• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 3D Audio

Chukhopops

I actually forgot all about this feature, which is a bit ironoc because, to me, it was one of the most interesting things about the PS5 in the runup to launch.

I'm bummed to hear that it isn't universal for all PS5 games and even moreso that people are having mixed results in the games it is in. I was hoping for a knock-your-socks-off, it-just-works solution. I still want to try it for myself though.
Honestly it was snake oil the moment they said it would work on standard TV speakers. You can have good virtual surround through a headset and it will be an improvement compared to tv speakers or cheap sound bars but it will never match positional surround. The human brain is just too good at detecting sound localization and can’t be fooled that easily.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Really can't comment on the quality of the headset apart from it being closed back so you'd really expect the positioning to not be as good as in a decent open back pair of cans.
My preferred choice of a headset for gaming has long been the Sennheiser HD 600 and in part that is simply down to the wonderful positioning and wide soundstage that it presents and combined with something like the 3D audio in Returnal or Forbidden West it is absolutely magnificent. I really can pinpoint when something is happening around me, it's made such a difference in Forbidden West when doing things like hunting smaller prey and you're trying to track a small bird as you hear it flying around behind you.
The 3D audio itself works wonderfully and in a comparison to Doby Atmos I'm not hearing any advantage to either, apart from of course that Sony don't have to pay Dolby to use this I suppose. I think the only real advantage to a user with Sony's take would be the increased number of voices the algorithm can support but at the moment there isn't a title that uses anything close to the full range and by the time that happens I would have expected Dolby to improve theirs too. At the moment I don't feel that I'm missing anything by them not using all the available voices but I've been so surprised with how well spatial audio works in gaming that I'm not going to say that having hundreds or thousands of extra voices until I've been able to actually experience it myself.
It is worth remember still that it's very early days for 3D audio with the mass market and there's still a lot of room to improve the algorithms that are used but it is something that is very much here to stay now and it will get better. One place that spatial audio will be incredibly important is using PSVR2 because you hearing in 3D space is ground you far more than simple stereo audio could ever hope to do.
Probably worth mentioning that Apple Music uses spatial audio wonderfully and even though it's not something that I thought I'd ever be interested in personally, I have been really impressed with it. Apple Music uses a version of Dolby Atmos and it works just as well on the PS5 as it does on our Apple TV.
Just an aside - spatial audio != 3D audio. Spatial audio is where the sound originates from a spot and will stay in that spot even when you turn your head, ie if the sound is coming from in front of you, if you turn your head to the right the sound will now be to your left. 3D audio from headsets is always just in relation to your head, so if it’s in front of you it will always be in front of you no matter where you’re looking.

People seem to forget too that Xbox has Windows Sonic which is the same thing as atmos and tempest, and is free and included out of the box. From my testing of both there’s no real noticeable difference between Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos through a headset.

For VR I actually find the external speakers on the quest 2 to work amazingly well, better than any headphones could work.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Honestly it was snake oil the moment they said it would work on standard TV speakers. You can have good virtual surround through a headset and it will be an improvement compared to tv speakers or cheap sound bars but it will never match positional surround. The human brain is just too good at detecting sound localization and can’t be fooled that easily.
I had a good old laugh when people were talking up tempest via stereo tv speakers and sound bars 😂

Last edited:
Sonys solution is really underwelming in UC4 Among thieves and Spiderman MM.
The best sound on headphones so far this gen has been Halo infinite using dolby atmos for headphones.
Have you tried Cyberpunk?
Just don't forget to choose Headphones in game audio settings for spacial audio.
It's unbelievable how good it is!

Just an aside - spatial audio != 3D audio. Spatial audio is where the sound originates from a spot and will stay in that spot even when you turn your head, ie if the sound is coming from in front of you, if you turn your head to the right the sound will now be to your left. 3D audio from headsets is always just in relation to your head, so if it’s in front of you it will always be in front of you no matter where you’re looking.
Spatial audio has actually been around for what must be sixty something years now, long before Apple started using it as a brand name for a product and it's always refereed to the audio emanating from a particular place in space. It has existed in both 2D and 3D audio, although Apple's version of Spatial Audio does indeed use motion tracking so that you can change your orientation in the 3D space simply by moving your head, it's certainly not and never has been a requirement of spatial audio.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

People seem to forget too that Xbox has Windows Sonic which is the same thing as atmos and tempest, and is free and included out of the box. From my testing of both there’s no real noticeable difference between Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos through a headset.

For VR I actually find the external speakers on the quest 2 to work amazingly well, better than any headphones could work.

Interesting what different people hear, I hear differences between the 3. For me sonic is the worst by far for a lack of positional audio.
Both dolby and dts headphone sound much larger to me with better placement of sounds.
(Almost 2d vs 3d better) Even then I hear a decent amount of difference between those two. (Forced me to buy both......)

An aside from your post, aways do like to throw out there as an aside to those who think headphone audio can't ever be as good as a 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1 speakers that we of have 2 ears. It's only a matter of time before they completely nail positional headphone audio to a point where it's better than traditional system, just not sure when.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
An aside from your post, aways do like to throw out there as an aside to those who think headphone audio can't ever be as good as a 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1 speakers that we of have 2 ears. It's only a matter of time before they completely nail positional headphone audio to a point where it's better than traditional system, just not sure when.
I just don’t see any way in which this is possible. With headphone 3D audio you’re literally trying to recreate what 5.1 and above systems give you by default. It can’t really be better because it’s trying to emulate it with lesser technology.

THE DUCK

I just don’t see any way in which this is possible. With headphone 3D audio you’re literally trying to recreate what 5.1 and above systems give you by default. It can’t really be better because it’s trying to emulate it with lesser technology.

I know what your saying overall, bit it's nothing more than sound waves hitting 2 ears. If you control the sound waves in a more advanced way, it should work. We may need an improvement in headphone driver tech but I have no doubt it's being worked on.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I know what your saying overall, bit it's nothing more than sound waves hitting 2 ears. If you control the sound waves in a more advanced way, it should work. We may need an improvement in headphone driver tech but I have no doubt it's being worked on.
But how can it be better than actual speakers spaced around you physically in all directions? That’s what I mean, I just can’t see any possible situation where virtual sound through headphones can win.

Can it beat regular stereo sound through headphones, absolutely, but virtual 7.2 through headphones will never beat actual 7.2 with 9 speakers.

THE DUCK

But how can it be better than actual speakers spaced around you physically in all directions? That’s what I mean, I just can’t see any possible situation where virtual sound through headphones can win.

Can it beat regular stereo sound through headphones, absolutely, but virtual 7.2 through headphones will never beat actual 7.2 with 9 speakers.

It can win because all positional audio systems, even conventional, are fighting things like speaker size, position, room reflection, power, etc. It's all an inexact science. Imagine a sophisticated driver that emulates those or a group of smaller drivers with tech that doesn't have those limitations.
It's not there yet but what I hear from Dolby headphone or dts headphone vs what we had just 20 years ago is on a level I didn't expect.

Imtjnotu

When I had the pulses i didn't get any muffling issues. But didn't have them long enough to really know.

Check the settings or maybe the headset itself is bad. Try a different set of 3d headphones

Leyasu

Banned
To early to be definitive, but after an hour I'm thinking Gran Turismo 7 is going to be added to my list of current gen games with the best audio.

Does cost factor in? A schiit setup could cost you as much as everything else combined.
In general, you pay for what you get. But yeah, if you don’t have the money for decent equipment then you have to be happy with the things that you get in your price range. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly

Topher

Gold Member
So which is the better implementation? Tempest Engine or Dolby Atmos?

If you have a Dolby Atmos 5.1 or 7.1 sound system then I'd speculate Xbox Series X will take advantage of that and sound better than Tempest. If the system isn't Dolby Atmos then I'm not sure. With stereo or headphones, in my experience, there isn't any difference.

Tempest Engine x Cerny ASMR.
the lord of the rings GIF

Last edited:

Shmunter

Thought I’d share this hack for users wanting 3D audio while using home theatre headphones.

If you want 3D audio on your home theatre headphones - namely headphones plugged into the tv, or HT receiver, or Bluetooth headphones to the TV set.

TO GET 3D -

- Select TV output in the audio systems settings; forcing tv to output stereo via Hdmi.
- Enable 3D Audio, but Do Not apply the room acoustic measurements. This will send a untouched 2ch 3D mix via stereo the same as you get from the Dualsense headphone jack.

Enjoy your 3D on some high end cans!

Last edited:

SeraphJan

If you have a Dolby Atmos 5.1 or 7.1 sound system then I'd speculate Xbox Series X will take advantage of that and sound better than Tempest. If the system isn't Dolby Atmos then I'm not sure. With stereo or headphones, in my experience, there isn't any difference.
Could Tempest recognize a 3D sound system (receiver) that only supports Atmos?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
In general, you pay for what you get. But yeah, if you don’t have the money for decent equipment then you have to be happy with the things that you get in your price range. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly
Yeah the point is, it's a little silly to call out a $100 setup verses a $1000 setup.

Chukhopops

No surprise you’re banned but me who’s used it and practically every audio tech analysis in the industry who’s tested it
I was about to ask for a source on how virtual surround is considered “industry leading” by “practically every audio tech analysis” but I don’t think I’m getting one…

Even if sound processing was better, until it supports home cinema setups it won’t be as good. It’s like a camera having a potentially superior sensor but saving everything as JPG.

TastyPastry

I have Dolby for Headphones (Series X) and 3D audio from PS5. Without question, much prefer the spatial accuracy of the 3D audio.

Run on a Arctis 7X.

did you play around with the EQ settings of your headset? i bought some arctis 7Ps a couple days ago and i can't seem to get them to sound right. i've been using the "smiley" preset on the steelseries engine. if you could tell me your EQ settings it'd be much appreciated!

FrankWza

Could Tempest recognize a 3D sound system (receiver) that only supports Atmos?
Unless a game or movie is made with an atmos track, Youre basically just getting a mix. It wouldn’t be much different than letting your receiver use whatever upfiring/downfiring included VSS it has. The only difference is, the atmos logo won’t show up on your receiver.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sonys solution is really underwelming in UC4 Among thieves and Spiderman MM.
The best sound on headphones so far this gen has been Halo infinite using dolby atmos for headphones.
Digital Foundry particularly praised the 3D audio in UC4 (PS5). And I can confirm the audio is phenomenal. I think you need to play it (/again) with the right settings.

Topher

Gold Member
Digital Foundry particularly praised the 3D audio in UC4 (PS5). And I can confirm the audio is phenomenal. I think you need to play it (/again) with the right settings.

Sound was great in SM MM as well definitely think some adjustments are needed.

Lognor

Banned
Halo Infinite in Dolby Atmos is the best sound I have heard from any game.
This. I have been playing Halo Infinite over the tv speakers (yeah, I know), and didn't think much of it. But I've been playing Hellblade with my headphones (and Atmos license), which also has fantastic sound by the way. But anyway, I switched over to Halo Infinite with headphones on and was completely blown away. It sounds so much better over headphones that tv speakers.

But anyway, yeah Tempest isn't great from what I've heard. I don't understand why Sony won't allow Atmos. They can do like Microsoft and charge to cover the licensing fee. What's the problem? Tempest is NOT going to take off. It'll be stuck on PS5 and no one else will care. Dolby is the leader in audio and will remain so.

Topher

Gold Member
This. I have been playing Halo Infinite over the tv speakers (yeah, I know), and didn't think much of it. But I've been playing Hellblade with my headphones (and Atmos license), which also has fantastic sound by the way. But anyway, I switched over to Halo Infinite with headphones on and was completely blown away. It sounds so much better over headphones that tv speakers.

But anyway, yeah Tempest isn't great from what I've heard. I don't understand why Sony won't allow Atmos. They can do like Microsoft and charge to cover the licensing fee. What's the problem? Tempest is NOT going to take off. It'll be stuck on PS5 and no one else will care. Dolby is the leader in audio and will remain so.

I disagree with what you've heard, but doesn't matter. Tempest wasn't created to "take off" as a competitor to Dolby. The licensing fee that is being charged to customers is only for headphones. What MS pays Dolby for Atmos in surround sound, I don't think anyone can say, but that's probably a factor for Sony. All I know is that Tempest 3D in headphones are just as good as Atmos from what I've experienced playing both systems.

FrankWza

I was about to ask for a source on how virtual surround is considered “industry leading” by “practically every audio tech analysis” but I don’t think I’m getting one…

Even if sound processing was better, until it supports home cinema setups it won’t be as good. It’s like a camera having a potentially superior sensor but saving everything as JPG.
If you have a home cinema setup your receiver can do just as good of a job with an “atmos” setup. The only time the atmos sound will be better than the receiver lbs processing is if the track is mixed as an atmos track. There is no atmos mixed game, is there? There are Temepest ones though.

Lognor

Banned
I disagree with what you've heard, but doesn't matter. Tempest wasn't created to "take off" as a competitor to Dolby. The licensing fee that is being charged to customers is only for headphones. What MS pays Dolby for Atmos in surround sound, I don't think anyone can say, but that's probably a factor for Sony. All I know is that Tempest 3D in headphones are just as good as Atmos from what I've experienced playing both systems.
Really? That's funny because you constantly hear people saying Tempest is trash or it sounds muffled or isn't good, etc. But you rarely, if ever, hear people saying Atmos isn't good. Most agree that Atmos is very good. You'll hear people argue about what's better on Xbox, DTS or Atmos, but always positive things. Tempest gets a lot of heat. Atmos does not.

And I did not realize that the licensing fee was only for headphones since I'm a pleb using tv speakers (I have the soundbar, just need to set it up along with my new A80J ;)). That's a good point. Microsoft is paying something for that. Something that Sony is not willing to pay...for some reason.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Please explain what's wrong with that. What is the better way to play the game?
Like I said. It proves that you’re a bean shooter. So this entire statement is exactly why you, and the people who speak of Tempest are ill informed or just plain dumb.
They just want to see the little atmos logo light up on their receiver.
Really? That's funny because you constantly hear people saying Tempest is trash or it sounds muffled or isn't good, etc. But you rarely, if ever, hear people saying Atmos isn't good. Most agree that Atmos is very good. You'll hear people argue about what's better on Xbox, DTS or Atmos, but always positive things. Tempest gets a lot of heat. Atmos does not.

And I did not realize that the licensing fee was only for headphones since I'm a pleb using tv speakers (I have the soundbar, just need to set it up along with my new A80J ;)). That's a good point. Microsoft is paying something for that. Something that Sony is not willing to pay...for some reason.

Lognor

Banned
Like I said. It proves that you’re a bean shooter. So this entire statement is exactly why you, and the people who speak of Tempest are ill informed or just plain dumb.
They just want to see the little atmos logo light up on their receiver.
But you have not addressed HOW I should be playing Hellblade if not over headphones with Atmos enabled. Is that not the best way to play? You said there is something wrong with my statement, but you won't state what it is. Quoting me and saying this is what's wrong with your statement means nothing. Now, let's try that one more time. Try to answer in a coherent fashion, please.

Topher

Gold Member

I'm not dependent on the opinions of others in this though. I have my own, first hand. As I said above, I can't speak to 5.1 and 7.1 systems as I don't have either, but with TV sound and headphones there isn't much difference between Tempest and Atmos.

Lognor

Banned
I'm not dependent on the opinions of others in this though. I have my own, first hand. As I said above, I can't speak to 5.1 and 7.1 systems as I don't have either, but with TV sound and headphones there isn't much difference between Tempest and Atmos.
To you. And that's fair. I'm not an audiophile either so it could be the same for me. But I could tell the difference with and without Atmos and it's night and day. It seems others are a bit more critical of Tempest. Maybe bigger audiophiles? I dunno

Chukhopops

If you have a home cinema setup your receiver can do just as good of a job with an “atmos” setup. The only time the atmos sound will be better than the receiver lbs processing is if the track is mixed as an atmos track. There is no atmos mixed game, is there? There are Temepest ones though.
There are quite a few Atmos compatible games, most Xbox first party is: https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/

In Halo Infinite and Gears 5 the experience is just better than with a headset. Of course it’s more expensive and I’m not saying headset is bad. I just disagree with the idea that it’s better than physical surround.

Topher

Gold Member
To you. And that's fair. I'm not an audiophile either so it could be the same for me. But I could tell the difference with and without Atmos and it's night and day. It seems others are a bit more critical of Tempest. Maybe bigger audiophiles? I dunno

I could tell the difference before and after Atmos as well. It is definitely an improvement. And the reason I bought the Atmos license is because I noticed Xbox sound in my headphones wasn't nearly as good as PS5. Atmos corrected that.

As far as what "others" say, I've seen plenty of "others" say good things about Tempest. But it has to be pointed out that console war rhetoric is always going to come into play in MS vs Sony stuff. You can find "others" saying pretty much anything in those discussions. That's why I try to always form my own opinion.

FrankWza

There are quite a few Atmos compatible games, most Xbox first party is: https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/

In Halo Infinite and Gears 5 the experience is just better than with a headset. Of course it’s more expensive and I’m not saying headset is bad. I just disagree with the idea that it’s better than physical surround.
Compatibility does not mean the game was mixed as an Atmos track. Just like Dolby vision on xbox. It’s just adding post processing. That’s why you will see people raving about Demons Souls remake and Returnal. They are both made with Tempest and it shows. Like lognor is stating that he is using Atmos to play hellblade over headphones. The reality is, the devs of hellblade made a specific binaural track that is meant to be played that way. Him using Atmos is adding an extra layer of processing.

Chukhopops

Compatibility does not mean the game was mixed as an Atmos track. Just like Dolby vision on xbox. It’s just adding post processing. That’s why you will see people raving about Demons Souls remake and Returnal. They are both made with Tempest and it shows. Like lognor is stating that he is using Atmos to play hellblade over headphones. The reality is, the devs of hellblade made a specific binaural track that is meant to be played that way. Him using Atmos is adding an extra layer of processing.
Read this for example: https://professional.dolby.com/gaming/gears-5-qa/

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Also I played both Returnal and DS Remake on PS5 (although I dropped Returnal quickly tbh, hated it) and I still prefer positional audio to a headset. I find headsets “flatten” (for lack of a better word) the sound output too much. But that’s personal preference.

FrankWza

Read this for example: https://professional.dolby.com/gaming/gears-5-qa/

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Also I played both Returnal and DS Remake on PS5 (although I dropped Returnal quickly tbh, hated it) and I still prefer positional audio to a headset. I find headsets “flatten” (for lack of a better word) the sound output too much. But that’s personal preference.
They remixed it. It still wasn’t made as an atmos track. If it’s impressive, it would be even more impressive had it been originally made as an atmos track.
A headset can have positional audio

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah the point is, it's a little silly to call out a $100 setup verses a $1000 setup.
No, the point is keeping your expectations in check. If you have a 100 sheets sony wireless headset and it sounds muffled and you are not impressed, then you were clearly expecting the impossible.

The set up that I said could be had for around 400 to 500. Not cheap, but also not expensive. Even with that you should still not expect miracles.

Lognor

Banned
I had to look up the audio for Hellblade, and you're right. I should have turned Atmos off for that game. It still sounds great with Atmos, but I guess it must sound even better without. I'm still playing through it so next time I'll be sure that I have Atmos off.

But to your examples with the PS5 and Tempest, why only those two games as examples? Why isn't HZD2 or Ratchet and Clank or GT7 receiving the same praise? These are Sony games and they're not taking advantage of Tempest?! It sounds like with Tempest, if you use it and a game is not developed with it in mind it sounds very flat and generally not good. With Atmos, like I said, Hellblade still sounded great, so sounds like the post processing isn't as aggressive as Tempest. Not sure if that's something Sony can fix or it is what it is.

Topher

Gold Member
I had to look up the audio for Hellblade, and you're right. I should have turned Atmos off for that game. It still sounds great with Atmos, but I guess it must sound even better without. I'm still playing through it so next time I'll be sure that I have Atmos off.

But to your examples with the PS5 and Tempest, why only those two games as examples? Why isn't HZD2 or Ratchet and Clank or GT7 receiving the same praise? These are Sony games and they're not taking advantage of Tempest?! It sounds like with Tempest, if you use it and a game is not developed with it in mind it sounds very flat and generally not good. With Atmos, like I said, Hellblade still sounded great, so sounds like the post processing isn't as aggressive as Tempest. Not sure if that's something Sony can fix or it is what it is.

Because folks have raved about those two games doesn't mean the sound in other games are bad. That just isn't the case. I was fighting a rockbreaker the other day which burrows underground. I was able to determine where it was underground due to the awesome 3D audio. So no, I don't think you can draw conclusions that games have "flat" audio just because it doesn't receive the same amount of praise. It is the same as what you have said for Atmos. It still sounds good. But it seems some games are going to sound better with 3D turned off and that applies to both Atmos and Tempest.

MikeM

did you play around with the EQ settings of your headset? i bought some arctis 7Ps a couple days ago and i can't seem to get them to sound right. i've been using the "smiley" preset on the steelseries engine. if you could tell me your EQ settings it'd be much appreciated!
Nothing to tell. I haven’t touched them.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I’ve tweaked them to a small degree but can recall exactly.

In any case, Demons Souls sounds great with 3D audio and from what I’ve read, Returnal is a showcase.

Borowski_1

Can't believe people spend 100 bucks on these shitty Pulse 3D

With a little saving and a bit of research, you can get much better audio from real headphones

Top Bottom