• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Scalpers are actually doing me a favour tbh

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This reeks of bitterness. There are great games for it. Way better than PS4 and 3 at launch. So what if some of then are crossgen? If you're getting a PS5, games being cross gen is irrelevant, especially if you never had a PS4.

not bitterness m8, maybe a wee bit of FOMO mixed with a liking for new shiney things.. r.e. games, seriously though i'm not dissing what's out for it, I'm just saying they're not my cup of tea.. if it released with say the new GOW, Uncharted or the new Horizon, then id defo be feeling fucking bitter

Hi OP, you’re right. I have a PS5, after scalping 9 of them, and I mostly used it for old games and watching movies. You’re better off waiting for next fall to be honest.

Batiman

Banned
I feel the same way. What a lame gen launch. Was ready to go all in day one with both consoles but nothing is pushing me to even look for them now. Feels like PS4 pro2 or X1X 2. I blame the pandemic. The whole coil whine just makes me want to wait even longer. I can’t deal with that shit

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I mean if you actually had wanted one there was plenty to get when preorders came up. So I'm glad you're fine with waiting. Don't expect any revisions for a while though bud.

tbh pre-order wise i was seriously considering switching back to Xbox due to the big difference in power specs, so i decided to hold off and see what the consoles where like out in the wild and whether or not that power gap would manifest itself in any meaningful way

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I feel the same way. What a lame gen launch. Was ready to go all in day one with both consoles but nothing is pushing me to even look for them now. Feels like PS4 pro2 or X1X 2. I blame the pandemic. The whole coil whine just makes me want to wait even longer. I can’t deal with that shit
glad to hear I'm not the only cunt feeling this way, although i don't think i could hold off that long tbh

I understand your thought process OP, but I do wonder whether we're all gonna be able to get one once the games do come out. Scarcity might go on for the entirety of the year.

i want to murder you, but in a nice way

Honestly, it was the only way my wife would allow me to get one if I didn’t spend any money on it. I’m also using a 9 year old 37 inch tv, so the extra money will pay for that. I have my third kid coming next month and had to buy a minivan. There was no room in the budget for a new console or tv.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Honestly, it was the only way my wife would allow me to get one if I didn’t spend any money on it. I’m also using a 9 year old 37 inch tv, so the extra money will pay for that. I have my third kid coming next month and had to buy a minivan. There was no room in the budget for a new console or tv.
i feel ya, but you're still a cunt ;-) but how in the fuck did you snag so many??

Last edited:
the thing finally not another montage xd GIF

"This scalper doesn't want to show itself...it wants to hide inside an imitation"

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
For me its a cash management issue so this situation is helping a lot.

- I dont really use my consoles a lot as I am a primarily a PC gamer
- I still want a PS5
- They arent available
- Im going to eventually have to shell out 500 as I have PS4 games (discs) i want to also use on my PS5 so I need the physical edition
- So this 500 will either be spent now or later and as I dont have a lot of time to play consoles, im fine with later.

i feel ya, but you're still a cunt ;-) but how in the fuck did you snag so many??

I followed several people on Twitter with notifications turned on and I bought from most stores that I could. I wasn’t always successful. Many of my successes were early in the morning. I lost a lot of sleep in December.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

I wouldn't recommend it either. I should have been more patient. I bought an XSX on Ebay for £650 before christmas. From a big seller and it arrived faulty. Seller didn't respond and had to go through Ebay and despite sending it back tracked delivery and proof of postage, Ebay still haven't refunded me. They keep saying that whilst its approved they need a supervisor to approve the payment itself. They've been saying this for over 3 weeks. So money back guarantee my arse. Never had these issues with Ebay in US despite the virus last year so no idea what I can do. Ebay customer service just keep lying to me. Guess I should chargeback?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it either. I should have been more patient. I bought an XSX on Ebay for £650 before christmas. From a big seller and it arrived faulty. Seller didn't respond and had to go through Ebay and despite sending it back tracked delivery and proof of postage, Ebay still haven't refunded me. They keep saying that whilst its approved they need a supervisor to approve the payment itself. They've been saying this for over 3 weeks. So money back guarantee my arse. Never had these issues with Ebay in US despite the virus last year so no idea what I can do. Ebay customer service just keep lying to me. Guess I should chargeback?

That sucks. All but one of my sales was local through OfferUp. I provided a gift receipt for each person that requested proof of purchase so that they could use it should something go wrong.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's just luck. The drops have way less than people trying to get them. Scalping is useless now though you could still turn maybe 15% profit. The problem was never scalpers, it was and is supply and demand. Scalpers bought a tiny fraction of the millions of systems sold. If it takes 12 hours for a scalped PS5 to sell on ebay at 200 over MSRP + tax, and it takes 12 seconds for PS5s to sell out at retail when there are drops of dozens or hundreds then it tells you that demand tapers off dramatically as the price increases. Its gamers trying to win the game of buying a PS5 at retail driving sales, not people using cheat codes and caving into scalpers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
You probably agreed to no returns when you clicked "buy". If you had a brand new unit, why couldn't you acknowledge that you took the risk and manned up and fixed the issue with MS instead of forcing a return? MS would fix it for you at no cost, instead you incurred quite a big cost on the scalper. How is that ok? Oh because he sold a lot. Sure. If you bought it from a retailer, you probably couldn't exchange it because it would be out of stock and you would still be dealing with MS for a replacement or be looking for another one.

This highlights the risks of scalping. If the item is bad, the customer forces a return, makes the scalper pay shipping even when they agreed not to, and they then have to deal with an item that they have no agreement with the manufacturer to replace like all major retailers do. Buyers can also lie about items being defective and force these returns after they find one at retail. It is not worth taking the risk for 100 bucks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Scalping is useless now though you could still turn maybe 15% profit.

Lol what? Try over 50%, and that's after the average eBay sold price has lowered after the recent restocks. It's absolutely still worth scalping if you're so inclined, not every scalper has a warehouse full, they're just regular people pressing the free money button. Doesn't take long to rewrite a label and go to the post office to make hundreds of pounds per unit.

WakeTheWolf

You probably agreed to no returns when you clicked "buy". If you had a brand new unit, why couldn't you acknowledge that you took the risk and manned up and fixed the issue with MS instead of forcing a return? MS would fix it for you at no cost, instead you incurred quite a big cost on the scalper. How is that ok? Oh because he sold a lot. Sure. If you bought it from a retailer, you probably couldn't exchange it because it would be out of stock and you would still be dealing with MS for a replacement or be looking for another one.

This highlights the risks of scalping. If the item is bad, the customer forces a return, makes the scalper pay shipping even when they agreed not to, and they then have to deal with an item that they have no agreement with the manufacturer to replace like all major retailers do. Buyers can also lie about items being defective and force these returns after they find one at retail. It is not worth taking the risk for 100 bucks.
Nope. Returns accepted and Ebay provided proof of postage. Ebay customer service just keep telling that it will be in within 24 hours and it never is. They also keep blaming technical errors etc. I have an email on the 28th Dec stating that it would not take more than a maximum of 3 days. Still waiting on that.

And I really don't understand this ass kissing for scalpers I keep seeing. I guess the people who defend them are Ebay sellers themselves and loathe buyers obtaining refunds. He sold me a faulty product and I was within my rights to return. He can take it back to the supplier considering they did not give me a receipt either. They will not be losing any money from it. That is the risk you take when you are selling on Ebay. Especially have no sympathy for a seller who would not respond.

And yes risks of scalping is a good thing. Do you want everything handed to you on a plate? You HAVE to take the risk you can't expect the buyer to if it states returns accepted. No matter how hard you want to force that narrative as a scum seller.

Also just lol at 'manned up' and fixed it with MS. To everyone else, this is why you should avoid scalpers this is generally their attitude. Slimy dishonorable people.

Last edited:
Lol what? Try over 50%, and that's after the average eBay sold price has lowered after the recent restocks. It's absolutely still worth scalping if you're so inclined, not every scalper has a warehouse full, they're just regular people pressing the free money button. Doesn't take long to rewrite a label and go to the post office to make hundreds of pounds per unit.

Based on the trending prices of completed sales, I’m seeing profits of between $100-$200 after taxes and fees, more toward the lower end of this range tbh. I think you’re overestimating the profits on these things.

sn0man

Yeah, I got super lucky with a GPU so I'm not in any rush with the PS5.

Might even wait for a slim/pro.

what video card did you end up snagging?
Its helped me avoid buying a 2020 tv. By the time I get a ps5, the 2021 tvs will also be available and they're a little better across the board.

yeah I got a CX in preparation for the PS5. Kinda wish I had waited except it’s been great for the pandemic

Hi OP, you’re right. I have a PS5, after scalping 9 of them, and I mostly used it for old games and watching movies. You’re better off waiting for next fall to be honest.
Damn dude. Read your posts here. I’ll buy you $510 in condoms if you can snag me a PS5

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Based on the trending prices of completed sales, I’m seeing profits of between $100-$200 after taxes and fees, more toward the lower end of this range tbh. I think you’re overestimating the profits on these things.

It's a UK thread, I'm literally looking at eBay right now where dozens of units have sold today for up to £800 or so, although I would say a lot are going for £730. It's a £1 selling fees weekend (only the uninformed / idiotic would sell outside of these) and it would cost around £20 to post. So even at £709, that's still a profit of £260 on a disc drive unit, more than half of what they cost at retail.

The average price is dropping but it's going to take weeks, maybe months before they're not worth scalping. It's some of the easiest money you can possibly make just by having access to a computer and a post office - not that I'm either condoning or condemning it. I don't blame people for pressing the free money button right now.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If I’m not mistaken didn’t Sony invent some sort of impressive console robot factory?

iHaunter

The UK received a load of PS5 stock on Wednesday and within an hour it had all been snapped up and in the hands of a lucky few, but the majority was no doubt snapped up by what we all refer to simply as "cunts", heck snaggin a PS5 has become like hens teeth ffs unless you're one of the mugs prepared to spend over £7-800 off Ebay and lets be honest here those people are also cunts cause they are feeding into this fucking problem which has no end in sight.

The only good sign to take from this, for me personally is that if I could easily snag one online i probably would've bought it and would be simply playing last gen games on it as there's nothing new out that interests me and I'm not liking what I'm reading about coil whine either.

So by the time this shite sorts itself out, we could end up purchasing a hardware revision or a version that has addressed the coil whine and actually has some decent games for it... (yes i know Souls is meant to be insane, but that sorta game is not for me) so take some solace in that, I know I'm trying too!
Do you mean that one guy? All consoles have issues, even revisioned versions. That's not going to change IMHO.

How is it bitter lol? I have a PS5 and XSX. The OP is right, there is literally no rush to go and buy a console except FOMO. There is no patch that elevates any of the games to exceptional

Demon's Souls for me alone was worth it, personally. That and Spider-Man with RT + 60 FPS. A lot of the PS Collection games got patched as well. Days Gone is amazing at 4k/60. But I can understand people not wanting to rush to get it.

Last edited:
It's a UK thread, I'm literally looking at eBay right now where dozens of units have sold today for up to £800 or so, although I would say a lot are going for £730. It's a £1 selling fees weekend (only the uninformed / idiotic would sell outside of these) and it would cost around £20 to post. So even at £709, that's still a profit of £260 on a disc drive unit, more than half of what they cost at retail.

The average price is dropping but it's going to take weeks, maybe months before they're not worth scalping. It's some of the easiest money you can possibly make just by having access to a computer and a post office - not that I'm either condoning or condemning it. I don't blame people for pressing the free money button right now.

Sorry, I didn’t know about the final value fee thing this weekend. That saves a significant amount of fees.

AV

Sorry, I didn’t know about the final value fee thing this weekend. That saves a significant amount of fees.

Yeah, it's a real game change. Once you realise it's a thing that they do all the time, you kick yourself for ever paying more than £1 in seller fees. I think there's still Paypal transaction fees but they're not as harsh. I just sold about £1400 of used goods recently and the eBay fees were £18 rather than £140. Insane.

waquzy

I'll be honest that'll make my year if Sony and Microsoft get loads of stock out leaving these scalpers with a huge financial loss.❤
Huge financial loss? That doesn’t make sense, even if there is loads in stock the scalpers would just sell it at RRP.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Do you mean that one guy? All consoles have issues, even revisioned versions. That's not going to change IMHO.

Demon's Souls for me alone was worth it, personally. That and Spider-Man with RT + 60 FPS. A lot of the PS Collection games got patched as well. Days Gone is amazing at 4k/60. But I can understand people not wanting to rush to get it.

1 guy? I've been reading the coil whine thread and there's quite a number of people with the issue tbf, I get that it's not a widespread issue but fuck me man if you could hear my Pro when I'm gaming you'd be cautious too

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The UK received a load of PS5 stock on Wednesday and within an hour it had all been snapped up and in the hands of a lucky few, but the majority was no doubt snapped up by what we all refer to simply as "cunts", heck snaggin a PS5 has become like hens teeth ffs unless you're one of the mugs prepared to spend over £7-800 off Ebay and lets be honest here those people are also cunts cause they are feeding into this fucking problem which has no end in sight.

The only good sign to take from this, for me personally is that if I could easily snag one online i probably would've bought it and would be simply playing last gen games on it as there's nothing new out that interests me and I'm not liking what I'm reading about coil whine either.

So by the time this shite sorts itself out, we could end up purchasing a hardware revision or a version that has addressed the coil whine and actually has some decent games for it... (yes i know Souls is meant to be insane, but that sorta game is not for me) so take some solace in that, I know I'm trying too!

Interesting thoughts, and i agree that scalpers are the scourge of humanity.

With that said, there are people (like me) who have PS5 units already (got mine in Dec) that work perfectly with no coil whine whatsoever, so while i do agree its an issue, there's still alot of unknowns as to why some units have it and some dont. I've played disk games, digital games, watched movies, and ive had my system for well over a month. I can play Demons Souls for 2-3 hrs and after that my system is still dead silent. If i go close and put my ear to the back at that point after a few hrs of Demons Souls i hear a very slight fan noise, no buzzing.

Tg89

Eh, my PS5 works absolutely fine.

Even if there's not that many new games on it, Demon's Souls and Astro's were both two of the best games of last year. Even playing PS4 games on it is just a much better experience...coming from a base/launch PS4 I can't imagine going back to it at this point, it was underpowered in 2013 let alone in 2020. I have a number of games from the past couple years that I just couldn't be bothered playing on PS4 so I'm catching up on those now. Everything about the experience is superior and the controller isn't made with a small child's hands in mind.

Combine all that with the fact that it's unlikely PS5 receives any sort of price drop in the next couple years (or certainly before there's a "killer app", which I personally already consider DeS to be) and it was really a no brainer for me to get one when I had the chance. I was lucky enough to get one at retail price without much issue though.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
You’re not wrong. I got a PS5 and XSX and am mostly playing last gen games as Demon’s Souls and Bugsnax weren’t my cup of tea and I dropped them.

I mostly was just antsy for new consoles after finally getting a 4K/HDR TV in October. If I had it to do over again I’d probably just have gotten the XSX. It’s gotten most of my time as I hadn’t messed with Xbox/Gamepass for a couple years so I have more to catch up on there.

That said, I’d want a PS5 for the best version of Horizon 2 later this year anyway and it’s not like there will be a price drop and I do use the PS5 to play better running Borderlands 3 with friends etc and enjoyed the better version of Mikes Morales and the Astrobot and Kena in March looks great. So it’s getting and will keep getting some use.

Jtibh

Banned
Thats ok. I can wait. Nothing to play on ps5 anyways and my backlog keeps me busy.
Besides this is why you have a second hobby.

Mine is lego and i just got my second set of the millenium falcon plus i am hunting some sets that retire soon.

Didnt think of ps5 for the last 2 months

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is the best take. Just wait it out, there's nothing that is a console seller yet. The patches are welcome in some games, but things like Legion still look like ass while people argue over quality of RT etc. The 60fps is sweet in Valhalla.
It's exactly what I'm doing as well. Usually I am day 1, but I have no urgency anymore and may just wait it out until there's a revision or the next God of War, whichever comes first.

Most of the system's kinks will be worked out by then, as well as more features added.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Last time I felt the need to buy a new console day 1 was back when the PS3 launched.
I get where your coming from OP

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Few things —

1) It’s unfortunate you couldn’t get a PS5

2) It’s the best launch lineup of games I’ve ever played on a console in my 30+ years of gaming. PS4 launch lineup was atrociously bad, comparatively speaking.

3) Coil wine is a massively exaggerated issue. My PS5 makes a little noise here and there and has quirks but compared to virtually any other console released in the last 20 years it’s almost completely silent and a marked improvement from the terribly engineered thermals of the PS4/Pro models.

iHaunter

How is it bitter lol? I have a PS5 and XSX. The OP is right, there is literally no rush to go and buy a console except FOMO. There is no patch that elevates any of the games to exceptional

1 guy? I've been reading the coil whine thread and there's quite a number of people with the issue tbf, I get that it's not a widespread issue but fuck me man if you could hear my Pro when I'm gaming you'd be cautious too
Still seems to be in the .1%, but I can understand your hesitation.

Few things —

1) It’s unfortunate you couldn’t get a PS5

2) It’s the best launch lineup of games I’ve ever played on a console in my 30+ years of gaming. PS4 launch lineup was atrociously bad, comparatively speaking.

3) Coil wine is a massively exaggerated issue. My PS5 makes a little noise here and there and has quirks but compared to virtually any other console released in the last 20 years it’s almost completely silent and a marked improvement from the terribly engineered thermals of the PS4/Pro models.

As far as the coil whine, I literally have to hold my ear to the PS5 to hear a faint sound like that. As soon as I remove my head from it I can only hear the fan. It’s quieter than my launch PS4, which never had the loud fan issue. I’m the type of person who hears everything, so it’s not like I’m not sensitive to it.

TheContact

in a couple months the consoles should be "sitting on shelves" so to speak. it's still a good time to go through your backlog.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
lol so i caught bestbuy yesterday while it was getting PS5 stock in but.... it has this dumb system now where you have to click add.,.. then wait til they let you actually add it. whne the button truned yellow i quickly hit add and check out. it wouldnt let me! lol
I think this solution is a front end only BS. bots still sucking up orders through the normal means.

Concern

My hope is also to wait for a revision but I doubt we see one in less than 2 or 3 years. I don't think that I could hold out that long lol.

Only game I'm missing out on is DS but Im not in a hurry to play it.

Top Bottom