• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

offshore

Cth said:
5659494926_07070655ca_z.jpg
I can't see beyond the basic apostrophe abuse.

-viper-

Banned
I think this really is going to be a punishing blow to Sony though.

It's a shame, because I have enjoyed using their services. Free PSN has been fantastic. PS3 has been the best console I have ever used. Most importantly... WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE FIRST PARTY TITLES?

DOOOOOM.

Holy shit, i wouldn't be surprised if Sony file for bankruptcy over the PSN hack.

My credit card details are completely safe thankfully as my email. I've got a completely random password so it's all cool.

Is the CC situation really really serious, I would have to let family members know about this and that will be a big hassle for them to start changing numbers and such.

obonicus

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Feorax said:
I think he was referring to the BBC reports etc, not gaming "journalism" as it were.

I see--his comment about E3 made me believe that he was talking about gaming journalists.

evolution

lifa-cobex said:
No it wont. In-fact i think all eye's will be on Sony to see the reaction to this.

Have you seen the news today? It's been on the radio all day too. Believe me when i say that the average joe is thinking the worst of Sony right now.
No, most people i've talked to just want to know when they can get back on COD

Blimblim

The Inside Track
darkwing said:
wow can anyone confirm this?

rather than a blogsite
Looks like the url for the log is legit (and wtf?), but what the guy is commenting about is just some random bot security testing like you can thousands of every day on every servers with a public IP, and not the security issue itself.

lupinko

Mama Robotnik said:
People who are blaming the hackers for opening up the hardware and defending Sony's actions - a question:

If opening up hardware leads to hacks like this, then why hasn't Steam been hacked a billion times by now and its personal customer data plastered all over the net?

The answer is because Valve is competent.

Yes, like the time HL2 was wisked away by that German kid.

Yes.

Feorax

dreamer3kx said:
Is the CC situation really really serious, I would have to let family members know about this and that will be a big hassle for them to start changing numbers and such.

I'd wait and see. If they see suspicious activity on their account, then yes definately.

Don't just follow Apocalypse-GAF blindly though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
herod said:
Because others also have stuff I want. This is meant to be a fun hobby, this kind of stress is counter to the whole point of it. I'll side with competence.

That's fair enough, but I can more or less remove the stress for me by changing my payment method and removing my personal details. I'll be driven by my content wants and not a 'oh i couldn't deal with such an incompetent company' blanket approach to things. I'm not going to avoid - I dunno, say, Journey - because I won't switch to prepaid cards.

I can totally understand why it would put others off using PSN wholesale, for sure - but for me, as an enthusiast, I won't limit my access to content when I know I can maintain that access while also reducing risk associated to these kinds of things in the future. Like I say, it would seem like I am losing out more than I already have from this breach to cut that content out of my future videogaming.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not really sure how the two are connected.

You purport, in your post, that other companies are also subject to cyber attacks that result in data theft. Who cause those attacks? Basement dwellers? Chinese cyber-terrorists? Eastern european mafia types? Sleek, experienced western black market types?

With a DDoS you can be relatively sure that the person doing it has a specific beef with you, and in the case of modern tools like LOIC you can be reasonably sure that it's a group of many non-technical people who are pissed at you for whatever reason. But with an account breach, I'm not sure why parsimony would suggest that option over full time, for-profit fraudsters?

of course they're related, and anonymous achieved their objective. the majority just pussed out on taking responsbility when the sony psn users started screaming for blood. not a single persons information will be used. it was a subversive and successful attack.

lupinko said:

Yes.

(1) This was long, long before Steam wasn't it?

(2) A prototype game leaking is nothing compared to leaking customer data. One's a minor headline, the other is a negative-PR juggernaut.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cth said:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5659494926_07070655ca_z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The bar on the right has 500 million friends in the search box. That should be 77 million, or something like that.

And the ' in don't is missing.

I almost laughed.

iNvid02

evolution said:
No, most people i've talked to just want to know when they can get back on COD

i always see XBL and PSN as mostly children playing COD and asking mom/dad for their cc to buy the map packs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lupinko said:

Yes.

But not all hacks are equal; Valve's competence or lack thereof in that issue doesn't demonstrate their competence or lack thereof on credit card / account login issues, just as someone being able to socially engineer stepto's Xbox password or hack a Modern Warfare lobby doesn't demonstrate anything about Microsoft's credit card / account login system competence.

Mama Robotnik said:
People who are blaming the hackers for opening up the hardware and defending Sony's actions - a question:

If opening up hardware leads to hacks like this, then why hasn't Steam been hacked a billion times by now and its personal customer data plastered all over the net?

The answer is because Valve is competent.

Not all hackers are the same. I don't give a damn if someone wants to mode a fucking console or create emulators.

I'm saying essentially "Fuck you I'll shit on your fucking face if I could you goddamn hackers!!! very specifically to this. There is no defense for this. Might as well defend the pieces of shits who make that rogue spyware shit to steal credit card numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pantyhelmet said:
of course they're related, and anonymous achieved their objective. the majority just pussed out on taking responsbility when the sony psn users started screaming for blood. not a single persons information will be used. it was a subversive and successful attack.

Of course they're related because...

LJ11

Vamphuntr said:
Indeed, identity theft is much worse.

At least they don't have social security numbers or driver license numbers or here in Canada Health Insurance Card Numbers. It will make spoofing your identity a bit harder.

But they may have your Bday and address.

I'm just hoping I stuck with my usual policy and entered a fake bday. At least that will ease my paranoia.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Wasn't the PS3's security really good? I remember seeing something about GeoHot doing it because it was so difficult.

It was accept for one fatal flaw, a random number generator that wasn't random.

JWong

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
(1) This was long, long before Steam wasn't it?

(2) A prototype game leaking is nothing compared to leaking customer data. One's a minor headline, the other is a negative-PR juggernaut.
And who says Valve didn't become more careful because of it?

Noshino

-PXG- said:
Its really interesting. Even with this level of ineptitude from Sony, some people will nonchalantly shrug it off as no big deal, and continue to do business with them. Sure, the sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world. But to completely not give a shit is odd. Why willingly do business with a company that is this fucking incompetent?

What is your current OS? What about your browser?

A.R.K

-viper- said:
I think this really is going to be a punishing blow to Sony though.

It's a shame, because I have enjoyed using their services. Free PSN has been fantastic. PS3 has been the best console I have ever used. Most importantly... WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE FIRST PARTY TITLES?

DOOOOOM.

Holy shit, i wouldn't be surprised if Sony file for bankruptcy over the PSN hack.

My credit card details are completely safe thankfully as my email. I've got a completely random password so it's all cool.

this is exactly the hyperbole doomsday shit I was referring to a few pages back...

wow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom