• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K/Neo Seemingly won't have BDXL (4k disc) support

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
DF seems to have a tendency to jump to conclusions when it comes to PS4k

"Dev kit documentation doesn't mention BDXL? It must not be in the retail model!"

"We didn't think that Polaris would work for full compatibility, but we were wrong! it has the same number of cores as a rumored Polaris 10 SKU so Polaris is confirmed!"

Seriously... Chill guys. This thing needs an official announcement.

thelastword

Banned
DF seems to have a tendency to jump to conclusions when it comes to PS4k

"Dev kit documentation doesn't mention BDXL? It must not be in the retail model!"

"We didn't think that Polaris would work for full compatibility, but we were wrong! it has the same number of cores as a rumored Polaris 10 SKU so Polaris is confirmed!"

Seriously... Chill guys. This thing needs an official announcement.
Money post.

I doubt Sony would miss out on the opportunity to include a UHD Blu-ray drive. Many people bought the PS3 at launch because it was the cheapest and one of the best Blu-ray players at the time.

The first UHD Blu-ray to be sold in the UK has just come out and it costs a whopping £429 (which was the launch price of the PS3 in the UK). If Sony can sell the PS4K for £399 I'm sure it would be an attractive price for people looking for a decent UHD BD player.

Seems like Sony doesn't care about 4K BluRay. They don't even have a 4K player, just an upscaler for normal BluRays. The current hotness is a Samsung. I'm willing to bet their money is on streaming. Then again, that's all the mainstream cares about. It makes me cry a little.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I doubt Sony would miss out on the opportunity to include a UHD Blu-ray drive. Many people bought the PS3 at launch because it was the cheapest and one of the best Blu-ray players at the time.

The first UHD Blu-ray to be sold in the UK has just come out and it costs a whopping £429 (which was the launch price of the PS3 in the UK). If Sony can sell the PS4K for £399 I'm sure it would be an attractive price for people looking for a decent UHD BD player.

It would be incredibly stupid for Sony to create a 4K PS4 that can't play the new 4K movie format. It's in Sony best interest to make this new disc based format a success and the way to do it is with an upgraded PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom