• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 scalping ring has no regrets, draws huge backlash

These people aren’t producing anything though. They are inserting themselves between a product and customer to make a buck. There’s nothing to be commended there. In fact, if people like them didn’t exist, the world would be improved.

So you want to exterminate people that buy in bulk and resell products?

I hope you don't visit a Costco anytime soon... yikes.

Casanova

Legal, questionably unethical, horrible for consumers. Until Sony gets their shit together and does something about this and/or acknowledge with some sort of apology to their fans, I will probably be sticking with PC.

Malakhov

Banned
Legal, questionably unethical, horrible for consumers. Until Sony gets their shit together and does something about this and/or acknowledge with some sort of apology to their fans, I will probably be sticking with PC.
So hasbro should do something about people scalping toys? Issue apologies? Nike with shoes? Nvidia with Rtx 3000? And I can go on and on

The fuck you can hear these days

Hope you didn't get an Rtx 3080 or 6800xt since that would make you one hell of an hypocrite, cause you know, sticking with pc 😂

Last edited:

Casanova

So hasbro should do something about people scalping toys? Issue apologies? Nike with shoes? Nvidia with Rtx 3000? And I can go on and on

The fuck you can hear these days

Hope you didn't get an Rtx 3080 or 6800xt since that would make you one hell of an hypocrite, cause you know, sticking with pc 😂

Yeah, I didn't. I don't really get your point. As a consumer, I'm pissed. I don't expect to hear an apology, but my personal stance is that I won't be trying to purchase one until then or until they get their shit together. Saying it's the "best console launch ever" is complete bullshit for the consumer. Period. The companies that do give a shit about their consumers and do something to prevent this from happening will benefit from it - but hey, keep being a bootlicker to them because "capitalism doesn't care about your feelings".

Umbral

Calm down with the melodrama.

Costco doesn’t price gouge.

Nah, healthcare worker, I think his work is enough for society, it's just a sweet little bonus for him
By contributing nothing in regards to the PS5 itself. He’s a rent-seeker.

NT80

The fault is with the people dumb enough to buy from the scalpers. They wait a bit then buy a PS5 when it's restocked for less than half the price they would've done. It's not as if there's anything really compelling to play that's exclusive to PS5 right now. The scalpers would get left high and dry and this practice dies down in the future. I'm not sure what Sony are able to do about it.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned

Yeah, it's exactly the same thing, buying bulk quantities from distributor and using questionable ways to buy stuff at msrp and resell tax free on gray market...

Cretin. Yikes.

kiphalfton

Yeah, kind of nuts what some people are talking about in here.

Folks; this is capitalism. If you don't like it - petition Walmart to add a CAPTCHA system or any other online vendor; that would almost immediately kill the script kiddies buying up stuff before the website refreshes.

If you REALLY don't like it, then move to a Communist country and wait for mother government to give you one.

I think it's a good litmus test, to show you who is and isn't a rationale/level headed person. Is it annoying there's no stock to buy? Definitely. However, it's not that big of a deal and not worth getting all worked up over it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
System in tight supply due to scalper? Who cares. Wait till next year.

I guess it seems the people who don't like it have never been to a sports event or concert where if you don't try to buy tickets online on opening ticket day at 9 am on ticketmaster, it's sold out by 10 am. The season is then sold out and the next best thing for the singer is to try buying tickets for their next concert two hours away in a different city when those tickets go up for sale.

Then you either got to get scalped tickets or know a friend who might get you tickets from work (for a random game you don't even care about).

Gaming isn't going away eager beavers. Xbox Series X and PS5 will be around for another 6-7 years.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah, I didn't. I don't really get your point. As a consumer, I'm pissed. I don't expect to hear an apology, but my personal stance is that I won't be trying to purchase one until then or until they get their shit together. Saying it's the "best console launch ever" is complete bullshit for the consumer. Period. The companies that do give a shit about their consumers and do something to prevent this from happening will benefit from it - but hey, keep being a bootlicker to them because "capitalism doesn't care about your feelings".

The point is your post made no sense at all, going on a rant about how sony needs to apologise, blah blah blah. This is nothing new and no one cares besides individuals who are bitter about it. The company sells theirs products, they don't care whoever gets it as long as it's no longer on the shelves and they don't owe anything to anyone. Go cry a river

Calm down with the melodrama.

Costco doesn’t price gouge.

By contributing nothing in regards to the PS5 itself. He’s a rent-seeker.
Ain't renting with all the money he made from it 💪

Casanova

The point is your post made no sense at all, going on a rant about how sony needs to apologise, blah blah blah. This is nothing new and no one cares besides individuals who are bitter about it. The company sells theirs products, they don't care whoever gets it as long as it's no longer on the shelves and they don't owe anything to anyone. Go cry a river

It does make sense. Might not make sense to you, but you have your opinions clearly. It makes complete sense to me as a consumer to not purchase a product from a company who I feel isn't doing good by it's consumers. A lot of folks care, clearly - regardless of bitterness. It's just your shitty opinion that no one cares but that doesn't make it true. Also, of course they don't "owe" anyone anything, but that's not the point I was trying to make. Learn to read. Go lick a corporate boot.

Last edited:

I guess it seems the people who don't like it have never been to a sports event or concert where if you don't try to buy tickets online on opening ticket day at 9 am on ticketmaster, it's sold out by 10 am. The season is then sold out and the next best thing for the singer is to try buying tickets for their next concert two hours away in a different city when those tickets go up for sale.

Then you either got to get scalped tickets or know a friend who might get you tickets from work (for a random game you don't even care about).

Gaming isn't going away eager beavers. Xbox Series X and PS5 will be around for another 6-7 years.

I love the analogy because its dead-on. I guess a lot of these folks haven't been to concerts, lol. I remember debating pulling the trigger on $500 for a pair of Tool tickets and someone else got em before I did.

People should be angry at capitalism (IE there's no one to be mad at except the vendors for not using CAPTCHA or other script prevention measures). Vote with your wallet, if it matters that much.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love the analogy because its dead-on. I guess a lot of these folks haven't been to concerts, lol. I remember debating pulling the trigger on $500 for a pair of Tool tickets and someone else got em before I did.

People should be angry at capitalism (IE there's no one to be mad at except the vendors for not using CAPTCHA or other script prevention measures). Vote with your wallet, if it matters that much.
Totally.

I guess no gamers live in a city where the entire season's worth of tickets are sold out in about half an hour - Toronto Maple Leafs.

The arena holds around 19,000 seats for hockey, and 15,000 of the seats are held by season ticket holding individuals and corporations. So you only got 4,000 seats per game for the general public to fight over.

30 minutes later, it's done for the year. As Leaf fans say, always next year. Then you try again refreshing ticketmaster next year hoping the portal lets you in.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

There were lots of bulk scalpers. The ones that probably did the most damage were the smaller ones collectively.

If its not obvious everyone and their brother had this idea. Get one, sell two. Free PS5 and extra money. I know some people here that own one, have already sold one or more, and are looking for more right now.

Couple all that with the scalping drawing even more scalpers in and I see it being a problem for quite a while TBH.

I tried getting one but don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it. Stock trackers went off while I was working or doing something with family, etc. Some people stayed up all night and dedicated days to getting them, and will again.

I will be looking again January or February and this shit will probably still be going on.

Malakhov

Banned
It does make sense. Might not make sense to you, but you have your opinions clearly. It makes complete sense to me as a consumer to not purchase a product from a company who I feel isn't doing good by it's consumers. A lot of folks care, clearly - regardless of bitterness. It's just your shitty opinion that no one cares but that doesn't make it true. Also, of course they don't "owe" anyone anything, but that's not the point I was trying to make. Learn to read. Go lick a corporate boot.
Nah, obviously no bitterness, it's so clear. You totally make sense, sure, not totally warped by anger, like, at all 😂

Last edited:

Umbral

I think you assume I’m against profit. I’m not. I’m against parasites.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I agree with this, although I think events isn't a good example. For events you might not have another opportunity even if you wait, whereas you can always wait for restocks of the PS5 even if takes months. I missed out on purchasing the RTX3080 months ago and the situation has yet to improve, so I am going to wait things out and buy it few months later. They ain't going away, relax.

I am also salty, since I couldn't get one and still searching for one. I live in Japan and unfortunately (for me) Sony targets the bigger markets of America and Europe now, so they only allocated a lower number of units to Japan.

And while I hate these scalpers, I am more angry at the distributors which made it possible for them to get so many consoles. Let's take Amazon, would it have been so hard to implement a captcha to prevent bots to buy the console or to restrict the number of units to 1 per customer from the start? But these are retailers and the sad fact is that they don't care as long as they make their money.

Still Amazon here gets stock from time to time, but it is nearly impossible to come through to make your order, due to all the bots making the orders.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This confuses me a bit though. Don't electronic devices lose money on hardware? Scalpers don't usually buy software so it would seem like a loss to sell just the consoles.
It don't matter. SOMEONE will buy software who buys that scalped ps5

Zog

Banned
This confuses me a bit though. Don't electronic devices lose money on hardware? Scalpers don't usually buy software so it would seem like a loss to sell just the consoles.
This isn't the place for logic.

<mumble> <mumble> capitalism <mumble> entitled consumer <mumble> <mumble>

TalentedMrJ

I've been around since the NES and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth the way things are being handled by all parties

Am I salty? Sure

But I know damn well had I got one I'd be hyped for a few days and by January it'd lose it's luster and be a dust collector like all that came before it

A good way to practice patience

I'd love for these shit bags to be stuck with them and unable to return or resell

lefty1117

Gold Member
Scalpers will scalp, but again when they are obtaining through unfair advantage and effectively locking people out so they have to go to them, that is wrong. That's the scenario that these bots are creating. Level the playing field.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Scalpers making big coin dumping next gen consoles for double or triple the price, that's supply and demand for ya.

And marketing too.

The reason why so many people want it so bad is because they need to be the first to play their shiny piece of plastic (which is 95% cross gen games), or be in the mindset it's a holiday gift, so nothing says Christmas than a new toy.

I totally get it. For many people, there's a big difference between loading up on new console gear before Christmas than waiting to buy it in April when the only thing going around is chocolate easter eggs.

But hey, it's your money. Have fun taking a risk on scalpers where you're not even going to get a warranty receipt in case the system bricks.

I don't agree. How can the PS5 be in tight supply because of the scalpers? What? so they bought millions of it? Of course not. This scalper ring is bragging about buying 3,500 PS5s, 3,500. That's less than 0.1% of the total produced units. This has nothing to do with the scalpers, it's Sony's fault, they underproduced and under delivered. Why? I don't know, maybe they wanted to create a virtual demand for the product or maybe they thought it wouldn't sell well because of the massive lackluster launch lineup. I mean, they might have a point there, how could someone expect to sell a lot if they only have 1 exclusive game and it's a remaster of a PS3 game?

Anyway, this is Sony's fault, not the scalpers. But now that the PS5 has launched we'll see a lot more availability because there's no more guess work, retailers now have real numbers as well as Sony, so they know they have to produce more. It's not like the production line stopped until next year, neither Sony nor retailers are backordering, so we will have more drops in the coming weeks and everyone who wants one will be able to buy it.

Casanova

Nah, obviously no bitterness, it's so clear. You totally make sense, sure, not totally warped by anger, like, at all 😂

By that logic, you're angry as well for no reason at all (i.e. the go cry a river line was said by you, first). Cool assumption, though. Warped is a bizarre word to use when I'm just chilling and waiting around for Sony to address it. I'm not rioting, crying, or really upset at all. lmao. Get a grip and quit trolling. They're just not doing good by their consumers. Period.

Malakhov

Banned
By that logic, you're angry as well for no reason at all (i.e. the go cry a river line was said by you, first). Cool assumption, though. Warped is a bizarre word to use when I'm just chilling and waiting around for Sony to address it. I'm not rioting, crying, or really upset at all. lmao. Get a grip and quit trolling. They're just not doing good by their consumers. Period.
Sony will not adress anything and they don't have to. You sound like an entitled brat.

Either shell out the extra bucks and get one from a reseller or wait to pick it up in store. End of story

Last edited:

Bridges

What is the point of those obnoxious "Are You A Robot?" captchas that make me find the pictures of crosswalks for half an hour before logging in if they don't stop stuff like this?

devilNprada

Scalpers will scalp, but again when they are obtaining through unfair advantage and effectively locking people out so they have to go to them, that is wrong. That's the scenario that these bots are creating. Level the playing field.

Yeah It's the shoe fuckers who do it year round... Console purchasers were at a disadvantage...

I hope they get caught not paying the tax, and then it goes back through all the shoes they didn't pay tax on either...

Top Bottom