• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents a new cartridge for games

Whitecrow

Banned
201811271328922_1.jpg

It seems like Sony has not give up totally in the portable gaming business.

As Techtastic says, Sony registered in South Korea a new patent for a'game cartridge'.

201811271328922_2.jpg

Interestingly enough, back in 2017, it was discovered another patent for a portable device, similar to switch.
201811271328922_3.jpg

All we can do is speculate, but this definitely opens the possibility of having a vita successor, but lets hope in any case that memory cards are not propietary this time.
So... let the speculation begin?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
[...]
All we can do is speculate, but this definitely opens the possibility oh having a vita successor, but again, with a propietary data card.

The "problem" with the PS Vita was not the game card (it would tank 3DS and Switch too if it were), but the fact that the games were quite big and the device did not have onboard storage and memory cards were proprietary (which drags a strong suspicion of being massively overpriced as general customers compare them to el-cheapo SD cards that may or may not pass the bandwidth and latency requirements the console has).

With decent on board storage (16-32 GB at minimum), SDXC support, and with lots of people now being accustomed to digital downloads the situation with a new Sony portable would be different I think.

Arun1910

Does anyone WANT a Vita Successor? I was let down by the support of this early on, and the game selection isn't exactly great.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This isn't what we meant by discless, Sony.

Kupfer

I'd love for Sony to release a sequel to the Vita.
The switch proves that you don't need pure computing power to be successful. Just as little as a 3g module or a touchpad on the back on the Vita.
Better would be a more stable remote play connection to the ps4 and a complete dualshock button layout, so you can have a good streaming experience at home. For example, I'm sitting 5m away from the ps4 (pro) and can't get a trouble-free connection if I'm connected directly to the 2.4ghz network.
But the vita is still my favorite handheld, i own three and play almost daily 15 minutes to one hour. I would buy a Vita II if it really became reality.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sony would be very smart to imitate Nintendo and make the PS5 a hybrid portable/docked platform.

The main reason why folks predict "game streaming is the future! All digital is the future!" is because of convenience. I'd rather have a PS4.5 that I can take on the go than a beefy PS5 that chases after those ever-diminishing returns.

Plus, if they make it a tablet (like the Switch) it could be slid into the PSVR2 headset, lowering the cost of that, too. Maybe it'd even be wireless.

Whitecrow

Banned
The "problem" with the PS Vita was not the game card (it would tank 3DS and Switch too if it were), but the fact that the games were quite big and the device did not have onboard storage and memory cards were proprietary (which drags a strong suspicion of being massively overpriced as general customers compare them to el-cheapo SD cards that may or may not pass the bandwidth and latency requirements the console has).

With decent on board storage (16-32 GB at minimum), SDXC support, and with lots of people now being accustomed to digital downloads the situation with a new Sony portable would be different I think.
Oh my memory betrayed me. Fixed.

On topic:
I dont know what to think.
I think of Sony as a brand dedicated to more hardcore gaming, as it is where it truly succeeds. And hardcore gaming and handhelds... dunno, I dont see it doing great.
Unless Sony makes some games targeted exclusively to handheld gaming possibilities. That could be really great

Last edited:

Senhua

lol at all people who think this is for PS5 to be hybrid consoles. It will cost $1000 (like iphone) if true guys.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
201811271328922_1.jpg

It seems like Sony has not give up totally in the portable gaming business.

As Techtastic says, Sony registered in South Korea a new patent for a'game cartridge'.

201811271328922_2.jpg

Interestingly enough, back in 2017, it was discovered another patent for a portable device, similar to switch.
201811271328922_3.jpg

All we can do is speculate, but this definitely opens the possibility of having a vita successor, but lets hope in any case that memory cards are not propietary this time.

If this was a Vita Successor that doubled as an alternate controller for PS5 and had reliable/Stable remote play I would be all in on it.

onQ123

Whatever that is it's pretty much already done or about to come out so it's probably something that has nothing to do with a new PlayStation handheld or Console , it's probably in stores over there already,

Whitecrow

Banned
If this was a Vita Successor that doubled as an alternate controller for PS5 and had reliable/Stable remote play I would be all in on it.
I dont know why, but you may have thr truth here. That would be an incredible new gen addition.

(Yes, I know PS4 could remote play with Vita but... Vita was Vita)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd be on board for a Vita successor if it was true cross-play. All PS5, maybe 4, games to work on the thing at a lower resolution, sold. Probably quite the pipe dream but I'd be on board day one.

And of course ditch the horse shit proprietary memory.

Akuza89

I thought sony was done with handheld stuff really... since Nintendo dominate that category..

it'd be nice for a competitor though don't get me wrong! However imitating the switch seems a little off..

However, lets see what happens I guess!

wipeout364

I would be for a new vita modeled after the switch, problem is I don’t want that to be Sony’s PS5 and we all know how Sony does with side projects.

Mr Hyde

Nah, I´m good with the Switch. And given how Sony treated Vita I´m not exactly keen on spending a hefty amount of cash for their next portable. Vita means "life". Yeah, in latin it does but over at Sony HQ it means "death".

theHFIC

I wish they just added saves to the cart again like before. Why can't they do that?
i think the bigger problem would be for digital purchase games, DLC for cart based games, and the inevitable huge day one patches that come out. I remember Helldivers for Vita had almost a gig worth of downloadable updates and patches. Same with Borderlands 2.

If Sony were to make a miniaturized, portable PS3/Playman that actually supported the entire library digitally thanks to miniaturized tech and allowed you to access software BC for PS2, PS1 and PSP just like the real deal and they ganked the whole Switch portability/snap off controller style best believe that people would line up to throw money at them.

Playstation-Playman.jpg.optimal.jpg

PlayStation-Playman-controller-738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

Playstation-playman-ps4-slim-extra-738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

Its a simple no brainer money generator there for an infastructure they've already got and it would take a chunk out of Nintendos market share as well, especially if they punted it for around $150-$200.

Trogdor1123

i think the bigger problem would be for digital purchase games, DLC for cart based games, and the inevitable huge day one patches that come out. I remember Helldivers for Vita had almost a gig worth of downloadable updates and patches. Same with Borderlands 2.
You would think there would be some internal memory no? Or is this just another way to extract money?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hopefully this isn't a hybrid console/handheld portable

Look terible to me

Keep DS4 design and improve from that one

Leave gimmick controller to Nintendo, just focus on power and console hardware

cryptoadam

Banned
Sony would be stupid to stop doing what works for them.

Nintendo and their crazy ideas works for them. It fails sometimes(Virtual boy, Wii U) and works others (Wii, Switch).

Sony sells 100 million + consoles without gimmicks or crazy ideas. Just a powerful machine to play next gen games with next gen graphics. If it aint broke, don't fix it IMO.

Moochi

I doubt it makes sense to release a Switch clone without some new gimmick feature like a foldable screen, or the ability to play the existing Ps4 library. Any new portable system will get eaten alive vs. the Switch without a huge launch library.

onQ123

Not a new system. For the Sony Toio.

l_mm_omotya2017_21.jpg

I knew the images was too detailed for it to be something that wasn't about to come out .

Whatever that is it's pretty much already done or about to come out so it's probably something that has nothing to do with a new PlayStation handheld or Console , it's probably in stores over there already,

Last edited:
Top Bottom