the differences, be it minor or major, but that topic doesn't really belong into this thread. ;) Anyways, I don't think that particular post was that bad or uncivil.

EDIT:

And I recall all the "second job", "599$", "Riiiiidge Raceeeeer!", "4D", and "the PS3 has no games", that were presented in pretty much every PS3 related thread back then. =) IIRC, it was given, that at least one of those was featured among the first comments on the threads. So, in that sense posting similar things about the current blunders wouldn't be out of the norm considering the forum's history. ;)

I always thought the reason the old retail musing threads were closed wasn't because of people picking on one console or the other, it was because people used it as forum to post what they *wish* was happening rather than what was happening. One guy was actually using Amazon rankings as his "store" anecdotes. So you can see why console cheerleading actually hurts the topic.

The point is, a retail thread should be treated like a part of sales-age. There should be unbiased observation that allows us to predict trends. If you spoke with customers at the retail level and their sentiment was "MS sucks/Nintendo is too expensive/Sony is God", that would be relevant to the discussion.

Well, when you have dozens of Xbox One available on shelves everywhere and no PS4 available anywhere, it's not incidental data anymore. It's actually surprising Xbox One already has trouble selling out and it's not even christmas yet. Doesn't bode that well for MS.

Basically, you can already say the demand is a lot higher for PS4.

It's kind of silly to ignore raw numbers being sold and only focus on the units on shelves. Selling at a decent pace with 1000 units is still preferable to selling at a brisk pace with 200 units. The situation in Australia is bizarre, the way some people post you wouldn't guess that MS is ahead like 2:1. If the One outsells the PS4 in December in the US with over a million units sold that would still indicate strong demand, even if it isn't as high as the record breaking pace set by the PS4

Zachi

Banned
Haha. This thread

arbitrary incidental data /= conclusions

there' no one general conclusion per say. You don't need to buy our stories, just do your own small research, go ask your own local retailers, from there you can choose which story to believe, that's all.

Melchiah

I always thought the reason the old retail musing threads were closed wasn't because of people picking on one console or the other, it was because people used it as forum to post what they *wish* was happening rather than what was happening. One guy was actually using Amazon rankings as his "store" anecdotes. So you can see why console cheerleading actually hurts the topic.

The point is, a retail thread should be treated like a part of sales-age. There should be unbiased observation that allows us to predict trends. If you spoke with customers at the retail level and their sentiment was "MS sucks/Nintendo is too expensive/Sony is God", that would be relevant to the discussion.

I agree with that. The sales debate, that's based on personal beliefs, doesn't really belong to this thread.

On a side note. I kinda regret now, that I cancelled my backup PS4 pre-order, as I could have given it to a fellow Gaffer residing in Helsinki/Finland. Oh well, what's done is done.

gtj1092

It's kind of silly to ignore raw numbers being sold and only focus on the units on shelves. Selling at a decent pace with 1000 units is still preferable to selling at a brisk pace with 200 units. The situation in Australia is bizarre, the way some people post you wouldn't guess that MS is ahead like 2:1. If the One outsells the PS4 in December in the US with over a million units sold that would still indicate strong demand, even if it isn't as high as the record breaking pace set by the PS4

2:1 you say care to post your data. Or is that just what you think or "wish"?

The weekend is over and you can still find xbone in my area, Kitchener Ontario. PS4 is completely sold out. Judging by the Red Flag Deals forum, it seems to be the case for most of southern Ontario.

2:1 you say care to post your data. Or is that just what you think or "wish"?

The Xbox One had a record breaking launch in AU, and is factually ahead of the PS4 in that country as of today. The PS4 is sold out, obviously, but it's not completely informative to say "Xbox available everywhere, PS4 hottest thing since Wii" when MS has shipped an overwhelming number of boxes in some limited territories, and sold through a decent chunk of them.

GhaleonEB

Had 76 xbones for sunday release. Came in this morning to 46 still there. That comes to roughly 460 unsold consoles in the district as well.

It isnt logistics guys. It isnt selling.

It's not selling out. But you just described a console selling 30 units in one store in one day. That's selling.

Zachi

Banned
The Xbox One had a record breaking launch in AU, and is factually ahead of the PS4 in that country as of today. The PS4 is sold out, obviously, but it's not completely informative to say "Xbox available everywhere, PS4 hottest thing since Wii" when MS has shipped an overwhelming number of boxes in some limited territories, and sold through a decent chunk of them.

he just asked where that '2:1' ratio coming from? can you not just answer that?

Prine

Banned

Youd think Xbox One was bombing in Austrailia the way people were posting about it here, was shocked when MS released their press release. Same goes for US in general, didnt expect almost a million sales in 8 days. Usually take these types of threads as autonomous buying behaviour rather than overall indication on whats actually taking place, time and time again NPD paint a completely different picture.

gtj1092

I know its ahead in Australia but you gave a specific 2:1. Do you not believe the demand for Ps4 is higher? How much higher can't be determined since there isn't infinite supply but I would say most would agree its higher. Also just because Ps4s aren't making it to shelves doesn't mean Sony is shipping any less than MS.

Harts316

Regardless of what the PS4 is doing, the Xbox One is still selling way better than any of the previous generations of consoles did during their launch periods. It is one thing to point out that Sony is killing it in regards to sales, but to try to paint Microsoft selling 900K units in a week and the fact that there happens to be consoles on the shelves as a disaster for the Xbox brand is a bit silly.

I think that is impressive that both companies have managed to keep a steady stock during the holiday season.

The fact that both consoles are selling well is good news for gamers everywhere.

Krisprolls

Banned

It's not silly at all since PS4 is already on top worldwide according to latest sales numbers, so it's hardly shipping less.

Nobody cares about Australia, it must be 1 % of worldwide sales, maybe Sony shipped less there.

The point is you have reports of Xbox One on shelves everywhere in the US and in Europe and still no PS4 to be found, so there's no way it would mean anything else than a better demand for PS4 worldwide, where it matters.

spookyfish

Put me in the anecdotal camp.

Three Xbox Ones in the case at a Target in North Atlanta, as of late afternoon yesterday.

While looking at the blu-rays, i heard the CSR tell several people who were asking for PS4s they would hopefully have more in soon.

Conclusion: I like blu-rays.

jcm

So you call for unbiased observation in one paragraph and then invent a number in the next? Physician, heal thyself.

Regardless of what the PS4 is doing, the Xbox One is still selling way better than any of the previous generations of consoles did during their launch periods. It is one thing to point out that Sony is killing it in regards to sales, but to try to paint Microsoft selling 900K units in a week and the fact that there happens to be consoles on the shelves as a disaster for the Xbox brand is a bit silly.

I think that is impressive that both companies have managed to keep a steady stock during the holiday season.

The fact that both consoles are selling well is good news for gamers everywhere.

This is a good summation of the situation, in my opinion. They're both really doing well so far, and as a console-gamer I'm glad to see it.

Krisprolls

Banned

Xbox One is not a disaster but it should at least sell out before christmas. Even the Wii U sold okay before christmas. You shouldn't have tons of pictures of Xbox One on shelves right now...

Pug

Xbox One is not a disaster but it should at least sell out before christmas. Even the Wii U sold okay before christmas. You shouldn't have tons of pictures of Xbox One on shelves right now...

Not a disaster! it's sold 2 million units in less than 3 weeks.

Harts316

Hasn't the Xbox One sold more than the Wii U did during its launch already? On what planet is 900K consoles sold at $499 in a week not OK? The issue is that people are extrapolating holiday sales and health of the brand on a picture of a pallet of consoles in some random store in the United States.

Prine

Banned

Which is a good sign, as NPD proved. MS are doing a great job of stocking their channels.

The weekend is over and you can still find xbone in my area, Kitchener Ontario. PS4 is completely sold out. Judging by the Red Flag Deals forum, it seems to be the case for most of southern Ontario.

I also live in Kitchener and picked up a PS4 at the Future Shop on Ottawa St. I lucked out. :)

Kosh

i just walked into my local Walmart and bought a PS4. I checked the website and it said they were in stock. The sales clerk told me they got about 60 in yesterday and sold them within an hour. He then said, someone found a case of them overnight in the back and there were two left. I think I just got really lucky.

I know its ahead in Australia but you gave a specific 2:1. Do you not believe the demand for Ps4 is higher? How much higher can't be determined since there isn't infinite supply but I would say most would agree its higher. Also just because Ps4s aren't making it to shelves doesn't mean Sony is shipping any less than MS.

PS4 launch was "double PS3 launch".
http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/ps4-launch-double-size-ps3-launch-australia/

XBO launch (~65k in 3 days) was double Wii launch, the previous record holder.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/12/10/xbox-one-most-successful-console-launch-ever-in-australia

PS3 launch was roughly 27k in 10 days.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

Demand for PS4 is obviously higher. All signs seem to point to that. And the shipments are obviously high, because the sales are high. But the Xbox One is shipping to less than half as many territories, it's impossible for Sony to have higher shipments in every territory if both are manufacturing at around the same pace (5-6 million by the end of March). It's more than likely that, launch week aside, MS is shipping more units/week to NA, Australia, and the UK, three of their strongest territories last round.

Racer1977

I work in a GAME store in Scotland.

After we ran out of PS4 pre-orders for January, we stopped taking pre-orders altogether. Every week we get a big shipment of PS4s, over 100 consoles. All of them are for fulfilling pre-orders

You can pick up an Xbone today, but only as part of our infamous 'mega deals', I.e. You have to buy 3 games with it.

This is often overlooked - the fact stores that traditionally take pre-orders are still fulfilling these. PS4's out in the wild tend to be at stores like Argos and supermarkets, but are likely to be picked up by those doing their weekly shop and luck upon them*.

*Obviously talking about those after a PS4, not just shoppers making an impulse purchase.

Shingro

i just walked into my local Walmart and bought a PS4. I checked the website and it said they were in stock. The sales clerk told me they got about 60 in yesterday and sold them within an hour. He then said, someone found a case of them overnight in the back and there were two left. I think I just got really lucky.

Jesus, lucky doesn't even begin to describe it c_c

gtj1092

PS4 launch was "double PS3 launch".
http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/ps4-launch-double-size-ps3-launch-australia/

XBO launch (~65k in 3 days) was double Wii launch, the previous record holder.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/12/10/xbox-one-most-successful-console-launch-ever-in-australia

PS3 launch was roughly 27k in 10 days.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

Demand for PS4 is obviously higher. All signs seem to point to that. And the shipments are obviously high, because the sales are high. But the Xbox One is shipping to less than half as many territories, it's impossible for Sony to have higher shipments in every territory if both are manufacturing at around the same pace (5-6 million by the end of March). It's more than likely that, launch week aside, MS is shipping more units/week to NA, Australia, and the UK, three of their strongest territories last round.

So around 65K vs 54K.

So around 65K vs 54K.

That 27k was over 10 days.

It's 2:1 if you're bad at maths or your name is Major Nelson.

You guys seem intent on focusing on my "like 2:1" approximation and ignoring the fact that the XBO had a higher launch, due to *gasp* a bigger shipment. Consoles visibly on shelves does not mean a console isn't selling. We already know that MS outshipped Sony on black Friday in the US, resulting in a close November NPD even though the PS4 had a record breaking first weekend and is continually sold out.

gtj1092

That 27k was over 10 days.

You guys seem intent on focusing on my "like 2:1" approximation and ignoring the fact that the XBO had a higher launch, due to *gasp* a bigger shipment. Consoles visibly on shelves does not mean a console isn't selling. We already know that MS outshipped Sony on black Friday in the US, resulting in a close November NPD even though the PS4 had a record breaking first weekend and is continually sold out.

But the ps4 number isn't over 10days. Launch is being used in general. Unless you know how many Ps3s were sold in its first 3 days you can only surmise the double refers to the 27k.

Its because of the irony of your post admonishing other posters anecdotes then creating a 2:1 sales ratio in Australia.

Melchiah

I seem to recall coming to the PlayStation 3's defense more than once ;-).

But, let's be honest, we've grown since then. Every company gets its licks, especially those that are truly deserved (Microsoft's recent stupidity with DRM). These discussions, on the whole, are more than a collection of memes however. IIRC, There are more mods, and we take a more active role in making sure threads don't dissolve into mindless drivel. In general, there are plenty of things that got a pass seven years ago do not get a pass today.

I have no doubts about it. =) Yeah, I have no complaints on Gaf's moderation. It's certainly more balanced and strict when it needs to be, compared to the forums I used to visit in the past, which often were free nesting grounds for trolls. Although, I imagine the forum might now seem heavily in favor of the PS4 for the newcomers, but things go in cycles, depending on who deserves the flak. ;)

But the ps4 number isn't over 10days. Launch is being used in general. Unless you know how many Ps3s were sold in its first 3 days you can only surmise the double refers to the 27k.

Its because of the irony of your post admonishing other posters anecdotes then creating a 2:1 sales ratio in Australia.

Is it "ironic" that I admonished posters for pointing out units on shelves without considering sell through, after I gave an example of how units on shelves have been misleading in two countries? Is it really?

We don't know how the launch numbers are being reported. We won't know unless until Sony gives exact numbers. The point is, it's less than the XBO, whether that's 1.1:1 or 1.9:1 is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom