• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm not disagreeing with you, but we are not talking about language support, we are talking about next gen console supplies and why there appears to be more XB1's available than PS4's and I believe it quite simply comes down to Sony is producing PS4's for almost 4 times as many countries than MS. Which equals more demand.

The answer to this question, that no one is patient enough to wait for, is we have to wait for February 12th, when we recieve January NPD numbers, in order to get a realistic look at demand for both consoles. Supply issues for either Sony or MS are only temporary, and has never really cost a console an entire generation. In fact, two of the most severe cases of supply constraint (Wii, PS2) are two of the best selling home consoles of all time.

February is just so far away =/

Polo67

I'm not disagreeing with you, but we are not talking about language support, we are talking about next gen console supplies and why there appears to be more XB1's available than PS4's and I believe it quite simply comes down to Sony is producing PS4's for almost 4 times as many countries than MS. Which equals more demand.

Ok I understand where you are coming from. Maybe I should focus my attention to a global level and not the US

jaaz

My anecdotal report from today: Best Buy in Naples, Florida had about 15 Xbones at the front of a store with a Best Buy employee asking people if they wanted one. I asked if they had any PS4s and she said "next week". When I went to leave after 45 minutes, the employee had gone and the stack of Xbones did not appear to have changed.

cakefoo

Looks like they all sold...

$720 shipped, 38 sold.
$600-620 shipped. At least that's what I see. Shipping costs might vary, I don't know.

No, they didn't.

Check the purchase history. All of those people with zero feedback? Trolls.

He'll have to put those up again.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, but as a Powerseller myself, a good chunk of the 60 consoles I've sold this past month went to users you'd consider trolls. And you know what? Not one issue. That's right. Ebay, a wasteland of scams, you say? That's just something people dream up to justify their own insecurities.

I believe the reason MS only launched in 13 countries is because of Kinect. The software for all those languages is complex and just not ready.

You really should think critically about the excuses that Microsoft uses.

The majority of the countries they cut from their launch plan speak only languages also spoken in other countries they didn't cut from their launch plan. That explanation makes absolutely no sense, and considering they made it at the same time they announced their Day One Free FIFA deal in the EU, it's pretty obvious they cut countries where they were seeing poor pre-orders numbers from the release slate to shore up their supply in countries where they were seeing more demand.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My best friend, biggest PS fanboy I personally know, bought an Xbone just yesterday at his local Walmart (they had 2 left, he got one of them, this is his very first Xbox console he ever owned) because he didn't want to have to wait to find a PS4 (plus he gets to play online with me now).

So you saying NO ONE is getting a Xbone because they can't find PS4's is not totally true, especially the people out there who know there gonna end up getting both consoles anyway.

"Biggest PS fanboy" would have had no issue preordering one, sniping one online when it came in stock, or paying at most $40-50 more (and still less than a Bone) on Craigslist for one. Just sayin.

Could someone explain to me how MS " winning " December NPD seems to be the most important thing going on atm?

That's weird but ok haha. December NPD thread will be much more fun. 30 days of sales for each console. Plus it will shed some light on supply and demand

How is that? NPD is just for the US. Doesn't say anything about supply / demand unless we look at worldwide sales / supply also.

Replicant

That's because MS mastered US supply stream logistics. Nice and steady sales. No crazy lines and panic. This is how you win December NPD.

ibjTE3n1g73C8W.gif

rich7sena

Banned
Best Buy that I work at has about 25 Xbox Ones that lasted throughout the day and through to closing time. The trend at my store is that demand favors PS4 significantly.

Wut? For 12/29, too?.... Why?

That's technically after the holiday rush. Why would they hold back stock for after Christmas?
Though it's not the question you asked, I can think of two reasons you'd want to have some then. For one, because people receive gift cards and cash for Christmas, which they typically spend very rapidly. And also, people return gifts they don't want and grab what they do. Despite the popular visibility of Black Friday, U.S. retail sales are much higher in December than November (though the weekend after Christmas has to be the lowest one).

That said, you'd never want to hold stock through the holiday and into the next week, so I bet this is more based on shipping date than on any strategy.

Polo67

My anecdotal report from today: Best Buy in Naples, Florida had about 15 Xbones at the front of a store with a Best Buy employee asking people if they wanted one. I asked if they had any PS4s and she said "next week". When I went to leave after 45 minutes, the employee had gone and the stack of Xbones did not appear to have changed.

It's in the realm of possibility that the stack you was looking at was a new stack of xbones. The previous stack sold out and was replaced with a new one by the best buy employee. Next time you go ask them how fast a stack sells.

jester_

It's in the realm of possibility that the stack you was looking at was a new stack of xbones. The previous stack sold out and was replaced with a new one by the best buy employee. Next time you go ask them how fast a stack sells.

Yes because everything we've seen points to Xbox ones disappearing in an hour as soon as they hit the shelves, right?

Use your head and tell me that's REALLY what happened.

Tsundere

Banned

Spin is contagious.

Polo67

Yes because everything we've seen points to Xbox ones disappearing in an hour as soon as they hit the shelves, right?

Use your head and tell me that's REALLY what happened.

Well they did surprise everyone including myself with the 2 million plus sold announcement. I imagine the bulk of that is in the USA.

jester_

Well they did surprise everyone including myself with the 2 million plus sold announcement. I imagine the bulk of that is in the USA.

It took them 2 weeks (world wide, mind you) and it depends what your definition of "bulk" is. Every store I've been to has had Xbox Ones since launch day, including some Day One editions up until last week, so every piece of evidence points to that stack of Xbones being untouched and unreplenished during that 45 minutes.

jedimike

I wasn't surprised... over half the people who are online on my friends list have moved to Xbone. I went to Fred Meyers to get mine and they sold a case (5 consoles) within 20 minutes of opening. The 2nd store I went to, Toys R Us, had 3 left. I bought one and the electronics guy was irritated that I was asking to buy it and was trying to push me into the extended warranty "just in case I changed my mind and wanted a PS4."

Granted, neither store had PS4s but the Xbone stock was certainly moving. Maybe it is because I live in "Microsoft Country" up here in the great state of Washington, but all anecdotal signs (confirmed with the MS presser) points to a great start.

I know lots of people want the Xbone to fail, but initial sales have been great. PS4 levels of great? No, but great nonetheless.

I know it saddens GAF that there is no doom and gloom drama.

cakefoo

Wait. You're serious?

That's because MS mastered US supply stream logistics. Nice and steady sales. No crazy lines and panic. This is how you win December NPD.

Agreed. The One has consistently been available as Microsoft has provided a steady stream to meet demand. They are most certainly manufacturing more than the competition. December NPD is where The One will leave it's mark.

All this tells me is that Microsoft's retail strategy is a lot smarter than Sony's. As a result of smart planning and concentrating on tier one countries like North America, they actually have the supply to meet the demand and are therefore in a very enviable position. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sweep December's NPDs. Sony is learning a tough lesson about what good is having a more powerful, cheaper system if you don't have enough of them to sell and they're really starting off this generation on a bad foot.

Sweeping the NPD means approximately shit when you consider that it is a GLOBAL marketplace. If Sony is selling every console they can manufacture, whether it's in 'Murca or not, means they are doing just fine and dandy.

I won't be surprised if Microsoft sells more Xbox Ones when it comes to NPD, but when it comes to global sales (for which we probably won't have accurate data anyway other than the manufacturers stating how many have been shipped), they should be close to even with Sony having at least a small, if not significant, lead.

Agreed. The One has consistently been available as Microsoft has provided a steady stream to meet demand. They are PROBABLY SHIPPING MORE TO AMERICA than the competition. December NPD is where The One will leave it's mark.

Fixed that for you. :)

Both are doing just fine, but there is no *winner* on either side at this point.

badb0y

I wasn't surprised... over half the people who are online on my friends list have moved to Xbone. I went to Fred Meyers to get mine and they sold a case (5 consoles) within 20 minutes of opening. The 2nd store I went to, Toys R Us, had 3 left. I bought one and the electronics guy was irritated that I was asking to buy it and was trying to push me into the extended warranty "just in case I changed my mind and wanted a PS4."

Granted, neither store had PS4s but the Xbone stock was certainly moving. Maybe it is because I live in "Microsoft Country" up here in the great state of Washington, but all anecdotal signs (confirmed with the MS presser) points to a great start.

I know lots of people want the Xbone to fail, but initial sales have been great. PS4 levels of great? No, but great nonetheless.

I know it saddens GAF that there is no doom and gloom drama.

We won't know the actual state of these consoles until January/February.

jedimike

Sweeping the NPD means approximately shit when you consider that it is a GLOBAL marketplace. If Sony is selling every console they can manufacture, whether it's in 'Murca or not, means they are doing just fine and dandy.

I won't be surprised if Microsoft sells more Xbox Ones when it comes to NPD, but when it comes to global sales (for which we probably won't have accurate data anyway other than the manufacturers stating how many have been shipped), they should be close to even with Sony having at least a small, if not significant, lead.

Completely disagree. NPD is a measuring stick that gets used by retailers and publishers when making decisions about shelf space or creating games. People in the biz want assurance and NPD offers a certain amount of objective assurance.

Chobel

Completely disagree. NPD is a measuring stick that gets used by retailers and publishers when making decisions about shelf space or creating games. People in the biz want assurance and NPD offers a certain amount of objective assurance.

US = world.

What's sad is, even if the PS4 outsells the X1 by a lot WW, if it "looses" in NA people will declare it a failure for no reason whatsoever. We've seen that during last gen with the US = World line of thinking. While I would love to see more supply here in NA (as some of my friends have yet to find one), I'm glad Sony isn't ignoring the rest of the world.

Yea, that's the exact reasoning I"m referring to. :/

Ps4 could sell a million or more WW and it wouldn't matter if they lost by a few thousand in the NPD. that's how ridiculous the logic of some people is.

jedimike

We won't know the actual state of these consoles until January/February.

We'll get company quarterly reports around the end of January. The holiday is what matters. Sales will drop significantly for Sony and MS after the end of the year.

Objective assurance in the United States, not worldwide. And even bearing that in mind, the NPD is not going to influence how many PS4 consoles retailers are ordering from Sony in any way for the immediate future. When supply catches up to demand, it's a different story, but when supply is plenty for both consoles, the NPD numbers are going to look significantly different than at launch.

If every single PS4 that gets ordered by retailers in the states gets sold, those retailers will continue to order as many PS4 consoles as Sony will allow them to. The fact that Sony is selling in almost twice as many countries at the present moment, means they are by necessity reducing the amount allocated to the US.

That does not in any way mean that retailers are gonna look at NPD and say "whelp, looks like the PS4 isn't selling as well as the XB1, guess we better order more XB1 and fewer PS4s!". It's absurd to think that.

As for creating games, as long as both MS and Sony are still shipping consoles out at a steady rate and adoption continues tracking like it is estimated to, 3rd party people in the 'biz' will continue to develope for both consoles if they are financially able to, and 1st party/exclusives will do no different than they have been. Indy devs on tighter budgets might restrict themselves to one or the other, but considering both are allowing self publishing now and both are based on very simiilar architecture, and the nature of *most* Indy games means they won't be pushing the envelope of the hardware performance-wise, there's no reason to think that Indy developers won't be releasing on both systems in order to reach as wide a potential customer base as possible.

The answer to this question, that no one is patient enough to wait for, is we have to wait for February 12th, when we recieve January NPD numbers, in order to get a realistic look at demand for both consoles. Supply issues for either Sony or MS are only temporary, and has never really cost a console an entire generation. In fact, two of the most severe cases of supply constraint (Wii, PS2) are two of the best selling home consoles of all time.

February is just so far away =/

Once again, the 'realistic look' is only going to apply to the United States, and it's not even going to BE a 'realistic look' at demand in the states, at least not for PS4 for sure, because purchases are still being restrained by supply. It probably isn't even a realistic look at XB1 demand either.

When units of both consoles are sitting on shelves for more than a week, and there's plenty of consoles to meet all demand, none are selling on ebay/CL for more than retail, and consumers can simply walk into their store of preference and buy whichever one they prefer, then we can start looking at NPD as a measuring stick of where the demand is at (in the United States).

NPD numbers are interesting, and I'm watching them to for the console-window shakedown, but I'm also not blind enough to think that NPD is the be all or end all of anything when we're this close to launch and supply still hasn't caught up to demand.

I'm sure other people have noticed too but Microsoft has been advertising the Xbox One WAY harder than Sony the PS4 in the US in December. Somewhat related there's still commercials for Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts only mentioning the 360 and XBO versions. The montage ad with Titanfall still shows occasionally. There's still commercials for Forza 5 as well as occasionally Ryse and Dead Rising 3, and there's at least 2 McDonald's commercials with their XBO promotion.

