• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igo

-PXG- said:
Its really interesting. Even with this level of ineptitude from Sony, some people will nonchalantly shrug it off as no big deal, and continue to do business with them. Sure, the sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world. But to completely not give a shit is odd. Why willingly do business with a company that is this fucking incompetent?

Sony's incompetence is at the lower end of reasons not to do business with them. I certainly knew just what kind of company I was dealing with when I bought my PS3 and i'm nothing has changed in that regard.

While I understand Sony's mishandling of the whole situation and their ineptness is unforgivable (and deserves the scorn), I'm more disappointed with people vocally critical of Sony (with "fuck sony", "brb buying xbox" posts) not saying a darned thing about hackers. You don't realize the fact that no network is 100% secured out there, not even XBL, Steam, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Sony went after GeoHot, and pissed off basement dwelling hacking scum who are now directly responsible for your credit card info being leaked. Yes, Sony deserves every yell and scream for not fortifying user information. But remember who caused this as well. Just trying to keep things in perspective rather than just "fuck sony" and "fuck hackers" posts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
All will be forgiven and forgotten by E3.

The media who report this are ADULTS, who understands Sony's situation. No over-reactive forum posters.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
LiK said:
that senator probably just bought SOCOM and is pissed.
okay, I laughed out loud. Thanks for this.

lol, the hack log wow.

Adam Prime said:

The media who report this are ADULTS, who understands Sony's situation. No over-reactive forum posters.
No.

Ferrio

Banned
Guardian Bob said:
People are quick to slam Sony, but they are doing something about it. Give them some credit.

... doing something after the fact when they're in such deep shit. Ya let's give them a hand for trying to cover their ass.

lupinko

Hawk269 said:
My biggest issue as many of you passionately put it is that it took Sony this long to figure out our data was compromised. I am sure they knew this very early on, but for some reason witheld reporting this to it's users.

Probably the procedure for the investigation when they spoke with the outside security company with regards to this matter.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Adam Prime said:

Wow. I've got to be quite honest, I find much of GAF much more "adult" in their opinions than many in the gaming journalism industry.

-PXG-

Griffin said:

Sony was was entirely right to shut down PSN. I'm not questioning that course of action one bit.

However, regardless of what kind of data was compromised, they failed to give their customers fair warning as to what was going on. You could argue that they didn't want create mass hysteria over nothing. But at the same time, wouldn't you want to be safe rather than sorry? There is nothing wrong with giving people a little more heads up and simple methods of protecting themselves, in the event shit really did hit the fan.

That's all I'm saying.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Because it has content you want?

I'm not sure I get the 'who would do business with Sony' thing... if they have stuff you want, why would you forgo that? There are safe ways to buy things on PSN, i.e. prepaid cards.

It is a big fucking deal, I am annoyed, I'm probably going to be changing my CC, I've been changing passwords on some accounts etc. But as long as Sony has content I want I will "do business with them". It won't change my consumption behaviour, to do that would just be to punish myself really. It'll change HOW I purchase that content - I just won't tie a CC to my Sony/PSN account in the future.

That was my point indeed. Albeit I will keep my CC tied to the PSN account *especially* because of what happened. I'm that crazy to believe they have learned the lesson :D

(And my CC has a credit limit anyway - and I get email notifications of every transaction :p)

herod

gofreak said:
Because it has content you want?

I'm not sure I get the 'who would do business with Sony' thing... if they have stuff you want, why would you forgo that? There are safe ways to buy things on PSN, i.e. prepaid cards.
Because others also have stuff I want. This is meant to be a fun hobby, this kind of stress is counter to the whole point of it. I'll side with competence.

Garjon

I'm really unsure about that log, it seems to be sourced from some random PS Benelux website. Is there no better source available?
I know Sony are incompetent and all, but do people really think it was that easy to hack?

-viper-

Banned
RustyNails said:
While I understand Sony's mishandling of the whole situation and their ineptness is unforgivable (and deserves the scorn), I'm more disappointed with people vocally critical of Sony (with "fuck sony", "brb buying xbox" posts) not saying a darned thing about hackers. You don't realize the fact that no network is 100% secured out there, not even XBL, Steam, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Sony went after GeoHot, and pissed off basement dwelling hacking scum who are now directly responsible for your credit card info being leaked. Yes, Sony deserves every yell and scream for not fortifying user information. But remember who caused this as well. Just trying to keep things in perspective rather than just "fuck sony" and "fuck hackers" posts.
Spot on.

Fucking Geohot.

RustyNails said:

I say time to just go full nuclear from now on. The moment CFW is confirmed online, shut down the network preemptively and rebuild it anyway!

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Cth

5659494926_07070655ca_z.jpg

Just changed the password info on my several online accounts. I can't remember which email address I used on that damned account so I've got to cover my bases.

Sometimes I feel like I should just go the Nintendo/PC route. Console gaming online is getting expensive and alternatives are not working out that well. Maybe it would be best to just use my PC for my online gaming needs...

>_>
RustyNails said:
I think it's a given that people are pissed at hackers.
Knux-Future said:
Perhaps this makes me a horrible person but I want PSN back so I can buy Arcana Hearts 3.

Going to hell in a handbasket and loving it.
I want to buy this and that Siren game on PSN, but incidents like this one make it harder for stingy and paranoid people like me...

lifa-cobex

Adam Prime said:

No it wont. In-fact i think all eye's will be on Sony to see the reaction to this.

Have you seen the news today? It's been on the radio all day too. Believe me when i say that the average joe is thinking the worst of Sony right now.

Feorax

Plinko said:
Wow. I've got to be quite honest, I find much of GAF much more "adult" in their opinions than many in the gaming journalism industry.

I think he was referring to the BBC reports etc, not gaming "journalism" as it were.

People who are blaming the hackers for opening up the hardware and defending Sony's actions - a question:

If opening up hardware leads to hacks like this, then why hasn't Steam been hacked a billion times by now and its personal customer data plastered all over the net?

The answer is because Valve is competent.

jergrah

Hope whoever got their hands on my JPN and EU account info doesnt go looking for me at
Old Trafford Stadium in Greater Manchester, England or Sega HQ in Tokyo :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RustyNails said:
Sony went after GeoHot, and pissed off basement dwelling hacking scum who are now directly responsible for your credit card info being leaked.

I'm not really sure how the two are connected.

You purport, in your post, that other companies are also subject to cyber attacks that result in data theft. Who cause those attacks? Basement dwellers? Chinese cyber-terrorists? Eastern european mafia types? Sleek, experienced western black market types?

With a DDoS you can be relatively sure that the person doing it has a specific beef with you, and in the case of modern tools like LOIC you can be reasonably sure that it's a group of many non-technical people who are pissed at you for whatever reason. But with an account breach, I'm not sure why parsimony would suggest that option over full time, for-profit fraudsters?

snorggy

-PXG- said:
Its really interesting. Even with this level of ineptitude from Sony, some people will nonchalantly shrug it off as no big deal, and continue to do business with them. Sure, the sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world. But to completely not give a shit is odd. Why willingly do business with a company that is this fucking incompetent?

proof of their incompetence please? you know PSN has been up for years right? We don't know how many previous attempts to hack the PSN there were and were successfully defended against... we don't know how the PSN was hacked this time... declaring Sony as incompetent seems pretty premature given what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom