• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alebrije

It seems in Mexico you can get Xbone everywhere, PS4 is out of stock in some major retailers , Sams Club have an average of 5 pieces per store.

Okay. Just scored my PS4. There were 15 people in line for PS4s and that one lady who was convinced to get both after seeing she was the only person in line not getting a PS4. Unfortunately for the rest, this Target only had 5 PS4s to sell today. One lady in line said she did get a tip that they would be getting a larger shipment tonight to sell on Monday. I didn't get her story corroborated since I no longer care after getting mine, but just throwing that info out there. Good luck to all still seeking one out.

NeOak

Yeah, they didn´t had a choice because they never planned a 2013 launch, as I said back on march. But even considering this, the distance between PS4 and Xbox One will be shorter that PS3 and X360 on USA... that IF Microsoft can keep the distance (I think Sony will cover the supply worldwide by march). But they lost England... and that will hurt

Care to elaborate on that "never planned a 2013 launch"?

XxHeeroxX

Neo Member
friend just got one at gamestop. They had 4 in stock and more than 4 people showed out. this in a dallas suburb by the way, carrollton to be exact.

My cousin is in line for a ps4 at GameStop as we speak, waiting for the store to open.

You can now find xbones in the Los Angeles area easily. I was at toys R us and my cousin was at target the other day and they had them.

Coworker was in line at Walmart this morning to get one. Just got an email from him. He was 10th in line. Store had 9. He did not ask about Xbones. I really want to help him find one for his kids. Anyone know if there will be another restock soon?

maltrain

Care to elaborate on that "never planned a 2013 launch"?

Is pointless at this time, don't you think?

They launched the console in a few countries, with incomplete games like Forza 5 or Killer Instinct... I'm pretty sure their plan were always a 2014 launch with Titanfall as a big hook.

Mumford

It's awful for consumers. I actually tried yesterday at BestBuy "Hey, I know you guys have PS4s in stock, I know you're holding them till Sunday, can you sell me one?"

"No, sorry sir we can't sell them until the release date."

"The PS4 came out a month ago."

"The release date for us to sell these is December 15th."

Ugh. You have it in stock, sell it. Save some for Sunday, but if you have it in stock, and a consumer asks, don't fucking lie to them and say "Oh, we don't have any!"

I'm not trolling. :( Just expressing my anger for this dumb practice being used for the PS4 stock. Only thing you can consider "trolling" is maybe me saying Sony can't send decent stock. I'm not sure what their stock numbers, just doesn't seem to hold up nicely to demand.

PS4 is NOT on Wii's level on demand. Give it 2 more months and the supply will catch up. But as of now, Sony isn't doing as good as a job as I hoped. :(

It was like this at almost EVERY store I tried. They wouldn't let me buy any despite having stock, which is honestly no big deal to me but I can see why people would get upset. I'd be much angrier if I didn't get one this morning honestly, lol. I'm pretty sure most stores were just throwing out stock earlier though and selling out immediately, so they might as well just set a time and date so it's not necessarily a crap shoot I guess. It's not the store's fault for Sony only being able to create as much stock as they did, which apparently is not enough.

Wow, so at BestBuy yesterday some employee told me they'll have some to sell today, and a guy waiting by me also told me an employee also told him the same thing. (His was male while my employee was female).

Turns out today they had nothing to sell. We all walked in and this asked "Are you here for the Xbox?" we said "Playstation" and they told us "We don't have any."

Awful. Not sure what happened to their supposed stock. I actually grabbed a Wii U, and almost bought one along 3D World before I realized I don't even want a Wii U. In this case "something is better than nothing" isn't true. :p Had to cancel the transaction mid-way.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Walmart had 24 PS4's, none of which were actually on shelves. You needed to ask for one. Target had zero left, not sure how many they had.

Both had Xbox One in stock. Didn't get an exact count.

I work at a Walmart in Canada and although we didn't get any PS4s today (no Canadian Wal-Mart did) we have 12 coming later this week. Keep your eyes open, Canadians!

Wow, so at BestBuy yesterday some employee told me they'll have some to sell today, and a guy waiting by me also told me an employee also told him the same thing. (His was male while my employee was female).

Turns out today they had nothing to sell. We all walked in and this asked "Are you here for the Xbox?" we said "Playstation" and they told us "We don't have any."

Awful. Not sure what happened to their supposed stock. I actually grabbed a Wii U, and almost bought one along 3D World before I realized I don't even want a Wii U. In this case "something is better than nothing" isn't true. :p Had to cancel the transaction mid-way.
Maybe the employees bought them just to scalp them on eBay.

Thrakier

In germany, there are plenty of XB1s everywhere. Like...dozens of them in stock. Regarding PS4, you won't even find a controller, let alone order it online at amazon. Or you can but for 20€ more than normal...

My Walmart had a sign up at the entrance on Friday saying PS4 is in stock, ask associate for details, so I did just that. At first the guy claimed to be sold out, I asked about the sign, he went into the back and got one for me. It sounded like they had some to sell then and more they were holding until today. Best of luck to everyone.

NeoRausch

In germany, where are plenty of XB1s everywhere. Like...dozens of them in stock. Regarding PS4, you won't even find a controller, let alone order it online at amazon. Or you can but for 20€ more than normal...

my PS4 amazon.de IS ON THE WAY! seems like they finally got a new batch.

but I also ordered early November. I guess there will be no chance getting one three now.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
brb GAF, gonna hit up Best Buy nearby for random buys. Will report for xbox one and ps4 in store stock.

neither

A couple of gamestops in my area (San Jose) said they would have ps4s to sell today.
They haven't opened yet, so if you're looking I would get in line now.
The ones who said they would have some are the one on blossom hill by golfland, the one on stevens creek, and the one by hamilton.
Good luck!

quetz67

Banned
In germany, there are plenty of XB1s everywhere. Like...dozens of them in stock. Regarding PS4, you won't even find a controller, let alone order it online at amazon. Or you can but for 20€ more than normal...

PS4s preorders after November will not be fulfilled before February (amazon.de).

SeanR1221

Best Buy Plymouth Meeting, PA

Plenty of Xbox ones, no PS4s left.

Woman said a lot of frustrated people at the lack of PS4s (and no they're not turning and buying the Xbox instead before that line of thinking gets thrown in again)

Beatrix

Is the demand for the PS4 really that high? Or is a production problem on Sony's side? Or a combination? Makes me really appreciate that my girlfriend was able to mail me a PS4 even when she's abroad for school.

macewank

Is the demand for the PS4 really that high? Or is a production problem on Sony's side? Or a combination? Makes me really appreciate that my girlfriend was able to mail me a PS4 even when she's abroad for school.

Both, to a point anyway. It's selling fast, but they've gotta ship consoles all over the place now. They're quite obviously having issues keeping up with demand, but I wouldn't go so far as to call that a full blown production problem.

Best Buy Plymouth Meeting, PA

Plenty of Xbox ones, no PS4s left.

Woman said a lot of frustrated people at the lack of PS4s (and no they're not turning and buying the Xbox instead before that line of thinking gets thrown in again)
I saw 5 people do that at my BestBuy before I left (my train of thinking was "Fuck it, I'll get a fucking Wii U!".)

Its working for Microsoft it seems. :p

I finally found a PS4. My local Gamestop hooked me up. Finally my house hold has a second PS4.

Now to buy a second and third Xbox One, which shouldn't be so hard it seems. :p

Steroyd

High demand + global saturation.

Sony is tracking more console's shipped than Microsoft because they launched earlier but they're spread out more even though they're prioritizing MS's previous strongholds.

Darksol

Any info on Canadian shipments?
I'm trying to get one for my BF for christmas.

London, ON, White Oaks mall, as of 11:30(ish) EST:

PS4s now gone (clerk told me they had 16 when they opened)

9 Xbox Ones still available (from 12, according to same clerk)

High demand and a ton of countries to produce for all while prepping for further releases in January and February. Production problem? In a way, yes. They just don't have the consoles to meet demand.

Zachi

Banned
Anecdotal evidence seems like stores are moving PS4 much much quicker, whatever they get whatever they sell out within hour. Meanwhile Xbones can sit on the shelves for up to days, and that's because of slowing demand rather than oversupply

Sources: EBGames (4 stores), Best Buy, Future Shop at downtown Toronto

I saw 5 people do that at my BestBuy before I left (my train of thinking was "Fuck it, I'll get a fucking Wii U!".)

Its working for Microsoft it seems. :p

I finally found a PS4. My local Gamestop hooked me up. Finally my house hold has a second PS4.

Now to buy a second and third Xbox One, which shouldn't be so hard it seems. :p

People should just be patient, too bad they're settling for an X1. It'll definitely help MS this month, but I wonder what it'll be like when Sony has plenty of stock.

Seems like demand is generally exceeding supply for both consoles, since neither remains in stock anywhere for long. Appears Xbox is shipping many more units in the US, however.

We'll know for sure when NPD December rolls around, but it could go either way. Maybe MS is supplying the same amount but there's less demand, or Sony is shipping incredibly small amounts (unlikely given anecdotal evidence).

Anecdotal evidence seems like stores are moving PS4 much much quicker, whatever they get whatever they sell out within hour. Meanwhile Xbones can sit on the shelves for up to days, and that's because of slowing demand rather than oversupply

Sources: EBGames (4 stores), Best Buy, Future Shop at downtown Toronto

Quite clear for anybody to see that the demand for PS4 is far bigger than for Xbox One. It would be great if Sony could meet demand with supply right now, but at the same time they are actually growing an international market for the PS4, and not just an American one.

People should just be patient, too bad they're settling for an X1. It'll definitely help MS this month, but I wonder what it'll be like when Sony has plenty of stock.

We'll know for sure when NPD December rolls around, but it could go either way. Maybe MS is supplying the same amount but there's less demand, or Sony is shipping incredibly small amounts (unlikely given anecdotal evidence).

Hmm. Pay $600+ for a used/new PS4 on ebay or $500 for a new X1. It's really a no brainer.

ps3ud0

High demand and a ton of countries to produce for all while prepping for further releases in January and February. Production problem? In a way, yes. They just don't have the consoles to meet demand.
You have to wonder how the decision to launch in countries inbetween EU and Japan came about, as I think those countries (mostly new markets or ones with less disposable income potentially) could have waited until after Japan or even with it...

Would have helped tremendously with regards to stock availability in US/EU...

ps3ud0 8)

Racer1977

In the UK, Argos has had consistent PS4 stock for the last 36hrs, and not just silly bundles costing £500 plus. Tesco and Asda have also been getting stock available for home delivery, but as soon as they are in stock, they quickly sell-out.

Xbox One's have been in stock for the past week at most major retailers, PS4 demand seems unreal, I know some parents who travelled across half the country to pick one up for their son!

It's not so much a choice on the supply side as it is on the demand side. They don't need to send units to Spain. Kind of a harsh reality. The UK and the US need units and most of the EU I would venture to guess does not.

Obviously they do not have the option to send 500k to Asia.

Demand is part of it, for sure, as most of the world doesn't care about the "extra" stuff the Xbox offers in terms of TV/Sports stuff as it won't work there. But that's also why they care about the US. You can sell the NFL service in the US. You can't in Spain.

MS doesn't seem to even be interested in winning WW numbers. They are more interested in providing services. I'm not saying this is a bad thing... because if you want those services it's obviously a very good thing. But it's very different than what Sony is doing.

The one negative that this will mean for the XB1 in future years is that buying exclusives gets a hell of alot more expensive when you are trailing worldwide.

You have to wonder how the decision to launch in countries inbetween EU and Japan came about, as I think those countries (mostly new markets or ones with less disposable income potentially) could have waited until after Japan or even with it...

Would have helped tremendously with regards to stock availability in US/EU...

ps3ud0 8)

My guess is that they are trying to build and maintain a global audience. IMO, Microsoft really needs to push the X1 in the US to stay competitive WW. I think Sony knows it will be close in/they could lose the US, so their focus is a little broader. Get a foothold in new territories and some mind share in smaller places, then grow slowly.

I honestly think this gen will be neck and neck. I feel for those who feel they have a stake in who wins from month to month. This gen will be an emotional roller-coaster for them. Lol.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
All this tells me is that Microsoft's retail strategy is a lot smarter than Sony's. As a result of smart planning and concentrating on tier one countries like North America, they actually have the supply to meet the demand and are therefore in a very enviable position. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sweep December's NPDs. Sony is learning a tough lesson about what good is having a more powerful, cheaper system if you don't have enough of them to sell and they're really starting off this generation on a bad foot.

PS4 is selling out faster than the Xbone. This is basically a fact at this point. Both MS and Sony are likely making systems at the same rate with the APU being the throughput bottleneck. Even if MS is delivering a higher percentage to the US, it will certainly be shipping more than are demanded sooner than Sony unless they magically get a runaway hit exclusive that people are willing to pay 560 + Live + tax for.

The question that matters most here is are a significant amount of people buying Xbones instead of PS4s due to the shortage or are they willing to wait until the PS4 is avalaible? Depending on the answer to that, it may not matter at all if MS brings a few extra 10k or 100k lots of systems to the US because after a few months those numbers will be completely recovered if PS4 demand can sustain it.

I want both to be successful because I am stupid enough to own both so I want exclusives to come that make my purchases worthwhile. And as of right now, both systems appear to be quite successful in the US so that is good, but MS is going to need to do something to create greater demand moving forward. Free games with Live is something they are working on and that needs to happen relatively soon as that is a clear gap. Price is obviously another knob but I expect something like including a 1 year XBL subscription to happen before dropping it.

turtle553

Just saw nine XB1s at Target in Harrisonburg, VA. They may have more, but the case was totally full. Didn't see any PS4s, but I didn't bother asking.

I'm holding out, but it was tempting. Probably would have grabbed one if there was only a few left.

All this tells me is that Microsoft's retail strategy is a lot smarter than Sony's. As a result of smart planning and concentrating on tier one countries like North America, they actually have the supply to meet the demand and are therefore in a very enviable position. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sweep December's NPDs. Sony is learning a tough lesson about what good is having a more powerful, cheaper system if you don't have enough of them to sell and they're really starting off this generation on a bad foot.

They're both selling out, so don't see how Sony's retail strategy is a problem. Microsoft is focusing on retaining their only decent markets, while Sony is trying to lock down the rest of the world while Microsoft is preoccupied. It sounds like you only have a problem with Sony's strategy because you are putting undue weight on winning the USA at all costs.

I'm also from Germany, XBoxes are eas. to find here but PS4s are basically impossible. I pre-ordered on August 20 and they told me I wouldn't be getting one untill January.
I talked to my local Gamestore and the owner said he had 60 PS4 preorders, he ordered 200 and got only 5 while he had about 10 preorders for xbox and got about 10 after he ordered 15.

Misterhbk

If you're in the Portland or area and looking for Xbox Ones. My local store just told me most stores in our area have "copious amounts" of Xbox ones. ps4s sold out.

Pain

Banned

Maybe they sold out?

MrMephistoX

Sony must have a steady stream coming in to meet demand not seeing any more than $100 over retail on eBay just yet. I'm no scalper but I'd be tempted to sell mine at that price .

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The one negative that this will mean for the XB1 in future years is that buying exclusives gets a hell of alot more expensive when you are trailing worldwide.

I don't know if I can bear to live in a world where MS has to create value on their platform rather than buy it away from other platforms. *single tear*

Pain

Banned
They can't ship out enough to meet demand. Sony also has Europe to worry about which we know, based on UK sales, has higher demand for PS4 than Xbone.

system11

Ps4 seems to be sold out everywhere in the UK. Only place I can find is a really expensive rroughly £550 bundle at GAME that comes with a few games, 2 blu-rays and 12 months of ps plus.

Xbox one seems to be in stock in quite a few stores online.

The large Tesco stores have Xbones, at least where I live they were trying to sell them over the announcement system late in the day.

Iacobellis

Sony must have a steady stream coming in to meet demand not seeing any more than $100 over retail on eBay just yet. I'm no scalper but I'd be tempted to sell mine at that price .

Online prices are near half of what they were last generation. I believe my PS3 was in the $1,200 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom