• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Has Started Mass Production

What's the quote?

Gamespot only had it "soon"

Manufacturing of PS5 is expected to start soon in order for the console to make its launch date. That could potentially lead to a leak regarding the look of the system, which remains a complete mystery (although we have gotten a look at the PS5's controller, DualSense). As such, Sony may intend to publicly reveal the look of the system in the near future.

Did they actually say it has officially started?

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
I have only found this

As Sony prepares to unveil the PS5’s first slate of games at an online showcase next week, manufacturing of the new console has begun, said Jim Ryan, president and chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “It will ramp [up] over the course of the summer,” he said. “People are quite surprised by this but we are on track . . . We believe we’ll have quantities sufficient to support a global launch.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Eimran

Still hoping for a black version with PS one touches like this controller with original logo
ylOruPI.jpg

If this is true. It could actually launch the same month as PS2! Maybe they will hold off to have even more stock though.

Last edited:
Excellent news. I wonder how many they can produce per week. I hope everyone who wants one can get one. But to be safe, I'm preordering in two locations lol.

He said ramping up in summer not that they are starting now, ps4 didn't go into mass production until early September.

Last edited:
I always get caught up in the hype and fun of the console launch. I already know that without a doubt, I'll be playing AC Valhalla on my launch PS5 day one. I'm hoping for Demons Souls and Horizon 2, but I'll still be hype for AC.

Eimran

did you even bother looking at the tweet?

it has an all black controller.

jeez some people...

Yes I looked....did you?

Mine has PS buttons in the original colors while the tweet displays an all black with no colored buttons.

If you want to try to sound like a smartass, at least do your research.

I had money to blow on holidays but COVID-19 fucked me over so instead it looks like I'll day one on this. The launch games better blow me the fuck away. (Just gimme Vampire 2)

FranXico

Yeah, one week at most until we get leaked photos from Foxconn. Sony really has to show the design on Thursday.

Last edited:

FranXico

ps4 controllers will be compatible with ps5? i have about 11 or 12 in reserve.
Woah, that's a lot of controllers mate. Yes, PS4 peripherals should work on PS5. But Sony should confirm it on Thursday.

Last edited:

Zero7

Sony would be silly not to show the console on Thursday. Especially now it's in full tilt production.

Even they just show a couple of snapshots of it, it's better coming from them, than coming from some Chinese dude at Foxconn

Last edited:

cragarmi

I would expect production would have to start about now to meet it's needed volume. I expect final dev kits are also going out, now shipping is beginning to happen again. 99.9% sure we will see the final design on Thursday at the latest

I'm assuming Sony is going to show the design today. Microsoft already shower their tower style design months ago so I feel Sony is behind and has to show it. Maybe I'm from but surprised most people think its being saved for later.

Actually, the above is inaccurate. PS5 assembly is almost completely automated, just as is done with the PS4 console:

On the outskirts of Kisarazu, a large, white building towers over an otherwise suburban landscape. Once inside, visitors are greeted by the whirring of motors as dozens of robots seamlessly churn out PlayStation 4 consoles.

Just a few humans were present to deal with a handful of tasks -- two to feed bare motherboards to the line, and two to package the finished consoles.

But the actual assembly is done entirely by articulated robots, supplied by Mitsubishi Electric. The 31.4-meter line, completed in 2018, has the ability to churn out a new console every 30 seconds.

Top Bottom