• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Rushcube, a scam company affecting thrill seakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

Urls
http://www.rushcube.com/
http://www.newyorkcityballoonrides.com/

Wanted to start with showing url services. Rushcube uses shell front end websites to confuse users into using their service. Why? Likely because they are a known third party scam.

Reviews (2.5/10.0)
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/rushcube.com

"Scammers"
"Complete Trash"
"They are crooks"

I believe I am a smart consumer. My personal story (I'll keep it short) was booking a balloon ride for my GF and I. Younger single guys, wait some years when you are in a serious relationship and try to make fun of me then. We had never been. I shopped around and was trying to get rides closest to NYC. The first google result, the front-end shell url listed up top (shame on you google).

The rest of the offered local NJ services have websites from the 90s. So there were a few reasons how I got screwed over.
1. You are 2000-2500 feet in the air. Safety is important. I got swayed by the sharp website feeling like I was paying a premium for better service.
2. On the phone with rushcube (they don't answer the phone identifying as such), the third party rep asks for height & weight values for the participants. They also use words speaking of their pilots, engineers, etc... The call takes 5 minutes.
3. I thought this service offered a unique experience, closest to NYC avoiding airspace conflict. I got booked to a NJ ride...even though it is newyorkcityballoonrides.com.

Here's the kicker, all they do is make a phone call putting you on hold to the local services. That would be ok if the damage wasn't so high.

Actual service: $590
Rushcube: $870

That is a $280 markup for a 5 minute phone call! If you read reviews, they have been damaging people's experiences constantly. Think of all the hurt birthday presents, family events, etc... this company has hurt. Now, legally I'm sure they are sound. They have a nice no-refund clause to protect them, which at the time I didn't find an issue since I have freedom to reschedule; having a desired premium service. Only their paperwork shows rushcube, otherwise it is all smoke & mirrors.

My efforts:
1. Challenging purchase through AMEX
2. Better business bureau (pending)
3. NJ consumer affairs (pending)
4. Online email submission for shell url (done)
5. Online email submission for rushcube site (done)
6. Direct email to rushcube email (customerservice@rushcube.com)
7. Report to google (?)

Of course my messages are ignored by the rushcube. I don't even care about the money. I just want people to not get scammed by this company. I don't know how many shell sites they run (maybe detectivegaf has the research capabilities) but this company damages people's experiences.

So if you want to skydive, zipline, hang glide, work with your local services. Do not use rushcube. I'm aware that I'm sure I will be called out for being a poor consumer in this case (which is warranted to a certain degree) and that 3rd party services are just that. However, if I can save just 1 person from this trap, it will be worth the effort.

Thanks for reading

gunbo13

I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm booking a hot air balloon ride.
Skydiving, game trucks, hot air balloon ride, helicopter rides, limousines, ziplining, flight training, hang gliding, rafting, and more.
Is there no consumer protection service with which you can talk about this?
I think NJ consumer affairs is my closest idea. But I've not done more then the BBB in the past. Got western digital to send me a few raptor drives for faulty SATA connectors (they come out into non clip connectors, ouch!).

komplanen

Yeah that sucks OP :-(

Thanks for the heads up.

I read the whole OP and I'm still confused. Someone want to summarize it?

OP bought a balloon ride from a company 'B' that actually just bought the balloon ride for OP from company 'A' and charged $300 for being a middle man. Of course they didn't really advertise that they are just a middle man and OP could have just as well called company 'A' directly and saved $300.

Lagamorph

It's not really illegal to charge a mark up for providing a service though. They're basically taking advantage of people not researching or shopping around.
Kind of only yourself to blame really.

I wouldn't call it a scam, just a rip off.

Meh, I don't think you're a poor consumer. Unfortunately, people have to experience the shitty side of business transactions in order to notify the general public.

You sort of took one for the team. However, my wife and I are terrified of heights so this just adds to my list of reasons not to go hot air ballooning.

gunbo13

It's not really illegal to charge a mark up for providing a service though. They're basically taking advantage of people not researching or shopping around.

I call it closer to a scam due to the way things work. Shell websites not showing the actual company representation (I did google search reviews on the shell). Claiming on the phone about their "crew", etc...

You can call it what you'd like and I got burned, I admit it. But hopefully others don't have to. These services aren't just silly hot air balloon rides, they offer a lot of 3rd party crap. They appear to be a big rip off, as you call it, affecting a lot of people.

I bet terrisus would hate this company.

Sorry. :-D On-topic - middlemen take advantage of bad consumer practices. At least you know now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I read the whole OP and I'm still confused. Someone want to summarize it?

He used a travel agency to book a balloon ride instead of booking it directly through the balloon company and is upset that their agency fee is extremely high for doing next to nothing. Basically it's Ticketmaster but without the monopoly on the tickets.

gunbo13

I didn't realize hot air balloons now fall under the realm of thrill seeking
Debatable.

But as I keep saying, they offer a myriad of services.

Go here:
http://www.rushcube.com/

EDIT:
They have VIDEO GAME TRUCK PARTIES as well. Move to the gaming side!
He used a travel agency to book a balloon ride instead of booking it directly through the balloon company and is upset that their agency fee is extremely high. Basically it's ticketmaster.
They never identify themselves as a travel agency. They make every effort to make the consumer believe they are offering the service.

gunbo13

This doesn't sound like a scam to me. It seems you didn't look around good enough and picked a bad deal.
I looked at all the services within 100 miles. The site I ended up on was a shell front for rushcube. They represented a premium service that they don't actual offer. They just make a phone call.

It's not picking a "bad deal." It's being misled by extremely shady practices. This company hurts people, I'm not sure why that's not obvious.

A response from Rushcube in the review:

RushCube provides services nationwide and we take several steps to provide who we are to you before you purchase with our company. When you purchase we read a verbal script that you must agree to before we charge your card, we also send an invoice that fully discloses who we are as well once your purchase is complete before we charge your card. I sincerely apologize if you have felt misled. I am not able to locate an account with the first name you provided but I am more than happy to speak to you regarding any purchases you have with our company. Best Regards, Chantell 678-813-5806.

Did they read this to you before you agreed?

I looked at all the services within 100 miles. The site I ended up on was a shell front for rushcube. They represented a premium service that they don't actual offer. They just make a phone call.

It's not picking a "bad deal." It's being misled by extremely shady practices. This company hurts people, I'm not sure why that's not obvious.
Was the balloon ride any good?

gunbo13

From their Web site:

"To make that possible, RushCube specializes in bringing together adventure sports companies and people who crave adventure."

http://www.rushcube.com/about-us.php
I didn't work with rushcube. I called the number on the shell company website. I only saw rushcube on the invoice and was on the phone with the rep. So I wasn't in a spot to read website documentation on a company I thought was an invoice vendor.

Just to be clear, the only mention of rushcube was on the invoice, which I figured was their invoice vendor.

I agree with this. Seems like a shitty company but I don't see how they're doing anything that anyone can legally put a stop to.

gunbo13

Information against a company is more powerful than legal ramifications. My voice will be small but I highly dislike anti-consumer practices.

EDIT:
On a related note, they also have my name wrong on my paperwork. So there's that...

Lagamorph

He's explained it several times now, they apparently don't advertise themselves as a booking agency.
Their website makes it pretty clear to me,

Grab on and get ready to enjoy dozens of thrilling adventures with RushCube, the only resource you'll ever need for finding the most electrifying outdoor activities in the U.S. From hot-air ballooning, hang gliding and white water rafting to learning how to fly a plane, RushCube adds excitement and laughter to your life by providing convenient access to service providers specializing in over 25 different adventure sports.

Right on the front page.

gunbo13

Their website makes it pretty clear to me,

Right on the front page.
You don't use that site. You go through the shell site. RushCube does not exist until the paperwork. I can't explain it any better.

I did research after the whole billing process on rushcube since I was skeptical. For good reason.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
OP didn't realize that he was dealing with RushCube because they are shady and used another company/website to rope him in. He only found out it was RushCube when he was billed and then became suspicious (and rightfully so). This company is pretty gross.

gunbo13

Let me use an analogous process to avoid confusion.

Scenario: You live in London and want to see a local orchestra. You aren't experienced in shopping for such services.

1. Search google for "london orchestra"
2. Arrive at site "londonorchestra.com" serving the London area for Orchestra, etc...
3. You shop around at other sites but they look old, not trustworthy. You really want a premium experience for you and your significant other.
4. You end up calling the number on londonorchestra.com.
5. They company answers and takes down your information, seating, etc... They speak of their seating and service options, etc... They want your money to go to the event not misdirected.
6. They email you the paperwork. On top of the form to sign it says "musicworldwide" as a company. Remember, you are still on the phone.
7. The company appears to be either a parent or invoice vendor. Let's say you think it is the parent company, no big deal right? You have your premium service so not matter. And you can move your reservation around even if the cost is non-refundable.
8. You pay $460 for the two tickets and arrangements.
9. You hang up.
10. You receive an email from "localukmusic" confirming your reservation. Isn't this a site I passed on? And you find out the reservation is 100 miles away, not even the experience you asked for. Nor is it the experience the shell website represented.
11. You visit localukmusic.com and find the service is only $240. You overpaid drastically for another company to get off the phone, call one of the places you passed on, and book your event.
12. Start seeing how shitty musicworldwide is, reviews, etc... Do something or do nothing.

What many of you are saying is after step 7, hang up the phone and research this new company thoroughly. It is an option but I'm doubtful it is common practice.

OP didn't realize that he was dealing with RushCube because they are shady and used another company/website to rope him in. He only found out it was RushCube when he was billed and then became suspicious (and rightfully so). This company is pretty gross.
Thank you. A concise description.

gunbo13

Have you ever seen hot air balloons over nyc?
It's the view of NYC that I wanted, not over it. I understand airspace concerns. And it is called newyorkcityballoonrides.com. However, I was booked a flight 100 miles inland far into NJ. NYC has nothing to do with this.

PS though, there have been balloon rides at Central Park.

n64coder

This is similar to the Broadway tickets scan of you search on the web. You have to dig around a bit before you can figure out how to purchase from the source.

I'm confused by your experience. Your only issue is that they charged you more than you would have paid if you had gone directly to the real company?

Sites in the OP clearly state that they are affiliate sites, and this is exactly what affiliate sites do. Although normally that take a cut from the company, not the consumer, there isn't anything illegal about this. This type of thing has been around for ages and we all come across this stuff A LOT more than we think.

I'm confused by your experience. Your only issue is that they charged you more than you would have paid if you had gone directly to the real company?

Sites in the OP clearly state that they are affiliate sites, and this is exactly what affiliate sites do. Although normally that take a cut from the company, not the consumer, there isn't anything illegal about this. This type of thing has been around for ages and we all come across this stuff A LOT more than we think.

I really don't know how many times people keep repeating this.

It doesn't matter what the site says, he was never shown or saw the site before he was billed. During their conversations with him they kept talking about "their crew" as if he was talking to the hot air balloon company itself.

inb4 someone else comes saying "BUT THE SITE SAYS..."

RotBot

Let me use an analogous process to avoid confusion.

Scenario: You live in London and want to see a local orchestra. You aren't experienced in shopping for such services.

1. Search google for "london orchestra"
2. Arrive at site "londonorchestra.com" serving the London area for Orchestra, etc...
3. You shop around at other sites but they look old, not trustworthy. You really want a premium experience for you and your significant other.
4. You end up calling the number on londonorchestra.com.
5. They company answers and takes down your information, seating, etc... They speak of their seating and service options, etc... They want your money to go to the event not misdirected.
6. They email you the paperwork. On top of the form to sign it says "musicworldwide" as a company. Remember, you are still on the phone.
7. The company appears to be either a parent or invoice vendor. Let's say you think it is the parent company, no big deal right? You have your premium service so not matter. And you can move your reservation around even if the cost is non-refundable.
8. You pay $460 for the two tickets and arrangements.
9. You hang up.
10. You receive an email from "localukmusic" confirming your reservation. Isn't this a site I passed on? And you find out the reservation is 100 miles away, not even the experience you asked for. Nor is it the experience the shell website represented.
11. You visit localukmusic.com and find the service is only $240. You overpaid drastically for another company to get off the phone, call one of the places you passed on, and book your event.
12. Start seeing how shitty musicworldwide is, reviews, etc... Do something or do nothing.

What many of you are saying is after step 7, hang up the phone and research this new company thoroughly. It is an option but I'm doubtful it is common practice.

Thank you. A concise description.

I get that they're basically a scam company, but it's weird that you would agree to pay them upfront before you're even given a location and description of what you're buying.

Also, if you look at their photo gallery, it's pretty obvious there are no balloon rides happening in New York City.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
What they did may not be illegal, but it's definitely not on the up and up. I would also classify it as a scam since they blatantly misrepresented themselves.

gunbo13

I get that they're basically a scam company, but it's weird that you would agree to pay them upfront before you're even given a location and description of what you're buying.

Also, if you look at their photo gallery, it's pretty obvious there are no balloon rides happening in New York City.
As I explained, I had no expectation of flying a balloon over NYC. I was expecting the view of NYC, which is the logical take. The true location is 62 miles from NYC. Maybe you can make it out, who knows. But it is an NJ service.

I was told the balloon ride would be outside air space when I asked "how well can we see the city?" So I figured that we would be the closest possible, which may be true. But it is an NYC website, they answer my question that it would be just outside air space, so I knew the approximate location.

EDIT:
They said they would email exactly location details. No mention of another company.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They never identify themselves as a travel agency. They make every effort to make the consumer believe they are offering the service.

I wasn't arguing your point, just giving the simplest explanation to someone who asked.

RotBot

This lead generation middleman spamming that RushCube is an example of is actually a much bigger problem for finding common local services like locksmiths and has been going on in phone books long before Google came along and has been widely reported on.

For consumers, it's easier than before to figure out if you're looking at an actual local business or a fake listing because of Google street view and Yelp reviews. Although for locksmiths, it's hard to do proper research on them when you need their services the most, which is why it's one of the biggest targets for this kind of spam.

gunbo13

Thanks for all the input. All my entries to American Express, NJ customer affairs, and the BBB are finalized. Which is good news.

Now I'm just thinking of further ideas. I would like to find out other shell websites they are using (domain savy detectives, any advice appreciated) and add them to the reports. Also thinking about other areas to spread, reddit, news sites, etc... Not sure what is worth it but I'd like to cover all bases here. Any input is helpful.

It must be me getting older but I must do everything I can in opposition to these anti-consumer practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom