• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

A supposed independent software developer has leaked a brief description of what is supposedly the Playstation 5 Slim onto Twitter today. From what they say, it seems like the PS5 Slim isn’t even really that “Slim”, despite the name. However, no actual video or images have come with this description yet. Guy with the information did reveal that he has a video as well. Whether we will get to see that video or not is another discussion.
The developer (mostly making tools and utilities), who goes by @BwE_Dev on Twitter, described the PlayStation 5 Slim as being five centimeters or so shorter than the normal Playstation 5, and not much thinner. The disc drive is also less curved than the normal one, which he claims “looks weird”. Two black slits are also on each side of the case, with two USB-C ports on the front. Finally, the face buttons are embossed on the rear.

While, again, there’s no guarantee that BwE either saw the full thing or that it was an early prototype design, so far it seems like the PS5 Slim is going to be imitating the odd shape of the original Playstation 5. The shape got a large amount of commentary for its odd, flaring design, especially after the fairly similar designs of past Playstation consoles.

There’s also been debate on whether or not we’ll actually get any variants of the Playstation 5 to begin with. Back in January, Insider Gaming head Tom Henderson expressed doubt that we’d be getting a PlayStation 5 Pro or a Playstation 5 Slim at all.
“Slim” consoles are just that, slimmed-down versions of consoles that are less powerful, but are also cheaper and take up less space. The Xbox Series S, for instance, is a great deal thinner than the large black minifridge that is the Xbox Series X, and also noticeably smaller.

The last split-off console that Sony put in the Playstation line was the Playstation 4 Pro, which had greater graphical power than the original PlayStation 4 and was also noticeably bigger. This may be the reason why Sony’s supposed design for the Playstation 5 Slim isn’t very good.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
agreed high quality GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As I said in the other thread,

He should draw us a picture.

I still don't think it will be much different in overall look. "Slim" are those who have their own head cannon or adopt other's head cannon. None of the official leaks ever called it a slim, but rather mentioned a slight redesign for a unified assembly line product which would be sound logistics.

I always get annoyed when I see stuff like this,
Guy with the information did reveal that he has a video as well. Whether we will get to see that video or not is another discussion.

Put up, or STFU.

SJRB

Gold Member
A revision should give a performance improvement in some way to make it worthwhile for me as a consumer.

What the fuck does it matter what the size of the machine is? I'll never understand people who make an issue out of this. Do you live in your grandma's basement or something?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dual USB c in the front? How about connecting pulse 3d then? It got usb A.
5cm smaller is fine. What's important is that disc drive is still in boys

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A revision should give a performance improvement in some way to make it worthwhile for me as a consumer.

What the fuck does it matter what the size of the machine is? I'll never understand people who make an issue out of this. Do you live in your grandma's basement or something?

Yes they do. LOL!!!!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
None of the info about this thing ever seemed to point to it being a "slim" design lol

It's a redesign to make the default console a digital one, and to have an add-on drive.. and of course Sony's usual attempts at cost cutting over time.

Still 5cm is nice, but I do wonder if Sony will brand it "slim". Maybe "PS5 short" lol

Last edited:

Tommi84

Just fix this horrible BUZZING SOUND goddamit! The 'fix' that needs to be applied in the powersupply literally costs pennies and I can't fathom how were Sony allowed to release the console in this state

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
None of the info about this thing ever seemed to point to it being a "slim" design lol

It's a redesign to make the default console a digital one, and to have an add-on drive.. and of course Sony's usual attempts at cost cutting over time.

Still 5cm is nice, but I do wonder if Sony will brand it "slim". Maybe "PS5 short" lol

But this leak says this new PS5 has a disc drive too.

DaGwaphics

Who would say that slim consoles are generally less powerful than the OG console, that's literally never happened. In fact, the X1S increased performance marginally and all the others from Sony, Nintendo, and Sega just performed the same.

Sad to hear that they might still have that same disturbing shape. I had figured I might not bother getting a PS this generation, that choice might cinch that decision for me. At least it would be a couple inches shorter I guess.

Dthomp

Really for me all that matters is that it improves on the awful heat problems that the launch systems could have. Mine has had to be stripped down and heavy cleaned twice already due to overheating shutdowns and I live in a pretty well ventilated area of my place. Wifes launch system has never had a problem though, so just a bad roll of the dice for me but I want a new one that I don't have to worry about this anymore. A just basic box would also be fine with me, never have been a fan of the look of this system

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
But this leak says this new PS5 has a disc drive too.
Every rumor points towards a removable drive.

Perhaps this "indie dev" with 2k followers is just making shit up lol He also just may have seen it in "attached drive" state.

Honestly not even sure why a random indie dev would know.

Last edited:
what is this guy reliable, what is would be the point of removing the disc drive if it’s not much slimmer WTF. And Sony there is no way the ps5 is outselling the ps4 if you can’t get a slim ps5 out there ASAP.

Last edited:

Moses85

That isnt much of an surprise. Slim is 2 years away. Its just a PS5 to improve the profit.

Did you really expect a Slim?

Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

DaGwaphics

what is this guy reliable, what is would be the point of removing the disc drive if it’s not much slimmer WTF. And Sony there is no way the ps5 is outselling the ps4 if you can’t a slim ps5 out there ASAP.

Who knows how it will work out, but I can definitely see a potential manufacturing advantage if they moved to a design that could easily be digital or disk (even if they keep selling both). As it is they are manufacturing two separate cases and maybe two different MBs (does the DE currently have the connections for the drive?). Switching to a model that they could easily pop a drive onto would likely save them some dollars. Maybe that could manifest as everything being DE and users could add the disk, or Sony can easily add the drive in packaging of a disk model.

Mokus

5cm it is something. I assume it's the massive cooling system that is is significantly reduced.

Tsaki

Nothing new that Henderson didn't already leak. "He has a video to support it". Show stuff or you are a bullshitter. Simple as.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sounds good for anyone with the original or just picked one up in the fire sale...

...ahem...me...so cool...just hang fire for the pro.

THE:MILKMAN

Some have warned people it likely wasn't a slim but you know people

crazy nicolas cage GIF

To be fair this same article points out that Tom Henderson just a few months ago expressed doubt if slim and Pro even existed and now is according to Kepler_L2 the only legit leaker of Pro specs...!

I can't keep up!

Top Bottom