• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 scalping ring has no regrets, draws huge backlash

Enjay

Banned
I love how literal everyone takes everyone on here. I think there's a disorder for that.

By that logic, you're angry as well for no reason at all (i.e. the go cry a river line was said by you, first). Cool assumption, though. Warped is a bizarre word to use when I'm just chilling and waiting around for Sony to address it. I'm not rioting, crying, or really upset at all. lmao. Get a grip and quit trolling. They're just not doing good by their consumers. Period.
Don't feed trolls, just put them on ignore.

Last edited:

Casanova

Sony will not adress anything and they don't have to. You sound like an entitled brat.

Either shell out the extra bucks and get one from a reseller or wait to pick it up in store. End of story

Lick the boot, lick the boot. Consumers matter. Sony is a dynasty because of their dedicated fanbase of consumers, not because of resellers only looking to make a profit. It's not entitlement, it's facts.

Malakhov

Banned
Lick the boot, lick the boot. Consumers matter. Sony is a dynasty because of their dedicated fanbase of consumers, not because of resellers only looking to make a profit. It's not entitlement, it's facts.
It's entitlement, I'd have to care for the ps5 that much to lick boots but it's going to collect dust for a few months while I play valhalla and cyberpunk with my Rtx 3080, another product that is being scalped. I guess nvidia has to apologise also 😂

Maybe I should scalp my ps5... Hmm

Casanova

It's entitlement, I'd have to care for the ps5 that much to lick boots but it's going to collect dust for a few months while I play valhalla and cyberpunk with my Rtx 3080, another product that is being scalped. I guess nvidia has to apologise also 😂

Maybe I should scalp my ps5... Hmm

Cool, so edgy. "I stand with scalpers" is the same lick-the-boot mentality of "I back the blue". :lollipop_tongue:

Malakhov

Banned
Cool, so edgy. "I stand with scalpers" is the same lick-the-boot mentality of "I back the blue". :lollipop_tongue:
You have a weird fetish with licking boots, pretty disturbing. I back the blue yes, but not that type of blue. I have no console allegiance but keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep better at night while being playstationless

VGEsoterica

At this point in time I feel like the large majority of stock of both PS5 and Series X went to scalpers and not to the general public

dorkimoe

I cant believe people are still complaining about this. In 5 months you will all have one and this wont matter; and you will have missed out on nothing

At this point in time I feel like the large majority of stock of both PS5 and Series X went to scalpers and not to the general public

Nah that's bullshit.

Most people who remotely gave a fuck could get one in the uk. I personally got three very easily (one went on ebay for £750). A friend of mine got one on launch day from a retailer when they went up for orders at 6am. If you made the effort - you got one.

The people whining are lazy or parents who didnt pay attention and for some reason think their kid needs a ps5 for xmas. If the kid cared enough they would have sat and preordered when they went up. If they didn't they are too young to care and can fuck off. I was 14 when PS3 preorders came up and made damn sure to get my preorder in on time and had money saved WELL in advance.

People whining are fucking entitled. Just wait.

There are a bunch of cunts on ebay posting sob stories trying to raise money for PS5s because they are hard done by. Fuck me people are pathetic. All this attention does is make more people scalp in future.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nah that's bullshit.

Most people who remotely gave a fuck could get one in the uk. I personally got three very easily (one went on ebay for £750). A friend of mine got one on launch day from a retailer when they went up for orders at 6am. If you made the effort - you got one.

The people whining are lazy or parents who didnt pay attention and for some reason think their kid needs a ps5 for xmas. If the kid cared enough they would have sat and preordered when they went up. If they didn't they are too young to care and can fuck off. I was 14 when PS3 preorders came up and made damn sure to get my preorder in on time and had money saved WELL in advance.

People whining are fucking entitled. Just wait.

There are a bunch of cunts on ebay posting sob stories trying to raise money for PS5s because they are hard done by. Fuck me people are pathetic. All this attention does is make more people scalp in future.
Yup. Early bird gets the worm.

It's like concerts. Tickets go on sales at 9 or 10 am. By the afternoon, you're lucky if there's some shitty Level 500 nosebleed seats left. Or perhaps some good single seats scattered around the arena so you got to sit by yourself.

"Awwww man. Not fair. I'm working all day. They should reserve batches of good seats so I can buy them after dinner"

Last edited:
Yup. Early bird gets the worm.

It's like concerts. Tickets go on sales at 9 or 10 am. By the afternoon, you're lucky if there's some shitty Level 500 nosebleed seats left. Or perhaps some got single seats scattered around the arena so you got to sit by yourself.

"Awwww man. Not fair. I'm working all day. They should reserve batches of good seats so I buy them after dinner"

I will never comprehend the mentality of not being there on the dot to get something and then whining you didn't get it lol.

I know for a fact in the UK during the initial wave of ps5 preorders that went up at 9am, you could preorder at 9:25 and still got a launch console. I know this because I text my mate while he was at work and he logged in and bagged one. It really wasn't hard.

Last edited:
They are schoolboys compared to the likes of Activison and Ubisoft so... *shrugs*

If when 'gamer girls' sell tub water we cheer 'more power to them'.....

oagboghi2

These people aren’t producing anything though. They are inserting themselves between a product and customer to make a buck. There’s nothing to be commended there. In fact, if people like them didn’t exist, the world would be improved.
So in your perfect world you would exterminate all grocery and retail stores

Umbral

So in your perfect world you would exterminate all grocery and retail stores
Grocery and retail stores distribute things to people in areas where the manufacturer can’t or won’t. That’s what they’re providing.

Someone who inserts themselves between a purchaser and a retailer are an unnecessary extra middleman trying to scrape some profit off of other people’s hard work while providing nothing of substance.

This confuses me a bit though. Don't electronic devices lose money on hardware? Scalpers don't usually buy software so it would seem like a loss to sell just the consoles.
I think you are mixing up something. The console manufacturer looses money at the launch and make their money via software sales. The retailer would not distribute it, if they would loose money, they buy the devices from the console manufacturer at a lower cost than the actual retail price. So when making calculations how much money Sony looses on each console, you cannot calculate with the retail price, because Sony will get less than that, when selling via retail.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I took a quick look at eBay and it looks like XSX and PS5s are selling for $600-$800 (don't look at inflated BINs), is it possible that post-Christmas, the scalping gold rush is over?

I know I just gave up looking, I don't care anymore, I'll get a PS5 when it is in stock.

GPUs are as expensive as ever though, actually maybe more expensive, 3080s for $1200+.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I took a quick look at eBay and it looks like XSX and PS5s are selling for $600-$800 (don't look at inflated BINs), is it possible that post-Christmas, the scalping gold rush is over?

I know I just gave up looking, I don't care anymore, I'll get a PS5 when it is in stock.

GPUs are as expensive as ever though, actually maybe more expensive, 3080s for $1200+.
Yanks get GPU tariffs as a New Year's Gift from Orange Man. That's why they've gone up suddenly.

Fredrik

The PS5 scenario is bonkers, I honestly don’t know a single person that have one and I’ve not for a second seen it available in a store. Worst console launch I’ve ever experienced, if I actually have experienced it, not quite sure, like someone said it’s like an urban myth in some countries.

And I’ve essentially given up, my current plan is to wait for a revision with bigger SSD instead, I already deal with storage issues on XSX with 1TB extra on the expansion card so I can’t see PS5’s tiny SSD work for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yanks get GPU tariffs as a New Year's Gift from Orange Man. That's why they've gone up suddenly.

That has nothing to do with second hand scalped prices, although I know MSRP is going up for some brands.

The prices have been $1000-$1200 for a 3080 for a while, it’s just ridiculous. It is like $850 for a damn 2080TI.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The PS5 scenario is bonkers, I honestly don’t know a single person that have one and I’ve not for a second seen it available in a store. Worst console launch I’ve ever experienced, if I actually have experienced it, not quite sure, like someone said it’s like an urban myth in some countries.

And I’ve essentially given up, my current plan is to wait for a revision with bigger SSD instead, I already deal with storage issues on XSX with 1TB extra on the expansion card so I can’t see PS5’s tiny SSD work for me.

It is horrible, but if you really must have one for some reason, $700-$800 for a scalped unit in your hands by the end of the week is... doable, if you have the money. They were going for $950+ 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It is horrible, but if you really must have one for some reason, $700-$800 for a scalped unit in your hands by the end of the week is... doable, if you have the money. They were going for $950+ 2 weeks ago.
Yeah. $700 is not bad at all. Stockx has them and it’s a safer bet than ebay

TriSuit666

Banned
That has nothing to do with second hand scalped prices, although I know MSRP is going up for some brands.

The prices have been $1000-$1200 for a 3080 for a while, it’s just ridiculous. It is like $850 for a damn 2080TI.
It's affecting the second hand market as well. Apparently even crappy low-end cards from 2017 are selling above msrp, and even then are also out of stock.

NickFire

Don't feed the scumbags. They will be obtainable soon enough. They'll stay hard to come by for a little while but without the Xmas rush the scalpers' margins will keep dropping until they start contemplating losses. Let the units they bought to screw over someone else rot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't feed the scumbags. They will be obtainable soon enough. They'll stay hard to come by for a little while but without the Xmas rush the scalpers' margins will keep dropping until they start contemplating losses. Let the units they bought to screw over someone else rot.
I’m not buying one. Just saying that maybe demand has started to clear. Also if scalped units aren’t making money (a perso selling a $750 console on eBay is making maybe $100-$150 after fees and shipping, not much) means that they won’t be running bots to snatch up all the stock anymore.

420bits

Scalping is a shitty move, i agree 100%. But i don't see it as a problem because the amount of units as a whole who got scalped is probably less than broken "day 1 units".
All stores of you who didnt get a ps5 at launch are all anecdotal from your view, just as my view is skewed because I didn't have a problem ordering mine.

I didn't preorder, I was 100% sure i could just walk into a store and buy one day 1, I did it with the ps4 and the ps4pro without any worries. Sure, we had the pandemic and all that but i did not think they would actually shut the door.

1 month or so before launch Sony went "oh btw, Ps5 won't be sold in a store, only online" and for a week or so I didn't think much of it "ofc they are gonna have shelf units". This only applies the US etc.
Days went by, I talked to some friends who works in the industry (retail) and they said "yeah, we are not getting anything to the stores".

So i have to admit, there was a slight panic brewing but I thought that hey, out of the 20 or so retailers in Sweden that could possibly get a ps5, less than a handful had their pre-orders up, the rest of them didn't offer you a chance to preorder.

So i still had like 15 stores that would for sure get units so I did what I could do.

I knew the time for when the pre-order would start (since they all posted about it), add a bit of logic to that, adjust for timezone-shenanigans and at 23:00 local time, amazon.se ps5-preorder went live and i snagged one.

And to be sure I would get one for launch, I safed up and ordered from 6 other stores "just to be sure" over the next 2-3 days.

Amazon delivered it on time.
"Elgiganten" sent me an email saying "hey, you might not get one this run, but if you don't you will get one for xmas for sure". I got that one like a week after release.
After I've gotten my 2nd one i cancelled all other orders but im pretty sure that if i wouldn't have I would have gotten them all before Xmas.

Or so I thought, "CDON" sent me an email saying that they are all out and if i was lucky i would get it early 2021, so i emailed them and said "oh, you can cancel this one, I don't' need it".
The day after, they still delivered it and I got my third ps5.

I've sold them all for retail price + shipping to some guys at work, cba to make a few lousy bucks dealing with fucktards trying to buy one.
IS IT STILL AVAILABLE? YOU GET XXX FOR IT INSTEAD OF YYY LIKE YOU ASKED FORE, CAN I TRY IT BEFORE? COULD YOU COME TO MY HOUSE AND DELIVER IT? ETC. ETC.

The only friend that didn't get one (and still hasn't) is the one who didn't put in the time.
Instead of being awake for 2-3 hours longer than normal and checking forums, twitter from retailers and refreshing webpages on "launch night" he decided to go to sleep and the next morning he slept in. I sent him my links with ps5s in stock to him and went to bed.

In the morning everything was out of stock so he didnt get one.

I'm sure there are tens of thousands who went "my route" and either got one or didn't, but in no way do I assume that just because you didn't get one, it went to a scalper because chances are, it went to someone else who wanted it for day 1 and not that guy who posted a pic on the internet on how he managed to scalp 5 PS5s.

So in short, scalping sucks but its a 99.99% chance that it didn't have anything to do with you NOT being able to get one day 1.

I’m not buying one. Just saying that maybe demand has started to clear. Also if scalped units aren’t making money (a perso selling a $750 console on eBay is making maybe $100-$150 after fees and shipping, not much) means that they won’t be running bots to snatch up all the stock anymore.

I kept an eye on it and I think it may have peaked a week or so after Black Friday, so beginning of December. Not sure if more stock started coming out, or the # of people willing to pay $1000 for a console was exhausted, but people were dropping prices pretty quickly, right up till Christmas.

I kind of figured there would be a last minute bump as people wanted it right before Christmas, but I think everyone had made up their mind by then.

Top Bottom