• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

Mr Hyde

Cmon Son GIF

It's doable right? Right??

I Know Right Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seriously, why would an independent dev have insight on a an unreleased retail hardware model?

Makes zero sense.

Which makes me think it's either total bullshit, or third-hand information.

THE:MILKMAN

Seriously, why would an independent dev have insight on a an unreleased retail hardware model?

Makes zero sense.

Which makes me think it's either total bullshit, or third-hand information.

Probably is BS but there is the chance he saw a retail case test kit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably is BS but there is the chance he saw a retail case test kit.

Personally I'd be extremely skeptical that the appearance of a test unit is an accurate indication of the final retail design simply because their intended uses are so different.

I doubt there's any reason to offer both BD-Rom equipped units and digital-only test units when I believe the only differentiator is firmware versioning, whereas especially in terms of manufacture and marketing unifying the two lines via an optional drive would be a key product goal for retail.

Last edited:

jm89

RUMOR: Leak from China claiming they got packaging for the new PS5 with detachable disc drive (unknown if true)

-The height is about 5 cm lower, but the thickness is the same, not slim, but a renewed model
- Added a black slit to the cover. Abolition of changing clothes?
- Two Type-C ports on the front

Take with a pinch of salt. Could be someone taking what that guy earlier said and just made a mockup

Three

I like its design so I’m glad the “slim” is keeping it in some form.
I like the design too but the practicality of it horizontal is a bit shit. Vertical is much better with the screw and sturdy stand. The stand design is not robust enough horizontal though and it slides off it sometimes when you're trying to plug things in or out.

I'm actually surprised they haven't made a faceplate that you can screw the stand into horizontally. It would make it much better.

I take it the black slits are for detachable cover so you can insert the optional disc drive? Kinda like how you had to detach the glossy cover on the OG PS4.

Hopefully they add in an LED light like the OG ps4 too

Personally I'd be extremely skeptical that the appearance of a test unit is an accurate indication of the final retail design simply because their intended uses are so different.

I doubt there's any reason to offer both BD-Rom equipped units and digital-only test units when I believe the only differentiator is firmware versioning, whereas especially in terms of manufacture and marketing unifying the two lines via an optional drive would be a key product goal for retail.

The test kits are retailed cased units. Sony have done this for a long time. Here is the current PS5 test unit:

dfi-d1000aa-ps5-development-kit-dfi-t1000aa-ps5-testing-kit-hit-ebay-6-jpg.6767

All moot as this rumour is likely BS as I said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You connect a Pulse USB adapter in the front? Why? 🤣
It works better there for range with less interference and heat that I noticed myself, has caused issues with it. In the front, zero issues and way more range. Also, don't waste a high speed port (which also produces more heat) on a headset dongle, use the low speed, cool running front one.

Save the high speed rears for external drives and other devices taking advantage of the high speed.

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

It works better there for range with less interference and heat that I noticed myself, has caused issues with it. In the front, zero issues and way more range. Also, don't waste a high speed port (which also produces more heat) on a headset dongle, use the low speed, cool running front one.

Save the high speed rears for external drives and other devices taking advantage of the high speed.

"Some users" "I personally haven't experienced that"
Also, both USB C in front will be high speed so you're trading 1 fast and 1 slower for 2 fast ones...

DaGwaphics

Another screenshot from the other forum.

yW9hOQQ.jpg

That would make it the same size as the current one. Obviously if it is a couple inches shorter and maybe an inch or so less from front to back you would have something that would look smaller than the current version when looking at them side to side. Even if the leaked image is legit, we have zero context for size. It could be the size of a Walkman for all we know.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The test kits are retailed cased units. Sony have done this for a long time. Here is the current PS5 test unit:

dfi-d1000aa-ps5-development-kit-dfi-t1000aa-ps5-testing-kit-hit-ebay-6-jpg.6767

All moot as this rumour is likely BS as I said.

Yeah I know what a test unit is, as opposed to a devkit.

The point I was making is that there will be digital only and bd-rom equipped retail versions, but there's absolutely no reason to offer test units in both configurations. The cost reduction isn't meaningful when its a device for QA purposes - a pure business-to-business offering - so I'd suspect they'll just supply disc capable test units in a matching form-factor.

Test units have always been sold or valued at prohibitive cost for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
That would make it the same size as the current one. Obviously if it is a couple inches shorter and maybe an inch or so less from front to back you would have something that would look smaller than the current version when looking at them side to side. Even if the leaked image is legit, we have zero context for size. It could be the size of a Walkman for all we know.
Damn, I kinda low-key hate Daniel_Mallorca1985 Daniel_Mallorca1985 for not including the new video in the OP. People are missing a ton of context in this discussion....

Can someone ping a mod so they can edit the OP with the newly leaked video?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

If it's shorter, that would be a big plus. pS5 DE is super freaking tall. The retail box is about 2/3 as thick as my mid-size PC case... which is not small.

solidus12

If I wanted to buy one today is that the version I should be looking for?
Just get the latest one CFI-12XX, it doesn’t have the large heatsink with copper, but it has a 6nm APU compared to the previous 7nm models.

Last edited:

Not sure why Tom keeps banging on about it not being slim. Anyone with common sense knows that the days of the PS2 style slim (multiple node reductions cumulating in a tiny 86mm^2 "APU" in 4 years!) are long done. With OG PS5 using 230W and diminishing returns with process nodes, we all knew that revisions wouldn't be so dramatic. The use of "slim" is just a nickname that everyone understands is a major revision.

Not sure why Tom keeps banging on about it not being slim. Anyone with common sense knows that the days of the PS2 style slim (multiple node reductions cumulating in a tiny 86mm^2 "APU" in 4 years!) are long done. With OG PS5 using 230W and diminishing returns with process nodes, we all knew that revisions wouldn't be so dramatic. The use of "slim" is just a nickname that everyone understands is a major revision.

He keeps banging on it because people keep calling it "SLIM" for absolutely no reason...

Call it PS5 model 2023, it's enough

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
For the average person it IS literal
But does it really matter? Like I keep harping - PS3 'Slim' is to date - still 3rd fattest Playstation hardware model on the market.
And PS4 barely changed in size at all - people care more about labels than actual dimensions it seems.

If this new model is even a bit smaller than launch unit - let people call it Slim if they want ;)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Common sense isn't too common in the fickle gaming world, let alone anything really in current year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom