• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work at Target in Massachusetts, we only had 6 PS4s, and sold the last one at minute 15 since opening. We got 6 XB1s as well and sold 2 so far.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There should be a thread for the PDP Kinect stand. Baron Von PDP is making bank.

Amazon deleted their original offer and Best Buy's page is borked.

Hmm. Pay $600+ for a used/new PS4 on ebay or $500 for a new X1. It's really a no brainer.

Sure, if they absolutely must buy something right now, otherwise waiting a few weeks would probably be a better choice.If I didn't have a PS4 right now, I certainly wouldn't settle for an X1, but get that some people don't like waiting and/or need something for Christmas.

Saganator

I went to Costco over a week ago, they had whole pallet of Xbones on the floor, about 50 units. Went there yesterday, while the display had been reduced to just placards, the employee I asked said they still have at least 15. As the fastest selling console, I figured those units would've been sold in days.

jsip

Banned
I went to Costco over a week ago, they had whole pallet of Xbones on the floor, about 50 units. Went there yesterday, while the display had been reduced to just placards, the employee I asked said they still have at least 15. As the fastest selling console, I figured those units would've been sold in days.
I see what's going on here.

Skeff

NPD should be interesting, ms demand vs. Sony supply, I think its obvious ms are out shipping Sony to the US but they could well have unsold stock after Christmas. Depending on post Xmas demand of course.

timlot

Banned
Sure, if they absolutely must buy something right now, otherwise waiting a few weeks would probably be a better choice.If I didn't have a PS4 right now, I certainly wouldn't settle for an X1, but get that some people don't like waiting and/or need something for Christmas.

Thats funny because the debate I've had over the last 5 months was whether I was going to "settle" for a PS4. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but a new "game machine" with more gpu power just didn't add any thing nothing new to my living room at all. So again I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Racer1977

My guess is that they are trying to build and maintain a global audience. IMO, Microsoft really needs to push the X1 in the US to stay competitive WW. I think Sony knows it will be close in/they could lose the US, so their focus is a little broader. Get a foothold in new territories and some mind share in smaller places, then grow slowly.

I honestly think this gen will be neck and neck. I feel for those who feel they have a stake in who wins from month to month. This gen will be an emotional roller-coaster for them. Lol.

When people say " neck and neck", I can only think they are talking about NA. In terms of worldwide sales I honestly think it's going top be tremendously one sided in PS4's favour, I'm talking about 3-1 or more. MS has already conceded Asia, much of mainland Europe isn't being contested by MS, while the countries they are in, things don't look that great for them.

Then I look at my country, the UK, for many years it was assumed MS had this country locked up, but if you look closer, Sony has been gaining ground with PS3. Wiith the launch of next-gen, it seems whole swathes of gamers are taking the opportunity to make the switch to Sony. It was very telling Sony shipped and sold 250k PS4's at launch, MS just 150k - now XBO's are now freely available - while PS4 is beginning to look like another Wii situation in terms of mainstream demand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NPD should be interesting, ms demand vs. Sony supply, I think its obvious ms are out shipping Sony to the US but they could well have unsold stock after Christmas. Depending on post Xmas demand of course.

but sony won't want to cede December NPD to MS - you know MS will make a big deal about it if it does, and Sony will want to keep up the perception that PS4 is the one that people want - being second to MS will damage that image.

It is a difficult line to walk, but if Sony need to restrict stock in other markets to keep US and UK fed, I think they will - as far as they can.

Zachi

Banned
When people say " neck and neck", I can only think they are talking about NA. In terms of worldwide sales I honestly think it's going top be tremendously one sided in PS4's favour, I'm talking about 3-1 or more. MS has already conceded Asia, much of mainland Europe isn't being contested by MS, while the countries they are in, things don't look that great for them.

Then I look at my country, the UK, for so many years it was assumed the MS had this country locked up, but if you look closer, Sony has been gaining ground with PS3 these last couple of years. Now, with the launch of next-gen, it seems whole swathes of gamers are taking the opportunity to make the switch to Sony. I thought it was very telling Sony shipped and sold 250k PS4's at launch, MS just 150k - now XBO's are now freely available - while PS4 is beginning to look like another Wii situation in terms of mainstream demand.

The best scenario MS could hope for right now is for XBone not to get completely demolished like the original Xbox vs PS2. Winning the generation outright is out of the question by now

my best buy had 6 Xbox one boxes
But...
they were all EMPTY boxes [and I did ask about empty boxes]
they did not have any stock on hand
never assume

The real question isn't why people assume there are consoles in those boxes, but why they assume the boxes even exist in the first place. They could be an optical illusion created by heat shimmer from this ridiculous heat wave, like a mirage.

Jeff-DSA

The best scenario MS could hope for right now is for XBone not to get completely demolished like the original Xbox vs PS2. Winning the generation outright is out of the question by now

Less than a month in, nothing is even close to decided.

Jeff-DSA

You're not wrong but do you seriously think Microsoft has a good chance at outselling Sony worldwide? I'd say it's very unlikely.

Oh, I think that the PS4 will clean up worldwide, and possibly in North America as well, but there's always the chance of a weird "Wii Sports" type of thing happening. We just don't know at this point.

ps3ud0

Hard to see where MS might make in-roads into Sonyland, especially with their staggered launches which could be multiple months behind Sony in those regions. All I see is how competitive Sony appear to be in MS strongholds with console sales and not really the other way round (Brazil/Australia?) - I dont think Sony expect to out-sell MS in US (or maybe for that matter the UK) but to not be far away while delivering elsewhere in the world has to be considered impressive.

But it still early days and its hard to see the wood for the trees when it comes to actual sales numbers versus artifical supply and demand. I suspect by the time the next big exclusives hit we will have a far better idea. Also the all important attachment numbers especially with the shift in which one is favoured for multiplats will start becoming important as supply constraints reduce.

ps3ud0 8)

The real question isn't why people assume there are consoles in those boxes, but why they assume the boxes even exist in the first place. They could be an optical illusion created by heat shimmer from this ridiculous heat wave, like a mirage.

they were/are real boxes
same as GameStop
they often put boxes out front
there is nothing in them, display only
does NOT mean they have stock

Russell

I'm at Target right now in Revere, MA. There's literally a ton of Xbox Ones on display -- shelves completely full of them -- yet there's not a single PS4 in stock.

It's hard to argue with Sony's strategy from a long term perspective, whereas Microsoft is playing a defensive game.

The majority of growth in the coming decades will come from emerging market economies and not the US. They're trying to make these territories overwhelmingly in Sony's favor. Release the console early, now you have a userbase where people are playing PS4 -- their friends may not have one yet, but they want one and will get one over the years because the PS4 is what all their friends are playing. There's a viral momentum effect that they need to capitalize on.

Sure, it's having a negative impact on PS4 in NA/UK in the short term, but Sony's biggest advantage compared to either Nintendo or Microsoft has been their ability to penetrate the emerging markets to much success, and the reason why it wouldn't surprise me to see PS3 actually end up outselling the Wii.

Thats funny because the debate I've had over the last 5 months was whether I was going to "settle" for a PS4. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but a new "game machine" with more gpu power just didn't add any thing nothing new to my living room at all. So again I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Well of course. I say "settle for X1s" because I assumed these people were looking for PS4s originally. Obviously if you're looking for an X1 and end up buying a PS4 because you can't find one you'd be "settling for a PS4"

I didn't mean it in a negative way, though it does seem the former is more common than the latter.

It's hard to argue with Sony's strategy from a long term perspective, whereas Microsoft is playing a defensive game.

The majority of growth in the coming decades will come from emerging market economies and not the US. They're trying to make these territories overwhelmingly in Sony's favor. Release the console early, now you have a userbase where people are playing PS4 -- their friends may not have one yet, but they want one and will get one over the years because the PS4 is what all their friends are playing. There's a viral momentum effect that they need to capitalize on.

It has fringe benefits as well. Indie developers are becoming a bigger and bigger part of the market, and increasingly cropping up in smaller or even developing nations. Most indie developers aim fairly low, at least to start with, which means they're likely to develop only for the lead platform in their local region (and/or PC) and only port with an eye toward international sales if their game has breakout popularity.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
they were/are real boxes
same as GameStop
they often put boxes out front
there is nothing in them, display only
does NOT mean they have stock
Neither if them do as you say. They are promotional boxes. As someone else said you can tell PS4 because actual boxes have a handle on the top. You can tell either box because they have the serial number on the box. If there's a serial number there's a real system somewhere there.

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting to not believe Target.com's inventory checker when a ton of Target's showed having XBONE for a few days? Does it really bother you that there might be some units sitting around not being bought?

VanWinkle

Apparently the Walmart I work at in Parkersburg, WV got 18 PS4s in (not sure if they got any XB1's) at some point today and they still had 2 left when I got off work at 2:30pm.

Josman

It seems in Mexico you can get Xbone everywhere, PS4 is out of stock in some major retailers , Sams Club have an average of 5 pieces per store.

I second this, I've checked every major retailer and ps4's are sold out, actually I saw a person buying the last ps4 at sanborns, bugged me since I can't find it anywhere, also, there are tons of xbones out there, I figured MS supplied more consoles but to my surprise when I asked in 2 stores they told me the ps4 was just selling faster, which surprised me since Mexico was 360's land this gen.

RdN

MS is flooding the US market with consoles, while Sony spread itself too thin, and is having trouble supplying markets.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Demand is part of it, for sure, as most of the world doesn't care about the "extra" stuff the Xbox offers in terms of TV/Sports stuff as it won't work there. But that's also why they care about the US. You can sell the NFL service in the US. You can't in Spain.

MS doesn't seem to even be interested in winning WW numbers. They are more interested in providing services. I'm not saying this is a bad thing... because if you want those services it's obviously a very good thing. But it's very different than what Sony is doing.

The one negative that this will mean for the XB1 in future years is that buying exclusives gets a hell of alot more expensive when you are trailing worldwide.

They've designed a machine for the US. It isn't surprising that there is demand for that machine in the US and not in Spain. They didn't pursue Spanish services to sell.

bebop242

Demand is part of it, for sure, as most of the world doesn't care about the "extra" stuff the Xbox offers in terms of TV/Sports stuff as it won't work there. But that's also why they care about the US. You can sell the NFL service in the US. You can't in Spain.

MS doesn't seem to even be interested in winning WW numbers. They are more interested in providing services. I'm not saying this is a bad thing... because if you want those services it's obviously a very good thing. But it's very different than what Sony is doing.

The one negative that this will mean for the XB1 in future years is that buyingg exclusives gets a hell of alot more expensive when you are trailing worldwide.

Y'know, I was thinking about this the other day. What if PS3 dominates worldwide, but xbox wins or stays even in the US, whats the possibility of MS securing third party exclusives in the NA region only?

I think the fact that the xbone sitting on shelves three weeks after release and less then two from Christmas would be quite discerning to me if I wanted it to succeed.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Ok GAF..Im back from Best Buy...so far PS4's are sold out!!! Obviously. However, there are over 10 Xbox One's sitting nice and comfy in the back.
Also, Best Buy rep told me that there should be more PS4's than what they got today arriving next sunday so GAF be on the look out.

Steroyd

Y'know, I was thinking about this the other day. What if PS3 dominates worldwide, but xbox wins or stays even in the US, whats the possibility of MS securing third party exclusives in the NA region only?

I think the fact that the xbone sitting on shelves three weeks after release and less then two from Christmas would be quite discerning to me if I wanted it to succeed.

Software sales for the PS4 would have to tank spectacularly for that to happen, and they'd have to be games that are US only like how there are Japan only games... which doesn't exist.

A_Gorilla

Banned
MS is flooding the US market with consoles, while Sony spread itself too thin, and is having trouble supplying markets.

I think Sony's still remembers the horrible PS3 situation for the 06 holiday season and seriously underestimated demand for the PS4 on account of it.

Krisprolls

Banned

They didn't spread thin, there's just too much demand for PS4 everywhere and a lot less demand for Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom