• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Xbox Scarlett SSD Will Have Biggest Impact On Games Development

The PS4 has 8 GB of which 5gb is dedicated to games with 170 GB per second of bandwidth now say your playing a game at 60 FPS that's 170/60 that's 3 GB of assets in every frame of that 60 and 5 GB of assets at 30fps it can't display above 5gb on a scene
What happened was ram became more expensive and now all they do is increase the speeds and tricks

Assuming the technology really is up to the task, it almost seems like common sense to me that the most dramatic improvements would be in these types of games.

anthraticus

Banned
Oh great, the next Generation will focus again on Open World (Boredom) "Experiences"
Is it so goddamn hard to make a game that doesnt consists of an wide Map where you do the same 5-7 Mission types over and over ?

Is it so hard to recognize that Open World games aren't going to be your only choices?
Open world games aren't the only ones with this problem unfortunately.

Mission design is def a lost art, especially when it comes to mainstream/AAA gaming.

I guess if the copy/paste thing sells for them though and ppl have such low standards, why go above and beyond ?

cireza

Awesome, open-worlds are my favorite type of games !

And please stop giving options do developers. The more options you give, the more the results will be a shitfest.

Your console supports only one mode resolution+framerate ? All games optimized for it.
Your console supports many modes for resolutions+framerates ? Not a single game is optimized correctly for even one of these modes.

Switch cristallizes all these problems, and it only offers two modes : handheld or docked. You never a game that is optimized correctly for both modes. This includes framerate and resolution adapted for each mode (1080 TV and 720 handheld) as well as hud adapted for each mode (less space loss in handheld mode + bigger text).

Developers nowadays don't make any particular efforts (more like they don't have budget allowed for it), yet they never had so many options available for them. They simply make whatever game they want for a presset PC config, and throw the thing on whatever device they have to without making proper efforts to adapt to resolution, framerate and usage. This is a very common issue and annoys me quite a lot.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Open world games aren't the only ones with this problem unfortunately.

Mission design is def a lost art, especially when it comes to mainstream/AAA gaming.

I guess if the copy/paste thing sells for them though and ppl have such low standards, why go above and beyond ?
I disagree. There are plenty of games out there with exceptional mission design. I don't know what people are looking for.
Maybe my standards are low.

Kagey K

Banned
Aww, little diddums' joke didn't land so he feels the need to denigrate.

Poor baby.
I’m pretty sure yours was the only head it landed over.

No poor baby here, just someone trying to have a bit of fun in a sea of rage posts.

It’s ok to not understand things, and go back to them later and self reflect, nobody is going to hold that against you.

I often make jokes that are a swing and miss, but it doesn’t stop me from trying again.

You aren’t going to find any self pity here, what I do find funny though is people that swing deep on a post that was only meant to be funny.

Maybe you should back up and try this conversation again, or just keep going down this road, the choice is yours.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Again sp
Awesome, open-worlds are my favorite type of games !

And please stop giving options do developers. The more options you give, the more the results will be a shitfest.

Your console supports only one mode resolution+framerate ? All games optimized for it.
Your console supports many modes for resolutions+framerates ? Not a single game is optimized correctly for even one of these modes.

Switch cristallizes all these problems, and it only offers two modes : handheld or docked. You never a game that is optimized correctly for both modes. This includes framerate and resolution adapted for each mode (1080 TV and 720 handheld) as well as hud adapted for each mode (less space loss in handheld mode + bigger text).

Developers nowadays don't make any particular efforts (more like they don't have budget allowed for it), yet they never had so many options available for them. They simply make whatever game they want for a presset PC config, and throw the thing on whatever device they have to without making proper efforts to adapt to resolution, framerate and usage. This is a very common issue and annoys me quite a lot.

Again, as I was discussing with a tree cutting bonafide genius, I feel that some developers are pushing the boundary of optimisation to users and users are calling for it as choice: Minecraft Switch crystallised it for me with particles rendering distance, texture aliasing,“nice” graphics toggles, block drawing distance, FOV (well, Minecraft’s definition of it anyways ;)), block simulation distance, etc... all with impact on performance...

Some options are fine, but I buy console games because developers have normally been expected to give a curated, opinionated, optimised experience.

cireza

Some options are fine, but I buy console games because developers have normally been expected to give a curated, opinionated, optimised experience.
I personally don't want a PC experience on console. What does this switch do ? Better shadows but I lose 5 fps. This one ? There are 4 values possible ? Each time something changes and never get a firm grasp of what you are actually doing and how it impacts visuals, resolution, quality and framerate.

Most of the time you don't have these choices anyway. When you are lucky you get a "Performance vs Quality" toggle and that's not too bad. You should also have a "4K vs 1080p" rendering option. And that should be it, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Shifty

I’m pretty sure yours was the only head it landed over.

No poor baby here, just someone trying to have a bit of fun in a sea of rage posts.

It’s ok to not understand things, and go back to them later and self reflect, nobody is going to hold that against you.

I often make jokes that are a swing and miss, but it doesn’t stop me from trying again.

You aren’t going to find any self pity here, what I do find funny though is people that swing deep on a post that was only meant to be funny.

Maybe you should back up and try this conversation again, or just keep going down this road, the choice is yours.
So to recap- you cracked a half-baked hellpoint dev joke, I misread it as console-ite doubt over tech that's existed for years and chimed in with some information, you then explained the joke and received the deadpan lol you seemed to be looking for in return.

At that point I'd expect the conversation to be over, doubly so based on this idea that a swing and a miss doesn't stop you from dusting yourself off trying again. Why should you care if some rando on GAF doesn't like your joke, especially if there are so many others happy to give you those LOL reacts?

And yet here you are, going on tilt and constructing a silly little "no fun allowed" strawman. My sense of humor isn't under your jursidiction dawg, and I'll treat you to some well-deserved derision if you choose to act as if it is.

Birdo

Banned
All that SSD speed at it will still take an age to update a game on Sony's shitty servers.

Also, I'll assume external HDDs will run as slow as old gen when attached for extra space.

How will this influence PC's? Our current knowledge of next gen consoles suggests they're using a custom SSD solution that's faster than traditional PC SSD's (Cerny confirmed this too). Games will likely be optimized around these faster SSD's.

Does this mean people with traditional SSD's will have performance limitations?

It means what it always means for PC gamers. Another expensive upgrade is comming..... Been there many times.....

Jon Neu

Banned
Are we really prepared for bigger and more detailed open world games?

I mean, playing something like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, already feels gigantic and full of life. Imagine a game 3 or 4 times bigger, more detailed and with better graphics. It would be fucking eternal.

I'm already drooling.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SSD won't change the way we play video games, but this is how you improve graphics, world building etc.

All this praise with SSD drive for consoles, what about the potential negatives:

1) Arent SSD's more expensive then the current hardrives of Xbone and PS4? Wont that increase the cost of next gen consoles?
2) Will 500GB-1TB SSD of storage be enough for game installations, and gave saves considering that Scarlett and PS5 will most likely utilize 4K Ultra Blu-Ray Disks with 100+ GB of Data?

Im all in for SSD drives on consoles, I am just being cautious. Perhaps more flexible options for external SSD hardrives utilizing USB 3.1 (or USB 4.0) Gen 2 type A or C port?!

Last edited:
Are we really prepared for bigger and more detailed open world games?

I mean, playing something like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, already feels gigantic and full of life. Imagine a game 3 or 4 times bigger, more detailed and with better graphics. It would be fucking eternal.

I'm already drooling.
They could make a 10x bigger assassin's creed this gen or even last gen the elephant in the room here is the amount and quality of assets per frame!

VFXVeteran

Banned
They could make a 10x bigger assassin's creed this gen or even last gen the elephant in the room here is the amount and quality of assets per frame!

A good estimate would be how the PC runs these games. I think definitely more assets. But something is going to be the limit. I'll guess and say it'll be the GPU. Shaders will be worked much harder especially if they go for true 4k.

CrisPy2019

Pardon my ignorance but don't SSDs die because of writes? And memory usually has lifetime warranty because well they last forever?

Planned obsolescence?

Last edited:
Top Bottom