• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Expandable Storage - more details emerge (Update: Appears unrelated to PS5)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Concerns regarding over priced memory are valid. But I suspect both MS and Sony are looking for a way to expand storage without using external hard drives, because they would defeat the whole point of SSD's (without having to transfer before playing I would think, which kind of defeats the purpose).
It's simple actually. Allow an external HDD for storage of games only. Then when user wants to play that game, they copy it over to the SSD and play away.
The SSD will likely be at least a TB, so it's not like they can't keep quite a few games on there. I mean if you're juggling between 10-20 games you're playing at a time it might be annoying to do that, but there is not really a solution for that.

Miles708

I am really struggling as to how anyone sees this as a bad thing. It's at worst an inconvenience and that's an inconvenience only if they prohibit the use of an external HDD for backing up unplayed games.

The PS5 will come with storage, so it's not like additional storage will be absolutely required. From what I gather the proprietary storage will only be required if you want to run a game off of it.

Solution: delete the games you don't play anymore and there will never be a need for the proprietary storage.

As I said, it could be an inconvenience if they don't allow an external generic HDD to store games not being used, but I suspect they will.

It's like the current situation with 500GB PS4. The space is enough until it's not anymore, and I don't want to re-download every DLC because i want to make a quick run on a game I had to uninstall.
On PS5 you'll be able to download only pieces, but it's still an inconvenience. I really hope they will give the option to uninstall only the base game and leave patches and DLCs, so I don't have to connect online at least.

Last edited:
It's simple actually. Allow an external HDD for storage of games only. Then when user wants to play that game, they copy it over to the SSD and play away.
The SSD will likely be at least a TB, so it's not like they can't keep quite a few games on there. I mean if you're juggling between 10-20 games you're playing at a time it might be annoying to do that, but there is not really a solution for that.

this sounds good to me

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's like the current situation with 500GB PS4. The space is enough until it's not anymore, and I don't want to re-download every DLC because i want to make a quick run on a game I had to uninstall.
On PS5 you'll be able to download only pieces, but it's still an inconvenience. I really hope they will give the option to uninstall only the base game and leave patches and DLCs, so I don't have to connect online at least.
Again, I fail to see how that issue goes away if they allow proprietary or not. Space is always gonna be an issue for some people.

Nickolaidas

I am really struggling as to how anyone sees this as a bad thing. It's at worst an inconvenience and that's an inconvenience only if they prohibit the use of an external HDD for backing up unplayed games.
See, that's not an option because --
Um … that's … actually a … good idea. HDDs used only to spare low-connection people from waiting a week until Red Dead 2 is downloaded, yet not used to play on the go.

Nice.

Nickolaidas

are you dumb! Do u think ps5 games will take same space and ram as PS4
It's quite possible they will. HDD-based games needed to duplicate certain files in order to reduce load times. SSDs don't have that issue so the files should be smaller. But better textures will increase file sizes to … maybe the same size we have today? I wouldn't be surprised if AAA games remain in the 30 minimum / 120 maximum GB spectrum.

And never call people names when they're not directly insulting you.

Last edited:

onQ123

LOL Toio again

MUm8YtP.png

sony-toio-value-pack-programming-kit-kids-2.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why OP says SATA?

If PS5 is using SSD it will probably use PCI-E and not SATA as bus for it... in fact PS5 won't need a SATA controller this time.
And external storage can be done via USB controller.

You don't need the frankstain way Sony did with PS4... and SATA to USB converter lol

Ok...so my 4TB external drive will be useless? I don't want to keep re-downloading games because I'm running out of space.
You only need a USB controller to read/write external driver.

Last edited:
Maybe, but if that's all it's for, why not just have a microSD card handle that at SATA Express speed? They already have the storage, portability, small size, pricing etc. All they'd need to do is manage access and read/write privileges on the PS5 itself at the OS level to ensure users aren't uploading or downloading content they aren't privileged to.
already on the market can serve those purposes very well.

AlarmingDrearyLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

Sony tried it before with the Vita, I wouldn't be shocked if it uses something along those lines but it could be anything really!

quest

Not Banned from OT
This needs to be an option to many places in merica with extremely slow or capped internet. People need large storage options for those situations so they are not forced over data caps because of storage management. If these I'm sure very expensive cartridges are the only way to expand storage bleep Sony. They and MS expect games to get much larger including 100gb br drive this time around.

Jtibh

Banned
After P.T. i will never strust anything digital.
I welcome this as i want to be able to keep my games in its limited form.

Justin9mm

It doesnt matter what sony does at this point.
Stadia proved to be the future.
On a serious note, Stadia could be a genius idea in the making should they somehow improve the tech of the reliability and performance in the near future and at a lot cheaper price point.

But I feel this type of service has probably been released at least a decade too early. I think in a world with limitless data caps and ultra speeds coupled with a solid concrete service, this is probably the way the future is heading. But thinking they can release something that has the slightest lag with data hungry performance is ridiculous. How they thought we would even accept inferior response times and performance is beyond me! I feel they just wanted to be the first to get this out before someone else capitalised on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up using proprietary hardware for expandable storage, considering they are using a custom SSD solution. Don't know why people are getting so pissed over this. You won't be able to play games from your HDD or SATA. It only makes sense as a secondary form of storage, but you would need to pass all that data to the SSD before you play.

Games will be developed with the SSD in mind.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
On a serious note, Stadia could be a genius idea in the making should they somehow improve the tech of the reliability and performance in the near future and at a lot cheaper price point.

But I feel this type of service has probably been released at least a decade too early. I think in a world with limitless data caps and ultra speeds coupled with a solid concrete service, this is probably the way the future is heading. But thinking they can release something that has the slightest lag with data hungry performance is ridiculous. How they thought we would even accept inferior response times and performance is beyond me! I feel they just wanted to be the first to get this out before someone else capitalised on it.
My living room is built so that i dont see any console any components any wire etc. Its all behind doors ventilated and only thing u see is the screen plus sound bar.
I would like to ahow a pic but every time i try to upload it fails to upload.
Anyways my point is to me this would be perfect running games without any hardware keeping a nice clean modern look.
But its not even the fact that its a big fucking lie no hardware pfff yeah or the lag and drop in quality on the fly.
The fact you charge full price on year old games plus the monthly fee is just a big fuck you of the highest order.
No one would ever say anything bad about stadia if it would be what it is. The netflix of gaming. Pay you 20 bucks a mo th log in and enjoy .

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the fuck up. Proprietary memory? If history is anything to go buy it will extremely overpriced and have a short life.

It's quite possible they will. HDD-based games needed to duplicate certain files in order to reduce load times. SSDs don't have that issue so the files should be smaller. But better textures will increase file sizes to … maybe the same size we have today? I wouldn't be surprised if AAA games remain in the 30 minimum / 120 maximum GB spectrum.

And never call people names when they're not directly insulting you.
Who gives u the idea that games should be 30 to 120gb where did you get this standards, as far as I'm concerned games have no standard limit, there's more assets more textures bigger worlds everything is gonna be maxed again gta6 could probably be a 250 or 500gb game

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I feel like we had this conversation once when they patented cartridges for Toio which is what this is probably for.

Pallas

Gold Member
You think?

Smart ass, I was referring to the thread about the cartridges that Sony patented also a while back.

6v4ZsLk.jpg

Top Bottom