• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD is "far ahead" of those found in high-end PCs, according to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

So, I know someone is gonna call me "MS mole" or "shill," but I have to ask:

Knowing what we know after this morning, doesn't the proprietary expansion storage of the XsX kinda make more sense? We now see how SSD speed is vital and a huge component in what we will experience in next-gen console exclusives. MS is at least making sure there is NO discrepancy between internal SSD and expansion SSDs.

I am not saying Sony's route is bad. It's fine. I loved upgrading my PS4 HD, was SO easy to do. But, next gen, the wrong SSD in your PS5 could cause big issues with how games are designed to take advantage of that bandwidth, right? Sure, they will tell what type of SSD to buy, they will give you the requirements, but user error might still show up more often than it should.

I say all this HOPING/ASSUMING that MS is not going to ridiculously overcharge for the expansion cards.

P Panajev2001a I would like to hear your thoughts on this, I know we disagreed about it weeks ago.

ethomaz

Banned
But you can get 6gbs already? Which is extremely fast and can more than do that demo

he clearly states thattoday’s pcs can do that demo and the only thing he says about lower detail is HDD
They said the level of detail is scable across the HDD/SSDs speeds.

Now show me that 6GB/s SSD being sold and not some demo of a product to be launched late this year.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Now show me that 6GB/s SSD being sold and not some demo of a product to be launched late this year.

go google you will find them, you are also saying that the PS5 SSD must be maxes out already using that demo? 1140p and full maxed streaming already with that demo

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
No chance, you are making that up because nothing in those quotes says less detail on pc with SSD, only HDD

Living in denial?

there is no "pc SSD", that is fiction and/or lie.

There are SSDs, plural. So it you cant just generalize that PCs can do it 100% equally vs PS5 (or xbox SSD).

Because some PC SSDs are slow, some are average, some are fast, some are ultra fast. None are as fast as ps5 yet, but will be in next 6months or so.

So, where is your common sense that tells you: HDD -> SSD(pc) / xsex -> ps5 (at the moment) is not black and white, it is large scale of different speeds and HDD is of course the slowest, PS5 is the fastest and PC can be anything between HDD and PS5 (and above with raid setups + other rare special stuff)

my point is that currently that tech demo most likely gives most details on PS5 and Ultra-high end PCs with special setups, anything below those probably drop the details because that demo is literally about streaming assets and faster storage -> more details.

WIth your logic anything above HDD would be equal, which is just stupid.

Funny how people still want to downplay PS5 after all these months. And while it is easy to know the fact that 12 > 10, having double the bandwith for SSD turns into "it is nothing lol". I am 100 % sure that after next gen gets going, that double SSD speed is giving more noticeable results than 20% faster gpu.

ethomaz

Banned
go google you will find them, you are also saying that the PS5 SSD must be maxes out already using that demo? 1140p and full maxed streaming already with that demo
Show me that 6GB/s SDD being sold please...
I can't find it in any place.

The 970 Evo Plus peak at 3.5GB/s.

Edit - Are you not confusing with SATA 6Gb/s? That means SATA can reach max 750MB/s.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Living in denial?

there is no "pc SSD", that is fiction and/or lie.

There are SSDs, plural. So it you cant just generalize that PCs can do it 100% equally vs PS5 (or xbox SSD).

Because some PC SSDs are slow, some are average, some are fast, some are ultra fast. None are as fast as ps5 yet, but will be in next 6months or so.

So, where is your common sense that tells you: HDD -> SSD(pc) / xsex -> ps5 (at the moment) is not black and white, it is large scale of different speeds and HDD is of course the slowest, PS5 is the fastest and PC can be anything between HDD and PS5 (and above with raid setups + other rare special stuff)

my point is that currently that tech demo most likely gives most details on PS5 and Ultra-high end PCs with special setups, anything below those probably drop the details because that demo is literally about streaming assets and faster storage -> more details.

WIth your logic anything above HDD would be equal, which is just stupid.

Funny how people still want to downplay PS5 after all these months. And while it is easy to know the fact that 12 > 10, having double the bandwith for SSD turns into "it is nothing lol". I am 100 % sure that after next gen gets going, that double SSD speed is giving more noticeable results than 20% faster gpu.
No
What am saying is that it is possible on pc, I didn’t say ALL SSD. I said it is possible. In fact read the article yourself and it says the demo is achievable on today’s pcs the only bit where it says less detail is reguarding HDD. Nowhere did it say if a pc has an SSD it will also run in less detail. It also never said it will run the same detail but he said it is achievable in today’s pcs.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He really confused 6Gb/s (Gigabits) with 6GB/s (GibaBytes).

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That Barracuda SATA III 6Gb/s is slower than any recent SSD in the market from some years aready.
BTW the 6GB/s is the interface not the HDD/SSD speed.

Show me where it says that currant pc on SSD will have less detail
Already showed.

Dude, you have a super agenda going on. Everything you are saying is completely exaggerated and false.
It doesn't matter the agenda when you are stating a fact from a public Engine developers claim.

I already saw you saying it is impossible lol
Keep trying to deny Epic.

Last edited:
Also Mark Cerny said in the presentation that the PS5 ssd has the extra lanes so the PC part 7GB/s parts won’t cut it they will need to be special ps5 compatible parts that will have higher random read and write speeds like the Intel Optane drives.
These parts are currently not available for PC.

i believe Epic chose to show this system on PS5 because it looks best on PS5 when you want to get the kind of impact this has had publically you don’t show the ‘second best’ product unless it’s some marketing agreement with Sony and since Epic is a massive Microsoft supporter usually I don’t see it that way.

it is truly incredible the capacity humans have for self delusion.

Show me where it says that currant pc on SSD will have less detail

it will scale. Simply put there are no parts available on pC right now to provide the bandwidth and thus it is not possible on pc right now and therefore ANY current pc will have less detail I don’t know how you can see otherwise. The less detail might be minuscule and unnoticeable though.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Also Mark Cerny said in the presentation that the PS5 ssd has the extra lanes so the PC part 7GB/s parts won’t cut it they will need to be special ps5 compatible parts that will have higher random read and write speeds like the Intel Optane drives.
These parts are currently not available for PC.

i believe Epic chose to show this system on PS5 because it looks best on PS5 when you want to get the kind of impact this has had publically you don’t show the ‘second best’ product unless it’s some marketing agreement with Sony and since Epic is a massive Microsoft supporter usually I don’t see it that way.

it is truly incredible the capacity humans have for self delusion.

it will scale. Simply put there are no parts available on pC right now to provide the bandwidth and thus it is not possible on pc right now and therefore ANY current pc will have less detail I don’t know how you can see otherwise. The less detail might be minuscule and unnoticeable though.
How many GB/S was the demo using?

banjo5150

I lean towards Playstation, but I respect all the competition. One thing that is very very interesting to me is the different approaches Sony and Microsoft went this upcoming gen. IMO it's like Microsoft went for brute force power and Sony went for extremely fast speed.

Kind a like a bodybuilder vs an american ninja warrior. I think this is very interesting!!!!

How many GB/S was the demo using?
I’ve got no idea but the theoretical max without compression on PS5 is 5.5GB/s but then you get into the random read and write which needs more lanes and the custom I/o on the chip the off the shelf parts will need to be customised to work for ps5.

all this sounds like a fanboy post talking at the ‘secret sauce’ but I’m not putting forth my opinion im just referencing what has been said.

Max read and write speed of 7GB/s does not just mean it will work on PS5 according to what Mark Cerny said.

I’ve done some looking here are the three fastest commercially available parts I could find atm.

Max speed is 5GB/s
Gigabyte Aorus
Sabrent Rocket
Corsair Force MP600

My brothers PC is running an MP600 and i could run some benchmarks to see what kind of real world speed it can get if anyone wants.

Last edited:
Series question for the fanboys. Can someone point me towards any devs saying this isn't possible on pc? Or any quotes that say pc would get a downgraded experience from their ssd's? And lastly, how could this run on a ps5 with an aftermarket SSD? Wouldn't it not have Sony secret sauce anymore?

Chiggs

Series question for the fanboys. Can someone point me towards any devs saying this isn't possible on pc? Or any quotes that say pc would get a downgraded experience from their ssd's? And lastly, how could this run on a ps5 with an aftermarket SSD? Wouldn't it not have Sony secret sauce anymore?

Well, it was only running at 1440P, so it's totally achievable.

I’ve got no idea but the theoretical max without compression on PS5 is 5.5GB/s but then you get into the random read and write which needs more lanes and the custom I/o on the chip the off the shelf parts will need to be customised to work for ps5.

all this sounds like a fanboy post talking at the ‘secret sauce’ but I’m not putting forth my opinion im just referencing what has been said.

Max read and write speed of 7GB/s does not just mean it will work on PS5 according to what Mark Cerny said.

I’ve done some looking here are the three fastest commercially available parts I could find atm.

Max speed is 5GB/s
Gigabyte Aorus
Sabrent Rocket
Corsair Force MP600

My brothers PC is running an MP600 and i could run some benchmarks to see what kind of real world speed it can get if anyone wants.
Have any developers said PC is non existent now because consoles finally have SSD? Why are you equating that PC needs a super fast SSD to remain superior, when in actually, it doesn't? Don't you think Samsung, Intel, gigabyte, Corsair, Seagate, etc would all be flocking to releasing SSD's if this would be an absolute requirement? I'm not sure what you are trying to prove by making a false interpretation.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

The only quote on a downgrade is if the pc is using HDD and that says lower detail.

it says ps5 ssd is god tier but doesn’t say that currant available SSD’s on pc are not capable of it.

The only quote on a downgrade is if the pc is using HDD and that says lower detail.

it says ps5 ssd is god tier but doesn’t say that currant available SSD’s on pc are not capable of it.
So just prematurely ejaculating is all they are doing right now. It's funny how they think the SSD is some holy grail that adds TF's to the GPU.

But still able to do that demo at same detail and maybe higher on today’s PC’s

Seems it. The demo is very impressive and a proper show of next gen for sure, but the way everybody is speak there is no way PC or XBOX SERIES X could run it at that level of detail is laughable.
xbox x probably can pc is not so certain if we listen to the following quote
The demo is demonstrating the highest level of quality, which is available on PlayStation 5 and other next-generation hardware. Every other platform that doesn’t have these capabilities will go through a more traditional rendering pipeline, in which we’ll take these assets you’ve built and scale them down to more traditional LODs, rendering them so you can — there will be a version of this demo you could run on Android devices from three years ago. It will have much lower polygon detail, but it’ll be the same scene and you can build the same game. -venturebeat

Next gen platforms might be xbox and ps5 or might also include dx12 cards.

Show me that 6GB/s SDD being sold please...
I can't find it in any place.

The 970 Evo Plus peak at 3.5GB/s.
Honestly...I think it's highly unlikely the bandwidth of 6GB/s, even if it's not inflated a little, will actually make all that much difference. Why? Because even slower NVMe SSDs are more than fast enough to get the controller and flash modules hot enough to begin thermal throttling. There isn't an SSD on the market that can maintain its peak bandwidth indefinitely. That will doubtless be true of the SSD in the PS5...and when it does begin to throttle it still has to provide a satisfactory gaming experience.

Strange, because you seem so sure that the demo is not possible on any PC right now.. which lead me to believe you knew how many GB/S it was using.

Maybe my words sounded too ‘fact opinion’ but I did say ‘maybe the difference will be miniscule’ because it scales. I think this level of detail impossible on current PC’s and even if it’s just 5% less detail that is LESS. Will people notice that much less? Probably not but technically it’s less is all I’m saying.

Have any developers said PC is non existent now because consoles finally have SSD? Why are you equating that PC needs a super fast SSD to remain superior, when in actually, it doesn't? Don't you think Samsung, Intel, gigabyte, Corsair, Seagate, etc would all be flocking to releasing SSD's if this would be an absolute requirement? I'm not sure what you are trying to prove by making a false interpretation.

i didn’t say anything about superiority or anything like that I’m taking about streaming detail which is what this whole epic tech demo has been all about. I didn’t say anything about games not looking better on I was simply taking about industry insiders saying ps5 being the king of streaming detail at the moment. How is that not true? I mean that ‘god-tier’ statement is pretty telling don’t you think?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
xbox x probably can pc is not so certain if we listen to the following quote

Next gen platforms might be xbox and ps5 or might also include dx12 cards.
But the way people are talking here is it’s all down to the SSD, the super fast streaming. Now I know the PS5 SSD is awesome but SSD on pc and Xbox series x will run that demo as good. I mean there is no evidence that the demo is even taxing the PS5 drive so why would we think no other fast drive is capable

Maybe my words sounded too ‘fact opinion’ but I did say ‘maybe the difference will be miniscule’ because it scales. I think this level of detail impossible on current PC’s and even if it’s just 5% less detail that is LESS. Will people notice that much less? Probably not but technically it’s less is all I’m saying.

i didn’t say anything about superiority or anything like that I’m taking about streaming detail which is what this whole epic tech demo has been all about. I didn’t say anything about games not looking better on I was simply taking about industry insiders saying ps5 being the king of streaming detail at the moment. How is that not true? I mean that ‘god-tier’ statement is pretty telling don’t you think?
So why are some clueless people thinking this is impossible to do on pc? Especially from a tech demo? It would be impressive if there was actual gameplay, not just a few scenes that were carefully put together for the purpose of a tech demo.

yurinka

So your saying that it’s only capable on ps5 because of the fast SSD and wouldn’t be on Xbox or pc?
No, the Unreal Engines guys said that this was possible on PS5 because of these reasons.

They also said that Series X and next gen PCs will support that (obviously not with exactly with this detail/performance, maybe a bit better or worse depending on the case, we still don't know what impact will have the SSD speed, bandwith, etc). They also mentioned that UE5 will be able to export to current gen consoles and PCs, and even mobile phones, but obviously with these new high end features disabled.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No, the Unreal Engines guys said that this was possible on PS5 because of these reasons.

They also said that Series X and next gen PCs will support that (obviously not with exactly with this detail/performance, maybe a bit better or worse depending on the case). They also mentioned that UE5 will be able to export to current gen consoles and PCs, and even mobile phones, but obviously with these new high end features disabled.
He did say currant PC’s are capable of this demo. Obvs meaning high end

Honestly...I think it's highly unlikely the bandwidth of 6GB/s, even if it's not inflated a little, will actually make all that much difference. Why? Because even slower NVMe SSDs are more than fast enough to get the controller and flash modules hot enough to begin thermal throttling. There isn't an SSD on the market that can maintain its peak bandwidth indefinitely. That will doubtless be true of the SSD in the PS5...and when it does begin to throttle it still has to provide a satisfactory gaming experience.
ps5 has advanced innovative cooling it does not, or at least should not, suffer from such.
But the way people are talking here is it’s all down to the SSD, the super fast streaming. Now I know the PS5 SSD is awesome but SSD on pc and Xbox series x will run that demo as good. I mean there is no evidence that the demo is even taxing the PS5 drive so why would we think no other fast drive is capable
pc might run a demo, but what about a game? pc ssds are notorious for thermal throttling of performance. Both ps5 and xbox have advanced cooling for their ssds

ps5 has advanced innovative cooling it does not, or at least should not, suffer from such.

pc might run a demo, but what about a game? pc ssds are notorious for thermal throttling of performance. Both ps5 and xbox have advanced cooling for their ssds
Advanced cooling for their SSD? Didn't Series X have one 130mm fan and a heat sync for internal ssd? Ps5 couldn't be much better if it's user replaceable. PC cooling is superior to console cooling. I'm not sure where you got that misconception from lol.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

You and I know there are alsorts of cooling soloutions out there for PC’s that are way in advance of what will be on Xbox and ps5. There are pcs that are as cool as fridges and liquid cooling and alsorts.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It will be pretty worrying if the first thing we see is a tech demo that’s running at 1440p and 30fps and no ray tracing is maxing out the super fast SSD in the PS5. Are people not expecting 4k 60fps games? I mean some of the talk here that it can be done on mother hardware to the same level is just silly.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
most of that is targetting cpu and gpu, I've only seen paltry heatsinks for ssds, and not all come with such.
Where are you seeing these cooling soloutions for Xbox and ps5 ssd? There wasn’t any of Xbox tear down and nobody has seen a ps5 at all

most of that is targetting cpu and gpu, I've only seen paltry heatsinks for ssds, and not all come with such.
Simple Google search. Looks better than the heat sink in xsx, by a long shot.

ByFICht.png

Top Bottom