• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

c0de

I can see an artist spending hours and hours of their life making sure that a model looks a certain way in 3D. I don't think said artist would be intimately involved with textures on how cobblestone road looks, because that is usually a small texture map that is then repeated across a surface and squashed or stretched depending on the variables involved with the point of view.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

But what about QA?

KKRT00

So they bumped AF to 4x at least. Good for Techland.

Although it is funny that people think this means that consoles do not have problems with AF.

geordiemp

How one can not notice or ignore AF is quite baffling TBH ^^

The games that don't have it are not exactly polished good developers on Ps4 are they....!

When I see basic stuff missing in games, I know the dev does not care about the Ps4 version...

I expect there to be other issues whether in AI, balancing, play...or whatever....I just don't buy it.

I have not bought any games with missing AF....Its there loss, I buy 2 copies of most Ps4 games for 2 x Ps4....

dr_rus

No, the SDK would impact all third party the same, and it's not the case.

It looks like either an engine (UE3 seem particularly touched) based problem, or a Dx-> OpenGl conversion tool problem... Or both.

Not necessarily dev "based", but not taking the time to manually activate AF if missing after port -is- on the devs, if it's that.
No, an SDK bug would not affect all 3rd parties. Not all titles use everything from the SDK. It looks like the issue present in titles which were developed in Win/Xbox environment and then ported to PS4. So the bug is likely to be in that porting toolchain.

Manually activating AF for selected textures on PS4 only again is a lot of work which may be impossible to do in the time/budget or even tools devs have. So we have this situation with AF as a result.

So they bumped AF to 4x at least. Good for Techland.

Although it is funny that people think this means that consoles do not have problems with AF.

Really? This is just 4x ??

77mrtf.jpg
I'm not seeing a smudge on the ground texture at all

Theonik

Even within an SDK, why would you have two separate libraries that do the exact same thing? That is just asking for trouble especially if they use the same namespaces.

Secondly, how would fixing the tool suddenly fix the issue via a patch to the consumer? This is logically incomprehensible. The fact that the games with the AF issue got patched to fix it means that there was something with how the developers were calling the function from within the game.

Thirdly, if the game's AF issue could be resolved with a patch from the developer and there was no firmware update on the consumer's end, then this is entirely an issue from the developer's side and that there was a problem with how the developers chose to call the AF function.

EDIT:
I guess the better question is how large were the patches that were deployed to resolve the AF issue?
I'm not necessarily talking about libraries, it could be a fault from a conversion tool a developer might have used, but there is no real reason why every developer needs to use the OGL libraries that are in the SDK.

If it's a conversion tool, then subsequent games will stop suffering from this altogether. Developers would still be able to attempt to fix the issue manually with a patch. If it's a library, the game can be recompiled against these updated libraries and the issue can be corrected though QA is the hard bit there.

These libraries would usually be included on the game disk not on the system software so it would be an issue of patching the game rather than the system. If the issue is with the system then Sony needs to introduce an update.

For developer responsibility it is a question of whether you consider a developer not using a potentially expensive work-around over hoping the issue will be resolved is their fault or not. Business realities often dictate that unless the fix is free developers might simply ignore them.

BONKERS

It is funny you still think there is a problem.

It's funny to me because AF has been essentially an afterthought on PC for nearly a decade. The PS4 hardware should be more than capable for it to simply be a toggle switch for AFx16
It also doesn't excuse when PS3 games have better texture filtering lol.

geordiemp

No, an SDK bug would not affect all 3rd parties. Not all titles use everything from the SDK. It looks like the issue present in titles which were developed in Win/Xbox environment and then ported to PS4. So the bug is likely to be in that porting toolchain.

Manually activating AF for selected textures on PS4 only again is a lot of work which may be impossible to do in the time/budget or even tools devs have. So we have this situation with AF as a result.

What you just described is a dev asking me to buy a game they developed on another system, spent all the dev time on another system, ported and could not be bothered or had money left to polish.

That's fine, I note them clearly, and I just make sure I don't have time to give them my money. Consumers can only vote with their wallets.

Buying Dying light today now its fixed, I can wait for improvements...for years....

I'm not necessarily talking about libraries, it could be a fault from a conversion tool a developer might have used, but there is no real reason why every developer needs to use the OGL libraries that are in the SDK.

If it's a conversion tool, then subsequent games will stop suffering from this. If it's a library, the game can be recompiled against these update libraries and the issue can be corrected though QA is the hard bit there.

These libraries would usually be included on the game disk not on the system software so it would be an issue of patching the game rather than the system. If the issue is with the system then Sony needs to introduce an update.

For developer responsibility it is a question of whether you consider a developer not using a potentially expensive work-around over hoping the issue will be resolved is their fault or not. Business realities often dictate that unless the fix is free developers might simply ignore them.

Considering how soon these games with the AF issues are getting patched, this seems to be a trivial enough problem for the developers to fix.

BONKERS

Dark10x says its 16x in the DMC AF thread.

Looks like 8x to me in the other pictures. But what with the ultra compressed JPGs and CA smothering everything, it makes it harder to tell definitively. Because some surfaces in other shots posted prior still looked like they weren't getting filtered properly. These were of course at more oblique angles.

And again, dat compression.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Considering how soon these games with the AF issues are getting patched, this seems to be a trivial enough problem for the developers to fix.

just out of curiosity what other games got patched besides Dying Light? don't think these threads would keep going on if devs were on top of things :\

Theonik

Sure but we still have no idea how long they actually worked on those fixes or even whether they were waiting for QA to patch them into the game. We don't really have enough information to exclude any possibility as of now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
isn't AF one of the things people tend to force using the global graphics drivers on PC? So does that mean that it isn't properly supported internally within many games?

onanie

It's funny to me because AF has been essentially an afterthought on PC for nearly a decade. The PS4 hardware should be more than capable for it to simply be a toggle switch for AFx16
It also doesn't excuse when PS3 games have better texture filtering lol.

Not surprising. This is a phenomenon known as confirmation bias.

KKRT00

It is funny you still think there is a problem.

Sure, there is no problem with AF on consoles, not all. Except in The Order, Infamous, KZ:SF, Uncharted, DriveClub and almost any multiplatform game.
Same goes for Xbone one games.

2x-4x AF with some few textures having 8x is not really something You would expect in 2015 or even 2010 to be honest.

---
Really? This is just 4x ??

http://i.cubeupload.com/77mrtf.jpg I'm not seeing a smudge on the ground texture at all
It breaks in about 70% of distance. With 8x AF You would not notice that, i know, because i was doing 8x to 16x AF comparison in past in few games and there was no visible difference in 99% cases.
Its not as good as 8x, its as bad as 2x, so the only logical one is 4x.

---
Your being a bit too transparent there
What?

Sure, there is no problem with AF on consoles, not all. Except in The Order, Infamous, KZ:SF Uncharted, DriveClub and almost any multiplatform game.
Same goes for Xbone one games

---

It breaks in about 70% of distance. With 8x AF You would not notice that, i know, because i was doing 8x to 16x AF comparison in past in few games and there was no visible difference in 99% cases.

---

What?

Those two definitely have some form of AF.

The pavement detail remains crisp 1m before the fence.
He may be mistaking the occlusion / shadow mapping beneath and before the fence (maybe from tree) as loss of detail, though if you zoom in there is no real detail loss before the transition to pavement.

KKRT00

He may be mistaking the occlusion / shadow mapping beneath and before the fence (maybe from tree) as loss of detail, though if you zoom in there is no real detail loss before the transition to pavement.

No, cant edit it now, i'm at work. The detail definitely breaks there.
On the same pavement line as white stripe for example.

KKRT00

It breaks here

77mrtfj7ph9.jpg

---
4x AF
0,1425,sz=1&i=161083,00.jpg

16x AF
0,1425,sz=1&i=161085,00.jpg

You really need to play more on PC with different settings. 4x is not terrible and doesnt break totally, but its nowhere near 8x or 16x.
Ps. that 4x and 16x comparison is not completely correct, because newer cards handle it better, via enhanced AF algorithms.

Slaythe

It breaks here

You really need to play more on PC with different settings. 4x is not terrible and doesnt break totally, but its nowhere near 8x or 16x.
Ps. that 4x and 16x comparison is not completely correct, because newer cards handle it better, via enhanced AF algorithms.

That's x8 at the least. Blame on the ps4 GPu if you consider the quality to be sub par, but this ain't x4.

PopFisto

Banned
It just makes the PS4 look like it is using a depth of field, focus type graphcis mechanism, like GTA5 next gen.

It makes it look better actually. I always just assumed thats what it is.

That looks closer to 16x to me. Definitely not 4x.

I would go out on a limb and say no, that's not 16x; the shadows in the distance are apparently hiding most of the blurring difference you would see between 4x and 8x.

It just makes the PS4 look like it is using a depth of field, focus type graphcis mechanism, like GTA5 next gen.

It makes it look better actually. I always just assumed thats what it is.

Wat..

DOWN

Banned
Since this can be patched, how do we get Capcom's attention to patch it? Like how did Ubi hear all the pressure to fix Unity?

KKRT00

looking at that example it just makes me think it's 8x tbh.

it's not as bad as the 4x example, but not as good as the 16x example.

Its on older architecture on that comparison. On newer cards 8x is like 16x, it is almost indistinguishable. What a pity i dont have my Skyrim comparison shots here ;\

Since this can be patched, how do we get Capcom's attention to patch it? Like how did Ubi hear all the pressure to fix Unity?

Expecting CAPCPOM to service you for something you already paid for? What crazy world are you living in? The AF patch would probably end up being DLC, if ever.

Top Bottom