• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game Derrick the Deathfin sells less than 5,000 units at a loss

Carl

I think those games do well despite not having a demo. They have a lot of hype behind them. Games like Derrick, not so much.

The point is, the game didn't do shit because it had no demo. Games can clearly sell well without one.

The problem was, they didn't promote it enough.

gdt

Uh, Steam is pretty important. You shouldn't be proud of not knowing anything about that platform in a thread talking about indie game sales.

It's like being a political junkie but ignoring Ohio during the elections.

Sintoid

Marketing is important, but dont underestimate the correlation between a good game and good sales figures.
Tokyo Jungle is a very good game (not for everybody for sure), and Derrick probably isn't.

I bought both the game and Derrik is worth is money if you know that the game exists... Playstation Blog gives good coverage of incoming PSN games if you want to know them. Tokyo Jungle is actually a retail Japanese game distributed by Sony at a low price. Comparison is unfair

derExperte

Sad. While the game isn't great (controls are a bit janky for example) it was perfectly priced imo (I payed 5,xx€), fun for two, three hours and you can tell he put a lot of work put into it.

Joni

I am an Indie developer and there is no way I would touch PSN. Only XBLA, iOS and Steam are worthy platforms depending on what type of game you make. You can port to PSN but going exclusive is a death sentence. Yes there are plenty of failures on those platforms as well, but he already started out gimped IMHO..
So what are your sales and profit numbers on your released XBLA/Steam/iOS games?

And with the quality he has put into this game.... I can almost guarantee he would have made his money back if he had picked a different platform.
So bad games sell well on Steam/iOS/XBLA? Because the game apparantly didn't have that good reviews.

The point is, the game didn't do shit because it had no demo. Games can clearly sell well without one.
Indeed.

The problem was, they didn't promote it enough.

Having no demo didn't help. Not sure why devs don't release a demo. They are either not confident in their product or so confident they think the game will sell without one. Put me in the no demo = no buy camp unless it's something that gets extraordinary reviews and word of mouth like Journey.

I agree with what others have said about the poor choice of name too. Derrick the Deathfin just sounds like a shit game. Even just Deathfin would have been better.

Pranay

Journey is the exception to the rule... and also later got a demo for a reason. Demos sell games.

Top 10 EU charts

PSN games:
TOKYO JUNGLE
Worms Revolution
The Unfinished Swan
Sonic Adventure 2
inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD
Amy
The Walking Dead – Season Pass
Journey
Hydrophobia Prophecy

US

Top 20 PSN and PS3 Full Games
The Walking Dead – Episode 4: Around Every Corner
Sonic Adventure 2
inFAMOUS Festival of Blood
NBA 2K13
Resident Evil 6
Dishonored
TOKYO JUNGLE
Assassin’s Creed III
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
The Unfinished Swan
The Walking Dead – Episode 3: Long Road Ahead
DOOM 3 BFG Edition
The Walking Dead – Episode 1: A New Day
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Retro City Rampage
Okami HD
Borderlands 2
FIFA Soccer 13
AMY
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD

80% of the games dont have demo.

Derrick might sell later on once the game is discounted to 3$ like how Amy and Hydrophobia Prophecy reached in top 10 because of that

SparkTR

I think those games do well despite not having a demo. They have a lot of hype behind them. Games like Derrick, not so much.

I don't know. I barely heard of FTL or Amnesia before release, they were certainly not hyped, and yet they sold a ton. Word of mouth has a much bigger impact than a demo I'd say.

In fact I'd wager the majority of the indie successes on PC have had no demo.

The game looks interesting but if you're an Indie dev, you should probably be selling your game and steam. XBLA and PSN are starting to feel like they're for the high profile Indie devs or the smaller, independent developers. We also haven't heard yet if games bought on those services will run on next gen consoles. It's certainly stopping me from buying anything outside of high profile exclusives on them.

US

80% of the games dont have demo.

Derrick might sell later on once the game is discounted to 3$ like how Amy and Hydrophobia Prophecy reached in top 10 because of that

You are listing full retail games. I know for a fact that Sonic, Tony Hawk, Retro City, and Walking Dead have demos.

Pranay

I don't know. I barely heard of FTL or Amnesia before release, they were certainly not hyped, and yet they sold a ton. Word of mouth has a much bigger impact than a demo I'd say.

In fact I'd wager the majority of the indie successes on PC have had no demo.

FTL is quite popular due to kickstarter

and Amnesia is quite a popular game because its rare game Horror game.

Even Siren is quite popular in psn

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, looks like putting yourself into debt doesn't seem like a good idea. Lesson learned.

Yeah, this isn't shocking. When the record is Journey at 300k sold, PSN exclusitivity can easily be a death sentence.
This is one of those posts that guarantees the user never comes back to the thread.

Xater

I knew aboutit I just didn't think it looked like a good game. Reviews and impressions did not change that impression.

SparkTR

FTL is quite popular due to kickstarter

and Amnesia is quite a popular game because its rare game Horror game.

Even Siren is quite popular in psn

I guess you're right, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. The necessity of a demo could also be platform dependent, could explain the the differences (never seen much demand for demos from Steam users).

Having no demo didn't help. Not sure why devs don't release a demo. They are either not confident in their product or so confident they think the game will sell without one. Put me in the no demo = no buy camp unless it's something that gets extraordinary reviews and word of mouth like Journey.

Should be obvious, shouldn't it? Demos take time and money to make, something a lot of indie developers (and especially this one) don't have.

Plus, it's really easy to fuck up demos and end up hurting sales. Too long, too short, too much early game hand holding, not enough hand holding and so on. They're basically another game altogether. Most games just provide the first level as a demo, which I usually find too easy and boring.

kassatsu

Banned
Or it would have had less. Because no one knew about it and no one went to check the store for something else. Works both ways, neither of which was this games problem.
It would have had prominent ad placement. It wouldn't share an ad with 8 other games. The only thing released the following week was Arkedo Series.

Not saying it would have sold huge, but it would make a difference.

It would have had prominent ad placement. It wouldn't share an ad with 8 other games. The only thing released the following week was Arkedo Series.

Not saying it would have sold huge, but but it would make a difference.

Erm, aren't ad placements sold? Pretty sure they could have had ad placement no matter when it released.

mrgone

honestly I think that if you already released on PSN that's probably enough exposure to make Valve pay attention, maybe even possibly skip greenlight. Many examples out there

I don't think much of anything's skipping Greenlight anymore without a prior contract or direct publisher backing. Having your game published on another platform doesn't help - Shantae, La-Mulana, and Mutant Mudds were all published on Nintendo's store and havn't had any additional consideration.

I know poor marketing is used as an excuse more often then deserved, but I never heard of this game until I listened to an interview with the developer on PSNation around two weeks AFTER it was released, and I check PSN ever week.

The developer described it as a mix of Echo the Dolphin and Sonic, which sounds like the greatest game ever. I meant to look up some videos but I listened to the interview over lunch and forgot about it by the time I got home (and forgot about it until this thread), sorry :(

Melchiah

I think they could do a better job at promotion and marketing of indie titles that sign on though. Looking at the storefront now and it's just random stuff everywhere when they could have one section that highlights full games, one section for indie/DD games, one for movies etc.

Not sure if it's because of Sony or the gaming press but some PSN games get hardly any reviews. RCR, which seemed to get a lot of exposure, has 7 reviews on PS3, Derrick currently has 5 reviews.

I definitely agree that the PSN Store, especially the new one, could be organized better, but why should Sony fund the marketing of the game?

Little no-name games seem to get overlooked by gaming media, unfortunately.

kassatsu

Banned
This is what the store looked like the day it released.
A4ygnOlCYAE0jwG.jpg

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
The game looks interesting but if you're an Indie dev, you should probably be selling your game and steam. XBLA and PSN are starting to feel like they're for the high profile Indie devs or the smaller, independent developers. We also haven't heard yet if games bought on those services will run on next gen consoles. It's certainly stopping me from buying anything outside of high profile exclusives on them.
Selling on Steam isn't that easy to do. It's a very closed system.

Melchiah

This is what the store looked like the day it released.
A4ygnOlCYAE0jwG.jpg

I fail to see the point of the pic. There's a big game displayed on the front page, and a little game under it. Are you implying that DtD should have been on the front page? Didn't it appear on the New Releases section like most of the titles?

I fail to see the point of the pic. There's a big game displayed on the front page, and a little game under it. Are you implying that DtD should have been on the front page? Didn't it appear on the New Releases section like most of the titles?

He thinks that if the game released next week it would have been the one featured on the front page...

Bethesda paid the big bucks, that's all there is to it.

EVOL 100%

Here is the fundamental problem:

Why would I want to invest any more money into PS3 DD purchases when the next PS4 is 12 - 24 months away and incompatible with cell? Basically any money I've invested to this point is lost the moment the PS4 is released and my aging PS3 finally dies with no possible hope of recoup through resale.

Yet again, digital distribution inconveniences the customer more than physical distribution.

Wait, is this confirmed?

Massa

Here is the fundamental problem:

Why would I want to invest any more money into PS3 DD purchases when the next PS4 is 12 - 24 months away and incompatible with cell? Basically any money I've invested to this point is lost the moment the PS4 is released and my aging PS3 finally dies with no possible hope of recoup through resale.

Yet again, digital distribution inconveniences the customer more than physical distribution.

Games are not investments.

But yeah, I suppose if this $8 game was at retail you would have made $0.50 back when trading it in for a PS4. Score!

Zia

That's sad. Gordon is a really nice guy, and I know he had trouble with his previous game, lilt line, also, despite the press it received. Hope they can bring it to other platforms and recoup some of the cost.

Also, do people really think Sony will abandon the PS3 digital library? Unlike Nintendo, and even moreso than Microsoft, Sony has really pushed the idea of PSN as a Library, with cloud saving and cross-platform play. I think it'd be disastrous if their next platform didn't support the stuff.

kassatsu

Banned
He thinks that if the game released next week it would have been the one featured on the front page...

Bethesda paid the big bucks, that's all there is to it.
Except that isn't what I am saying. The next week was skinned with whatever the next D1D title was (nba? Don't really remember).

What it would have had was an ad in rotation pretty much to itself, sharing with 1 title.

Wait, is this confirmed?

AFAIK (and I admit to not keeping up with the rumours too much) it is confirmed that the PS4 will not have a cell processor. This pretty much rules out backwards compat because emulating a cell on a non-cell would be a bitch, and Sony learnt from the PS3/Emotion Engine fiasco that putting a custom chip in your machines just for backwards compat is a bit of a mistake.

That pretty much leaves any PS3 DD owners with two outcomes - 1) some DD gets ported (probably the most successful) or 2) it just dies.

In the event that it gets ported, I'd imagine people being forced to double-dip if they wanted to play it on their new consoles. If it remains un-ported in the PS3 store then you can either continue purchasing PS3s to play your old DD content, or just write it off. Either way, you're significantly out of pocket.

This has certainly lead to my decision to not buy any DD software on consoles in the last year, and may play a large part in whether I go DD on any new consoles. Part of what I love about my hobby is my archive of stuff - my Saturn, my Dreamcast, my Snes, my GC etc etc, all with tangible software that I can collect. If software isn't tangible, I don't own it, I just lease it and my interest wanes somewhat.

Top Bottom