• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 scalping ring has no regrets, draws huge backlash

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
no+ragrets.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't agree with what they are doing but they saw a chance to make money and good on them i guess. that's the world we live in.

honestly these scalper posts just sounds like they're made by kids upset they can't play some video games. you'll get your consoles eventually. it's not the end of the world.

Zog

Banned
Yes. But how about having self control and let them rot with lots of units in their basements until they have to sell them all for the MSRP price to recover the money?
How about the scalpers not buy up alot of the stock so that non scalping consumers CAN buy them at MSRP? Why is the non scalping consumer to blame?

Zog

Banned
honestly these scalper posts just sounds like they're made by kids upset they can't play some video games. you'll get your consoles eventually. it's not the end of the world.
Let me get this straight, the non scalping consumer is always wrong. If they buy from a scalper, they are the problem but also if they don't approve of scalping they are also the problem. Is there any scenario where the scalpers are wrong?

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
How about the scalpers not buy up alot of the stock so that non scalping consumers CAN buy them at MSRP? Why is the non scalping consumer to blame?

It's fair game. I mean, they took advantage of the system but anyone could become a scalper as well. It's not like they are robbing the consoles at gun point.

Also, you know that won't ever happen. Right?

Consumers with brains will just wait and snag one at the right price. I don't have sympathy for scalpers (nor for morons who buy from them).

V4skunk

Banned
4chan acts that is why.
But yeah its the guy who had a stack of like 40 PS5's and bragging about it! His photo of his PS5's have been posted here multiple times!
But yeah he Tweeted about something and accidently Tweeted his location.
It didn't end well and he even deleted his Twitter account.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
4chan acts that is why.
But yeah its the guy who had a stack of like 40 PS5's and bragging about it! His photo of his PS5's have been posted here multiple times!
But yeah he Tweeted about something and accidently Tweeted his location.
It didn't end well and he even deleted his Twitter account.

All his shit talking had karmic repercussions, eh?

The universe always seems to find a why. You attract how you act.

KemoSabe

I won't watch the video since these fucks don't deserve views for it.
But how did the managed to get these ridiculous numbers?
Are the using some kind of bots for purchase?

sendit

Scalpers are their consumers technically speaking. I mean, all those units will look so nice in all the upcoming list/sales wars, no?

Ultimately no. They’re/Sony/Microsoft are making pennies off consoles sold if not selling at a loss.

- A scalper isn’t going to buy games.
- A scalper isn’t going to subscribe to PS Plus/Gamepass/Xbox Gold
- A scalper isn’t going to buy overpriced accessories.
a
- A scalper isn’t going to buy DLC

xacto

It's a "ring" so multiple people... But let's follow your logic and assume there are other rings as well. What would make then? 0.2%? 0.3%?

As much as I like your paranoid thinking, "scalper" isn't the most common profession in the world...

Talking percentages, yes, it seems the problem isn't there. Talking real numbers, at least those 3,500 snagged consoles obtained by just ONE group, that means 3,500 less people NOT getting the console.

Does it seem that 3,500 is a small number? Well, if it is, and you're trying to justify this as being a "small percentage" then I guess scalping is nice and people shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Ultimately no. They’re/Sony/Microsoft are making pennies off consoles sold if not selling at a loss.

- A scalper isn’t going to buy games.
- A scalper isn’t going to subscribe to PS Plus/Gamepass/Xbox Gold
- A scalper isn’t going to buy overpriced accessories.
a
- A scalper isn’t going to buy DLC
The people that buy the machines from them will, so it doesn't matter.

OrtizTwelve

If there weren’t morons paying several times above market price for a video game console there wouldn’t be scalpers.

And I’ve noticed a lot of these morons paying for these scalped consoles are the same unintelligible baffoons that are involved with “sneaker culture” or the idiots that buy into the whole Supreme brand nonsense. There’s a connection.

Last edited:
So you do think people should buy from scalpers in order to support software and accessory sales?
I'm saying it doesn't matter as they will be buying them anyways. No one is scalping games, I guess some accessories are but again if a scalper buys it and sells it, it is still one sale.

Zog

Banned
I'm saying it doesn't matter as they will be buying them anyways. No one is scalping games, I guess some accessories are but again if a scalper buys it and sells it, it is still one sale.

Imagine this if there were no scalpers, would people still be buying PS5's, software and accessories and would it be easier for them to do so?

Last edited:
I mean, why would they have regrets? They're the type to take advantage of a shitty situation, so the only way they'd have regrets is if they ended up losing money.

Umbral

Retailers can mitigate this, but they have to invest in technology. To most of them, they made a sale regardless, so they don’t care.

Don’t buy from scalpers and leave them up shit creek when they can’t move them and the return window has passed. There are retailers that also simply won’t return something from a known scalper. Those are the best, to see the look on their face when they are told they’re stuck with something.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I feel bad for any gamer that’s wanting one and didnt get it. But we’re talking about 1%-2% or so of stock. From Sonys standpoint, this has to be great. They’ll be selling and getting retailer orders on consoles into the summer off of this. Then holiday 2021 sells itself. Great position with all the hype and media coverage.

Reficul

I would love a PS5, but I'm quite fond of my money too. I could stretch to pay ~50% above market price but I will never pay more than that.
I'm not desperate. Stores will have them eventually.

lifa-cobex

Stop justifying scalpers by buying their second hand products.
That way they would be stuck with a loads of PS5's that they can't shift.

A: They would have to sell off at a cheaper or same price in order to get rid of them.
B: Would be far less inclined to do it again.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Second thread in 2 days claiming "bots" yet this is primarily people doing it manually. They are better than you at the "buy shit" game. Git Gud and stop whining.

Gamerguy84

You can kind of tell who has at least one up on EBAY. The scalper defense is strong here but not as much on other boards.

Blaming of the people who can't wait and has money to burn is incredible.

Although on r/hardware the general consensus seems to be all the highest bidders "value" the cards more and should get the product first. The peasants can go last. This hobby brings out the beta in people.

lock2k

Banned
You can kind of tell who has at least one up on EBAY. The scalper defense is strong here but not as much on other boards.

Blaming of the people who can't wait and has money to burn is incredible.

Although on r/hardware the general consensus seems to be all the highest bidders "value" the cards more and should get the product first. The peasants can go last. This hobby brings out the beta in people.

No, they're fucking dumb. That's all. They are enablers. Learn to wait and starve the fucking scalpers.

Top Bottom