• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN error WS-37397-9. Banned IP?

I couldn't log in all day. When I looked up the error code (WS-37397-9) Sony's solution post in the PS forum is this:

If you are receiving error code WS-37397-9 please try the suggested steps which can be found here: https://support.us.playstation.com/scea_searchresults?lang=en_US&selStr=ws-37397-9

If this doesn't work please contact live support.

Thanks,

- SoldWalker
PlayStation Support
https://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/WS-37397-9/m-p/45559276#M154470

WS-37397-9 Error Code:

Connection Error

Suggestion 1: PSN may be offline. You can check the status of the PSN here.

Suggestion 2: If PSN is online and you receive this error, your IP address has been block for violating PlayStation Network's terms and conditions. If you believe you have been banned in error, we recommend you contact your ISP and request a new IP address. This support article has for more information on bans and suspensions.
https://support.us.playstation.com/scea_searchresults?lang=en_US&selStr=ws-37397-9

Anyone else having or have had this problem? Why would my IP be banned? And the FW was just updated a few days ago, too...
Could this be a glitch and my IP isn't banned? I don't do fishy stuff on my console. Just straight up log in and play.

This is a youtube fix using the router setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsVZqbfx-g
I don't know if this works. I'm still trying to put my finger on it.

P.S. The PS4 quick Menu screen (shown by holding down the PS button), the 'Online Status' notification says 'Checking...'. It just stays like that even after a restart.

angelic

Banned
well your ip changes (unless you specifically got a static one) so just reset your router and console.

Yeah, I got this quite often these days, never had any problem few months ago.

Just like above said, resetting your router will fix it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
well your ip changes (unless you specifically got a static one) so just reset your router and console.

It depends on the ISP. Some offer static IPs by default, so he may have one even if he didn't request it (Exetel is one such example here in Australia).

Jolkien

Some companies like the ISP I work at you have a lease for 48 hours. If you just reset the modem you will most likely get the same IP. If you change the MAC address connected to the modem you will get a new lease immediately.

I reset the router and it didn't work. What will I lose resetting the PS4? Will I lose all the digital games and have to re-d/l them again? I got around 800 gigs, man...
ANd I worry I'll reset the PS4, lose my digital library and it still wouldn't work. Now I can't re-d/l my games and at least play SP either.

angelic

Banned
you can assign a static IP (not the same as an ISP doing it but still a specific IP) by accessing your router - check what IP its on now and change it

if not, as above, time to ring the ISP and see if you are on a static one, dont stress its fixable, just some hoops to jump through.

I reset the PS4 and still didn't work. I have to fiddle with the router and/or call the ISP (which is a pain since they are slow on the phones...).
I wonder why this happened?
No Jihad in your username???
lol, no. I've had the same name and account since they started PSN in 2006.

hesido

I reset the PS4 and still didn't work. I have to fiddle with the router and/or call the ISP (which is a pain since they are slow on the phones...).
I wonder why this happened?

lol, no. I've had the same name and account since they started PSN in 2006.

To be fair, iJihad had his name for about 6 years, after which Sony decided to ban him, so the time span of the account has little to no bearing on Sony's ban hammer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I couldn't log in all day. When I looked up the error code (WS-37397-9) Sony's solution post in the PS forum is this:

Anyone else having or have had this problem? Why would my IP be banned? And the FW was just updated a few days ago, too...
Could this be a glitch and my IP isn't banned? I don't do fishy stuff on my console. Just straight up log in and play.

This is a youtube fix using the router setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsVZqbfx-g

P.S. The PS4 quick Menu screen (shown by holding down the PS button), the 'Online Status' notification says 'Checking...'. It just stays like that even after a restart.

I suffered this from time to time, OP, must have been like 4 times already in the past, with the last one back during the E3.

I did nothing, the problem corrected itself, so it must be on Sony's end. The error took 1 day, 3 days, 4 days, and the last one it took around 6 days before it corrected and the PS4 connected normally to PSN.

grimmiq

Had no issues with this for years, suddenly this year I seem to get a blocked IP 2-3 times a week. My ISP doesn't offer static IPs and the modem provided would reset it once every 4 days..so whenever it went out I had to wait 4 days for it to reset, even if I turned my modem off and left it for 20+hours.

The way I "solved" it, was go out and bought a new router and connected that to my modem/router in bridge mode, the new router has a release/renew IP button in the setup. If I get a blocked IP, log into the setup, hit the release button, wait 10mins, hit renew. If it's the same IP or another banned one (I just check it on the browser PSN store, when I get a blocked IP anything PSN related is blocked on EVERY device.) I repeat til I get another..unfortunately this one resets every 48hours, so I have to do it more often, but it's usually 10-45mins of screwing around instead of having no online for 4 days.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Happened to me before and thought it would be a good idea for a "tech help" entry in our recurring feature: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/05/26/psls-help-desk-ps4-ws-37397-9-error-fix/

From what I've read, most of Sony's fixes do NOT work for this. It's more of your router/modem's IP.

I used the easiest fix of all, which is I just changed my modem/router. Slapped the new one in, fixed it ASAP. There are more fixes in that link but more time consuming. :)

I changed one number in my IP via the router and my internet didn't work. I doubt changing a modem will get it to work. I am using a router as an access point. Changing the original modem is a no go since it is a large one with many cables that the ISP company set up for three apartments...

This just corrected itself and I'm back online. Cheesus, that gave me a scare. At least it said my IP was banned and not my account. I would be depressed if my account gets canceled seeing that I'm fully digital this gen...

To be fair, iJihad had his name for [...]

I only seen that thread about the guy's real name after replying. I thought it was a joke about having flag-able names.

And now the problem occurred again. What's going on here!

fbz_d3eaeb7ef4548fae6be8b29ebe7f78bc.jpg

I called my ISP and they said to unplug the modem for 30 min. and I'd have a new IP. I did that and my IP did in fact change. PS4 connected online right away with no problems.

I am updating this thread in case someone gets the same problem.

Ingeniero

I am getting this error since yesterday!! Noooo.
Tried the rebuild database fix, didn't work.
Also restarted módem and PS4, didn't work...

Help please.

Ponn

Banned
I called my ISP and they said to unplug the modem for 30 min. and I'd have a new IP. I did that and my IP did in fact change. PS4 connected online right away with no problems.

I am updating this thread in case someone gets the same problem.

So doing exactly what was suggested by Sony in the error code post on their forum worked. Whadda ya know.

Ingeniero

I fixed it myself, configured the connection again, with custom settings and changed the IP manually, changed the last number only, all the other numbers the same as before.
It works now -_-V

Cheers.

Bikram

My IP is banned from last 3 days. I am able to connect to psn if I use my mobile data but not through home internet. My service provider uses a static ip to give out connections to a lot of people so changing the public ip is not an option. Have mailed sony but not having much hope. Only option is to change my ISP. :(

Anyone having any other suggestions?

d9b

Banned
I'm having same problem for the last few days, usually restarting my PS4 and modem works (might take few tries sometimes).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My IP is banned from last 3 days. I am able to connect to psn if I use my mobile data but not through home internet. My service provider uses a static ip to give out connections to a lot of people so changing the public ip is not an option. Have mailed sony but not having much hope. Only option is to change my ISP. :(

Happened to me a few times this year.

What did I do to fix it? Nothing. It fixed itself. Sometimes a day. Last time it happened it was 2 days.

The longest I had to wait before the issue resolved itself was 6 days.

Bikram

I'm having same problem for the last few days, usually restarting my PS4 and modem works (might take few tries sometimes).

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried it several times but doesn't help. I believe that is because I never get a new public ip

00ich

Maybe you just keep a static IP if you stay connected? Then there would be an amount of time you need to unplug your modem before you get a new IP.
Ask your ISP or look it up on the internet. "DHCP lease time" is the technical term.

Bikram

Happened to me a few times this year.

What did I do to fix it? Nothing. It fixed itself. Sometimes a day. Last time it happened it was 2 days.

The longest I had to wait before the issue resolved itself was 6 days.

Did you notice, whether your IP changed?

Maybe you just keep a static IP if you stay connected? Then there would be an amount of time you need to unplug your modem before you get a new IP.
Ask your ISP or look it up on the internet. "DHCP lease time" is the technical term.

I know my IP is not changing as my provider assigns a static public IP. I know the easiest fix is to just get a new public IP by resetting the router or calling up the ISP. But in my case I can't get a new public IP since it's static.

d9b

Banned
So would setting up connection manually on PS4 help in any way, or is this the problem on internet provider / Sony's end?

Bikram

So would setting up connection manually on PS4 help in any way, or is this the problem on internet provider / Sony's end?

This is just Sony or their security partner Prolexic blacklisting the IP address thinking it is a ddos attack offender. Until they remove the ban or you use a different IP address, you will not be able to connect to any PSN services on any device.

jsnepo

This is why I have a script that randomize my router's WAN MAC so it gets a new IP address everytime it reboots regardless of how long the lease time is.

d9b

Banned
This is just Sony or their security partner Prolexic blacklisting the IP address thinking it is a ddos attack offender. Until they remove the ban or you use a different IP address, you will not be able to connect to any PSN services on any device.
I see. Thanks! Last few days were problematic but yesterday was fine for me, I hope it stays that way.

Voidance

I've been having this issue for the last 4 days. I contacted support for PSN and Comcast (my ISP) and neither have been helpful. PSN told me to contact my ISP for a new IP; Comcast said I have to get ahold of Motorola (my modem manufacturer) for a new IP which sounds like crap. As my router login credentials seem to incorrect, I guess I have to do a factory reset.

Thanks, Sony.

I've been having this issue for the last 4 days. I contacted support for PSN and Comcast (my ISP) and neither have been helpful. PSN told me to contact my ISP for a new IP; Comcast said I have to get ahold of Motorola (my modem manufacturer) for a new IP which sounds like crap. As my router login credentials seem to incorrect, I guess I have to do a factory reset.

Thanks, Sony.

lol wtf is that

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Thanks, Sony.

That's the point where I closed out my chat session with the CSR.

On the evening of August 11th this happened to me again, which makes it around 7 to 8 times this has happened to me this year. I EXPLODED at Twitter tagging both @Playstation and @AskPlaystation using so many cuss words because I was so angry this has happened to me so many times.

I put up a screenshot of the Internet Connection status in my PS4 complaining in very strong terms about how bullshit it was that PSN blocked my IP so I couldn't log on to PSN although I am a legit user of PSN and PS+. Like, very rude words, since I was so angry.

And whaddyaknow, on the very next morning the issue resolved itself, lol. Usually it took 2-3 days and once even 6 days to be resolved, but this was very fast. I didn't get any reply but I'd like to believe that someone at @Playstation or @AskPlaystation saw my screenshot and forwarded my IP to be unbanned by the folks that do the IP banning.

It may be just a coincidence, but I just like to think it that way.

SRTtoZ

Usually turning off your router for 10-15 minutes changes your IP so you should try that and in the future stop flashing your dick on UNO.

Voidance

Usually turning off your router for 10-15 minutes changes your IP so you should try that and in the future stop flashing your dick on UNO.
I left my modem and router unplugged for an hour while I ran an errand this evening to no avail. I did this before contacting support.

As for not flashing during UNO... I can't make any promises. :^)

On the evening of August 11th this happened to me again, which makes it around 7 to 8 times this has happened to me this year. I EXPLODED at Twitter tagging both @Playstation and @AskPlaystation using so many cuss words because I was so angry this has happened to me so many times.

I put up a screenshot of the Internet Connection status in my PS4 complaining in very strong terms about how bullshit it was that PSN blocked my IP so I couldn't log on to PSN although I am a legit user of PSN and PS+. Like, very rude words, since I was so angry.

And whaddyaknow, on the very next morning the issue resolved itself, lol. Usually it took 2-3 days and once even 6 days to be resolved, but this was very fast. I didn't get any reply but I'd like to believe that someone at @Playstation or @AskPlaystation saw my screenshot and forwarded my IP to be unbanned by the folks that do the IP banning.

It may be just a coincidence, but I just like to think it that way.
I guess if I get PSN withdrawals, I will make a Twitter account and get belligerent. I kinda hoped there would be a more established (dare I say civilized) way for Sony to fix this?

Excuse the old bump, but the same thing just happened to me, and after 2 hours of trying to figure out a workaround, I ended up changing the last character in my MAC address, unplugging my router and modem for a bit, plugging them back in, and I now have an IP address that isn't banned.

I have no idea why my IP address was banned in the first place. I have no way to find out why it was banned.

This is the first time I've had this happen to me with PSN. I haven't played my PS4 in a few months, started playing Destiny again a couple days ago, and tried to play again earlier today while WoW was down for maintenance, only to run into a connection error. Checked PSN, checked third-party websites to see what the deal was. It took me going into the error history of my PS4 to find this code popping up. And it's not even specific either. It's, "either PSN is down, or you're IP banned".

Paying $60 a year for a service that can IP ban you for no reason, provide no workaround, and then a support team who tells you to contact your IP, despite it being their own DDOS provider that's the issue.

I'm almost sure the issue was my brother trying to sign into my PSN on the PS3 in the other room, and not knowing my password, running into a bunch of incorrect password attempts. But that's why I have 2-step authentication, Sony. Don't ban my own IP for someone on that IP incorrectly guessing my account's password, when there's a second wall of security right behind that.

What the fuck.

Iorv3th

Excuse the old bump, but the same thing just happened to me, and after 2 hours of trying to figure out a workaround, I ended up changing the last character in my MAC address, unplugging my router and modem for a bit, plugging them back in, and I now have an IP address that isn't banned.

I have no idea why my IP address was banned in the first place. I have no way to find out why it was banned.

This is the first time I've had this happen to me with PSN. I haven't played my PS4 in a few months, started playing Destiny again a couple days ago, and tried to play again earlier today while WoW was down for maintenance, only to run into a connection error. Checked PSN, checked third-party websites to see what the deal was. It took me going into the error history of my PS4 to find this code popping up. And it's not even specific either. It's, "either PSN is down, or you're IP banned".

Paying $60 a year for a service that can IP ban you for no reason, provide no workaround, and then a support team who tells you to contact your IP, despite it being their own DDOS provider that's the issue.

I'm almost sure the issue was my brother trying to sign into my PSN on the PS3 in the other room, and not knowing my password, running into a bunch of incorrect password attempts. But that's why I have 2-step authentication, Sony. Don't ban my own IP for someone on that IP incorrectly guessing my account's password, when there's a second wall of security right behind that.

What the fuck.

Only thing I can think of is that someone on your ISP got IP banned for modded PS3 or something. Then once an IP address expires and isn't renewed (basically what you did with your router) after a set amount of time that goes back into the list of IP addresses to assign people. So you may have just gotten assigned an IP address that was already banned by someone that previously had that address.

I would change your MAC address back though.

Only thing I can think of is that someone on your ISP got IP banned for modded PS3 or something. Then once an IP address expires and isn't renewed (basically what you did with your router) after a set amount of time that goes back into the list of IP addresses to assign people. So you may have just gotten assigned an IP address that was already banned by someone that previously had that address.

That's what I was assuming, that because they dynamically cycle through IPs, I just got unlucky and was handed one that had been banned. Hopefully that's the case. As the alternative is something along the lines of one of the devices on this network having a virus on it that managed to cause Sony's DDOS service to think I'm worthwhile to blacklist.

I'm unfamiliar with what my MAC address even means. Why should I change it back (genuinely curious)? I won't receive that banned IP address if I do revert the MAC address back, will I? Or does a MAC address change just trigger an IP address change, and I'll just receive some other IP?

anothertech

Bunch make hackers in here eh? :D

Glad you found a fix. Haven't run into this personally. Wonder why they ban ip's instead of just accounts.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Thanks, Sony.

That's total crap. I assume Comcast should be able to do a force release on your public IP so the MX/ERX will give you a new public IP, unless they use static IPs.

Reverting to my default MAC address handed me back the banned IP address.

:/

nadozza

That's what I was assuming, that because they dynamically cycle through IPs, I just got unlucky and was handed one that had been banned. Hopefully that's the case. As the alternative is something along the lines of one of the devices on this network having a virus on it that managed to cause Sony's DDOS service to think I'm worthwhile to blacklist.

This actually happened to me. A family members computer had malware targeting PSN. Got IP banned from PSN. Sony sent an email to my ISP who then forwarded it to me indicating the situation and blacklist. I was actually impressed, I corresponded back with my ISP after finding the machine and the situation got resolved.

grimmiq

I never used to get this problem, now I get it 2-3 times a week. Bought a new router with a "release/renew ip" feature, so whenever it happens I release, wait 15-20mins, renew and it usually fixes it .A little simpler than having to power off the modem. Annoying as hell though, if I plan to play anything online I basically have to check if I can connect 30mins beforehand.

This actually happened to me. A family members computer had malware targeting PSN. Got IP banned from PSN. Sony sent an email to my ISP who then forwarded it to me indicating the situation and blacklist. I was actually impressed, I corresponded back with my ISP after finding the machine and the situation got resolved.
I'll know for sure if this IP ends up getting banned as well.

It would certainly help if I knew when I was given the previous IP I was given, so I could know if it was banned while I had it, or if I'd just been given a previously banned IP.

Edit: Just happened to my new IP, so it's malware on one of the devices on this network. Now the fun part begins where I get to run virus scans on all the devices and figure out which family member fucked up.

Top Bottom