• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

Dunno, Wikipedia didn't mention this. Only happened in 1966 though, they had australian pounds before that.

They did. But they had dollars even before that. I was trying to explain the rationale behind calling it "dollar" and not something else. Once the pound went away, a lot of countries reverted to calling their currency "dollars", because the term existed worldwide even before the pound was imposed on them. From the same wikipedia page you might have checked:

Australia's first coinage was issued in 1813 by the colony of New South Wales by punching the middle out of Spanish dollars. This process created two parts: a small coin, which was called the dump in Australia, and a ring, which was called a holey dollar. One holey dollar was worth five shillings (a quarter of one pound sterling), and one dump was worth one shilling and three pence (or one quarter of a holey dollar). This was done in order to keep the coins in New South Wales, as they would be valueless elsewhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_pound

Anyway, this is waaay off topic. I hadn't read about it till you brought it up. Was an interesting digression, though :)

darkwing

What we had left after closing today:

KHaii81.jpg

MS is a master at logistics

Replicant

Yeah...no. ;)

iPlXOEcdmlmyL.gif

See, that about sums up my issue with it in the first place. As an example of the attitude which tends to take over these threads, it does nothing to drive the discussion and only serves to cheapen it. Really, every thread involving discussion of both consoles need not go this route.

It's a harmless joke that wasn't intended to hurt anyone. This board already has a lot of restrictions as it is now, it'd be doing everyone a disservice to outlaw quips and jokes. And cheapen what? This thread wasn't exactly an official "PS4/Xbox retail data ONLY" thread, or rather it was never made clear that it can only contain pure data and nothing else. Sure, that kind of thread would have been useful but in that case, let's make it clear from the start and put it as a sticky so everyone can see it and understand that it's not to be tampered with jokes or quips in any shape or form so that those who truly seek for items can zoom in on availability.

But in general, I'm against GAF heading in that kind of direction completely. It reminds me too much of TWoP where the place stops being fun because only facts and facts only can be discussed. One thread only is fine but not for all general discussion.

Zachi

Banned
What we had left after closing today:

wow, that's a mountain load. you should ask the staff, if that's the case of slowing demand or constant supply from microsoft

In my case, all the stores I ask said the story is slowing demand for Xbone

Inside

In Denmark it is almost impossible to get a PS4 before Christmas. One chain just received 1000 Killzone bundles for distribution to its shops, and they where all gone this Friday after the shops opened.

You can easily resell the bundle for 900 dollars as people are crazy for getting one before Christmas.

Melchiah

My best friend, biggest PS fanboy I personally know, bought an Xbone just yesterday at his local Walmart (they had 2 left, he got one of them, this is his very first Xbox console he ever owned) because he didn't want to have to wait to find a PS4 (plus he gets to play online with me now).

So you saying NO ONE is getting a Xbone because they can't find PS4's is not totally true, especially the people out there who know there gonna end up getting both consoles anyway.

Most people only get one console, so their decision won't usually change if they can't find the system they want immediately.

Most people only get one console, so their decision won't usually change if they can't find the system they want immediately.

Absolutely, your correct. But there are those that don't (small minority). My brother bought 2 PS4's and 1 Xbox one (he bought 3!), I bought 2 XB1's, mainly because my daughter wanted the Xbox, if she wanted the PS4 I would have bought her that and still got me an Xbone (couldn't pass up Killer Instinct).

Also, my response was to a post that stated "no one" is going to buy an Xbone if PS4's are sold out. My answer to that was that my buddy did, that's all.

Looks like PS4 is in greater demand than Xbox One.

It very well could be (in the US), but we can all pretty much agree that MS is tossing more of it's eggs into one basket then Sony is, the US is MS home turf, the last thing they want to happen is Sony taking a huge lead, so in response they delay the launch of Xbone in other country's and flood the US market. This strategy is very smart on MS behalf, and a very obvious one which needed to be taken.

One thing is for sure, the Dec NPD numbers are going to very interesting.

Melchiah

See, that about sums up my issue with it in the first place. As an example of the attitude which tends to take over these threads, it does nothing to drive the discussion and only serves to cheapen it. Really, every thread involving discussion of both consoles need not go this route.

I don't remember seeing that mandated over here in the beginning of the last gen, when things were the other way around, so why now? Can't people have little fun, like they did back then?

iPlXOEcdmlmyL.gif

It's a harmless joke that wasn't intended to hurt anyone. This board already has a lot of restrictions as it is now, it'd be doing everyone a disservice to outlaw quips and jokes. And cheapen what? This thread wasn't exactly an official "PS4/Xbox retail data ONLY" thread, or rather it was never made clear that it can only contain pure data and nothing else. Sure, that kind of thread would have been useful but in that case, let's make it clear from the start and put it as a sticky so everyone can see it and understand that it's not to be tampered with jokes or quips in any shape or form so that those who truly seek for items can zoom in on availability.

But in general, I'm against GAF heading in that kind of direction completely. It reminds me too much of TWoP where the place stops being fun because only facts and facts only can be discussed. One thread only is fine but not for all general discussion.

Agreed. The jokes and quips among the facts are what makes Gaf so entertaining.

Caayn

Looks like PS4 is in greater demand than Xbox One.
And that was unexpected? The original policy and PR really hurt the Xbox One despite them being altered months ago. I still overhear people talking about the PS4 and Xbox One and 9/10 times one person says "But for the Xbox you need to be always connected and you can't sell your games" followed by the others mumbling in agreement. I rarely hear others talk about the graphical difference.

when will the shortages end? i have been looking for a PS4 for ages now without any results. even in neighboring countries, sony should really do something about it.

AUD, not USD. That's USD540 and USD490 respectively. Not sure if prices include taxes in Australia.

Also always wondered why their currency is AU dollars and not AU pounds. Anyone?

edit: because of decimalisation apparently. Weird.

WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT GO FOR KANGA?!

Gets confusing when you go to ride on your kangaroo to go to work...you cant name your currency after your main theme of transport

As for stock levels

Went down to the local waterhole to check on the stocks..they had no playstation 4s the xboxs sold out about an hour ago but the cunt behind the counter said more stock will come in this week of both and he said he could fix me up with a ripper new zealand deal in the meantime since nobody likes the Ozzie Nintendo

I walked out of the waterhole with a WiiU that was $200 more than our aus prices but i got a 1 eyed hooker and sheep named velcro thrown in for free.....i love NZ club Nintendo

Apeopleman

Gets confusing when you go to ride on your kangaroo to go to work...you cant name your currency after your main theme of transport

As for stock levels

Went down to the local waterhole to check on the stocks..they had no playstation 4s the xboxs sold out about an hour agobut the cunt behind the counter said more stock will come in this week of both and he said he could fix me up with a ripper new zealand deal in the meantime since nobody likes the Ozzie Nintendo

I walked out of the waterhole with a WiiU that was $200 more than our aus prices but i got a 1 eyed hooker and sheep named velcro thrown in for free.....i love NZ club Nintendo

kSXNjad.jpg

Cornbread78

Whoa there buddy, if I was " mandating anything" this thread would be locked and closed pages ago. I am expressing opinion, as I am given to do, nothing more. As was pointed out above, this is not an official data thread. However that being the case, people can still be civil. :)

As far as things being 'the other way around,' what does that mean exactly, people feel 'owed'?

Persecution Complex from the horrible PS3 launch and the step child treatment the PS3 got for 3rd party games.?

QaaQer

It's herd behavior, you know? It's just one of those less-than-endearing features of humanity that you can't change without the physical equivalent of "coding to the metal", our cognitive levels were always a bit of a stopgap solution, what with having the high-speed, low-bandwidth priority overrides for the reptilian hindbrain rather than the sort of unified access cognition that would be better off for modern living, to say nothing for how much more efficiently we could operate if we weren't designed to trigger off visual cues that largely have lost relevance to our modern living conditions, causing any number of false positives and failures to recognize important input.

I daresay that it all happens at such a completely subliminal level that we display our crude biases without even being aware we're doing so!

Dr. Tversky?

Fehyd

Banned
Had 76 xbones for sunday release. Came in this morning to 46 still there. That comes to roughly 460 unsold consoles in the district as well.

It isnt logistics guys. It isnt selling.

Racer1977

Stock on shelves at this time of year is poor planning/lack of demand. PS4 could still sell strong well into next year, with strong global demand.

I work in a GAME store in Scotland.

After we ran out of PS4 pre-orders for January, we stopped taking pre-orders altogether. Every week we get a big shipment of PS4s, over 100 consoles. All of them are for fulfilling pre-orders

You can pick up an Xbone today, but only as part of our infamous 'mega deals', I.e. You have to buy 3 games with it.

Fehyd

Banned
Ill preface those figures by saying on average 30 xbones get sold a week at my store. Keep in mind one of the wiiu bundles sells about 23ish a week. PS4 sells about 20 but the figure is a bit skewed since we havent gotten a smaller shipment. Something like 140-170 Ps4 are incoming though.

Polo67

Had 76 xbones for sunday release. Came in this morning to 46 still there. That comes to roughly 460 unsold consoles in the district as well.

What district ? Do y'all have the consoles out on display or hiding in the back? Managers tend to do that these days. Put up some advertisement to inform people they are not sold out.

Fehyd

Banned
What district ? Do y'all have the consoles out on display or hiding in the back? Managers tend to do that these days. Put up some advertisement to inform people they are not sold out.

They put up signs in the doors sunday morning and have a bulk stack on the floor. Gonna see how fast the stack goes when we open.

It's not rare at all to see XB1s stacked in the wild. It's just a question of great supply or slowing demand. We're not gonna know the answer to that for months, potentially.

Working in the electronics department of a large retailer, I can tell you (anecdotal, of course) that it is slowing demand. MS and Sony both suck at supplying consoles, but Sony's at least sell when we get them.

Polo67

They put up signs in the doors sunday morning and have a bulk stack on the floor. Gonna see how fast the stack goes when we open.

Ok cool. Post photos if you can. Also be careful. You know how crazy people have been getting mobbing over consoles in store. There is footage all over the Internet.

PSGames

30 consoles in one day at one store isn't selling?

I can't give pictures, but my Walmart (in small-town texas about an hour north of Dallas) got ~55 PS4s in, started selling at 8AM
By noon (when I came in), we had 18 left.
By 6:30 PM, they were gone.

It sounds like the rush of early adoption has ended for Xbone. While it will continue to sell steady, I wouldn't expect another 2million consoles sold in the 18 days after the first announcement of 2 mil sold.

PS4, definitely more supply restrained, but definitely still coveted in a major way.

As supply catches up with demand for PS4 (February/March-ish?), and the consoles are on equal supply footing, a better picture of competitive sales will emerge.

I walked into a Target last week and bought a PS4. I was pretty damn stoked. I went in there to buy a gift bag for a christmas party that i'm going to this week. They didn't have any Xbone's, but i already have one. PS4 is wrapped and under my tree for myself.

Into

Here PS4 is sold out, unavailable everywhere. Xbox One is yet to launch here though

I was in Germany a few days ago and the 3 stores we were at had plenty of Xbox One's, no PS4's, only 2 were up for display/demoing.

Games are available easily for both systems of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom