• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

Three

This is a three dimensional object ffs, what does "5cm smaller" even mean?!
They mean 5 cubic meters

El_boYOWoAMymdW.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
How about we look at some actual data instead instead of just throwing labels around:

PS3 - revision after 3 years was:
3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

PS4 revision after 3 years was:
1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

Maybe those 5 cm doesn't sound so bad now...?

Alternatively we also had:
PS1 - revision after 6+ years:
8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

PS2 - revision after 4.5 years:
7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower
Still sounds terrible considering this is the biggest PlayStation ever and according to this report they can’t make it any narrower. Now it’s just going to be slightly less preposterously tall.

As long as they get rid of the terrible curved design and gloss plastic it will still be a winner though.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Wait, it's with disk drive? I thought that slim version will get rid of disk drive first, especially if they want to release it as separate device (which is genius).

Three

Still sounds terrible considering this is the biggest PlayStation ever and according to this report they can’t make it any narrower. Now it’s just going to be slightly less preposterously tall.

As long as they get rid of the terrible curved design and gloss plastic it will still be a winner though.
They say it looks similar in design.

i have the 1200 DE, can testify it's running quietly throughout my ff16 playthrough even during 32 degrees Celsius day temps, yes the back vents still exhaust really hot air, but no glitches or annoyances. it looks great horizontally on my rack.

only issues i have is the black plastic part, feels cheap. Sony should have used the same material as the sides imo.

with liquid metal, this is best PS5! consoling myself
Yes currently the 1200 is the best model to get. 6nm and still with liquid metal.

noise36

Sony did a lot right this gen but the console physical design is really really bad. Super ugly and not even stable on its side. Was hoping a slim would fix this!

Dodo123

How about we look at some actual data instead instead of just throwing labels around:

3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower
Thank you for giving them a lesson. I planned to do the same, after reading so many annoying posts in this thread.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

3.5 cm narrower
3.5 cm shorter
1.5 cm deeper

1.0 cm narrower
1.4 cm shorter
1.7 cm shallower

8.2 cm narrower
2.6 cm shorter
4.6 cm shallower

7.1 cm narrower
5.0 cm shorter
3.1 cm shallower

Taraji P Henson Lol GIF by Emmys

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but people bring up (and for good reason) faceplates as a reason there won't be much of a size difference but what about the detachable drive? Maybe it can be fit in more seamlessly than I'm thinking but it's possible that kind of design might play havoc with trying to keep with the same faceplate design.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
For those of you saying that nobody cares: the only reason I have a Series S and not a PS5 is because that thing is a monstrosity and I don't play enough to warrant having that thing. I'll wait until they get the size down to half (or SOCOM is brought back).

onQ123

The ps5 slim is just another fantasy made up by the ps fanboys. Just like the real ps shiwcase that will be announced any day now or sony buying take 2 or starfield coming to ps5 later,.... The list is endless.
Some people on here would call that mental illness.
Or a Suspicious Mind

DaGwaphics

The slim used to be for bragging, time has changed, no one really cares outside of forums.

I think the slims were always just about how small and cheap can the product be made without changing the functionality. But people tend to like and appreciate smaller tech, thus it works for everyone.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Still sounds terrible considering
I fail to see how that makes it terrible? PS3 was the biggest console before and it's Slim is one of the weakest (in terms of relative improvement), and actually larger than every other Playstation unit, except for launch PS3 and PS5. And PS4 slim improvement was the smallest relative gain, even though it is the second largest launch unit.

but both of those went to external psus , well up until the ps2 super slim which was the same but internal psu again
Even with PS included those had the largest volume decrease. But indeed - the final PS2 Slim by far the biggest reduction - at only 1/5th of the size of original unit.

Depends on the rest of the dimensions obviously. The PS4 "slim" was quite a reduction in overall volume. As was the PS3 "slim".
I mean yes - but the point was reduction of 5cm in any one dimension isn't small, or even average - it's at the high end of the biggest reductions in history.
Also both PS4 and PS3 were barefly meaningful reductions when compared to trends set by PS2/PS1, so if we go by that logic(what came before), both very actually terrible Slim SKUs (I mean PS3 even in SuperSlim form was practically the same size as the launch PS2 - and regular Slim was still quite a bit larger than that).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I fail to see how that makes it terrible? PS3 was the biggest console before and it's Slim is a relatively distant third on the ladder of biggest PS improvements. And PS4 is last, as the second largest launch unit

Because it’s a big fat ugly eyesore right now in every dimension, and just shaving 5cm from its 40cm height isn’t going to do anything to help solve that.

Topher

Gold Member
Seems Sony is focusing on keeping costs down rather than making an aesthetically pleasing device. When I look at XSX and XSS, those are some nice looking and well built consoles. But Microsoft is also taking a significant loss on every unit they sell. Personally I don't care much about the looks. PS5 is certainly big and that's fine by me. A new PS5 is going to have to bring something more than just being smaller for me to really care. Basically, Pro model or nothing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I could do without the fins to be perfectly honest. Doesn't matter, not buying that shit. PS5 pro or stfu.

Top Bottom