• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 3D Audio

jorgejjvr

I don't get it.

I have the pulse 3d headset even, but it all always sounds so muffle with 3d audio on. I have tried different audio profiles too, and nada.

Like in cod and apex, I feel like I hear things better with 3d audio off, with it on things sound muddier. But when I turn it off, the game sounds normal, I can hear fotosteps better etc. But then I thought, those arent first party.

Sure, I try Horizon forbidden west....I cant say its better with it on either...what am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

edit: the TV 3D audio also does nothing for me

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Adjust the 3D audio profile setting, I had mine on default since launch, then changed it to plus 1 and makes a massive difference.

Also you should know that games like APEX and COD: WZ don't use the tempest 3D audio engine and enabling it for those games will almost double process the sound, those games have their own simulated surround via stereo in -game.

jorgejjvr

Adjust the 3D audio profile setting, I had mine on default since launch, then changed it to plus 1 and makes a massive difference.

Also you should know that games like APEX and COD: WZ don't use the tempest 3D audio engine and enabling it for those games will almost double process the sound, those games have their own simulated surround via stereo in -game.
so I have to turn it on and off, back and forth based on the game? Annoying. Its not like games tell you: this game supports tempest 3d audio, am I supposed to guess?

but like I said, ive messed with the audio profiles, and also tried it with horizon as well

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I don't get it.

I have the pulse 3d headset even, but it all always sounds so muffle with 3d audio on. I have tried different audio profiles too, and nada.

Like in cod and apex, I feel like I hear things better with 3d audio off, with it on things sound muddier. But when I turn it off, the game sounds normal, I can hear fotosteps better etc. But then I thought, those arent first party.

Sure, I try Horizon forbidden west....I cant say its better with it on either...what am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried Dolby Atmos for heaphones? Just for comparison.
To say - those '3D' headsets doing nothing compared to normal headphones. For binaural (3D) audio you only need 2 speakers and no crosstalk between them. (when sound from left speaker are heard only by left ear)
Then there are models which is captured by putting microphones in head of the model. That's because each ear is different. If you choose a model that is closest to your ears then you will be getting 'complete' immersion. And it works!
Try normal pair of good headphones and try different models. Probably one of those make you forget that you wear headphones.

jorgejjvr

Have you tried Dolby Atmos for heaphones? Just for comparison.
To say - those '3D' headsets doing nothing compared to normal headphones. For binaural (3D) audio you only need 2 speakers and no crosstalk between them. (when sound from left speaker are heard only by left ear)
Then there are models which is captured by putting microphones in head of the model. That's because each ear is different. If you choose a model that is closest to your ears then you will be getting 'complete' immersion. And it works!
Try normal pair of good headphones and try different models. Probably one of those make you forget that you wear headphones.
Dolby atmos for headphone is miles better on Xbox, is this available on playstation?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't get it.

I feel like you might be expecting a bit too much from it.
If you are used to a higher end sound (from a headset) thats already was being processed to a VSS format, Its not going to be a night and day difference.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The best audio I've experienced this gen was in Demon's Souls and Returnal. I must admit, I'm still waiting for Halo co-op to drop before I fully dive in though.
Keep on meaning to get returnal, i cant really afford it, but I can if I sell it 2nd hand for a similar price I paid for it.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Dolby atmos for headphone is miles better on Xbox, is this available on playstation?
I don't know - I was using it for PC and it's overall very simple and good solution (except loss of high frequencies)
I'm talking in general - Binaural audio was here since forever and even in early 2000s we had 'soundwave-tracing'. I was here and have used it with pleasure.
Another amazing (sound-wise) solution is Razer Surround. But yeah - it's all on PC.

Also try this for example. Only for headphones of course.

MikeM

I have Dolby for Headphones (Series X) and 3D audio from PS5. Without question, much prefer the spatial accuracy of the 3D audio.

Run on a Arctis 7X.

TrebleShot

Sonys solution is really underwelming in UC4 Among thieves and Spiderman MM.
The best sound on headphones so far this gen has been Halo infinite using dolby atmos for headphones.
Spider Man MM supports it but UC4 does not, its simply their 7.1 mix expanded to "3D" essentially virtual surround sound, its not object based like Returnal, GT7, Demons Souls.

jorgejjvr

So should I just stick with PS exclusives for it? my first exclusive for it is horizon, and doenst seem anything special, its all muddy and muffle

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I also have pulse 3d. I know its not needed but it's very good.
I find 3d audio (I use setting middle 3) to sound fine. Especially in games like Demons or Returnal.
In other games, it is sometimes confusing (like in resident evil), if you should enable ingame headphones or virtualization... or not.

But games that use it properly 100% sound good. I've not heard any muffled game yet but I am not playing cod etc

jorgejjvr

sounds like demos souls, returnal, and gran turismo is where its at

I got none of those, so no surprise my impressions is not as good. Having to guess which game is good for it or not, turn it on and off per game, is no bueno.

Hopefully it gets more wildly implemented soon

GymWolf

I must have broken ears because i swear this 3d audio thing is the same fake simulated 5.1 shit that we had since forever, tried any major sony exclusive and my opinion didn't changed a bit, even when using sony platinum, so even better quality than the cheap 3d stuff they sell now.

I guess returnal was the most "impressive" of the bunch.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I must have broken ears because i swear this 3d audio thing is the same fake simulated 5.1 shit that we had since forever, tried any major sony exclusive and my opinion didn't changed a bit, even when using sony platinum, so even better quality than the cheap 3d stuff they sell now.

I guess returnal was the most "impressive" of the bunch.
I don't think your opinion is that far off from most people. 3D audio will likely sound the same too many people who have used VSS on a decent headset for awhile.

GymWolf

I don't think your opinion is that far off from most people. 3D audio will likely sound the same too many people who have used VSS on a decent headset for awhile.
I was expecting something more i guess.

Tbh, i still take 2.1 with stronger volume than lower volume 5.1, i don't give many fucks about pin pointing 10 enemies around me just from the audio, i was never able to do that anyway, at least with headphones.

Having actual speakers around you is still 100x better than any fake surround sony can put on their headphones.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve had the 3D pulse headphones since day one and no game has stood out to me while using them. However, Dolby atmos on Xbox sounds amazing. Especially for games like Halo infinite and battlefield 2042.

Using Dolby Atmos made me realize how weak the 3D audio was
Even returnal and demons souls ?!
These really shine.
But to be honest, 3d audio or not, the directions sound the same. Stereo was always enough for me :p
I do keep the 3d enabled though in system settings

What a dumb thing to say, this thread directly relates to headphones and 3d audio, thier post was right on topic. Sorry you can't handle someone saying something good about another game and 3d audio?
I dont have issue with someone praising another system or game. That the very reason i singled out this post vs others that mentioned MS or Halo. This provided not content comparison or value to the topic. Its literally a person just saying they like MS implementation and Halo in a thread about PS5 and Tempest.... how much farther off topic can you get?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was expecting something more i guess.

Tbh, i still take 2.1 with stronger volume than lower volume 5.1, i don't give many fucks about pin pointing 10 enemies around me just from the audio, i was never able to do that anyway, at least with headphones.

Having actual speakers around you is still 100x better than any fake surround sony can put on their headphones.
A true 3d audio setup will be a major difference. However, that takes precise placement, time, money etc.

I have tried Sony's implementation via "real" headphones that were driven by more than just the controller and its good. But its not better than anything else on the market imo. As always, it comes down to the developer putting out good sound to begin with.

Last edited:
Overall i haven't been that impressed with the 3d Audio of the PS5. I have tried to monkey with the settings to get the right set up for my ears but thus far its been just ok. I think the capability is there it just hasn't been a focus for devs yet IMO.

Topher

Gold Member
A true 3d audio setup will be a major difference. However, that takes precise placement, time, money etc.

I have tried Sony's implementation via "real" headphones that were driven by more than just the controller and its good. But its not better than anything else on the market imo. As always, it comes down to the developer putting out good sound to begin with.

I agree. I used to have Audeze Penrose X headphone's which work with both PS5 and XSX. Frankly, I'd say Tempest and Dolby Audio are about on par with each other when using the same set of headphones. I ended up returning the Penrose X because they were never comfortable enough and bought highly rated gaming headsets for both systems. Both sound really good, but what headset you use really makes a difference.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I agree. I used to have Audeze Penrose X headphone's which work with both PS5 and XSX. Frankly, I'd say Tempest and Dolby Audio are about on par with each other when using the same set of headphones. I ended up returning the Penrose X because they were never comfortable enough and bought highly rated gaming headsets for both systems. Both sound really good, but what headset you use really makes a difference.
I tend to get a bit more volume on the Xbox for some reason but that could come down to the game. I don't have any duplicate games to do a 1:1 to comparison but thats the only difference I have found. (headsets)

The lack of Tempest for anything besides headphones and tv speakers is baffling still. Its been over a year.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't go anywhere near something like the Pulse headset, checking on amazon.co.uk it's a £90 headset so really wouldn't expect it to perform so well, you'd be far better off buying at least a mid level open back headset if you really want to take advantage of positional audio. Not suggesting you won't get anything with that headset but it's certainly not going to be the best way to experience any type of audio.
I know it's a licensed headset so the headset controls will specifically be designed to work on the PS5 but I don't go anywhere near stuff like that. I know that Xbox there are licensed B&O headsets for the Xbox and PS5/PC but I have no idea what they are like in terms of actual audio quality and Bang & Olufson has never really been my favourite in terms of the sound they produce as they tend to make everything sound a little too "nice" for my liking but that they're likely to do a much better job for you. Just noticed that the battery life is different depending on which version you buy:
Xbox version: Up to 12 hours with wireless gaming, Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling. Up to 24 hours with Bluetooth and ANC.
PS5/PC version: Up to 19 hours with wireless gaming, Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling. Up to 42 hours with Bluetooth and ANC.
Also, the B&O use lambskin which you do have to be careful with, I know the pads on a couple of the headsets would discolour quite badly after a year or so. I would hope that was fixed by now.
Realistically though, I would buy a gaming headset unless you were desperate to have controls designed for that particular console.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Get a set of decent wired headphones and a decent USB DAC J jorgejjvr .
And what would that change ?
You ever listened to pulse 3d? It uses 2,4ghz dongle. not bluetoothe. There is no hiss, no lag and audio quality is pretty fantastic.
Exchange that for wasting money on wired crap ? that you have to wire to a console?
No thanks. Even if the quality was much worse on wireless (and it is not, I guarantee), the hassle is not worth it

The 3d audio sounds completely shit in my experience. Esp. using headphones plugged in to the controller ; simply plugging in the headphones directly to the tv sounds MUCH better and without 3d audio.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And what would that change ?
You ever listened to pulse 3d? It uses 2,4ghz dongle. not bluetoothe. There is no hiss, no lag and audio quality is pretty fantastic.
Exchange that for wasting money on wired crap ? that you have to wire to a console?
No thanks. Even if the quality was much worse on wireless (and it is not, I guarantee), the hassle is not worth it
Wait What Reaction GIF by Disney+

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You too are free to go waste your own money on this audio bs.
I did a lot of comparisons. It's not worth spending more on wired. The quality upgrade is not there compared to having to be wired.
maybe just wire to the controller. It does not sound too bad either

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You too are free to go waste your own money on this audio bs.
I did a lot of comparisons. It's not worth spending more on wired. The quality upgrade is not there compared to having to be wired.
maybe just wire to the controller. It does not sound too bad either

You clearly didn't understand what was being said and are jumping to hilarious conclusions based off of..I dont even know what.

I am glad you think its "BS." Good for you. But getting better audio, doesnt matter if its wired or wireless isn't "BS."

There are options that are far cheaper than the Pulse. Nobody claimed it had to be more expensive. The goal is to get better audio for the OP. Not start a wireless vs wire war.

You clearly don't know much about DAC's either as you claimed it had to be wired to the console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom