• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If the ratio (outside this quarter) is 2:1 to the PS5 and Sony ends up selling 120 million this generation Xbox can end with 50-60 mill.
For that ratio to even get close to accurate, Xbox has to cooperate. You’ve yet to explain how they will make up a 30+ million deficit when they aren’t even selling 1 million a quarter anymore.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
If the ratio (outside this quarter) is 2:1 to the PS5 and Sony ends up selling 120 million this generation Xbox can end with 50-60 mill.
It's tracking below Xbox one by millions already and the rate of falling behind is increasing. Ps5 is basically on par with ps4. The ratio will be higher even if we don't factor in pro and gta6 and stuff possibly giving ps5 the strength to move past ps4

H-I-M

The ratio in Europe was 9:1 for the whole year of 2023.

Almost 10:1 in February 2024.

lol-sincerely-ciara.gif

JCK75

They’re closing down studios left and right + porting their games to PS5. I honestly don’t know why anybody would buy an Xbox right now. It can only get worse from here.

They made a bloated purchase and then cleaned house.. they are porting 3 old games to PS5..
you're take on the situation is not an honest one but one of pure fanboyism...
the entire industry is in a shakeup right now, Sony did an 8% reduction in staff too not long ago.

MS had very few worthwhile games in the past few years..Sony has a ton
Sony has very few upcoming games to look forward to.. MS has quite a few

There is absolutely a huge opening for MS to turn this around and it's possible even with their shitty leadership and potential for fuckups.

They made a bloated purchase and then cleaned house.. they are porting 3 old games to PS5..
the entire industry is in a shakeup right now, Sony did an 8% reduction in staff too not long ago.

There is absolutely a huge opening for MS to turn this around and it's possible even with their shitty leadership and potential for fuckups.
1. this is a bit
2. stop getting your narratives from Twitter fanboys.

Yep, Xbox fans have been waiting for these great games to drop.

Starfield and Halo were far beyond gamers expectations. I’m certain that Hellblade 2 will also wow gamers.

Then we have Fable and Avowed coming…Surely these will be bangers right?

What a great time to be an Xbox gamer!

BmIKGoW.gif

Sethbacca

The problem that MS have created for themselves now is that they're setting the expectation that they're willing to do ports to PS5 now. All it's going to do is push more people to PS5 with the expectation that they'll be able to get both Sony and MS games going forward eventually. If there was little reason to buy an Xbox before, there's even less reason now.

Comforting 30 Rock GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Are you for real? If Forza and Starfield didn’t move the needle on Gamepass subs and couldn’t sell consoles, what games do you see in 2024-2025 that will do better?

You really think Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves,
Pentiment, and Grounded will be the only Xbox first party games coming to PS5? All the rumors we’ve heard say this is just the beginning.

And “cleaning house”? Yeah sure. They closed the relatively small studio behind their best game of last year (Tango). That’s not “cleaning house”, that’s sacrificing a very talented studio just to make their books look better in the short term.

JCK75

Yep, Xbox fans have been waiting for these great games to drop.

Starfield and Halo were far beyond gamers expectations. I’m certain that Hellblade 2 will also wow gamers.

Then we have Fable and Avowed coming…Surely these will be bangers right?

What a great time to be an Xbox gamer!

BmIKGoW.gif

The number of huge franchises they aquired is too big to not make in impact once the games start to roll out of it..
There will be a third Wolfenstein and a new Doom game both coming in the next year.
Not every company they purchased is the shitshow behind Starfield..

All they need to turn this around is to release a more powerful revision to Series S and the same price and include a major game..
but to pretend it's completely over for them when they now own so much strong content is a bit silly.

LordCBH

This is what delusion looks like.

JCK75

The problem that MS have created for themselves now is that they're setting the expectation that they're willing to do ports to PS5 now. All it's going to do is push more people to PS5 with the expectation that they'll be able to get both Sony and MS games going forward eventually. If there was little reason to buy an Xbox before, there's even less reason now.

I got news for you, Sony needs franchises MS now owns.. you think they won't be willing to do ports too? Any game that requires other players to play needs as much of an audience as they can get and it makes sense for any company to get such games on as many platforms as possible.

The number of huge franchises they aquired is too big to not make in impact once the games start to roll out of it..
There will be a third Wolfenstein and a new Doom game both coming in the next year.

All they need to turn this around is to release a more powerful revision to Series S and the same price and include a major game..
but to pretend it's completely over for them when they now own so much strong content is a bit silly.

Comforting 30 Rock GIF

Sethbacca

I got news for you, Sony needs franchises MS now owns.. you think they won't be willing to do ports too? Any game that requires other players to play needs as much of an audience as they can get and it makes sense for any company to get such games on as many platforms as possible.
Sounds like cope if I'm being honest though. The cost to do a port for such a small install base to a group of gamers who have been conditioned to not buy games is an absolute waste of money. If MS had more market share and hadn't trained their base to not purchase games you'd be right. Sony is definitely going to be doing more PC ports though I don't think it's going to ever get to day and date with the console release.

They are basically selling with the same split as PS4/XBO 🤷‍♂️
Uh, no. It's MUCH worse. PS4, on average, outsold the XBO by a 2.1:1 margin. XSX will be lucky to hit 35M at this rate, which would be 3.4:1. There's a reason they're slowly transitioning to be a third party dev publisher.

The new Doom is not an exclusive. It has been reported to come to PS5 day 1. The same surely with any Wolfenstein game.

JCK75

Sounds like cope if I'm being honest though. The cost to do a port for such a small install base to a group of gamers who have been conditioned to not buy games is an absolute waste of money. If MS had more market share and hadn't trained their base to not purchase games you'd be right. Sony is definitely going to be doing more PC ports though I don't think it's going to ever get to day and date with the console release.

I own every platform there is to own.. there is not reason to cope..
MS just now owns almost every franchise I care about, and I'll be getting them all on PC
but the chances they come to PS5 are not high and there will be anger and online petitions when the new Doom and Wolfenstein games drop.
Or maybe I'm wrong and a port of Sea of Thieves will make PS5 gamers content.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is why you buy also consoles, no reason to get into tribalism, and you get to enjoy all the content on all the consoles.

Sethbacca

I own every platform there is to own.. there is not reason to cope..
MS just now owns almost every franchise I care about, and I'll be getting them all on PC
but the chances they come to PS5 are not high and there will be anger and online petitions when the new Doom and Wolfenstein games drop.
Or maybe I'm wrong and a port of Sea of Thieves will make PS5 gamers content.
I had a series S for part of the generation, but traded it in when Gamestop had a deal that gave me more in trade in value than I paid for it. I've still got a few years of gamepass stacked so I can also play any of this stuff on PC as well. Doom and Wolfenstein are absolutely classic franchises but I don't see them as system sellers or anything people are willing to petition about; but then again I didn't see half of these modern gamer petitions for the most pedantic of shit happening so what do I know. MS have basically obviated any need for an Xbox console as far as I can tell and it has single handedly damaged their entire gaming brand.

Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Then I'm sure you'll have no problem showing me where this was reported.
There has been no official announcement, but reports were from Febuary saying Microsoft "considering" Doom and more titles being multi-platform. Xbox "insiders" like Jez Corden believe it will come out day 1 on PS5

It makes no sense not to release day and date on PS5. Doom is an established franchise with a strong userbase on PS5. It is not a console seller type game either, so no reason it won't be on ps5 . I believe after Indiana Jones, every Bethesda game will be Multi-platform day 1 on PS5

Fron Jez Corden written article today. "Microsoft is pushing for no "red line" for what games could come to PlayStation, and it all revolves around Satya Nadella and CFO Amy Hood's plans to increase every department's margins."

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Yeah, but Xbox One, for all its faults, hasn't had the stench of death around it like Xbox Series does. Ever since Phil Spencer publicly admitted defeat in the console war following the Redfall release debacle, Microsoft has somehow managed to drive away any potential excitement about Xbox for a large chunk of gamers. I can't say I have seen a company that has come across as entirely disinterested in selling its own product than Microsoft and Xbox consoles. As a result, we seem to have fewer people interested in Xbox Series than Xbox One. The sales reflect that.

For that ratio to even get close to accurate, Xbox has to cooperate. You’ve yet to explain how they will make up a 30+ million deficit when they aren’t even selling 1 million a quarter anymore.

It's tracking below Xbox one by millions already and the rate of falling behind is increasing. Ps5 is basically on par with ps4. The ratio will be higher even if we don't factor in pro and gta6 and stuff possibly giving ps5 the strength to move past ps4

The actual stats in this thread put the series at 850K last quarter. Reaching half of your 60 million estimate is ambitious at this point.
I think we’ve had a rocky start of the generation. With a lot of third parties not giving the mass market a reason to transition to the next generation. I think both PS5 and XS will make way better once GTA6 hits the shelves. And Microsoft will have the cheaper console to access that god damned GTA online. I know we wouldn’t consider buy an inferior product but I’m talking the average kid here.

I mean, the Xbox One managed that much and is not precisely MS’s most brilliant idea.
Xbox One also came off of the success of 360. It may have still finished last, but it was a close last. So, Xbox still had a lot of fans at the time. Even the terrible reveal and horrible policies, which many they quickly reversed, couldn't kill it. What really killed the One is that PlayStation was back to firing on all cylinders, having the better HW and games output, while Xbox kind of just gave up midway through the gen, releasing fewer (and mostly mediocre) exclusives.

So, XSX is releasing after a failure, with fewer fans, and the same horrible management and poor games output. They even launched the system without any real big exclusives. Add in their games are now available on PC and GamePass Day 1, with many are now coming to PS5 and Switch, there's just no reason to own an Xbox. Sales are just going to continue to crumble.

I think it is interesting suggestion that Microsoft hit the panic button in Q4... when they've been working on porting games for at least 6 months and probably in negotiations to do so even earlier. They hit the panic button in May of last year if not earlier.

Radical_3d

Xbox One also came off of the success of 360. It may have still finished last, but it was a close last. So, Xbox still had a lot of fans at the time. Even the terrible reveal and horrible policies, which many they quickly reversed, couldn't kill it. What really killed the One is that PlayStation was back to firing on all cylinders, having the better HW and games output, while Xbox kind of just gave up midway through the gen, releasing fewer (and mostly mediocre) exclusives.

So, XSX is releasing after a failure, with fewer fans, and the same horrible management and poor games output. They even launched the system without any real big exclusives. Add in their games are now available on PC and GamePass Day 1, with many are now coming to PS5 and Switch, there's just no reason to own an Xbox. Sales are just going to continue to crumble.
I agree that the output of games has been pathetic. The only game I own in my SX is Elden Ring.

In a growth focused world, how is this good for Sony? They sold less than last gen while their main competition is running on fumes. I.e. they didn't capture any of that market.
What market? There may be 20M-22M XSXs out there, owned by the most hardcore of Xbox fans. We only just now have Xbox's HW demise made concrete, though it will take time to spread everywhere. Many of those diehards are going to be butthurt for awhile, like past Sega fans, blaming Sony and not the mistakes of their own brand for its demise. They aren't buying a PS5 anytime soon. Maybe they'll eventually get over it and buy one. Or maybe they'll just get a PC.

There are also factors, like the pandemic, which caused a chip shortage, inflation, and the price that have affected the PS5's adoption rate. Of course, it's still doing damn good all things considered and will pass 100M and become one of the Top 3 highest selling PlayStations.

In the end, things are looking good for PS and Nintendo. Not so much for Xbox.

It hasn't been about the console for quite some time now. Anyone who denies that are the fanboys. Xbox is now Microsoft Gaming and Gamepass is their flagship darling. However, their endgoal was, and will always be, getting more people into the Microsoft ecosystem. That alone justify their losses.

Xbox, as a brand, only had a realistic chance of being "King" in the console space during the 360 era. Phil Spencer was never a savior to begin with.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think we’ve had a rocky start of the generation. With a lot of third parties not giving the mass market a reason to transition to the next generation. I think both PS5 and XS will make way better once GTA6 hits the shelves. And Microsoft will have the cheaper console to access that god damned GTA online. I know we wouldn’t consider buy an inferior product but I’m talking the average kid here.
GTA will do very little for Xbox, especially with Microsoft putting their games on PlayStation. Besides, even if it did, there will not be a defect clearance of 30million units. May as well not even waste your time expecting it.

Astray

I think it is interesting suggestion that Microsoft hit the panic button in Q4... when they've been working on porting games for at least 6 months and probably in negotiations to do so even earlier. They hit the panic button in May of last year if not earlier.
Which was coincidentally when this infamous interview dropped

Killjoy-NL

Which franchises would that be?

The only one could be COD and that franchise needs Playstation as much as PS needs COD.

Out of the 4 main gaming platforms (PC/Xbox/PS/Nintendo), PS is good for ~33% of revenue for COD.

At least no one can accuse of you being a "glass half empty" person.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

hopes and dreams GIF

That interview is probably the most surreal moment since the PS4 game sharing video.

Just waved the white flag then and there over a completely avoidable bad game launch.

I mean, rarely do people wave the white flag for the first time in public. My point was that they had probably already gotten the mandate to start talking to sony about putting their games on there. Spencer knew damned well Starfield wasn't going to shift the needle and he said it so himself.

My guess is that a poor holiday season the year before was the last straw for Nadella. Xbox had no system seller and that failure was the final straw. You had already seen Microsoft get desperate with restructuring 343i and Bonnie Ross being forced out.

Redfall was just a step too far, but Microsoft had already publicly committed on ABK, now Nadella is out for blood. The relationship between the two can't be positive at this point. You can see it in the e-mails that came out. Things are way worse now than they were when these emails were written. I would love to see the exchanges between them now.

Top Bottom