• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's design is hiding something I think most people missed.

Romulus

6U6xiok.jpg

Notice the photoshopped VR headset? Notice how PS5 and all its accessories are mimicking its color scheme almost exactly?

That's not all. Notice the focus on "immersion" -- 3D audio, haptic controller, and new camera? You think that's an eye toy 2?

I think we're seeing a very crafty, slow burn VR push. Get people comfortable with the idea of a $500-600 console, then release a new headset that puts a cherry on this entire plan. It's too much money to do this all at once. "You don't need PSVR2, but if you want to experience our games to the fullest, its recommend." Slow burn that in.

I think we're going to see a bigger VR push in a couple of years, with a lot of games that are playable in and outside of VR.

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
About the camera, did Sony enter in details? I thought it was for current psvr.

I would be very despointed if the psvr 2 doesn't have cameras on the HMD.

You don't need PSVR2, but if you want to experience our games to the fullest, its recommend." Slow burn that in.

It's probably going to be the same as this gen. As in games will be playable without VR but you can buy the headset for more immersion.

Completely optional like before.

Romulus

It's probably going to be the same as this gen. As in games will be playable without VR but you can buy the headset for more immersion.

Completely optional like before.

I expect to see more of that with PS5. More options for VR. It can likely render AAA VR games without RT etc to a very high quality. And even 3rd person games are proven to be super immersive like Hellblade for example. And if you have all these VR complementary devices working together, audio, visual, controllers with next level feedback, I can see them really pushing this as an ecosystem.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
6U6xiok.jpg

Notice the photoshopped VR headset? Notice how PS5 and all its accessories are mimicking its color scheme almost exactly?

That's not all. Notice the focus on "immersion" -- 3D audio, haptic controller, and new camera? You think that's an eye toy 2?

I think we're seeing a very crafty, slow burn VR push. Get people comfortable with the idea of a $500-600 console, then release a new headset that puts a cherry on this entire plan. It's too much money to do this all at once. "You don't need PSVR2, but if you want to experience our games to the fullest, its recommend." Slow burn that in.

I think we're going to see a bigger VR push in a couple of years, with a lot of games that are playable in and outside of VR.

People noticed the similarities since the day on the DualSense reveal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We already knew PSVR2 was coming, I just don’t think will see anything about it until next year the earliest or two years in.

They will take advantage of the full potential now of the original PSVR and then when prices come down for more QoL improvements (more wireless etc), they will unveil PSVR2.

That was the very first thing I noticed, I made a comments about the Astro Bot and PSVR cohesion.

Last edited:

Romulus

Yeah but the console with the really prevalent blue just adds to it way more. Nobody knew the PS5 would look like this. It could have easily been all black, not with the classic PSVR blue and white.

Last edited:
"You don't need PSVR2, but if you want to experience our games to the fullest, its recommend."
I wonder what a game would look like that plays perfectly fine without VR, but gets much better with it, especially considering all of Sony's blockbusters from last gen aren't VR friendly at all.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I just sold my psvr set and i am waiting for the improved and newest rendition of psvr. Without all the cables that made It so annoying.

I still have mine, but haven't used it in ages. Probably should sell it, though I have a few things I should play.

But yeah, all the damn wires, stupid break out box etc. are annoying as hell. They've got to do something about heat and sweating and fogging the lenses too. Drives me nuts. I haven't used any of the PC VR headsets though so I'm not sure if others are less hot or it's just because I'm a person that runs hot and gets sweaty easily.

Romulus

I wonder what a game would look like that plays perfectly fine without VR, but gets much better with it, especially considering all of Sony's blockbusters from last gen aren't VR friendly at all.

Idk, but I played Hellblad and I thought it would suck for VR and it added alot.

Cravis

I still have mine, but haven't used it in ages. Probably should sell it, though I have a few things I should play.

But yeah, all the damn wires, stupid break out box etc. are annoying as hell. They've got to do something about heat and sweating and fogging the lenses too. Drives me nuts. I haven't used any of the PC VR headsets though so I'm not sure if others are less hot or it's just because I'm a person that runs hot and gets sweaty easily.
I get so sweaty too. Especially Beat Saber. I feel like I need to take a shower after playing due to how sweaty I get.

Doesn’t help that I’m out of shape. I’ll be the first to admit that.

A new iteration of PSVR would be great and would definitely give the console a lot of pull compared to XBSEX. I would even dip into PSVR 2.0, though I already have a Rift.

Moogle11

Banned
I get so sweaty too. Especially Beat Saber. I feel like I need to take a shower after playing due to how sweaty I get.

Doesn’t help that I’m out of shape. I’ll be the first to admit that.

I'm in ok shape. Could be better, but ok BMI etc. I've just always ran hot and sweated a ton even when younger and in peak shape from sports etc.

Even with VR games that don't require movement like Astrobot I tend to swat some and fog the lenses. There's just not enough airflow with the rubber seal up against my face. Needs some small, quiet internal fans or something as it can't be open as it has to block out light.

It may just be one of those things that's just never for me I guess. I have some motion sickness issues too. It gets better when I get my legs, but I really only played enough to be at that point the first couple of months I owned it. Now when I go to play things the combo of sweat, lens fogging and mild nausea turns me off and I end up shelving it for months again.

Tranquil

I just sold my psvr set and i am waiting for the improved and newest rendition of psvr. Without all the cables that made It so annoying.

I did the same thing a couple months ago. Once they have a version with no cables and equally as important comfortable to wear then I'm all in.

I own an oculus rift and owned a PSVR and both of them I couldn't wear for long than 30 minutes without taking everything off so I could give my face a breather.

INC

I'm in ok shape. Could be better, but ok BMI etc. I've just always ran hot and sweated a ton even when younger and in peak shape from sports etc.

Even with VR games that don't require movement like Astrobot I tend to swat some and fog the lenses. There's just not enough airflow with the rubber seal up against my face. Needs some small, quiet internal fans or something as it can't be open as it has to block out light.

It may just be one of those things that's just never for me I guess. I have some motion sickness issues too. It gets better when I get my legs, but I really only played enough to be at that point the first couple of months I owned it. Now when I go to play things the combo of sweat, lens fogging and mild nausea turns me off and I end up shelving it for months again.

I don't get any fogging on my rift s, and I play FPS games for hours doing full 360 movements.

Moogle11

Banned
I don't get any fogging on my rift s, and I play FPS games for hours doing full 360 movements.

Do you get sweaty though? I have a couple friends who also have PSVRs and one is like me and sweats easily and profusely despite being in shape (way better shape than me as he's a gym rat/bodybuilder) and he has the fogging issues. The other runs cool and doesn't sweat easily or very much when they do get hot, so they have no fogging problems.

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought this was noticed when they first showed off the DualSense controller? The colour scheme was exactly the same.

Another thing, the PSVR headset looks like AstroBot. The console therefore looks a bit like AstroBot and Astro's Playroom is pre-loaded onto every PS5. So the Astro Bot looking console comes with a packed in AstroBot game.

INC

Do you get sweaty though? I have a couple friends who also have PSVRs and one is like me and sweats easily and profusely despite being in shape (way better shape than me as he's a gym rat/bodybuilder) and he has the fogging issues. The other runs cool and doesn't sweat easily or very much when they do get hot, so they have no fogging problems.

I'll level with you, if I play pistol whip, I sweat like fuck, but no real fogging, just a ridiculously hot head

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Those extras all having the same two-tone style pretty much means there won't be an all-black version that fans are crying for.

Moogle11

Banned
I'll level with you, if I play pistol whip, I sweet like fuck, but no real fogging, just a ridiculously hot head

Thanks! Good to know. So maybe it's just the PSVR not being breathable enough and keeping to much moisture between the face shield and the lenses.

Moogle11

Banned
Those extras all having the same two-tone style pretty much means there won't be an all-black version that fans are crying for.

While I don't like the white console, its not a huge deal to me. I do hope they put out other color options for controllers. And I'm sure they will as those make a ton of money and they've always had a variety of colors for their controllers over time. I really just want an all black or midnight blue (my favorite DS4 color) option. I prefer darker controllers as my hands tend to get sweaty gaming and white and light gray controllers end up looking gross and are hard to clean back to new looking.

Quantum253

I'm thinking we'll get a new PSVR. Who knows when it will be announced though. What I'm missing is if the digital console has higher pre-orders and sales, does that mean more people really care less about backwards compatibility, and the option to play ps4 disc games, or will there be options to download digital editions of those games?

Meesh

The first thing I think of when I look at this is "Nintendo 0n".
I'm sorry!!!! Can't help it lol!
But if they're "innovating" VR in any way I'm all for it.

Romulus

I think the current PSVR is alot better than when I first got it. It's not on the level of my PCVR of course, but games like Iron Man and The Walking Dead are really impressive for the hardware. Super excited for Iron Man, the tracking was perfect, which is a big wtf for me.

Last edited:

rob305

Yeah this was a given, theyre gonna wait a year before they release a $500 PSVR headset. Its easier to digest if you ask people to upgrade your console in the first year and then put out a new PSVR the next year

Cleared_Hot

What's the visual quality like on the psvr headset? I've never used one. If it's not 4k/hdr capable than why wouldn't they make a new one?

yurinka

I would be very despointed if the psvr 2 doesn't have cameras on the HMD.
Sony patents show cameras on the HMD for something that is likely to be PSVR2. It also would fit with the fact that the lights of the DualSense are facing the HMD and not the tv.

The camera of that image I think will be for people who makes streams with camera, video calls or for legacy PSVR1 BC. But I'm pretty sure PSVR2 won't need that camera.

Psykodad

Banned
Even a oculus quest is a generation up from psvr, only thing that's decent with psvr was the aim controller, for the price tho, psvr is a great entry level device
Yeah, but PC gaming is no option. Besides, PSVR was also limited by PS4 (Pro) hardware.
PS5 will give IQ a major boost.

i was looking down at my mrs this morning before i was about plow her and i realised what the ps5 looks like.....cunt flaps
im guessing the case designer is stuck at home with his wife in covid19 isolation and he has been spending a little bit to much time between the sheets with his wife

INC

Yeah, but PC gaming is no option. Besides, PSVR was also limited by PS4 (Pro) hardware.
PS5 will give IQ a major boost.

Only need a pc to side load games on to the quest, plus psvr will alway be limited by only having a forward face camera, you don't have 360 movement, plus the moves aren't great.

Again it's a great entry level headset, and I enjoyed my time with it, but I'd never go back to it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Recommended or not, im not playing any game in VR of any kind because it's simply not how I want to play games. But it is funny how the console and everything does that the same color scheme as PSVR.

Psykodad

Banned
Only need a pc to side load games on to the quest, plus psvr will alway be limited by only having a forward face camera, you don't have 360 movement, plus the moves aren't great.

Again it's a great entry level headset, and I enjoyed my time with it, but I'd never go back to it.
I just don't have any interest in buying a gaming PC though.
And I'm fine with PSVR. It's not somethint I'll be playing games on to the same extent as regular games anyway.
I also don't need 360 movement, I'm sitting on my couch. Works perfectly fine with Firewall.

But to each his own.

INC

Recommended or not, im not playing any game in VR of any kind because it's simply not how I want to play games. But it is funny how the console and everything does that the same color scheme as PSVR.

Why have you tried it? Not even something like a racing game? Flight sim?

I just don't have any interest in buying a gaming PC though.
And I'm fine with PSVR. It's not somethint I'll be playing games on to the same extent as regular games anyway.
I also don't need 360 movement, I'm sitting on my couch. Works perfectly fine with Firewall.

But to each his own.

True dude, horses for courses

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Its a PS4 game but Wipeout Omega collection fits that description. Its gorgeous in VR.

But Im waiting for PSVR2 as well. I keep hearing little bits and it should be a big jump.

Romulus

What's the visual quality like on the psvr headset? I've never used one. If it's not 4k/hdr capable than why wouldn't they make a new one?

It's pretty blurry compared to the standard, but much of that is the PS4's fault. But VR is more about the advantages it has over a normal screen that really wows people. It puts you inside the gaming world with true life scale and depth perception, something that's impossible to convey unless you tried it. Like if you've never walked up near an elephant in real life, VR can show you exactly how big it is, normal screens cannot do this. Not even close. So imagine aircraft carrier bases and other massive objects or scenery.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed to see no VR at all in an event called "the future of games" that instead focused on tons of remasters, remakes, sequels and indie clones of past flat games. No hint in GT7, REVIIIage or other clear cuts for VR, like FPS. and it should, because now PS5 has power for extreme framerates and good resolution.

even celebrated VR Star Astro Bot starring a flat demo. This I can excuse because they'll be showcasing 3D audio, superior haptics with this cute fellow and he needs to be known by flatlanders before they get any kind of hype for him...

in any case, more news are coming about the console, so I guess they may focus on current psvr integration. I don't need to wait for PSVR2 to be here to enjoy the likes of GT7: dual sense is fine, as is current psvr headset tracking, specially better tracking with a higher resolution new camera...

Moogle11

Banned
I was very disappointed to see no VR at all in an event called "the future of games" that instead focused on tons of remasters, remakes, sequels and indie clones of past flat games. No hint in GT7, REVIIIage or other clear cuts for VR, like FPS. and it should, because now PS5 has power for extreme framerates and good resolution.

That's really just too much to focus in on right now. The console itself is likely to be at least $500 for the disc version. It's a bit much to be showing VR stuff and hyping that as the best way to play something like RE or GT7 when it would require a PSVR2 that's probably $200-300 on top of that. That's setting a high price bar during a pandemic and economic collapse with very high unemployment.

Probably better to focus on the console for now and PSVR 2 a year or so down the road once more people own PS5s and have saved up cash for another pricey hardware purchase. Spread out the damage to people's wallets. And that's not even factoring in that many people, myself included, still need to upgrade their TVs and receivers to 4K, some 4K owners will want to upgrade for HDMI 2.1 etc.

Top Bottom