• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN error WS-37397-9. Banned IP?

Panda Rin

Receiving this error as well. I'm in a on shared wi-fi network in Vietnam though, so my options are extremely limited.

Been here for about 2 months now, but didn't do much of anything. Downloaded the Builders demo and some PS+ games.

demonkaze

Thought this was fixed for me as it's been working for a day or so and it's back again. I am so sick of this at this point, I have no idea what I can do. Recently got PSVR, a pro, TVs and loads of digital content and can't even access the PSN!

platocplx

Thought this was fixed for me as it's been working for a day or so and it's back again. I am so sick of this at this point, I have no idea what I can do. Recently got PSVR, a pro, TVs and loads of digital content and can't even access the PSN!

Receiving this error as well. I'm in a on shared wi-fi network in Vietnam though, so my options are extremely limited.

Been here for about 2 months now, but didn't do much of anything. Downloaded the Builders demo and some PS+ games.

Its probably how your ISP assigns IP addresses. look into seeing if your provider uses something called CGNAT

firelogic

Funny how Sony shifts the blame on the ISP by telling you to call them to get a new IP. A lot of ISPs work off a DHCP server so they can't just magically give you a new IP. Even if you release your IP and without renewing, restart the modem, you'll most likely get your IP back. The only sure-fire way to get a new IP in that case is to change your MAC ID and the easiest way for a lay person to do that is to exchange your modem.

Happened to me too on Virgin Media. No idea why my ip was blocked and could never get it resolved. Virgin don't give out new ip addresses for obvious reasons. Ended up having to buy a new modem\router to get a new one. It's really put me off Sony that they can just cut you off like that when you're paying for their service.

demonkaze

Happened to me too on Virgin Media. No idea why my ip was blocked and could never get it resolved. Virgin don't give out new ip addresses for obvious reasons. Ended up having to buy a new modemrouter to get a new one. It's really put me off Sony that they can just cut you off like that when you're paying for their service.

Did you get a new Virgin hub and if so how? I got the D-Link AC3200 and it gave me a new IP initially and then after a day I was banned again.

Did you get a new Virgin hub and if so how? I got the D-Link AC3200 and it gave me a new IP initially and then after a day I was banned again.

I got a new ip by putting the virgin hub into modem mode and hooking up a new router to that.

If you're still getting blocked with a new ip then there might be something going on on your network that they're detecting. Are you running a vpn on anything? I suspected that might have been what triggered my initial block.

demonkaze

So I just switched my cables out of the D link router and back into my virgin media and it's working again. One thing to note is that my PCs aren't hooked up to it at the moment so I'm wondering if the problem is from my PC? I've already done virus checks and malicious tool remover and nothing came up. Any other checks I can run?

I'm getting this error as well.

Pretty sure it's the PSN.

Chunghua Telecom in Taiwan here.

jae

Was getting constant ws-37432-9 errors on my old isp. Rebooting the router always fixed it.

Yesterday I got a new isp and a pro. Worked fine. Was happy to finally be past that annoyance.
Today ws-37432-9. Rebooted and reset multiple times. Can't sign in to psn. Really frustrating.

Tokyo, so-net. Yes. The Sony isp.

Panda Rin

Two weeks in and problem still persists..can't do much on my end right now. Living in a studio with shared wi-fi across the entire building, which might be the problem..asked the ISP, can't do a thing about it. Seems to be a common problem in Vietnam based on a few other posts.

Gonna just wait it out and hope for the best - still really sucks though. No motivation right now to buy or play anything - just gaming on Steam now.

KaoteK

Two weeks in and problem still persists..can't do much on my end right now. Living in a studio with shared wi-fi across the entire building, which might be the problem..asked the ISP, can't do a thing about it. Seems to be a common problem in Vietnam based on a few other posts.

Gonna just wait it out and hope for the best - still really sucks though. No motivation right now to buy or play anything - just gaming on Steam now.

I feel your pain man, it sucks balls. I ended up having to go back to my old ISP to fix it despite having paid in advance for my other isp. Interestingly I'm in Cambodia, the isp I have that doesn't work is Cambodian, and the one that works is Vietnamese (Opennet)

Hope you get sorted, take it from me, Sony support are fucking useless concerning this issue.

Edit: I really wish someone with a voice could signal boost this problem, it's unbelievable Sony can do this to people.

Yeah Akamai Prolexic (not Sony) is sucks. We dont know when they release IP address from ban list, and their anti-DDoS system is too harsh. Legitimate IPs recognized as attack IP... :(

I got this error starting of Friday. I was hoping reseting/restarting the router would fix it but it has not. Did a chat with some Playstation Support, but told me what I already knew. Couldn't even tell me what the supposed violation of TOS was and said my ISP was provided details.

I guess I will finally have to suck it up and call Cox when I get some free time today to see if they can reset my IP address as that may be the only way to handle it.

This practice is kinda insulting. I cannot even access the store.playstation.com address from my laptop. I guess it gave me an excuse to play some Splatoon with weekend.

Edit: I really wish someone with a voice could signal boost this problem, it's unbelievable Sony can do this to people.

That sure would be nice.

*edit* Cox couldn't help me. They told me about being on one of the IP ban list and it corresponds to my problems starting. I emailed them and I hope that resolves the issue.

I am gonna send a nasty email over to Sony just to give them a piece of my mind.

Oh wow, did I not end up posting that factory resetting my router and placing a better password on it ended up permanently solving the issue for me?

KaoteK

Oh wow, did I not end up posting that factory resetting my router and placing a better password on it ended up permanently solving the issue for me?

Huh, I'll try that, but given my router is brand new, I doubt it'll make a difference. I noticed the other day that things have changed slightly. Before it'd be that when you went to the store on PC it'd say "service unavailable"

Now though, I can see the store, I log in, get my 2fa code, and then it says "unable to log you in"

At first I shit myself thinking I'd been "hacked" but no, as soon as I switched to my unbanned isp it was fine.

JP

I'm just going to post this here for people who are having IP issues and suspect that the IP their being given is on a blacklist. Just click on the Blacklist Check and it will tell not only if it is blacklisted but also which company it is that's doing this to you.

Some companies will actually allow you remove your IP from their blacklist.

I'd also recommend that people check their computers if they're having issues with being blacklisted as it could actually be your computer causing the issue without you realising. Make sure everything is up to date on your network and run an full virus check on any computers using your network.

Ensure that there are no unwelcome devices using your network and do everything you can to stop that from happening by using a secure WiFi password and secure encryption protocol, such as WPA2-PSK.

http://whatismyipaddress.com

DeviantBoi

That's a really bad solution that shouldn't be necessary. Two days with no modem or wifi in the house? Eff that noise.

After a couple of days of not being able to play and not getting anywhere with Sony or my provider, one day without Internet was worth it to be able to play again.

KaoteK

Agreed. Have anyone tell him yet?

I tweeted Jim a few times about it but got no response, I've been thinking an email is probably a better way of letting him know about it though so maybe I'll try that.

I also emailed Honour The Call (the dude who broke the CSGO Lotto story) he replied saying he might make a video about it but no promises, so we'll see.

KaoteK

Have any of you tried setting up a proxy/vpn to confirm if it's actually an IP ban?

Well I have two ISPs (because of this problem)
One works fine, the other not at all (I have a list of IPs that don't work on the ISP that doesn't work) so yeah they are banning IPs.

I've run into the WS-37397-9 issue a bunch of times and after a month of frustration and repeated contacts with Sony and my ISP, I eventually applied somewhat of a recommended solution for this, though this requires you have access to the modem.

I have put my modem into Bridge Mode, which I had to do via my ISP for my modem model. This disables the wireless network if you have that capability, and it disables all ethernet ports except 1. Connect that port with a cable to a (wireless) router capable of changing/masking it's WAN MAC Address. And then use your normal network setup using that router as base.

Now confirm if you have access to PSN, if yes then enjoy. If you don't or somehow you get the WS-37397-9 error again, change the WAN MAC Address on your router and restart it. You should have access to PSN again unless your ISP owns only an IP Range that it either doesn't support or secretly blacklisted it.

Most notably, every once in a while I get the WS-37397-9 error again and it's because my ISP changed my IP again. Strangely enough, the bad IPs all range between 200.*.*.* - 225.*.*.*.

While the person I talked to said to me that they don't ban IPs, this definitely puts some doubt in mind.

I don't know what exactly fixed it, but I was able to get on PSN on all my devices when I got home today.

The two IP blocklists I contacted were

http://www.abuseat.org/
https://www.spamhaus.org/

Make sure you run antivirus/antimalware on any devices on your network first just in case there is something and you get put on there again.

I don't know if it had any impact, but I changed my PSN password when I was at work as someone said they were able to get on after changing the password in some random forum post I read.

I am unsure if it is just a bot or what, but the @askplaystation twitter account just tweets out the same annoying thing

@randomperson Let's look into it. Check out the next article to troubleshoot the error WS-37397-9: http://tinyurl.com/hu9vj92

The link is of no help and the account has tweeted it for almost everyday for a couple of months. They HAVE to be aware that the issue is present for none TOS violations. They HAVE to be aware that ISPs have not been forwarded more information about the issue despite what the support chat tells most people. It is passing the buck for what appears to be sony using IP blacklists without telling people about it or how they can resolve it.

Finally got to get some games of SFV in though and earned some fight money so I was able to get some of my frustrations out.

demonkaze

This is ridiculous, I have it back again. I managed to have it on for 2 days this time before it gave me the error again. I'm so sick of this, it's complete bullshit. You spend all this money and get this for doing nothing wrong at all, don't think I'll be renewing my PS+. The worst thing is, there's nothing at all I can do!

Panda Rin

Yeah, contacted support and they're of no use - probably the most frustrating video-game related thing I've dealt with. 3 weeks with no PSN, PS+ sub and would've bought a few games if I wasn't so unsure about its future.

It can still patch games luckily, but no online - was looking forward to play FFXV, but not going to invest in that until this gets fixed.

ratsuki

My condolences, op. If you're out of luck you can only learn to live with it, like me. Cause even if you can connect eventually the problem will come back. I have this problem since december last year. It affect so many people there's petition for sony to fix it but for the whole year sony didn't care.

The theory I see thrown around is some provider assign same public IP for a bunch of their customers. When we all tried to connect to PSN, sony register it as DDOS. Rather than analyze it properly they simply ban us altogether.

Now I can only connect like once every other month if I'm lucky.

I just tried to open the PS store and got this error message.

I can't even see a renew IP in my router settings and changing the IP in the ps4 settings did nothing.

It was working fine last week wtf Sony?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

My IP address has been banned and un-banned repeatedly over the course of the last year. My public IP has never changed, despite my ISP confirming that I have a dynamic IP. I'm assuming that my IP address has been added to a black list, then removed? Then added again? Back and forth over time.

I called my ISP and they told me that my IP would not reset via unplugging my router and that the lease on the IP address can last anywhere from a couple weeks to months. He also informed me that they cannot (or will not) change my public facing IP from their end.

Am I basically screwed then? Surely there's something I can do to change my IP address? I doubt Sony will do anything.

ViolentP

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

My IP address has been banned and un-banned repeatedly over the course of the last year. My public IP has never changed, despite my ISP confirming that I have a dynamic IP. I'm assuming that my IP address has been added to a black list, then removed? Then added again? Back and forth over time.

I called my ISP and they told me that my IP would not reset via unplugging my router and that the lease on the IP address can last anywhere from a couple weeks to months. He also informed me that they cannot (or will not) change my public facing IP from there end.

Am I basically screwed then? Surely there's something I can do to change my IP address? I doubt Sony will do anything.

Your ISP is the only one that can negotiate a changing of your gateway ip. This begs the question though, why the constant banning and unbanning of your ip?

Your ISP is the only one that can negotiate a changing of your gateway ip. This begs the question though, why the constant banning and unbanning of your ip?

It's a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I don't use cheating software and I'm not a #hacker. I don't even download music illegally. My computers are all clean according to my anti virus software. My only guess is maybe a family member is doing something untoward? However I have assurances that they are doing nothing out of the ordinary. I've never had this happen before I moved in to my new place. However it's a brand new building, never had internet before me, so I don't think it was a historical reason.

If I could pinpoint a particular reason, I'd had fixed the problem by now. I guess I'll be playing PC games from now on. Or Nintendo games, or Xbox. PSN is the only one I'm having issues with.

ViolentP

It's a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I don't use cheating software and I'm not a #hacker. I don't even download music illegally. My computers are all clean according to my anti virus software. My only guess is maybe a family member is doing something untoward? However I have assurances that they are doing nothing out of the ordinary. I've never had this happen before I moved in to my new place. However it's a brand new building, never had internet before me, so I don't think it was a historical reason.

If I could pinpoint a particular reason, I'd had fixed the problem by now. I guess I'll be playing PC games from now on. Or Nintendo games, or Xbox. PSN is the only one I'm having issues with.

Does the building provide internet?

Also, you mention the previous bans. Who did the banning? Was it PSN or is your ip on an internet blacklist?

Does the building provide internet?

Also, you mention the previous bans. Who did the banning? Was it PSN or is your ip on an internet blacklist?

I'm actually in a mobile home, so it's my internet.

I've never received a ban notice from PSN, only the error code when I'd go to use my PS4. So my assumption is I was placed on some blacklist that Sony's security team uses. If I go to a listing of blacklists, my IP clears all except like 2 of em.

nadozza

I'm actually in a mobile home, so it's my internet.

I've never received a ban notice from PSN, only the error code when I'd go to use my PS4. So my assumption is I was placed on some blacklist that Sony's security team uses. If I go to a listing of blacklists, my IP clears all except like 2 of em.

Sony won't personally notify you of being added to a blacklist since you don't own the IP, your ISP does. If you are indeed using the same IP then something somewhere is being triggered as a threat to PSN, causing them to block your IP. They typically send your ISP a message indicating this, so your ISP might be able to provide some insight for you as mine did. They do unban IPs when an all-clear is given but that's between your ISP and Sony, all you can do is prove that your end is absolutely clean and correspond with your ISP to resolve the situation.

Sony won't personally notify you of being added to a blacklist since you don't own the IP, your ISP does. If you are indeed using the same IP then something somewhere is being triggered as a threat to PSN, causing them to block your IP. They typically send your ISP a message indicating this, so your ISP might be able to provide some insight for you as mine did. They do unban IPs when an all-clear is given but that's between your ISP and Sony, all you can do is prove that your end is absolutely clean and correspond with your ISP to resolve the situation.

Thanks, I'll give my ISP another shout and see what I can't find out.

Thanks for the quick replies folks, appreciate it.

wow, I thought I would have to bump this thread but there have been posts in this thread already today.

This happened to me too. What the fuck do I do?

I signed up for a live chat just waiting...is the chat supposed to pop up by itself?

Iorv3th

I'm just going to post this here for people who are having IP issues and suspect that the IP their being given is on a blacklist. Just click on the Blacklist Check and it will tell not only if it is blacklisted but also which company it is that's doing this to you.

Some companies will actually allow you remove your IP from their blacklist.

I'd also recommend that people check their computers if they're having issues with being blacklisted as it could actually be your computer causing the issue without you realising. Make sure everything is up to date on your network and run an full virus check on any computers using your network.

Ensure that there are no unwelcome devices using your network and do everything you can to stop that from happening by using a secure WiFi password and secure encryption protocol, such as WPA2-PSK.

http://whatismyipaddress.com

I don't know what exactly fixed it, but I was able to get on PSN on all my devices when I got home today.

The two IP blocklists I contacted were

http://www.abuseat.org/
https://www.spamhaus.org/

Make sure you run antivirus/antimalware on any devices on your network first just in case there is something and you get put on there again.

I don't know if it had any impact, but I changed my PSN password when I was at work as someone said they were able to get on after changing the password in some random forum post I read.

I am unsure if it is just a bot or what, but the @askplaystation twitter account just tweets out the same annoying thing

The link is of no help and the account has tweeted it for almost everyday for a couple of months. They HAVE to be aware that the issue is present for none TOS violations. They HAVE to be aware that ISPs have not been forwarded more information about the issue despite what the support chat tells most people. It is passing the buck for what appears to be sony using IP blacklists without telling people about it or how they can resolve it.

Finally got to get some games of SFV in though and earned some fight money so I was able to get some of my frustrations out.

I did not, I bought it from Amazon, but funny you should mention eBay because I can't go to that website either.

wtf is this?

Look at the two posts I quoted above you. They might have the solution if you were added to a blacklist if a device on your network is compromised. (might be part of a botnet or something).

Look at the two posts I quoted above you. They might have the solution if you were added to a blacklist if a device on your network is compromised. (might be part of a botnet or something).

Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. So I am stuck no longer able to use PsN or eBay as long as I fucking live here?

I had this happen when I was screwing around with a VPN on the PS Store. Pretty sure I just reset my entire IP manually by 1 number and gave the PS4 a new one. Error went away.

Panda Rin

Problem still persists...ugh, with all of these new releases in Q1, have to get this shit working. I can't even access the PSN store on my laptop via this IP.

Top Bottom