• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Dragon Quest V reprinted at Gamestop - available for shipping

Ibuki

Banned
I've been waiting for a mint one to come in the store used. It looks like I won't have to wait any longer, thanks for pointing this out!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I should also add that they recently reprinted Mega Man Black Ace and Red Joker. Just got one that had case and maual and saw another store with them, too.

Rocky

Banned
OP, that gamestop link is for a used copy, not a reprint. A reprint would indicate a new copy of the game.

Cartman86

Banned
How about Chapters of the Chosen Square? The one I don't have also happens to be the most expensive and the first in the series.

That's how gamestop does reprints. They did the same with Metroid trilogy.

Yep. Technically, everything is new, but, hey - let's save you five dollars and pass it off as used.

At least, that's how I imagine corporate conversations going. I'm sure it has nothing to do with gutting the copies.

Still, a great price.

How about Chapters of the Chosen Square? The one I don't have also happens to be the most expensive and the first in the series.

Not that I can see, friend. Been waiting a while for that one, and just managed to have a fellow gaffer send it to me.

I don't get it. The page doesn't say anything about it being a "reprint", just that its pre-owned, like any other used game they sell.

GS reprints games as used - they do not sell them as new, but instead inundate their stores with "used" copies as a way of hiding that these are not first-run editions.

The game wasn't available shipping for a very long time, and now it appears for shipping and is in-store with "used" copies in all the stores around me. The same situation happened with Xenoblade and Metroid Trilogy.

It does help those of us who want to play the games, but the collector's value tends to be hurt when it happens. Give and take.

Dragon Quest IV DS is much harder to find (at a reasonable price) than V. I went looking late last year and buying a new copy of Dragon Quest IV for under $50 was basically impossible. I settled for a CIB for $45 but still.

Looking at PriceCharting for some reason loose DQ5 is going for more but believe me getting a proper copy is much much harder for 4.

Mendoza

Get it. It's my favorite Dragon Quest.
Without spoiling it too much, the story progression is unlike anything I had seen until that point. It's a heartfelt, tragic, and nostalgic story that really feels complete.

And make sure you use Party Chat, because it breathes so much life into its characters.

Blues1990

Get it. It's my favorite Dragon Quest.
Without spoiling it too much, the story progression is unlike anything I had seen until that point. It's a heartfelt, tragic, and nostalgic story that really feels complete.

And make sure you use Party Chat, because it breathes so much life into its characters.

I was disappointed that the Party Chat function wasn't in the English release of 'Dragon Quest IV', which made playing the game a hallow experience for me.

I was disappointed that the Party Chat function wasn't in the English release of 'Dragon Quest IV', which made playing the game a hallow experience for me.

Which is strange, considering the pride the series takes on creating memorable party members and NPCs. Dragon Quest VIII had one of the most fun parties I remember experiencing in an RPG in a long time.

Plus, the DBZ style graphics help you expect a high level of comradeship.

LQX

If you like original boxes be wary. Last Gamestop reprints I bought came in those shitty Gamestop cases and not the original cases.

Came to say this exact thing, I expect nothing less from a man with a nekomaru avatar.

I'd love to see another game or series that did what DQV does.
:3

Another generational DQ would be sweet. I would love to see another marriage system come into play too, with some same sex choices.

I also just think it perfectly encapsulates what DQ is, and I absolutely love the character designs. Best protag design by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, and both Nera and Bianca are lovely. (I even like Deborah.)

Anjin M

I picked up as many of the DQs that I could get the first time just because I knew they would disappear. Glad everyone else will get to play.

If you like original boxes be wary. Last Gamestop reprints I bought came in those shitty Gamestop cases and not the original cases.

Yep. But for a game like this, I'm almost tempted to just tell people not to worry about the cases. It's well worth the time to play, even if the CIB collectors among us will have to suffer.

Disregarding the powerful, powerful nostalgia I have for IV (and it also being just an amazing game), V is probably the best Dragon Quest is the series, so if you missed out on it last time, please grab it now.

My favorite Dragon Quest game...Dragon Quest being one of my favorite series ever.

GET IT even if you only like RPGs a little.

Disregarding the powerful, powerful nostalgia I have for IV (and it also being just an amazing game), V is probably the best Dragon Quest is the series, so if you missed out on it last time, please grab it now.

This is rather embarrassing, but in all my years of gaming I've never played a Dragon Quest game. So I guess this isn't a bad one to start with.

I see that it also came out for the PS2. Is the DS version a graphical downgrade?

This is rather embarrassing, but in all my years of gaming I've never played a Dragon Quest game. So I guess this isn't a bad one to start with.

I see that it also came out for the PS2. Is the DS version a graphical downgrade?

The game was initially released on the SNES, so the DS version is very comparable to the PS2 version.

It takes some of the gameplay upgrades from the PS2 version as well, so this is well worth your time.

If you can, pick up IV and VI too - V is the middle of a very, very loose trilogy. After those three, play DQ VIII and enjoy what I think is the 2nd best RPG on the PS2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dragon Quest IV DS is much harder to find (at a reasonable price) than V. I went looking late last year and buying a new copy of Dragon Quest IV for under $50 was basically impossible. I settled for a CIB for $45 but still.

Looking at PriceCharting for some reason loose DQ5 is going for more but believe me getting a proper copy is much much harder for 4.

Just buy EU copies folks, they're super cheap (sub $20 new)

Top Bottom