• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

My roommate picked up an Xbox One today from Best Buy. Had to ask the worker to get one from the back. Retailer said both consoles would sell out very quickly every time new ones came in.

REDRZA

Banned
Agreed. The One has consistently been available as Microsoft has provided a steady stream to meet demand. They are most certainly manufacturing more than the competition. December NPD is where The One will leave it's mark.

Manufacturing more? Or selling in FAR less regions? The PS4 is being manufactured and shipped to many more territories, hence they are harder to find.

I'm not used to monitoring sales during console launches, but is it normal for the demand/supply issues to not be ironed out, even come January, when people normally buy the least? I said January NPD, because I thought that would be when we'd stop seeing supply constraints since it's not the holiday season. Not trying to say NPD is an end to anything.

And also, it goes without saying, I'm speaking about US demand. I can't believe people in this thread *cough*TommyManberg*cough* are equating US=World in this supply analysis. Sheesh.

It's pretty normal, and this is the biggest launch in console history, many fold. The 360 and PS3 launched a year apart. These two launched a week apart and yet have both crossed the 2million barrier, meaning over 4million 'next gen' consoles in the $400-500 range had been sold as of early december, in about a 3-week timeframe or so IIRC. That's just crazy. (Still haven't quite locked down whether we're talking about numbers shipped, or numbers sold-through to customers at this point, though.)

I have a feeling supply restraints will continue, at least for the PS4 due to launching in so many regions, at least through Jan/Feb. You have to remember a lot of folks will get money from friends/family for christmas and will pool it all together to try to go get a console if they didn't get one for Christmas.

Then there's tax refund season. I can see a lot of people dropping $400-500 on a console after they get money that isn't part of their regular budget when they receive their income tax refund here in the states.

I'm looking more toward like late spring/early summer next year for a real measuring stick of which one is in higher demand in the states, at least when it comes to NPD numbers. Anything between now and then is just less impactful due to supply chain issues, at least for PS4. Some might say XB1 isn't supply constrained at all, but until they open up their sales to the Tier 2 and 3 countries, it's hard to say with any certainty because they appear to be sitting on shelves too long in the states due to having a great deal higher allocation than is normal for a launch window of a new console.

baphomet

2 Gamestops and a Best Buy. All 3 had Xbox Ones and no PS4's in stock. Best Buy had at least 15 or so in cages. The Gamestops had 3 and 5, respectfully, sitting on the counter behind them. Probably more in the back. Denver, CO area.

Cornbread78

Holy shit at all the fanboy warfare in this thread....

The PS4 isn't goin to outsell the XB1 3:1 this holiday season( in the US), and there is demand for both, just a lil' more hype at retail for the system that is $100 cheaper, and that is the only real reason. From talking to thousands of people at the retail level, nobody knows the difference, only some of the reviews and the commercials, 1080 vs 720 doesn't mean anything either. The economy still sucks and it's cheaper.... All about price for many parents that want to hook their kids up.

Both systems are selling great, which we should all be happy with a healthy industry.

Both systems have been flying off the shelves and selling out at retail and will throughout the week until after Christmas. I'm more interested to see how many more stores get PS4s again this Sun., as they seem to be really pumping them out every Sun. the last couple weeks.. Best Buy is saying it's their turn again this weekend...

hwy_61

Banned

The PS4 isn't goin to outsell the XB1 3:1 this holiday season( in the US), and there is demand for both, just a lil' more hype at retail for the system that is $100 cheaper, and that is the only real reason. From talking to thousands of people at the retail level, nobody knows the difference, only some of the reviews and the commercials, 1080 vs 720 doesn't mean anything either. The economy still sucks and it's cheaper.... All about price for many parents that want to hook their kids up.

Both systems are selling great, which we should all be happy with a healthy industry.

Both systems have been flying off the shelves and selling out at retail and will throughout the week until after Christmas. I'm more interested to see how many more stores get PS4s again this Sun., as they seem to be really pumping them out every Sun. the last couple weeks.. Best Buy is saying it's their turn again this weekend...

You're acting like $100 difference is not that big of a deal. I would say that $100 difference alone is major. That, and the fact that MS hasn't been able to shake the stink of E3 off successfully. I mean, I still hear people talk about the used games thing! I would think PS4 will sell way more this holiday. And that's not a fanboy thing to say. I'm just sharing my opinion.

Cornbread78

You're acting like $100 difference is not that big of a deal. I would say that $100 difference alone is major. That, and the fact that MS hasn't been able to shake the stink of E3 off successfully. I mean, I still hear people talk about the used games thing! I would think PS4 will sell way more this holiday. And that's not a fanboy thing to say. I'm just sharing my opinion.

I think we're actually saying the same thing, that $100 to parents is an extra controller and a game for siblings to play together, that is more of a representation of what general public America has been saying, not the fanboy/hardcore crowd.. The $100 matters the most.

cakefoo

That much is obvious. Still, let's try and keep this thread even tangentially informative for those interested in finding either console.
Xbox One is incredibly easy to get online. It helps people who are looking for one, to know that.

And it's incredibly easy to know how long it's been in stock without having to monitor every hour.

hardvibes

LOL @ those pics.

I just spoke to a few friends in Italy and they all say the same:

PS4: "sold out until next march"
Xbone: "plenty in stock and nobody around them"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

You talked to a thousand people eh. Huh.

Polo67

Xbox One is incredibly easy to get online. It helps people who are looking for one, to know that.

And it's incredibly easy to know how long it's been in stock without having to monitor every hour.

It is easy to get online thanks to their manufacturing and allocation process. Maybe MS is stuffing the west to maintain their stronghold in the Americas.

Replicant

If US is really that thirsty for Xbone, MS can always divert our seemingly never-ending stock in Australia:

cZ742oK.png

http://www.ebgames.com.au/

Replicant

It's becoming increasingly clear over the course of the day that people are, again, getting emotionally invested in whichever console sells out or sells through. It's, frankly, a little disappointing to watch another thread slowly devolve into a dickwaving contest by proxy. I think we will need an official availability thread that eschews the sales wars bullshit for actual tangible info. As such, people won't feel the need to "come to bat" for their chosen plastic box of choice.

If that's your intention, I don't think doing this is doing this thread any favor:

m0dus said:
Um. U mad, bro? :/

It makes it look like you are as invested in the war as the rest of us. Especially when the guy you responded to was just making a sarcastic quip that wasn't directed to anyone else.

It's becoming increasingly clear over the course of the day that people are, again, getting emotionally invested in whichever console sells out or sells through. It's, frankly, a little disappointing to watch another thread slowly devolve into a dickwaving contest by proxy. I think we will need an official availability thread that eschews the sales wars bullshit for actual tangible info. As such, people won't feel the need to "come to bat" for their chosen plastic box of choice.

It's herd behavior, you know? It's just one of those less-than-endearing features of humanity that you can't change without the physical equivalent of "coding to the metal", our cognitive levels were always a bit of a stopgap solution, what with having the high-speed, low-bandwidth priority overrides for the reptilian hindbrain rather than the sort of unified access cognition that would be better off for modern living, to say nothing for how much more efficiently we could operate if we weren't designed to trigger off visual cues that largely have lost relevance to our modern living conditions, causing any number of false positives and failures to recognize important input.

I daresay that it all happens at such a completely subliminal level that we display our crude biases without even being aware we're doing so!

I don't think Australia was allocated very large quantities of stock. It certainly didn't beat the X1's biggest console launch in history

Most certainly. I just find the use of the $100 markup for the XB1 silly considering the markup is more on the PS4

The real reasoning is the supply as Australia seems to have gotten a much larger supply of XB1's than almost any region besides US and UK

Availability as of 1a.m. on December 16th for United States (specifically San Antonio, Texas and online purchase).

Amazon:

XB1: Available December 23rd
PS4: No availability info available for sale or preorder, redirects you to Amazon affiliate sellers starting at $699.

Target:

XB1: States that it is in stock for store purchase at one of my local stores in San Antonio, TX. Cannot purchase online at this time.
PS4: No stock available online or in store, pending possible arrival of more units in the early mornings this week (according to a couple store managers near me)

Walmart:

XB1: Out of stock online, available in store at the first 2 walmart supercenters I checked in the San Antonio area
PS4: Out of stock online, checked 4 stores in San Antonio to no avail. All of them say to try back each morning this week to see if they get a shipment (typical response)

Microsoft store: Has XB1 in stock last I checked, but that was late last week. It seems not many people make the logical connection to check here considering it's their product.

Sony store: We don't have one here AFAIK.

Gamestop: Can't check availability due to work firewall.

dmr87

Afaik, the PS4 has been completely sold out since launch (29/11) in Sweden (online). If you ordered anywhere recently you can expect to wait until Jan-March to get one, I've seen atleast one store that only lets you order one/person.

I pre-ordered back in June so I got one without any problems so I don't care, just an update.

It's herd behavior, you know? It's just one of those less-than-endearing features of humanity that you can't change without the physical equivalent of "coding to the metal", our cognitive levels were always a bit of a stopgap solution, what with having the high-speed, low-bandwidth priority overrides for the reptilian hindbrain rather than the sort of unified access cognition that would be better off for modern living, to say nothing for how much more efficiently we could operate if we weren't designed to trigger off visual cues that largely have lost relevance to our modern living conditions, causing any number of false positives and failures to recognize important input.

I daresay that it all happens at such a completely subliminal level that we display our crude biases without even being aware we're doing so!

I see what you did there.... 'Clever girl'.

Shingro

My Target store got 9 each of XBO and PS4, opened at 8 am. By 10 am all the PS4s were gone and we had 10 XBOs

... annecdotal but make of it what you will. Didn't really expect another shipment, this is the third in 4 weeks. Maybe shortages will be short lived?

Rizific

My Target store got 9 each of XBO and PS4, opened at 8 am. By 10 am all the PS4s were gone and we had 10 XBOs

... annecdotal but make of it what you will. Didn't really expect another shipment, this is the third in 4 weeks. Maybe shortages will be short lived?

so X1s self reproduce?

viveks86

LMAO!
lol is this real?

Someone returned an XB1 and no one bought one?

Hilarious if true
Either that or the 9 got sold and they restocked 10 more ;)

Shingro

lol is this real?

Someone returned an XB1 and no one bought one?

Hilarious if true

Honest and true, our team leads were cracking up about it. To be fair to the xbo we did sell a few by the time my shift was over. Larger investment and bad press will slow the sales, but MS will (probably) fix most issues and time will erase early pains.

Tsundere

Banned
I think it's less the content of the message, and more the delivery :).

I think you missed the point of that little joke.

This should have been done long ago.

Raist

Banned
Wow , a $100 mark up for the xbone. No wonder they are in stock there.

AUD, not USD. That's USD540 and USD490 respectively. Not sure if prices include taxes in Australia.

Also always wondered why their currency is AU dollars and not AU pounds. Anyone?

edit: because of decimalisation apparently. Weird.

Other proposed names included more exotic suggestions such as the austral, the oz, the boomer, the roo, the kanga, the emu, the digger, the kwid, the dinkum and the ming (Menzies's nickname).

WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT GO FOR KANGA?!

Honest and true, our team leads were cracking up about it. To be fair to the xbo we did sell a few by the time my shift was over. Larger investment and bad press will slow the sales, but MS will (probably) fix most issues and time will erase early pains.

So did someone return an X1? In exchange for a PS4 perhaps?

Where did the tenth unit come from? I must know...

Haha. That seems like a bullshit answer from an employee sick of getting calls asking if PS4 is in stock. I mean, really, their firewall prevents them from accessing their corporate VPN? WTF.

Oh no you misunderstand. It's 1a.m. here (or it was) and Gamestop isn't open. I can't check their website because I'm at work and our firewall prevents me from accessing most gaming related sites. I can only pray they never discover GAF....

Shit! There are ears everywhere, the walls are watching! No one tell them what I typed there...

le.phat

All this tells me is that Microsoft's retail strategy is a lot smarter than Sony's. As a result of smart planning and concentrating on tier one countries like North America, they actually have the supply to meet the demand and are therefore in a very enviable position. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sweep December's NPDs. Sony is learning a tough lesson about what good is having a more powerful, cheaper system if you don't have enough of them to sell and they're really starting off this generation on a bad foot.

Same shit arguements, different gen,, lol.

viveks86

Also always wondered why their currency is AU dollars and not AU pounds. Anyone?

edit: because of decimalisation apparently. Weird.

Not just the decimalisation. It had something to do with the Spanish dollar (which the US dollar is based on) being quite a popular trading currency all around the world, including several common wealth nations.

Raist

Banned
Not just the decimalisation. It had something to do with the Spanish dollar (which the US dollar is based on) being quite a popular trading currency all around the world, including several common wealth nations.

Dunno, Wikipedia didn't mention this. Only happened in 1966 though, they had australian pounds before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom