• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
borghe said:
no, you are correct. someone tried accessing the system and tried doing directory recursion and such that all failed. Nothing in that log actually shows any access of sensitive information, or success of any access besides standard pages with 200 status.

fwiw, when I was running my store those logs don't look much different. I was accessed all the time by would=be hackers. It becomes even more fun because I was running on an open platform (oscommerce) so you would see them accessing the site with long since patched vulnerability flaws. I'm not saying there aren't logs floating around of the hack... I'm just saying that sure isn't that log.

Weird that it's a DoD ip address though... seems like a compromised host anyway, but as you say, not one that's done the attack.

Same dude at the DoD likes to edit the Call of Duty Wikia however :)

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:214.1.211.251

A.R.K

farco1212 said:
This is some bad ish. My condolences go out to you all who had your CC information tied to your accounts.

It's sad that we, the gamers, are bystanders in this war between Sony and the hackers.

well some of the so called gamers here were rooting for the hackers and donating for their 'just cause' against the evil Sony empire...

how you like them apples now hacker loving GAF? :/

Really they could not have handled this worse.

Now I'm worried about my CC info as well.. gah. I sure as fuck am not buying another Sony console that's for sure.

Ferrio

Banned
A.R.K said:
well some of the so called gamers here were rooting for the hackers and donating for their 'just cause' against the evil Sony empire...

how you like them apples now hacker loving GAF? :/

Perfectly fine with it. Console hackers different than what is currently happening.

Cth

offshore said:
I can't see beyond the basic apostrophe abuse.

Fixed.

5658972397_ea4ccb941a_z.jpg

J-Rzez said:
I really hate people. Now I have to call up my bank, get a new card/number tomorrow. I'm not worried about them as much trying to open new credit lines because I already have it set up to take more steps in the process, and they don't have my social obviously. All I know is they, and other companies need to change their process that they have so much of your personal information, as no matter how secure you think your system is, there's always someone out there smarter than the people you had design it in the first place.

But man has Sony had a rough gen. I'd expect them to get something new out quicker than they would have liked to now to try and forget this gen all together.

I didn't agree with the people that said it before, but I do now. This gen, on all platforms, blows.

...Or you could just wait until any suspicious activity takes place to go through all that shit instead of just being insanely paranoid. The people that did this just wanted to pirate the PSN store. They likely didn't want anyone's info.

I have the feeling I'll get blasted for this, but I'll ask anyway.

Will there be any way to change our passwords without logging into PSN on the PS3? Still on CFW as I don't use the PSN very much at all, but I'd like to make sure no hacker can access my account.

Welp, guess it's time to do something I should have done before. Getting an internet only CC and one for personal use. I'm more upset at the potential security question answers being stolen, changing a CC isn't that big of a deal just a hassle. Having those answers could be personally problematic, I wish I knew what the questions/answers that were on there.

RyanDG

AnEternalEnigma said:
The people that did this just wanted to pirate the PSN store. They didn't want anyone's info.

I don't think that's the case anymore. That was the initial speculation, but I think it's safe to say that we've moved far beyond that. This seems to be an actual attempt to compromise personal information and not just pirate the PSN store.

Gritesh

Seriously saddening news today about this.

It's weird some major companies have been facing security risks as far as online data is concerned lately.

Chase was hacked for Credit Card Information
Air Miles was recently hacked as well
Sony PSN has now been hacked...

It seems to be more and more frequent and harder to combat.

Also, as far as E3 is concerned..you would be crazy to think it will be crickets at this years presser. If anything Sony will have more attention drawn to it to see what they have to say and how they plan to move forward.

Also people freaking out about credit card/debit card's, there is no clear indication of the information being available to anyone yet, and the rest of the data can be easily obtained through Google could it not?

While the information is discerning, I am interested to see how this is going to be handled going forward.

Cruzader

Banned
Mrbob said:
Not like it matters at this point. Whatever info which was stolen is gone and the network is down so no one else can access it.

This whole ordeal is making me think twice about picking up a PSP2, if I'm willing to lock my account down to an unreliable network for digital content.
NGP aint DD only machine you know.

Anyhow I agree with Strumpkapow on this issue regarding the attacks on the network.

Choppasmith said:
I have the feeling I'll get blasted for this, but I'll ask anyway.

Will there be any way to change our passwords without logging into PSN on the PS3? Still on CFW as I don't use the PSN very much at all, but I'd like to make sure no hacker can access my account.
Everything is down, so you couldn't even access it from the net outside of a PS3.

Stumpokapow said:
Sure, I'm just saying I'm pretty sure these were Chinese or Eastern European professional credit card / account detail intruders, and that it's better to compare this attack to similar attacks against other eCommerce entities, rather than to a group known for DDoSing.
I understand that, but I don't think it's those slick mafia types in international, professional e-crime rings that did this. They could, after learning about security flaws in PSN through other means, but I think it's the same group of people who got upset at Sony for going after Hotz. At least, the evidence about their timing points in their direction to me.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Wow, this has been going on for a week and I've only just heard about it.

I need to read the gaming side more often. Pretty terrible screwup on SONYs part.

Abylim

Well shit, I dont really remember alot of my account details, surely i could call up sony Eu or something and get a password reset when this shits back up?

I cant beleive this shit, My CC is on there, I can cancel it, but i shouldnt have to. And if I cant get my PSN ID working, I'm boned trophy wise, arent I? I just hit level 13 =\

If I cant get that shit going I dont know what I'll do honestly. Thats a massive blow for me

lifa-cobex

Kasumi1970 said:
i just saw it.....they said 75,000 credit cards number were stolen

Wait! Can they say that?

Nothing has been confirmed about card info. Sure maybe 75,000 psn accounts but saying credit card numbers?

JaseMath

Can someone give a brief overview of what the hell is going on? CC info is compromised...or it isn't compromised...or it is and isn't a big deal? We should change our email passwords?

Zenith

Banned
Feorax said:
Do we have a source for that or is the media just making up more horseshit?

Might be, but then again real journalists can usually get PR people to give a statement they can use as uncredited as a sort of soft confirmation before the company puts it in an official statement.

RustyNails said:
I understand that, but I don't think it's those slick mafia types in international, professional e-crime rings that did this. They could, after learning about security flaws in PSN through other means, but I think it's the same group of people who got upset at Sony for going after Hotz. At least, the evidence about their timing points in their direction to me.

step right up and see "The functioning brain"! :O

MalboroRed said:
Custom firmware to support otherOS to potentially support new functions like region-free blu-ray playback of, say, Sunshine, is simply not worth this, sometimes you can take the good with the bad, this is a case where I don't want to take the good with the bad, whatever merits I see in CFW empowering people to do cool things with their consoles pretty much got flushed down the toilet by this outcome, I want the next Sony system to be completely air-tight, no mods, no CFW, I want them to set the system to auto-destruct in case of any kind of tempering.

Actually if this was in any way achieved with the jailbreak then Sony should fuck off with relying on client side security. Its extremely dangerous to assume it won't get hacked, I can't think of any system that hasn't been.

rainking187 said:
Did they just get current information or what? I changed my PSN password to something completely different from any of my other passwords after the Gawker thing, and deleted my card info from the PSN a little while back as well. Are they able to see all the passwords I've used, or just the current one?

you're fine.

the posts on news and gaming sites about "what to do" aren't detailed enough either. they need to specify that you should only change your email password if it's the same password you used for your PSN account. some specify that point and some don't. so just make sure that none of your other internet logins use the password you used for your PSN and you'll be fine as far as passwords are concerned.

if a credit card was attached to your account you can call your bank if you want, but i am holding off until further notice from sony. from the looks of it the user data was accessed, but they don't know if it was actually taken or not. like finding your house has been broken into and looking around to see if anything was actually stolen.

Marius_ said:
So if I tell my bank that I lost my debit card they will issue me a new one with a new #?
I was chatting with their customer service and they told me that I couldn't change the number.

Yes, tell them it was lost.

LiK

JasonMCG said:
Can someone give a brief overview of what the hell is going on? CC info is compromised...or it isn't compromised...or it is and isn't a big deal? We should change our email passwords?

read OP, it's all there.

syoaran

pantyhelmet said:
i just told you, who are anonymous and why are they targeting sony?
its by no means the logical lep you suggest.

I'm not really sure how two dynamically opposed actions have a logical link between them, other than "ZOMG, HAX". Anon. champion themselves as standing up for the individual in a coperate run world (as they see it). Credit card theft is ruining the individual for personal gain. Please tell me how these two things would benefit the same group as I really don't get how 40 pages in, a lot of gaf posters are stating that Anon is responsible for the potential theft of personal data as fact.

I'm not saying that you could be correct, people in the group could have taken the data when they tried to disrupt the service in order to make money from themselves, but these people would then be anarchists, not "justice seekers".

borghe said:
no, you are correct. someone tried accessing the system and tried doing directory recursion and such that all failed. Nothing in that log actually shows any access of sensitive information, or success of any access besides standard pages with 200 status.

fwiw, when I was running my store those logs don't look much different. I was accessed all the time by would=be hackers. It becomes even more fun because I was running on an open platform (oscommerce) so you would see them accessing the site with long since patched vulnerability flaws. I'm not saying there aren't logs floating around of the hack... I'm just saying that sure isn't that log.

edit - for more info on reading web logs, every 404 you see on there means page not served. Every 200 you see means page served. Nothing with a 200 message shows a single interesting thing.

the company i work for uses OS commerce, and i hate it. Not very secure. Hell when i came in, the company didn't even turn on SSL encryption. Haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom