• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
IT LOOKS just like PS3 xmb, but even more messy and primitive.

Looks fine to me, the XMB while very nice visually and design wise at the time it first appeared was pretty terrible organisation wise for content, wasted a lot of space, and was never really built for many of the features they have tried to put in or are going to be doing now.

with the debug/test consoles showing up in various places can we look forward to some UI videos in the next week or so, or are they under some sort of NDA?

Vita still syncs your trophies manually. The Xbox auto synced achievements when it launched in 2005.

What a ridiculous comparison. The Vita was designed a) to be portable, which means it can't rely on a constant internet connection and b) to conserve battery life by turning off the wifi.

AndyD

aka andydumi
with the debug/test consoles showing up in various places can we look forward to some UI videos in the next week or so, or are they under some sort of NDA?

Someone mentioned that debug/test consoles have a different UI than the final one. So it would not do much good.

satam55

Banned
WhitIn 2 weeks There Will be a video from IGN on The UI and XMB !
Ive heard its Andrew Goldfarb @garfep Who has the honor.

Andrew Goldfarb just tweeted this:
NwnCH1f.png

Saiyan-Rox

On the Xbox 360 achievements are instantly uploaded to Microsoft's servers when they're earned. Sony chose to only "sync" the trophies with their servers when you go the the trophy profile on your console and initiate the action yourself.

I would love to believe that, but this is exactly how Sony did trophies for the PS3, and Vita. Seeing that screen mention "offline mode" is right in line with the previous consoles.

Trophies auto sync now it's already been stated. Offline/online mode probably just means do you want to scroll down all your PS3/Vita trophies or just PS4 it's no big deal

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Do we actually know the NDA date on the UI?
My guess is they won't lift that till launch.

They'll probably do an internal UI walkthrough video with Eric Lempel or Sid Shuman and just post it on the PS blog later this week.

ckohler

After he opens the Web Browser, its icon then appears on the far left before Knack. This is the first confirmation I've seen that the row of icons is listed in order of most recently started.

I've always assumed that's how it worked but this is the first I've seen it for real.

ckohler

Apologies if already posted...

2942018zklsv.jpg

Even IGN is still calling it XMB? Did they not read the PS4 FAQ?

Anyway, that screenshot is just of the system icons. That's not the main menu and it's not the Cross Media Bar. It just looks a little similar. In two weeks people will finally own this and understand.

Yoday

I just want to see the game library. We haven't seen it at all, and to me that is the most important aspect of this entire UI. With how large games are we are going to be doing a whole lot of uninstalling and redownloading of games throughout this generation, and its going to be beyond fucked up if we still have to deal with that horrible download list instead of just having a Steam like library that displays all games, regardless of if they are downloaded and installed or not.

androvsky

I just want to see the game library. We haven't seen it at all, and to me that is the most important aspect of this entire UI. With how large games are we are going to be doing a whole lot of uninstalling and redownloading of games throughout this generation, and its going to be beyond fucked up if we still have to deal with that horrible download list instead of just having a Steam like library that displays all games, regardless of if they are downloaded and installed or not.

Me too. I'm wondering if the PSN backend just isn't ready for the library view, which is why they're waiting on demoing the UI until they can show it properly. Although Sony never mentioned anything about trophy rarity until Vita 3.0 firmware, so they seem to be holding off on little UI things until the absolute last minute.

Liamario

Banned
I do find it frustrating and concerning that they haven't given us a full UI video to drool over. Any notions as to why?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I do find it frustrating and concerning that they haven't given us a full UI video to drool over. Any notions as to why?
Everyone who can do it is really really busy? Also, possibly not final firmware. It's stuck in a pipeline somewhere.

Top Bottom