• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K/Neo Seemingly won't have BDXL (4k disc) support

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are early kits and documentation, once they release the June kits (or later) and there is no mention of a UHD drive, then what will be in the final console will be more clear.

I wonder how much a UHD drive costs Sony?

Saberus

I mean Sony is part of the UHD 4K alliance and the creator of Blu-ray, I can't imagine their flag ship newest machine would not support 4K BR.

E3 is not far.

spons

Gold Member
What is the point? This will kill any incentive to go to 4K or Neo. Good going, Sony.

Sony's going to focus even more on gaming, since doing the opposite has proven to be a rather costly mistake (Xbox One).

I am sure this won't happen otherwise this will be very very dumb. Where is teh 4K argument then? The final consoel will support UHD Blurays.

The game discs would stay the same and therefore the drive wouldn´t have to be changed in devkits i assume.

BUT, if the retail unit doesn´t come with a UHD blu-ray drive it´s fucking worthless to me.

Wants to support 4k, too weak for native support, upscaling, no UHD. Pathetic.

BumRush

Reading through this thread makes me feel better about the DF article. I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to leave out UHD BD support, but it's probably just not in the Dev Kits.

Disc drive speed is pretty irrelevant for these consoles since they are only used for the install and then a quicj check on boot now. Nothing devs have to worry about as much. I could see

Sony having 4K BR playback but devs not not allowing devs not use the extra speeds to keep comparability or something... or maybe they can and games just install a bit quicker.

What I am a bit worried about is they are not upgrading the HDD side. If the NEO could take advantage of SSD's that would be amazing and would push me at upgrading almost as much as any of the power improvements. Its embarrassing how on PS4 a SSD is only slightly faster then the stock drive.

Base $400 could still come with a HDD and then sell a premium model with a SSD!

EDIT: Of course it would make sense for Sony not to change the dev kit drive specs, as game discs will have to continue being compatible with older PS4s, while the retail version of PS4k / Neo could still have a BDXL drive for 4k movie discs.

Maybe bold that in the OP. It makes this whole thread completely unnecessary.

Withnail

UHD is huge for Sony in the same way BD was in 2006. They have business interests in the whole content pipeline from Sony Pictures to professional production equipment to consumer grade cameras, smart phones, TVs, to discs and the PlayStation video store. There's no way this thing doesn't support UHD playback.

vato_loco

Half expecting a jeff_rigby post.

As the OP's edit says, it's not THAT uncommon, considering that the games are all meant to be PS4 compatible. But I guess it could've worked for 4k movies and 3D 4k movies with PSVR.

Deadstar

One of the bonuses to buying this box would be to be able to play 4k movies. If it can't do that, it's not going to push 4k as hard as they want to. Kaz can't be complacent.

Wasn't it about the same price, back when the PS3 arrived? I'd assume a large part of the PS3s succes, was because of the Blu-Ray drive.

Not sure about the price back then, but yeah, it was expensive as shit and drove the price to 600$. And Sony still sold at a loss a couple years in.

Considering osiris_black talked about a 399-499 price point, I don't think this is possible. Sony won't be selling at a loss again. They've gone through major restructuring and consolidation under Hirai. Even with his gaming background he won't be offering free shit to gamers considering software releases at 60$ have gone down immensely since Gen 6 & 7. You can't make as much money through software as back in the old days, thus subsidizing hardware has become less attractive.

Actually read the thread and you'll notice there's no actual proof that support is coming, just Jeff_rigby trying to crack the Da Vinci Code.

VoJbV.gif

farisr

DerZuhälter;201348868 said:
Actually having just checked prices for stand alone BDXL / UHD players. Yeah it's too pricy. Cheapest one I found was 490 euros. And there are only two different models available.

Forget about it. It won't have BDXL support. lol

The increase in price from regular bd to bdxl players has a lot to do with better processors, memory and other components required to run/display that content. Not to mention of course, taking advantage of the enthusiast market.

Those components are already accounted for in the ps4 cost and sony's been making a profit from the getgo at $399. Prices for the existing components would have gone down as usual.We don't know what the wholesale/production cost of the actual uhd player component is. It could very well just be $50 more than a regular BD drive. In which case, a $399 PS4neo that supports bdxl with a better gpu is still very possible.

Edit: Also, just for reference. A BDXL writer, is available for $199 to consumers. That's retail price (not on sale, regular price listed on the manufacturer's website) and it's not just a regular drive either.

Just seeing that makes it very clear to me that a BDXL drive (that only needs to read) won't actually cost much to put in and is doable in this console within the 399 pricepoint.

SGRX

It seems likely that they will add UHD blu-ray support. This system is a perfect opportunity for them to do so without having to release a standalone player that would be appealing to far fewer consumers. From my own perspective, it's a make or break feature as far as making the system worth buying.

Atomski

The fact the disks have to work on og ps4 is probably why. The more I think about this the more pointless it seems. Sure you can do better res and frame rate but devs will be completely restricted on anything past that. It's gonna be a faster ps4 with a ball and chain attached to it.

Edit: Also, just for reference. A BDXL writer, is available for $199 to consumers. That's retail price (not on sale, regular price listed on the manufacturer's website) and it's not just a regular drive either.

Just seeing that makes it very clear to me that a BDXL drive (that only needs to read) won't actually cost much to put in and is doable in this console within the 399 pricepoint.

I'm completely out of my depth as I've noticed. Yeah BD-QL writers, QuadLayer which is 128GB of storage, are available for round about 50€. So the standalone discdrives seem quite cheap.

So like a poltician, I'm flipping back to: PSNeo will have it. lol

It does not say that it won't play 4k Blurays. Movies and games are different. They can't release games on larger discs because the original PS4 has to be able to play them.

These are just dev kits though are they not?
If we're basing this off a kit given to a dev, yes. The dev kits always lacked media playback. It was an afterthought and always left out of future plans listed for firmware updates.

Test kits can do more, but those are usually final devices

AmyS

It's not relevant to game developers, they don't need to know this.

I'd be legit shocked if the shipping PS4K/Neo consumer product didn't support Ultra HD / 4K Blu-ray movies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Of course it will support 4K Blu Ray movies, what would be the purpose of the device without support of Sony's new format?

Seriously. It would make zero sense otherwise.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Its going to support 4k UHD Bluray's, there should be no doubt about that. Sony wont however, allow developers to use the exapnded disk sizes for games as ALL game disc have to be compatable with Baseline PS4's.

Sony is not stupid, they know a game system is the perfect way to spur format adoption of a new format. UHD Video disk will be supported.

coughlanio

Would it be possible for a dual layer drive to read the first two layers of a quad layer disc? I'm not an optical media expert unfortunately.

EDIT: Of course it would make sense for Sony not to change the dev kit drive specs, as game discs will have to continue being compatible with older PS4s, while the retail version of PS4k / Neo could still have a BDXL drive for 4k movie discs.
I mean Sony is part of the UHD 4K alliance and the creator of Blu-ray, I can't imagine their flag ship newest machine would not support 4K BR.

E3 is not far.
Nah, 4K BD support was not mentioned in the gaming SDK. Nothing strange.

That's what I expect. Game devs don't need it, but the final product will.
No 4k/Dolbyvision/HDMI2.0a, no sale.

Of course it will support 4K Blu Ray movies, what would be the purpose of the device without support of Sony's new format?

It's not relevant to game developers, I'd be legit shocked if the shipping PS4K/Neo consumer product didn't support Ultra HD / 4K Blu-ray movies.

Agreed, 4K blu-ray was probably not mentioned as game developers will have no way of supporting it due to PS4 legacy support. Sony need to get 4K blu-ray to the market, not including it would be such a missed opportunity.

Its going to support 4k UHD Bluray's, there should be no doubt about that. Sony wont however, allow developers to use the exapnded disk sizes for games as ALL game disc have to be compatable with Baseline PS4's.

Sony is not stupid, they know a game system is the perfect way to spur format adoption of a new format. UHD Video disk will be supported.

This right here.

jett

D-Member
This article was already posted, and you highlighting a sentence from it doesn't make it new.

Anyway, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Nowhere does it say, in the article or the documentation, that the Neo won't definitely have 4K Blu-ray support. You're making serious leaps.

It will absolutely support that though, which I imagine is by and large the main reason this thing exists in the first place

Drifters

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm just gonna assume the dev kits don't need them and Neo will play UHD's... because if it doesn't that would astronomically stupid.

I would be totally shocked if it didn't have 4k Drive - this is a 'premium product'

There is no need to even mention it though to game devs as they will be restricted to by OG PS4.

4K drive will be for UHD Blu Ray Media only as many people have said already.

KORNdoggy

i think it'll have it. the leaked info pertains to developers though, and developers need to use standard blu-rays so they work on both systems. i think retail will definitely have it. it's sony. they like to push new media with their consoles. plus they can say...why buy a $400 blu-ray player when you can just buy a PS4K

BumRush

Without it, what is the reason to replace the #1 selling console on the market right now with more expensive parts?

benjammin

It HAS to have the ability to play 4k discs. You're telling me that they would release a "new" console 3 years later that can't play 4k discs, can't play games in 4k, and makes things more inconvenient for developers, just to slightly bump up the graphics on new games? That would be a massive waste if true.

Mit-

It HAS to have the ability to play 4k discs. You're telling me that they would release a "new" console 3 years later that can't play 4k discs, can't play games in 4k, and makes things more inconvenient for developers, just to slightly bump up the graphics on new games? That would be a massive waste if true.
Technically, the updated HDMI port will allow it to output 4K resolution, and apps like Netflix and other streaming services could take advantage of it. Games may also be able to be upscaled to 4K from 1080p by the console itself (if it has the power) so your laggy TV doesn't have to do it.

And really, that's the "4K" 95% of users are going to take advantage of, not 4K Blu-ray home video, so the lack of support shouldn't be THAT surprising, although there's still a good chance the final consumer model will include the drive.

Oh and if you think we live in a present of consumer affordable 4K gaming you're very wrong. It's going to be a long while until we get there.

Also the main reason for its existence is because the PS4 is underpowered for VR and they don't want their VR experience to be dog shit in comparison to Rift/Vive on capable PC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom