• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

Codeblew

I might believe this if it was a retailer leak and not some random developer. Why would some no-name developer get access to a retail slim before release. They literally have no use for it. They would just continue to use their dev kits.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To be fair this same article points out that Tom Henderson just a few months ago expressed doubt if slim and Pro even existed and now is according to Kepler_L2 the only legit leaker of Pro specs...!

I can't keep up!
Best I can remember there has never been talk about a slim except what people expected on forums and even Tom when first reporting on the new model even said its likely similar to current model with just a detachable drive

As far as a pro model goes it started getting traction early last year (March maybe?) and Sony even slightly thought about a much earlier launch but it got shelved and some thought that meant scrapped

Some even said we would get a Series S refresh first but I must admit when I said it I thought it would have more power and not just a larger SSD :)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Just fix this horrible BUZZING SOUND goddamit! The 'fix' that needs to be applied in the powersupply literally costs pennies and I can't fathom how were Sony allowed to release the console in this state
that's what i have on mine, it is completly silent even when the fan spins, but the buzzing sound from the PSU is awful
het's worse with 120hz games

THE:MILKMAN

Best I can remember there has never been talk about a slim except what people expected on forums and even Tom when first reporting on the new model even said its likely similar to current model with just a detachable drive

As far as a pro model goes it started getting traction early last year (March maybe?) and Sony even slightly thought about a much earlier launch but it got shelved and some thought that meant scrapped

Some even said we would get a Series S refresh first but I must admit when I said it I thought it would have more power and not just a larger SSD :)

For me in respect of PS5, slim has only ever meant "slim" as in a major revision. FWIW seeing the breakdown and comparison of all three PS5 models the latest CFI-1200 model internally is IMO a "slim", it just needs the new/revised outer case to go with it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
fail weight loss GIF by RETROFUNK

Lost 5cm!

But it was NEVER called a slim in the first place. Not sure where people got that from.

People want it to be, though. That’s why this thread is here. If it was a clear report of “minor PS5 refresh coming, barely any change in console size or design from current model”, none of us would be here, except to say Yawn. 🥱

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Wouldn't even be surprised if this is the origin of the PS5 Pro rumors.

There is absolutely no need for a Pro this gen.

damidu

cant be worse, or can it?
doesn’t read too hot.
i guess de will continue to be the only tolerable ps5 design

A supposed independent software developer has leaked a brief description of what is supposedly the Playstation 5 Slim onto Twitter today. From what they say, it seems like the PS5 Slim isn’t even really that “Slim”, despite the name. However, no actual video or images have come with this description yet. Guy with the information did reveal that he has a video as well. Whether we will get to see that video or not is another discussion.

Are these folks fucking idiots? It's not going to be literally called "the PS5 Slim". That's a colloquial name. No slim console has ever been the XXX "Slim". How are the folks who write for these media outlets about gaming so fucking ignorant about the shit they're writing about?

It's frankly embarrassing.

There’s also been debate on whether or not we’ll actually get any variants of the Playstation 5 to begin with. Back in January, Insider Gaming head Tom Henderson expressed doubt that we’d be getting a PlayStation 5 Pro or a Playstation 5 Slim at all.

No... Pretty sure Tom has been the primary source saying a PS5 Pro and PS5 slim with removable disc drive are coming.

“Slim” consoles are just that, slimmed-down versions of consoles that are less powerful, but are also cheaper and take up less space. The Xbox Series S, for instance, is a great deal thinner than the large black minifridge that is the Xbox Series X, and also noticeably smaller.

Errrrr.. no!!! WTF is this goon smoking? Slim consoles have NEVER been less powerful. They're just the same hardware die-shrunk on a smaller process node. They consume less power, they're typically smaller and therefore often considerably cheaper.

The last split-off console that Sony put in the Playstation line was the Playstation 4 Pro, which had greater graphical power than the original PlayStation 4 and was also noticeably bigger. This may be the reason why Sony’s supposed design for the Playstation 5 Slim isn’t very good.

Ok.... this person is definitely retarded.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
One thing everyone is forgetting is that they have the “ face plate “ thing going on so they would want every console to be able to use those if possible. Could be lawsuits other wise.

So not a slim but a facelift. I'm ok with this.

BTW I don't really think there's a way to make it much smaller than it is. The PS5 APU is 7nm right? Going from 7 to 5 is one node only... it's not going to miraculously make the whole thing 50% smaller.

RaySoft

Who would say that slim consoles are generally less powerful than the OG console, that's literally never happened. In fact, the X1S increased performance marginally and all the others from Sony, Nintendo, and Sega just performed the same.

Sad to hear that they might still have that same disturbing shape. I had figured I might not bother getting a PS this generation, that choice might cinch that decision for me. At least it would be a couple inches shorter I guess.
Probably a typo, as in it consumes less power.

One thing everyone is forgetting is that they have the “ face plate “ thing going on so they would want every console to be able to use those if possible. Could be lawsuits other wise.

Eh?! Why?

Folks buying a Slim wouldn't have had a Phat. The Slim would be their first console. So if they bought faceplates for a console they didn't own, then that's on them for being dumbasses.

damidu

the issue with size is that huge fan sitting next to the motherboard instead of on top of it.
they shrinked the mb quite a bit in last revisions. but i guess they still need the fan where it is, to blow air to both sides of mb

DaGwaphics

Are the current plates going to fit if it is even just a little shorter? Couldn't they just offer a different series of plates for a smaller model.

NeonDelta

Lawsuit for what? Don't be ridiculous

It's like me buying tyres for my car then buying another car with smaller wheels and taking the car manufacturer to court because the tyres I bought for something else won't fit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
lol @ lawsuits

They may want to keep the same faceplates for simplicity reasons, and I wouldn't be shocked if that was true, but it would have nothing to do with lawsuits.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is no reason to not keep upgrading the box as long as new box is not missing features and giving advantage to new buyers, therefore scamming those who bought older version of it

DaGwaphics

Surely what matters most is the cost of the product for the consumer?

IKR, them making a few extra $ on it isn't much of a benefit to me. LOL I couldn't care less if they were losing their shirt on it.

The only thing I'm concerned about is what I'm getting. Is it cheaper for me, do I get more storage, etc.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Eh?! Why?

Folks buying a Slim wouldn't have had a Phat. The Slim would be their first console. So if they bought faceplates for a console they didn't own, then that's on them for being dumbasses.
lol @ lawsuits

They may want to keep the same faceplates for simplicity reasons, and I wouldn't be shocked if that was true, but it would have nothing to do with lawsuits.
you wait I bet you they will stop selling new faceplates before they make a different console design.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
What matters most is that it is cheaper to produce. The size of the machine will only bother you when moving it, something you won't do often.
The size matters to me, aswell as the form factor. If I really wanted one I would buy it anyway. But the truth of the matter is, I don't have space in my setup for a PS5 as is. It's not all that matters, but it's certainly relevant to me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would buy a real slim for sure but even better would be an LE that was just as big as the current ps5 but looked like a ps2. I’d literally pay anything for that. 😎

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean if you give me a design that doesn't incorporate the silly stand I'd be okay with it, it doesn't seem very well thought out.

Don't @ me, the design is straight silly and I'm not much of a fan all these months later.
No way, it took some brilliant engineering to design a console that requires a stand just to sit horizontallly.

Mr Moose

So it's about 13 inches instead of 15?
that's what i have on mine, it is completly silent even when the fan spins, but the buzzing sound from the PSU is awful
het's worse with 120hz games
Are you sure it's the PSU and not the bottom foot thing vibrating? Push down a little on it when you hear it, see if it stops.

Last edited:

Three

If the size hasn't changed drastically maybe the current faceplates will still fit.
And protrude 5cms out? Doesn't seem to make sense to have them fit really.

Has anybody measured the spiderman special edition console to see if it's 5cms shorter?

Last edited:
Top Bottom