For Sony all I see them still airing is the perfect day commercial, so I won't be surprised if the XBO outsells PS4. Microsoft desperately needs the lead in the US, and their marketing proves that to me.

jedimike

For (US) retailers, they use NPD to determine shelf space. The WiiU will get less space than PS4 or, Xbox One. If Xbox One was tanking in NPD, retailers would (re) act accordingly. When EA goes to male their next, next gen game, they use sales data to broker deals.

NPD is not worthless... if it was, they'd be out of business. It's not a tool created to flame fanboys in console wars.

For (US) retailers, they use NPD to determine shelf space. The WiiU will get less space than PS4 or, Xbox One. If Xbox One was tanking in NPD, retailers would (re) act accordingly. When EA goes to male their next, next gen game, they use sales data to broker deals.

NPD is not worthless... if it was, they'd be out of business. It's not a tool created to flame fanboys in console wars.

You're right, it's not worthless. But it's worth SIGNIFICANTLY less during the launch window when supply constraints mean far more than NPD, because you can't accurately measure how many people are buying something when not everyone that wants to buy it even can. My above post goes into this in further detail.

jester_

When units of both consoles are sitting on shelves for more than a week, and there's plenty of consoles to meet all demand, none are selling on ebay/CL for more than retail, and consumers can simply walk into their store of preference and buy whichever one they prefer, then we can start looking at NPD as a measuring stick of where the demand is at (in the United States).

Myself and lots of GAFfers have seen Day One edition Xbones on the shelf well into December. I really don't think MS is going to out-sell or out-demand the PS4 in NA. Too many people I've talked to in person just don't want one.

jedimike

Sales for Xbox will drop even lower and Sony will win the next couple npds.

Probably... but that doesn't mean the Xbox One is doing poorly. It means that PS4 is off to an amazing start and Xbone is off to a great start. In context, they are both outperforming any console of the past.

jedimike

You're right, it's not worthless. But it's worth SIGNIFICANTLY less during the launch window when supply constraints mean far more than NPD, because you can't accurately measure how many people are buying something when not everyone that wants to buy it even can. My above post goes into this in further detail.

Agreed. It doesn't reflect demand, only supply since everything in the supply chain will be sold.

Myself and lots of GAFfers have seen Day One edition Xbones on the shelf well into December. I really don't think MS is going to out-sell or out-demand the PS4 in NA. Too many people I've talked to in person just don't want one.

I have a feeling Day One Editions that are seen on the shelves are coming from one of two sources:

1. Scalpers who failed miserably because they were asking way too much, so they just decided to return them for a refund and wash their hands of it.

2. The 'trickle' of them that MS had mentioned at one point they were planning on doing. I seem to recall MS saying that they would hold back some Day 1 editions to 'trickle' out throughout the holidays so that people that really wanted a Day 1 but couldn't preorder would have a fighting chance of getting one at MSRP.

Agreed. It doesn't reflect demand, only supply since everything in the supply chain will be sold.

We started out on track for a kurfuffle and wound up agreeing with each other. Why do so many people get banned on GAF when it's this easy to hold hands? Lol.

I love that word... kurfuffle.

Went to about 10 stores today Christmas shopping and each one had xbones. One walmart had 4 ps4s but they were turned around backwards in the glass case. I was tempted to grab an xbone today but I think I'll wait until after the holidays. The gamestop manager I talked to today said they were swimming in xbones. That was his exact quote. Almost seemed he was frustrated they weren't selling.

hwy_61

Banned
So, here's my PS4 story:

6:30am

Woke up, brushed my teeth and headed out to Gamestop. The temp here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago was around the high teens I would say. Stopped at dunkin donuts for some coffee, and then Walgreen's for some hand warmers and Kleenex.

7am

Nobody in line. I was relieved that there weren't any other crazy assholes other than myself. I sat on the GameStop window ledge, and brought out my Vita to play FF7.

7:30am

A middle aged man shows up. We chit chat about our broken welfare system and other things for about an hour.

8:30am

More people show up. Two men this time, one 10 minutes before the other. We all talk about 4k televisions, the Bears. We share our Wii launch stories.

9:00am

Gamestop manager shows up. Tells us that he only has 3 PS4 systems. The 4th man goes home, defeated.

9:30am

Last minute people start showing up. The Gamestop manager makes several trips to the front, telling people that all systems have been accounted for. Most leave upon this revelation, some stay hoping "he had some in the back".

10am

The doors are open to the public. The late people cut to the front of the line, not sure why. The manager points out the people who were there all along. We all cut in front of the late folks. I'm first up. Can't decide what I want with the system. My mind paces between the camera, or a second controller... I go with the controller. I pay for everything, and quickly GTFO. No reason to, I just have watch your back syndrome from growing up in the city.

10:40am

I decide to go to Best Buy at the last minute to pick up Lego Marvel.

11:10am

Make it home, set everything up, and start playing.

Thats my PS4 story. I love the system so far. Lego Marvel is a ton of fun. And that's coming from someone who's given zero fucks about Lego, or marvel for the longest.

This has to be a masterful troll. It's in the realm of possibility, anyway, since this and his other posts read like desperate fan fiction. The spin and mental gymnastics are god-tier.

The Wal-Mart here had a line out the door for PS4s, no line for XB1s. They've also consistently had XB1s in stock for a week or so.

jester_

I have a feeling Day One Editions that are seen on the shelves are coming from one of two sources:

1. Scalpers who failed miserably because they were asking way too much, so they just decided to return them for a refund and wash their hands of it.

2. The 'trickle' of them that MS had mentioned at one point they were planning on doing. I seem to recall MS saying that they would hold back some Day 1 editions to 'trickle' out throughout the holidays so that people that really wanted a Day 1 but couldn't preorder would have a fighting chance of getting one at MSRP.
That is a possible explanation for the boxes that I saw in stores, but I've read at least 2 accounts of retail workers having an abundance of standard AND day one editions and not selling them at all from release day onward.

KoopaTheCasual

Once again, the 'realistic look' is only going to apply to the United States, and it's not even going to BE a 'realistic look' at demand in the states, at least not for PS4 for sure, because purchases are still being restrained by supply. It probably isn't even a realistic look at XB1 demand either.

NPD numbers are interesting, and I'm watching them to for the console-window shakedown, but I'm also not blind enough to think that NPD is the be all or end all of anything when we're this close to launch and supply still hasn't caught up to demand.

I'm not used to monitoring sales during console launches, but is it normal for the demand/supply issues to not be ironed out, even come January, when people normally buy the least? I said January NPD, because I thought that would be when we'd stop seeing supply constraints since it's not the holiday season. Not trying to say NPD is an end to anything.

And also, it goes without saying, I'm speaking about US demand. I can't believe people in this thread *cough*TommyManberg*cough* are equating US=World in this supply analysis. Sheesh.

cakefoo

I'm not used to monitoring sales during console launches, but is it normal for the demand/supply issues to not be ironed out, even come January, when people normally buy the least?
With Wii, the Sunday morning hype events lasted about 18 straight months. It was insane.

So, here's my PS4 story:

6:30am

Woke up, brushed my teeth and headed out to Gamestop. The temp here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago was around the high teens I would say. Stopped at dunkin donuts for some coffee, and then Walgreen's for some hand warmers and Kleenex.

7am

Nobody in line. I was relieved that there weren't any other crazy assholes other than myself. I sat on the GameStop window ledge, and brought out my Vita to play FF7.

7:30am

A middle aged man shows up. We chit chat about our broken welfare system and other things for about an hour.

8:30am

More people show up. Two men this time, one 10 minutes before the other. We all talk about 4k televisions, the Bears. We share our Wii launch stories.

9:00am

Gamestop manager shows up. Tells us that he only has 3 PS4 systems. The 4th man goes home, defeated.

9:30am

Last minute people start showing up. The Gamestop manager makes several trips to the front, telling people that all systems have been accounted for. Most leave upon this revelation, some stay hoping "he had some in the back".

10am

The doors are open to the public. The late people cut to the front of the line, not sure why. The manager points out the people who were there all along. We all cut in front of the late folks. I'm first up. Can't decide what I want with the system. My mind paces between the camera, or a second controller... I go with the controller. I pay for everything, and quickly GTFO. No reason to, I just have watch your back syndrome from growing up in the city.

10:40am

I decide to go to Best Buy at the last minute to pick up Lego Marvel.

11:10am

Make it home, set everything up, and start playing.

Thats my PS4 story. I love the system so far. Lego Marvel is a ton of fun. And that's coming from someone who's given zero fucks about Lego, or marvel for the longest.

Glad you could get one! I got Lego Marvel on the PC and yeah you are right it is awesome. I have not liked a lego game in a very long time, but Marvel is done very well. They did a good job giving a purpose to each of the characters and making each character fun to play in its own way.

Enjoy! Welcome to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom