• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Easiest way I see it to find a ps4 is just amazon notifications or gaf posting about amazon notifications lol

That's how I got my buddies quick and easy.

Yeah, I've now gotten 3 PS4's for friends on Amazon. They might be the slowest to restock but it's better than trying to camp out a Target or Walmart every weekend.

According to the " in store locator " on WalMart.com all my local WalMarts have PS4's in stock. Show 10+ with in stock signs, a couple out of stock.

If that is accurate, if you are in the Dallas region and want a PS4, may want to do some calling around.

jcm

The million dollar question.

And it's probably a bit of both. I think december will be close in NA. A bloodbath worldwide.

So just to clarify, are you claiming to know how many units MS or Sony are shipping to each region? Because I've seen several posters now cite you as a source on shipments. But this post makes it seem like you are just guessing like the rest of us.

I saw 3 xbox ones at target and 2 at best buy

didn't see any PS4 at target or best buy , shelf was empty.

did see lots of moms and dads ask about it to best buy employees

So just to clarify, are you claiming to know how many units MS or Sony are shipping to each region? Because I've seen several posters now cite you as a source on shipments. But this post makes it seem like you are just guessing like the rest of us.

I don't know anything about MS's shipments other than they are flooding the US with them.

As for Sony, I don't know hard numbers but I know they are stretched thin until right about... well, now. Just about everything they are making is coming to the US. But the first two weeks... low stock/high demand.

It kinda sucks for other countries as a lot of places aren't expecting their next PS4 shipment until the end of january. But demand in the US is higher than Sony projected. So that's where they are going now that they are done rolling out in other countries (mid east/asia was this week... no new regions, I believe, until japan).

Daknight

uuhhh, even if they sell the console it'll be sold to someone and will stay in circulation unless the console got broken beyond repair.

I think he might be going with example of what happen with the Wii U. People were taking the systems back to the stores since they couldn't resell them at a higher price. A return system equals a negative sale.

Doubt it'll happen with this two system. I am sure they will be some returns, but not enough to cause a bad sign come January (deadline month to return item with receipt for full refund).

As for stock, at least Walmart.com shows most stores here in Puerto Rico have them in stock, with mostly outside Metro area being out of stock. If it is true about this, then should be easy to find systems here in Puerto Rico.

Is this Sony being stretched thin or are they just building up for big shipments? Seems MS may be just shipping out whatever they produce whenever they produce it. And it seems like they do not have to worry much about restocking in other countries. So they are able to throw 5x more stock to the US then anywhere else because the US actually needs the restock.

Sony on the other hand, seems they send in a trickle just to keep things moving along and then throw out these giant shipments. This latest one this weekend feels more like launch. Maybe another 200-300K units shipped here to the US? Every local WalMart around here got stock in this morning, and a ton of them. The local one nearest me got in 60+ units, at launch they received only 48.

Seems like Sony may just be building up a large shipment then shipping out, moreso then just shipping out like 50K at a time or whatever.

Sony though does have the " problem " of having to supply 40 countries all of which have high demand for the console. So Sony can't just single out one territory. MS may " win " December in the US, but only by a very small margin ( my guess ) and lose by a wide margin everywhere else. I'm thinking a 1m+ sales differential by the end of this year.

Hmmm so let me get this straight, it takes about 5 seconds to raise your hand. So 50people x 5 seconds = 250/minute = 15,000/hr = 360,000/day!

Fastest hand raising for a console confirmed!

Just caught up in this thread. Learned nothing new really

Most interesting post was the quote of a large number of XB1's selling out within a day or two at a Best Buy's district

KoopaTheCasual

It doesnt matter how many the sell now, its how many people keep them.
PDejHAM.gif

It kinda sucks for other countries as a lot of places aren't expecting their next PS4 shipment until the end of january. But demand in the US is higher than Sony projected. So that's where they are going now that they are done rolling out in other countries (mid east/asia was this week... no new regions, I believe, until japan).

East europe/middle east was last week, countries near but not including Japan starting in 2 days time, but I guess they should have arrived by now.

jem0208

There were some Xbox Ones available at a Game near me, one of which I promptly bought. According to the manager they will have some PS4s available this upcoming week.

KoopaTheCasual

Apparently you missed the Wii U launch. Scalpers that don't get what they're asking for are going to be returning them in January. Hopefully Sony provides enough consoles are normal pricing to make this happen.

The problem with the WiiU wasn't simply a crazy influx of returns. It was also WiiU's sitting on shelves and never being picked up. Nintendo only provided shipping numbers, making their launch seem much more successful than it actually was. In no way is this case similar to the PS4 and XB1. Let it go, people.

gcubed

According to the " in store locator " on WalMart.com all my local WalMarts have PS4's in stock. Show 10+ with in stock signs, a couple out of stock.

If that is accurate, if you are in the Dallas region and want a PS4, may want to do some calling around.

Just to clarify, the stocker is only updated at midnight. I called around near me and they were gone

Bruno

My local walmart never puts it's consoles in shelves. They keep them in the back for people who ask for them.

I stopped at Gamestop to tell my buddy bye and this smug little brat rolled in grabbed a few PS4 games and said to give these and a PS4. They, of course, didn't have any and he threw the biggest fit about false advertising and came back with his grandparents and they proceeded to bribe my buddy to hold one for their grandson. It was amazing.

Oni Jazar

I notice the same thing in Fort Lauderdale area.

I stopped at Gamestop to tell my buddy bye and this smug little brat rolled in grabbed a few PS4 games and said to give these and a PS4. They, of course, didn't have any and he threw the biggest fit about false advertising and came back with his grandparents and they proceeded to bribe my buddy to hold one for their grandson. It was amazing.

I notice the word try is no where to be found...

My local Sam's Club (central FL) is pushing Xbox One hard. Almost all the launch titles were available, as well as controllers, and possibly one or more consoles. It's hard to tell exact numbers, because everything is locked in a metal mesh cage and what might have been the console was mostly concealed by a torn up old cardboard box for some reason.

Apparently you missed the Wii U launch. Scalpers that don't get what they're asking for are going to be returning them in January. Hopefully Sony provides enough consoles are normal pricing to make this happen.

Scalpers didn't get what they want because there was no demand for WiiU and you could pick one up on the store shelves if you actually did want it

i wouldn't count on that.. its showing that my local walmart has stock and it doesn't, i went to go check for my dad.

I notice the word try is no where to be found...

It obviously didn't work. I would like everyone to have their system of choice but this kid came in browsing the internet on his cellular iPad and hooked to his beats headphones at maybe 9 years old and seeing something not go his way made my day. Me and my GF do pretty decent for ourselves but our eventual kids aren't gonna get spoiled.

jester_

I find it funny how most people here want to believe the XB1 isn't selling. Since it's the holiday season, it's a simple case of putting out as much supply as possible. Microsoft's strategy so far has been on point.

I'm sure they would rather have the roles reversed and not have Xbones sitting on a shelf at all, like how PS4s are not sitting on very many shelves for long. While this isn't a crisis that will end the Xbox brand if they keep earning second place on NPD, it's also not 'right where they want to be.'

It obviously didn't work. I would like everyone to have their system of choice but this kid came in browsing the internet on his cellular iPad and hooked to his beats headphones at maybe 9 years old and seeing something not go his way made my day. Me and my GF do pretty decent for ourselves but our eventual kids aren't gonna get spoiled.

Haha wow that kid is something else. I can foresee him having problems later in life due to such early indulgence by his parents/grandparents

I was kidding about the try part of course

viveks86

Haha! Reminds me of what my dad told me - "Your grandfather bought me my first watch when I was 18 years old! Look how much we have spoilt you with luxury"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this morning the 15 local walmarts all showed both consoles as in stock. As of this minute, all of them have XBONEs still in stock and 7 have PS4s in stock with 2 limited stock. So 6 stores went out of stock today and 2 are almost sold out.

Will be interesting to check tomorrow morning and then afternoon.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm sure they would rather have the roles reversed and not have Xbones sitting on a shelf at all, like how PS4s are not sitting on very many shelves for long. While this isn't a crisis that will end the Xbox brand if they keep earning second place on NPD, it's also not 'right where they want to be.'

