• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

Surely it can’t be any worse than the current version? If they trim it down, get rid of the useless disc drive, and price it at £399 then I might be tempted. I could’ve just bought the digital version but at this point I might as well wait. Not that I’m in any rush to get a PS5. I’ll probably not buy one until well into next year.

Robb

Gold Member
Oh Come On GIF

What’s the point then?

Really hope this is false. Make something smaller that looks nice, please.

//DEVIL//

Here is hoping they are still using the same fan type ( since its not much smaller if to to assume the report is correct )

Kdad

Who would say that slim consoles are generally less powerful than the OG console, that's literally never happened. In fact, the X1S increased performance marginally and all the others from Sony, Nintendo, and Sega just performed the same.

Sad to hear that they might still have that same disturbing shape. I had figured I might not bother getting a PS this generation, that choice might cinch that decision for me. At least it would be a couple inches shorter I guess.
Yeah...thought that was a weird statement....I guess in some cases the eventual slim did remove functionality? Like no HDD bay on PS2 Slim or no Flash memory and less USB ports on PS3 Slims? Maybe less powerful means 'draws less power' lol.

MrA

Banned
5 cm or 2 inches shorter isn't insubstantial , the ps3 slim was 3. 5 cm shorter 3.3 cm thinner and 1.5 cm longer
Coupled with a weight drop and slightly thinner thats noticeably smaller unit
Plus sony will probably take the chance simplify the board and case,

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The PS3 and PS4 had a slim revision at year 3. Expecting this for the PS5 = you are an idiot.
How about we look at some actual data instead instead of just throwing labels around:

PS3 - revision after 3 years was:
3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

PS4 revision after 3 years was:
1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

Maybe those 5 cm doesn't sound so bad now...?

Alternatively we also had:
PS1 - revision after 6+ years:
8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

PS2 - revision after 4.5 years:
7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower

peish

can sony still call it ps5 'slim' without getting canceled by internet nowadays? something about weight shaming?

//DEVIL//

If I wanted to buy one today is that the version I should be looking for?
CFI 1000 or CFI 1200 version. the new version is running on lower nm. less heat comes out of it. so a smaller heat sink is justified. the fans on 1200 or V3 of Nidec and Delta so they are kinda a bit better.

CFI 1000 has a bigger heat sink but a higher NM processor. so it produces more heat than 1200.

Also. With Final Fantasy 16, people were reporting there is a section of the game that drives the PS5 crazy. but not with the CFI 12000 series ( the one available right now ).

the one to avoid is the CFI 1100. it has the same NM processor as CFI 1000 but with a smaller heat sink. that model is so garbage it didn't even last a year in the market.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

CFI 1000 or CFI 1200 version. the new version is running on lower nm. less heat comes out of it. so a smaller heat sink is justified. the fans on 1200 or V3 of Nidec and Delta so they are kinda a bit better.

CFI 1000 has a bigger heat sink but a higher NM processor. so it produces more heat than 12000.

Also. With Final Fantasy 16, people were reporting there is a section of the game that drives the PS5 crazy. but not with the CFI 12000 series ( the one available right now ).

the one to avoid is the CFI 1100. it has the same NM processor as CFI 1000 but with a smaller heat sink. that model is so garbage it didn't even last a year in the market.

CFI 1100 had better contact with the heat spreader on components other than the APU. While the APU ran slightly hotter, everything ran cooler (the memory most importantly). The first revision is the one to avoid, poor contact with the memory with the heat spreader could mean the memory chips starting to fail over time. Considering how fast the PS5 is selling, it would be hard to buy a new PS5 and get anything other than the latest revision.

chaseroni

What matters most is that it is cheaper to produce. The size of the machine will only bother you when moving it, something you won't do often.
Nah, the original PS5 sitting under the TV gets mean looks from me all the time. Hate the size and look of the thing so much

peish

CFI 1000 has a bigger heat sink but a higher NM processor. so it produces more heat than 12000.

i have the 1200 DE, can testify it's running quietly throughout my ff16 playthrough even during 32 degrees Celsius day temps, yes the back vents still exhaust really hot air, but no glitches or annoyances. it looks great horizontally on my rack.

only issues i have is the black plastic part, feels cheap. Sony should have used the same material as the sides imo.

with liquid metal, this is best PS5! consoling myself

//DEVIL//

i have the 1200 DE, can testify it's running quietly throughout my ff16 playthrough even during 32 degrees Celsius day temps, yes the back vents still exhaust really hot air, but no glitches or annoyances. it looks great horizontally on my rack.

only issues i have is the black plastic part, feels cheap. Sony should have used the same material as the sides imo.

with liquid metal, this is best PS5! consoling myself

agreed.

CFI 1100 had better contact with the heat spreader on components other than the APU. While the APU ran slightly hotter, everything ran cooler (the memory most importantly). The first revision is the one to avoid, poor contact with the memory with the heat spreader could mean the memory chips starting to fail over time. Considering how fast the PS5 is selling, it would be hard to buy a new PS5 and get anything other than the latest revision.

Not a better contact, but it has better Memory temps than the 1000 series ( 7 degrees to 9 degrees difference ). I completely forgot about that you are right, but overall the temp of the whole system is higher than the 1000 model and thus, louder fan spin as well.

truly the best PS5 to buy is the CFI 1200 model. especially since as Peish said, it's the last model with Liquid metal. god knows what kind of temps and fan noise we will be getting with the 2000 series or whatever it's called. crossing finger its lower even though I kinda highly doubt it since I can't hear my 1200 anyway even if I am my ears on top of the system.

DaGwaphics

Yeah...thought that was a weird statement....I guess in some cases the eventual slim did remove functionality? Like no HDD bay on PS2 Slim or no Flash memory and less USB ports on PS3 Slims? Maybe less powerful means 'draws less power' lol.

Oh yeah, a missing expansion bay or maybe a lost specialty port or something, but losing performance would be new. The only thing I can think of there was the Genesis 3 where it wasn't compatible with games with the add-in chip.

I could potentially forgive them for not making it smaller if there were other upgrades for me (more storage, hardware upgrades, etc.). Maybe it will be a X1S situation and there will be some upgrades here that help shore up the 60fps modes or something like that.

DaGwaphics

How about we look at some actual data instead instead of just throwing labels around:

3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower

Depends on the rest of the dimensions obviously. The PS4 "slim" was quite a reduction in overall volume. As was the PS3 "slim".

twilo99

Great info

Fredrik

Just fix this horrible BUZZING SOUND goddamit! The 'fix' that needs to be applied in the powersupply literally costs pennies and I can't fathom how were Sony allowed to release the console in this state
What fix would that be? Is there a DIY fix?

peish

just the 5cm reduction is already 12% smaller 1 cm in either other dimension is around 20% smaller, and 1 cm in both other directions is 25% smaller, if its 2cm smaller it will hit the 33% size reduction

do people get monetary returns from twitter clickbaiting? we should black list bad actors such as this 5cm person, useless tweet was useless

Gamerguy84

Good for all you size queens out there.

Seriously we all know they aren't doing this for us. This is for profits like any action any company takes.

DaGwaphics

just the 5cm reduction is already 12% smaller 1 cm in either other dimension is around 20% smaller, and 1 cm in both other directions is 25% smaller, if its 2cm smaller it will hit the 33% size reduction

Absolutely, It's something that could actually make a huge difference when you are in front of it. I remember when the dimensions of the X1s leaked people didn't think it was much smaller but than when you see it in side by sides as a real product...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My Mrs tells me 5cm is enough....

She has been hanging around with my best friend a lot though..

Which is great! more game time and hanging out with you amazing people.

Right?

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
do people get monetary returns from twitter clickbaiting? we should black list bad actors such as this 5cm person, useless tweet was useless
I assume they're similar to people that cheat in online games, to fell special without accomplishing anything, or to annoy people

8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower

but both of those went to external psus , well up until the ps2 super slim which was the same but internal psu again

Moses85

The PS3 and PS4 had a slim revision at year 3. Expecting this for the PS5 = you are an idiot.
compare the performance and technic of them.
PS3 and PS4 have had standard cooling and the PS5 needs liquid metal to get cooled down.

The target with releasing a slim Model is always to sell it cheaper and also make profit.

if Sony would release a slim console it would have the same price as the current model.

Last edited:

skit_data

Interesting if true, I barely expected a new design given that the console probably won't be much smaller.
The disc drive is also less curved than the normal one, which he claims “looks weird”.
Sooo.. does the new one "look wierd" (as in even more wierd) than the old one? A little bit vague.

20cent

Banned
A revision should give a performance improvement in some way to make it worthwhile for me as a consumer.

What the fuck does it matter what the size of the machine is? I'll never understand people who make an issue out of this. Do you live in your grandma's basement or something?
Wait until you hear about some of them who buy "color plates" or another exact same controller because it comes in new colored plastic.
But, hey, that's easily 250 karma points on Reddit.

Allandor

What matters most is that it is cheaper to produce. The size of the machine will only bother you when moving it, something you won't do often.
I disagree :)
The size of the PS5 is too big IMHO. Placing it directly next to the tv can be distracting.
The smaller this thing is, the better (at least if it is quite).
Also I want to have a black edition from the start :). The PS5 in black looks so much better...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower
You made so good points there!

Also, PS5 is getting lighter and lighter with each revision and with this revision is bound to get smaller (as you said 5cm smaller in a dimension is pretty big compared to the PS3 and PS4 revisions).

I hope the PS5 Slim will be even lighter, but I hope they do not have to add more heat sink material now that they have removed liquid metal (my hope is that they reduced power consumption quite a bit by moving to a new manufacturing node for the SoC, enough to replace Liquid Metal cooling with standard thermal paste.

Top Bottom