• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game Derrick the Deathfin sells less than 5,000 units at a loss

Yeah, Steam and iOS aren't the saviors for indie developers that a lot of people make them out to be. Some developers have had more success through Steam than other services, it doesn't happen for everyone.

I am stunned The Oil Blue is not yet on Steam.

eh I'm not. it's possibly the most boring concept for a game in the history of gaming. like, it's even too boring to buy for the sake of it showing up in your activity stream for your friends to laugh at.

and drilling for oil? really? perhaps I'll play it in between sessions of that game about shooting endangered animals for their furs.

Takao

Banned
I hope all those iOS/Steam people in this topic read that. It sold as much on iOS as on the almost dead WiiWare (by that time) and that is comparing worldwide iOS sales to American WiiWare sales.

Those iOS sales are nearly 2 years worth of it too. Derrick on PSN sold more in 1 month. but i thought ios is the indie savior

No platform is an indie savior if you don't tell people your game exists.

Zarx

I hope all those iOS/Steam people in this topic read that. It sold as much on iOS as on the almost dead WiiWare (by that time) and that is comparing worldwide iOS sales to American WiiWare sales.

And the iOS version still made more money as they will likely never see anything from Nintendo...

Game looked like a lot of TLC went in to it, and it actually didn't fare too badly in reviews either. I might actually pick it up on the basis of this - poor guy tried to do something innovative and got personally financially slammed.

Funny though - the blog did dedicate a dev video to him. Seems like it just didn't speak to people.

Yeah, Steam and iOS aren't the saviors for indie developers that a lot of people make them out to be. Some developers have had more success through Steam than other services, it doesn't happen for everyone.

that's not why it's a better place for Indies. the fact that you can make games for steam and Android without paying Sony $1200 for a ps3 dev kit is a pretty big plus for low cost development, don't you think?

I pay attention to the PSBlog and look at every store update post, and the name made the game sound like a kid's game. I honestly thought it was one of those edutainment games, or some kind of kid's cartoon tie-in. The art style was interesting, though.

The indie scene is FAR more oversaturated than the AAA scene, and that is saying a lot. Many out there losing their wallets, but it's a whimper in a thunderstorm. Nobody hears them.

that's not why it's a better place for Indies. the fact that you can make games for steam and Android without paying Sony $1200 for a ps3 dev kit is a pretty big plus for low cost development, don't you think?

Of course. But I was commenting on the idea that if it's on Steam or mobile then the developer will be fine, which is not always true. If I were developing a game on PC/Mac/Linux I'd be thinking about all of the other services. GOG, Desura, Indievania, and if it ends up on Steam then great.

There's never any guarantees of success but I see the allure if getting your game on a service like PSN or XBLA. Even if it cost me more out of my own pocket I'd honestly be tempted to do the same.

Of course. But I was commenting on the idea that if it's on Steam or mobile then the developer will be fine, which is not always true. If I were developing a game on PC/Mac/Linux I'd be thinking about all of the other services. GOG, Desura, Indievania, and if it ends up on Steam then great.

There's never any guarantees of success but I see the allure if getting your game on a service like PSN or XBLA. Even if it cost me more out of my own pocket I'd honestly be tempted to do the same.

ah right, obviously :)

as for your other comment, that's a shame really. psn and live do almost nothing to promote your game and charge you for the privilege, so I think the "allure" you alluded to is based more on your personal biases than anything concrete.

ah right, obviously :)

as for your other comment, that's a shame really. psn and live do almost nothing to promote your game and charge you for the privilege, so I think the "allure" you alluded to is based more on your personal biases than anything concrete.

Yeah, it's the whole thought of "awesome, I made a game that's on a console" that I'm sure a lot of developers wish for but is not always financially feasible.

Joni

And the iOS version still made more money as they will likely never see anything from Nintendo...
True, but that has something to do with the strange choices of Nintendo and less with the iOS/WiiWare viability comparison. He wouldn't have gotten a lot of them anyway, it was done by another studio.

Agent X

I watched a portion of Derrick the Deathfin being played on the PSN Stores Webcast a few weeks ago. I thought the game looked good, with an appealing art style.

I don't think the game was promoted very well, though. They did have a fewposts on the PlayStation.Blog leading up to release, but that's about it. A playable demo might have spurred a great deal more interest.

The game also had the misfortune of being released on an extremely busy PSN week. I had purchased several games that week (Retro City Rampage, Joe Danger 2, SunFlowers), and didn't really have room on my plate for anything else.

Speevy

Banned
I bought the game even though the damage has already been done, and I have to say that the game is fun.

However, I don't think this gameplay concept is something that has a lot of longevity.

I decided to break my non-console-DD embargo and pick it up last night to support the dev.

Played it for an hour or so, but the game doesn't really click with me. For one, the art style lends itself to exploration but I can't do that in the game as I have a time limit artificially imposed on me where if I don't eat within 10 seconds or so, I die, so I'm constantly having to push forward looking for food to stay alive.

I also found the controls a little hit and miss and quite often struggled trying to jump out of the water to collect things.

I'm glad I was able to offer support to a dev trying new things, but apart from the quirky style, the game is a sold 5/10 IMHO.

I had never heard of this before.

Graphically, the game looks great, but, judging from the trailer, there might not be much to the actual gameplay. I would like to be wrong.

Duffyside

Banned
I found this game to be pretty charming. Do not regret my purchase.

Still, five bucks on PC seems like the sweet spot to me (was only $8 on PSN, $6 with Plus, I believe). Hope it sells.

OnPoint

I had never heard of this before.

Graphically, the game looks great, but, judging from the trailer, there might not be much to the actual gameplay. I would like to be wrong.

It's not a super in-depth game -- you're basically swimming around and collecting items the whole time, or trying to get through a level in a certain amount of time. Not much more to it than that at all. But it's a lot of fun and deserves more attention than it's getting.

So they can sell 12 copies?

That's like a solid $83 dollars after Sony's cut

giantbombawesomeg0jj4.gif

Carl

Apparently it's done a lot better recently and they're considering a sequel.

PS3 version is currently discounted on PS+ too

Neo C.

As others said before, go multiplat as much as possible is the only way to go. Sure, the devs still need to invest time for the port, but going multiplat on DD is much safer than retail.

Why would you ONLY release your indie project on PSN is beyond me.

And "Derrick The Deathfin" sounds like the kinda fluff that would be perfect for iOS.

I'm told its been developed with UNITY so quick ports to other platforms should be easy to do.

I'm friends with one of Gordon's friends, I shall reach out to him and see what can be done :(

Duxxy3

wrong thread

for this thread though - indie devs need to not fall in love with a single platform. getting stuck on one seriously limits your audience.

phil fish found this out last year.

So what has caused the great DD game sales collapse over the last year or two?

PSN and XBLA games dont seem to be doing that hot.

Is it the rise of Steam?

General public disinterest in console platforms?

PlayStation Plus making buying new games seem dumb?

MS burying games on the 360 dash in favour of mountain dew adverts?

All the above?

Outside of Minecraft and Journey I havent seen a lot of people happy with there sales the last year.

Then in this case, as a PS + subscriber, We should probably download every single Free indi game possible, even if we don't play them, just to boost their popularity?

Those iOS sales are nearly 2 years worth of it too. Derrick on PSN sold more in 1 month. but i thought ios is the indie savior

No platform is an indie savior if you don't tell people your game exists.

I would also imagine there would be a lot more competition on the iOS platform, just because the marketplace is more popular and generates more traffic, I'm not sure people will notice it, if there's literally 100 other similar games like it.

Duxxy3

So what has caused the great DD game sales collapse over the last year or two?

PSN and XBLA games dont seem to be doing that hot.

Is it the rise of Steam?

General public disinterest in console platforms?

PlayStation Plus making buying new games seem dumb?

MS burying games on the 360 dash in favour of mountain dew adverts?

All the above?

Outside of Minecraft and Journey I havent seen a lot of people happy with there sales the last year.

For me it is definitely the rise of steam. I try not to do any DD for consoles because i don't expect to still be using them in a year or two. I fully expect to be using my PC and steam for the foreseeable future - so for me it's a better investment.

GJS

Just bought this from the devs site via humble. Even if I never get around to playing it, it looks pretty neat and the paper craft was an interesting approach, also gotta give the British devs support

Top Bottom