It's pretty likely that Sony will lose NPD in December, fyi. They're split between Asia and Middle East launch, resupplying UK, and still meeting pre-orders for the rest of EU. I would be shocked if Sony somehow managed to outsupply MS this month.

Racer1977

According to the similarity in total global sales between XBO and PS4 over the first few weeks, and Sony shipping to many more countries, including the Asia launch a few days ago. Sony is spread much more thinly than MS. To overcome this they would need to have significantly higher production overall, which does not appear to be the case.

It's likely Sony have sold a million or more PS4's than MS XBO's at this point. Sony announced 2.1m sales 48hrs after the EU launch, MS announced 2m a full two weeks later.

By all accounts, Sony started production before MS, and will (at least) now be producing as many units as MS. You also need to take into account every PS4, WW, is being sold. In the UK, Europe, and by all accounts NA, there are XBO's on shelves, how many is anyone's guess, but that's still production capacity not being sold.

It will be very telling how much demand there is after Christmas.

jester_

It's pretty likely that Sony will lose NPD in December, fyi. They're split between Asia and Middle East launch, resupplying UK, and still meeting pre-orders for the rest of EU. I would be shocked if Sony somehow managed to outsupply MS this month.

Yet posts in this thread have said Walmarts got a bigger stock of PS4s today than at LAUNCH (60 today vs 48 launch). Launch day sold 1 million+ PS4s in 24 hours, so I wouldn't underestimate Sony's ability to pump consoles into NA, regardless of them launching in other areas (most areas are now bumped to tier2 status and getting consoles after the end of Jan)

Well I did go to Target yesterday. PS4 sold out, 2 Xbox Ones, Wii U sold out, 3 Wii Minis, several 360 and PS3 units, and an assortment of 3DS/2DS systems scattered.

Racer1977

Scalpers didn't get what they want because there was no demand for WiiU and you could pick one up on the store shelves if you actually did want it

I'm looking out for another PS4 myself, up until last week, a standard console was going for £450-£480, the last few days that's dropped to £400- £420, suggesting there's more stock going into stores.

Shrewder

Neo Member
My girlfriend and I went to Best Buy to look for covers/cases for our new tablets. I looked around in the gaming section and didn't see anything but display boxes for both. Since I already own a PS4, I asked a sales associate if they had any Xbox One systems. They did and I picked up the System/12 month LIVE bundle for $539.00. I didn't ask how many they had, but he had to go into the back to get the system. I guess customers just have to ask since there were no signs announcing they had systems for sale.

I asked if they had and sold any more PS4 systems today and he said they haven't had any systems since last Sunday. He wasn't sure when they would get more in. This was at the Brookfield, WI location.

I went to Walmart to pick-up that PDP Kinect sensor TV bracket. The place was nuts and the electronic department was too busy to bother the few sales associates with questions about console stock.

Certainly will. I think it's likely MS will win simply due to their seemingly stronger US stock push but anything is possible I suppose

I don't think so. Sony has another push before Christmas coming, and I would imagine they will sell every single unit while MS will have difficulty. For that reason I think Sony will be atop the NPD in the US for December.

The demand for the PS4 is insane. I imagine anytime this week you will be able to get a Xbone, whereas next week you better be there on Sunday. This has little to do with supply and everything to do with demand. YMMV of course. December NPD thread is going to be a hoot.

GhaleonEB

It's likely Sony have sold a million or more PS4's than MS XBO's at this point. Sony announced 2.1m sales 48hrs after the EU launch, MS announced 2m a full two weeks later.

By all accounts, Sony started production before MS, and will (at least) now be producing as many units as MS. You also need to take into account every PS4, WW, is being sold. In the UK, Europe, and by all accounts NA, there are XBO's on shelves, how many is anyone's guess, but that's still production capacity not being sold.

It will be very telling how much demand there is after Christmas.

This is true, but they also just launched into a lot of new territories. They're in 40+ in December. That alone doesn't tell us anything; Sony could have been (and probably were) stockpiling units to support those launches. But given how many more territories they are in, unless they have much higher production than MS or are starving most other countries of stock, December NPD will be very close. It's not out of the bounds of of possibility that MS sells more in December in NA, given how focused they are on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom