• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Settings Question...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, so something weird keeps happening and i can't figure out why. I'm assuming it's a PS5 setting someplace doing this.

Is there a setting someplace where if i'm in a game, and i put the game on pause and walk away for an hr or two hrs, the PS5 will automatically on its own go back out to the PS5 menu instead of staying in the game?

This keeps happening and i can't figure out why.....???

Nankatsu

To the menu? Well that's a first, never heard of that.

I thought you were gonna say into rest mode, which of course has an option, but to the menu...that never happened to me, and I've never seen an option for that.

Last edited:

wvnative

Im positive, i have the controller well out of reach

There is no setting for this. It may be a built in function that cannot be disabled. Most of us don't leave our paused game unattended for that long.

I've left games paused for up to 30 minutes before, and still on the game screen when I get back. The only idle settings are for power off and screensavor.

Croga

I've accidentally left my PS5 on overnight a few times while a game is paused (fell asleep on the couch and forgot about it lol) and even if the TV goes to standby mode, when I power the TV back on, the PS5 is exactly how I left it (minus the controller being disconnected from being idle so long)

I've never seen it go back to the Main Menu on it's own before, that's not any setting I've seen as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, that shouldn't be a thing. Possibly your TV or some other device is doing some CEC shenanigans (like sending a "Home" command) for some reason?

Nankatsu

Try to disable the power on /off options in case you have your PS5 to act as a sync media device with your TV.

Example: In my setup, if I turn the PS5 on, TV goes on. If I turn TV off, PS5 goes into stand by mode.

But even with that setting on, I don't get any type of the behavior you're experiencing.

Last edited:

Bojji

Never had that and I had games left for hours sometimes. Try disabling HDMI CEC and power saving options.

I always turn my controller off if I'm walking away for more than a few minutes. If I'm going to walk away from the Playstation for more than 5 minutes, I would put it to sleep. Why leave it on for 2-3 hours at a time? You said this "keeps on happening".

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Oscar Ruby GIF by Rooster Teeth

lol ok, since you all want to know....ive been playing The Stanley Parable: Ultra Edition on PS5. Fantastic game, btw but some of the worse trophies ever designed!!! For one of them, the trophy is called Commitment. You have to play the game for a full 24 hrs on a Tuesday. Yes, really. I'd love to kick the person in the sack who thought this one was a good idea. This one is the last one i need for the platinum.

Anyways, there were ways that people were saying they could do it faster, and one of them was to manually set the date and time on your PS5 to 11:55pm on a Monday, then disable the internet on your PS5 so it wouldn't auto reset the clock, start the game, and then just let it sit on the pause screen for a day. You cant use suspend mode, or leave the game running in the PS5 menu, that stops the timer.

What i didn't realize was, and i only saw this on accident when i was checking on the game to see if it went back to the PS5 menu again on its own, was that if you disable the internet and are in a game, the system will Suspend the game and send you back to the PS5 menu if it can't verify the license...ie.....if you legitimately own the digital game. I was checking the game and by luck, the notification popped in the upper right saying something to the effect of "Unable to verify license, suspending the game in 15 minutes". So all the other times i missed that notification and didn't realize what was happening.

So this coming Monday eve at 11:55pm im going to start the game and do the same thing and let it sit and i'm sure ill be fine.

Moral of the story......i'm a trophy whore and i tried to beat the system and i was owned repeatedly lol

Kuranghi

lol ok, since you all want to know....ive been playing The Stanley Parable: Ultra Edition on PS5. Fantastic game, btw but some of the worse trophies ever designed!!! For one of them, the trophy is called Commitment. You have to play the game for a full 24 hrs on a Tuesday. Yes, really. I'd love to kick the person in the sack who thought this one was a good idea. This one is the last one i need for the platinum.

Anyways, there were ways that people were saying they could do it faster, and one of them was to manually set the date and time on your PS5 to 11:55pm on a Monday, then disable the internet on your PS5 so it wouldn't auto reset the clock, start the game, and then just let it sit on the pause screen for a day. You cant use suspend mode, or leave the game running in the PS5 menu, that stops the timer.

What i didn't realize was, and i only saw this on accident when i was checking on the game to see if it went back to the PS5 menu again on its own, was that if you disable the internet and are in a game, the system will Suspend the game and send you back to the PS5 menu if it can't verify the license...ie.....if you legitimately own the digital game. I was checking the game and by luck, the notification popped in the upper right saying something to the effect of "Unable to verify license, suspending the game in 15 minutes". So all the other times i missed that notification and didn't realize what was happening.

So this coming Monday eve at 11:55pm im going to start the game and do the same thing and let it sit and i'm sure ill be fine.

Moral of the story......i'm a trophy whore and i tried to beat the system and i was owned repeatedly lol

Well you've fixed it now so thats the main thing.

Good luck in your future trophy collecting you filthy harlot.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why leave the console on for hours unattended? A. Your going to run the risk of ending up with a hair dryer. B. You’re killing the planet dude. C. Jet plane.

Kuranghi

Why leave the console on for hours unattended? A. Your going to run the risk of ending up with a hair dryer. B. You’re killing the planet dude. C. Jet plane.

Holy shit you've just reminded me I need a new hair dryer, thanks pal!

Three

You think that is bad? Isn't there one in that game where you have to not play the game for 1 yr or 5 yrs or something like that?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You think that is bad? Isn't there one in that game where you have to not play the game for 1 yr or 5 yrs or something like that?

lol 10 yrs :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: But that one is easily worked around. For that one you just set your PS5 to 10 yrs ahead, launch the game and then it pops lol.....they knew everyone would do that, the narrator even jokes about it when you get the trophy

Shmunter

Got a new disc console to donate my previous one and the new one bizzarely refuses to connect to 2.4ghz wifi. Says the signal is too weak which is nonsense, also same deal trying to connect to iPhone hotspot. Connects fine to 5ghz. Sony, you never fail to surprise me.

Anyone seen something like this?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got a new disc console to donate my previous one and the new one bizzarely refuses to connect to 2.4ghz wifi. Says the signal is too weak which is nonsense, also same deal trying to connect to iPhone hotspot. Connects fine to 5ghz. Sony, you never fail to surprise me.

I havent heard of that before but i found this article that shows you how to force the PS5 to use 2.4 or 5ghz in the PS5 settings which i had no clue you could do.....maybe this will help you force it to 2.4

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-force-your-ps5-connect-5ghz-wi-fi

Last edited:

Shmunter

I havent heard of that before but i found this article that shows you how to force the PS5 to use 2.4 or 5ghz in the PS5 settings which i had no clue you could do.....maybe this will help you force it to 2.4

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-force-your-ps5-connect-5ghz-wi-fi
Thanks Joe. Yes have tried this, strangely have taken console to different place and now can connect. Never experienced such oddity before, some new wifi chip in these new models or even last firmware has done something, who knows.

Justin9mm

Kind of unrelated but I can't have my dual band wireless network with one SSID because my Samsung phone refuses to connect to 5Ghz and only connects to 2.4Ghz because Android took the option away to set the preferred band. I don't know why these things are so difficult.

Shmunter

Kind of unrelated but I can't have my dual band wireless network with one SSID because my Samsung phone refuses to connect to 5Ghz and only connects to 2.4Ghz because Android took the option away to set the preferred band. I don't know why these things are so difficult.
Thanks for the input. Have different ssid on the 2 snd 5. But anyway may actually be related to usb3 cable on an external drive screwing the signal. Changing it over or unplugging seems to cure the issue. Strange shit, oh well, all’s well that ends well.

See if it comes back.

Top Bottom