• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

Phil is not amused

phil-spencer-xbox-1.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
See....this is what happens when you see some stats for Series console sales and think it isnt that bad.....context is a helluva thing.

I do not see it getting any better before 2028.

This is why Satya came in and ended Phil's parade. These numbers are absolutely catastrophic and explain why MS has basically given up on Xbox and why they are shutting down studios left and right and porting everything to PS5/Switch. The party is over and this is probably the last console we will see from MS. Next hardware won't be a traditional console for sure. Phil fucked up too many times and now it's really over for traditional Xbox consoles.

Now It Ends Season 6 GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This is the true fallout of the xbox one. Nothing was "turned around" and when it came time to choose their next console, well, people aren't stupid. The loyalty to those digital libraries is greatly exaggerated.
This is where I am. It's much more than just those libraries. People simply don't want an Xbox and the true, game changing downturn began in 2013. It never recovered to those 360 levels (be it mindshare, marketshare, or otherwise), despite the early years where Xbox One was competitive with the PS4 in North America.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup, Xbox consoles have fallen through the floor.

Sony also doesn't see the ps5 outselling the ps4. I think we will see it slip and fall further behind here on out. That is why they mentioned that they are focusing on player time and retaining players across other platforms.
More PC stuff incoming with psn logins
“More PC game ported loading sales? Oh no, have we tried to fix it by porting more games to PC sooner? Whaaat? Consoles sales fell more? How is it possible? We have tried almost everything… we could try to make our games PC exclusive, that has to help console sales!”

😂. I kid I kid!

I humored my wife and got a Series X back in 2021 for her, I don't regret it per se, all of her 360 games are BC and she has played a fair amount of 3rd party games on it.

But no way am I even consdering getting the next Xbox, if there even is one.

No, they are at 6:1 gap now going forward and the generation isn’t halfway done yet.

It’s going to be a bloodbath. The series consoles will be lucky to get over 40M sold
There is no 6:1 gap. Launch align it is not particularly different from PS4/XBO split. PS5 gained some in USA but by and large, launch aligned the difference is not big. Xbox is around 30m while PS5 is around 60m.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
There is no 6:1 gap. Launch align it is not particularly different from PS4/XBO split. PS5 gained some in USA but by and large, launch aligned the difference is not big.

There is from where we are today

The 2:1 gap last gen was throughout all of it

So, it won’t be 6:1 overall, but it will likely be 3.5 : 1 when all is said and done

Xbox will be lucky to get 40M for series consoles. PS5 will probably settle around 120-140

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

I doubt there will be another Xbox Console at this point.

- Day1 PC releases for exclusives was a mistake
- PC day1 probably is one factor why their games are way too long in development
- Launched into this Gen without a exclusive lol
- Games launch unfinished after years of Dev hell.
- Games announced in 2019/2020 are still MiA
- General Studio Management and offhand approach leads to long dev cycles and development hell for lots of titles
- Gamepass offerings getting lower and unexciting

List goes on and on.

It really really sucks what happened to Xbox.
I miss the OG Xbox and 360 days with their really exclusive Games and no PC shit.
I miss being excited for Microsofts Summer Showcases and their games.
Its

Nydius

Launch align it is not particularly different from PS4/XBO split.

Except, of course, for the fact that Microsoft launched a budget console at the same time, a fact you ignore or dismiss.

You can bury your head in the sand with comments like “people just buy what they want regardless of price” all you want. It doesn’t change the fact that without the Series S, the Xbox Series would be even deeper underwater. It’s taken Microsoft offering a cheap unit just to stay in the same place as they were when it was a true head-to-head, single SKU, competition.

So, it won’t be 6:1 overall, but it will likely be 3.5 : 1 when all is said and done

Xbox will be lucky to get 40M for series consoles. PS5 will probably settle around 120-140
Just given everything that has transpired in the past 4 months, what does a "next-gen" Xbox even look like in 2026? Every 3rd party developer will still be developing for PS5 and/or Switch 2 until 2030. I don't see any world where Microsoft releases exclusive "Next Gen" games to such a small ecosystem, especially when millions of Gamepass subscribers will still be on Series S/X. Not to mention, Microsoft would have to abandon their multi-platform strategy. In my mind, there is no way that the next console won't be incredibly niche. It will only cater to gamers that want to keep their Xbox library

Last edited:
Except, of course, for the fact that Microsoft launched a budget console at the same time, a fact you ignore or dismiss.
So what? Unless you somehow want to exclude Xbox Series S from calculation it does not change anything - would anything change if Microsoft only had Xbox Series X? Who knows?

It is like arguing if the situation would be different if COVID did not exist for example. What would change if there was no shortage? What would change if the games were not delayed? What would change if there was no crazy COVID gaming growth?

So it is not 6:1? Cool. By and large, I expect Xbox get somewhere close to Xbox One but maybe 10m console less, with PS5 stopping at around 100m maybe. After all Switch 2 will have a proper third party support now. With big GaaS games being there - Fortnite, Minecraft, COD this time - including potentially GTA Online in the future - Switch 2 will affect the market as Switch 1 did not benefit much from third parties the last gen.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sony also doesn't see the ps5 outselling the ps4. I think we will see it slip and fall further behind here on out. That is why they mentioned that they are focusing on player time and retaining players across other platforms.
More PC stuff incoming with psn logins
How are you arriving at this conclusion?

You realize there was no GTA entry in the PS4 gen right? or that the PS5 has yet to see a price drop and is still on pace with the PS4 which has had a 25% price drop by this time in its cycle.

By the time GTA is released, the XS series would be all but dead. And its not coming to PC for at least.... however long. Can you imagine what that game would do for a $299 PS5 next year?

There is nothing going on now or that is to come, that would suggest what you are saying is even remotely the case.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
How are you arriving at this conclusion?

You realize there was no GTA entry in the PS4 gen right? or that the PS5 has yet to see a price drop and is still on pace with the PS4 which has had a 25% price drop by this time in its cycle.

By the time GTA is released, the XS series would be all but dead. And its not coming to PC for at least.... however long. Can you imagine what that game would do for a $299 PS5 next year?

There is nothing going on now or that is to come, that would suggest what you are saying is even remotely the case.

PS4 also had to compete with an Xbox selling 50%.

That’s now Joever and PS5 becomes the defacto console

Last edited:

Three

Xbox is dead, I wouldn't be surprised if MS actually ended up retiring the branding and just either going with Microsoft Gaming or putting everything under the Activision brand.
I think at one point they thought about this before realising MS Gamepass branding might be worse than xbox. They've made the xbox brand the studios and gamepass hence the "every screen is an xbox", xbox the console is in the gutter though. I think they will shift the brand heavily towards mobile.

I don't really see a way forward for them at this juncture.

Financially speaking, it's really just a smarter play to do mostly third-party publishing, but I think that's also a "danger".

What I mean is--you're looking for a way to entice people into your system(s), but once someone like Marcus Fenix or Master Chief appears on a Sony console(or even Nintendo) there's..no way back from that.

The perception of who they are changes forever at that point, imo.

I think they'll be reluctant to go forward with any other major acquisitions, because the CMA and FTC have now seen post-decision just what they will do if they buy anyone else. They'll fight it a lot harder.

CosmicComet

This is why Satya came in and ended Phil's parade. These numbers are absolutely catastrophic and explain why MS has basically given up on Xbox and why they are shutting down studios left and right and porting everything to PS5/Switch. The party is over and this is probably the last console we will see from MS. Next hardware won't be a traditional console for sure. Phil fucked up too many times and now it's really over for traditional Xbox consoles.

Now It Ends Season 6 GIF
Notice how quiet Phil has been for...I feel like nearly a year.

Satya has been putting hands on that boy behind closed doors.

Crayon

I humored my wife and got a Series X back in 2021 for her, I don't regret it per se, all of her 360 games are BC and she has played a fair amount of 3rd party games on it.

But no way am I even consdering getting the next Xbox, if there even is one.

As long as she's playing that much on it, it's a good buy! :lollipop_squinting:

My wife games too and boy am I glad. My friends get browbeat if they play too much and they end up all healthy and productive n shit.

Top Bottom