• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Dragon Quest V reprinted at Gamestop - available for shipping

I took the chance, if it happens to not have the original case I'll just return it in store when I go and pick up minecraft for the ps4 on the 7th.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
And then buy a EU DS/3DS as well - region-locked, friend.

lolwut

Is the 3DS your first portable ever by any chance?
Region-lock started with the DSi and ONLY for the very few titles with DSi "features" and even then the region lock was only in effect when such games were played on a DSi, you could still play them on any region's DS. Also, there's no region locked DS games. I've bought the DQ's NDS trilogy, new shrink wrapped for just €30 for the lot

It works like this:

•NDS games from any region > any region NDS/DSi/3DS/new 3DS

•DSi games from any region > any region NDS > restricted to same region DSi/3DS/new 3DS

•3DS games from any region > restricted to same region 3DS/new 3DS

lolwut

Is the 3DS your first portable ever by any chance?
Region-lock started with the DSi and ONLY for the very few titles with DSi "features" and even then the region lock was only in effect when such games were played on a DSi, you could still play them on any region's DS. Also, there's no region locked DS games.

It works like this:

•NDS games from any region > any region NDS/DSi/3DS/new 3DS

•DSi games from any region > any region NDS > restricted to same region DSi/3DS/new 3DS

•3DS games from any region > restricted to same region 3DS/new 3DS

thanks for the detailed explanation - worked that one out earlier with someone else in the thread, actually.

Not a huge DS guy apart from these games, so never thought to wonder beyond the 3DS.

Same thing happened with Metroid Prime and Xenoblade.

Exactly the same. What's odd is that these games seem to be reprinted at will - I'd love to know if this reprint has anything to do with SE's need to see if an audience is there for a possible DQ VII remake.

kick51

Banned
Exactly the same. What's odd is that these games seem to be reprinted at will - I'd love to know if this reprint has anything to do with SE's need to see if an audience is there for a possible DQ VII remake.

randomly reprinting an old game without announcing anything would be a dumb sales test

but this is S-E, so you're probably right

I'm glad GS is making the games available. I'd be into these reprints more if they were sealed. It's an odd distinction. I guess it is cheaper somehow?

SoulUnison

Banned
I should also add that they recently reprinted Mega Man Black Ace and Red Joker. Just got one that had case and maual and saw another store with them, too.

...Was anyone really clamoring to play Megaman Star Force 3 in 2014?

Were they in *2009*?

Koppai

that Gamestop reprint magic.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, maybe you missed a game one time and you want it for a decent price in great condition. I don't think this would happen otherwise...

Just a note - most of the reprints have been cart only.
Oh if this is true then nevermind what I said before. If I am going to pay that much for the game I expect it to have the original box, box art, and manual, and of course the game in great condition.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, maybe you missed a game one time and you want it for a decent price in great condition. I don't think this would happen otherwise...

Oh if this is true then nevermind what I said before. If I am going to pay that much for the game I expect it to have the original box, box art, and manual, and of course the game in great condition.

Here's the thing - the Prime and Xenoblade reprints were not all disc-only, so you might have luck as well.

I mentioned it earlier too, but, worst case scenario, you can take it back within 7 days because it's not complete. But the game itself is well worth the chance.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
...Was anyone really clamoring to play Megaman Star Force 3 in 2014?

Were they in *2009*?

A reprint is a reprint (especially with box and manual). Actually I had phone calls from customers about it the day it came out (delayed shipment) and it sold out quickly...

Skeyser

I had never played a Dragon Quest game until a few weeks ago, I grabbed 4 and then 8 for android and I must say this series is pretty awesome so far. I'm hoping they'll port more games. Almost makes me want to grab a DS to play the others.

How about Chapters of the Chosen Square? The one I don't have also happens to be the most expensive and the first in the series.
The smart devices version might be worth a buy here if you can put up with the controls. Especially as those appear to have party talk.

I have a feeling that version existing has dampened demand, plus DQIV had a lot of supply back in the day (that and CT selling quite badly is the the DQV shipments were so low).

KiTA

Outside of Gamestop just making a smart business move, I wonder if this bodes well for Dragon Quest in the west. Maybe this hints at something behind the scenes? Maybe?

Also... IIRC there was a small indy company that used to do this with rare PSX games. GAmeCastleDirect or something like that? I remember they reprinted (I think?) Ogre Battle PSX on the sly, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. Does anyone remember that company?

I've always kinda wondered why there never seemed to spring up a small industry of companies reprinting say, NES or Genesis classics.

Picked it up from a local store CIB without a single fingerprint on it. I had to ask as it was in their cabinet where they keep the discs. The sticker came off like they put it on that day.

Regarding the case, I'm not sure what the difference is but it seemed like an original style case with GBA cart holder so...

^GameQuestDirect

GS reprints games as used - they do not sell them as new, but instead inundate their stores with "used" copies as a way of hiding that these are not first-run editions.

The game wasn't available shipping for a very long time, and now it appears for shipping and is in-store with "used" copies in all the stores around me. The same situation happened with Xenoblade and Metroid Trilogy.

It does help those of us who want to play the games, but the collector's value tends to be hurt when it happens. Give and take.

That's so odd, I'd imagine a used copy would be way less desirable than a legit new reprint.

So to get this right, these are reprints, but listed as "pre-owned" on the site, with pre-owned price, but game will still be new and come with an actual case? (Preferably one without a stupid price-tag stuck to it?)

My copy that I ordered came in today, and to my surprise the case, manual and everything was included and it looks completely brand new.

Top Bottom