• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Online ID changes are happening

Venuspower

Just confirmed via Twitter!

It's official: PSN Online ID changes are happening. Here are the first details: https://play.st/2Ny8Z8n Testing with select users soon, full rollout in early 2019

For some reason they deleted the Tweet while I created this Thread.

So all I got is a screenshot:
unbenannt.png

The link to their site also is not working at the moment:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...e-id-change-feature-starting-soon#sf199722054

Edit: Here we go again: Their Tweet is back:

New link is also working:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...playstation-preview-program-soon/#sf199722151

We’re happy to announce that we will soon begin testing the long-awaited feature that will allow users to change their PlayStation Network Online ID from their PlayStation 4 system. The PSN Online ID Change feature beta will be a part of the PlayStation Preview Program, and will become available to select users that have pre-registered as testers for previous PlayStation 4 system software betas.

During the preview, you will be able to change your online ID as many times as you want. The first change is free, and changes after that will cost €9.99/£7.99. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost €4.99/£3.99 after the first change. Changes to online ID can be made through the Settings menu or the Profile page of your PS4.

When you change your online ID, you will have the option to display your previous ID with your new ID, so your friends can recognize you. Once you decide to display your old ID or not, you won’t be able to adjust this after completing the online ID change process.

This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after 1st April 2018, and a large majority of the most played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games.

If for any reason you experience issues after changing your ID, you can revert back to your original ID for free at any time (you will only be able to revert once during the preview program). Reverting back to an old ID will resolve most issues caused by the ID change. In addition, when this feature officially launches, a list of compatible games published before April 1, 2018, will be provided on PlayStation.com for reference before you make a change.

The preview program for this feature is planned to conclude at the end of November 2018. The full roll-out of the feature to all PS4 owners is planned for early 2019, so stay tuned for updates down the road!

Last edited:
That's cool and the first one is on the house. Sony preparing for the PS5, glad to see they are getting the wrinkles out early.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Please delete inactive usernames while at it.... I believe I created my usertag when they first launched PSN and haven't been able to use it since and would love to change my current to it match the rest of my accounts.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We’re happy to announce that we will soon begin testing the long-awaited feature that will allow users to change their PlayStation Network Online ID from their PlayStation 4 system. The PSN Online ID Change feature beta will be a part of the PlayStation Preview Program, and will become available to select users that have pre-registered as testers for previous PlayStation 4 system software betas.

More to drool over here:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ture-enters-playstation-preview-program-soon/

Last edited:

TimFL

I wonder how it works when I want to grab a name I‘ve registered on a second mail (to secure it). I assume there is a cooldown for used names seeing as you can revert to them?

great news - though 1 freebie makes me not want to use it until it's necessary.

kinda like items in RPGS

so that means i'll have this freebie till the endgame

Last edited:

Rayderism

From the blog description, it sounds like anyone who is all digital may want to avoid changing their PSN ID or risk problems with some of their games.

Glad I'm fine with my ID.

Blam

Wow so they seriously hard coded their system to run with your old fucking id as your identifier that's insane lmao sony the king of network engineers.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Took only how long? 10 years? Pathetic.

Internet in 2018 is just so, so terrible.
Sony doesn't allow ID changes: "Allow it! Come on, do it, you idiots. I HATE YOU!"
Sony finally allows chaning your ID: "Why didn't you allow that sooner? You Idiots! I HATE YOU"

Just be happy. Or ignore it, if you don't intend to use that option.

Whitecrow

Banned
Wow so they seriously hard coded their system to run with your old fucking id as your identifier that's insane lmao sony the king of network engineers.
That could go back as far as pre PS3 launch when PSN was being built, and this could be a decision of one single engineer/analyst who screwed it up.

zombrex

Doesn't sound like a good solution at all, especially the part about compatible games and possible problems caused by the name change.

In my opinion they shouldn't do it. Their solution seems a bit amaturish or a shortcut to bypass certain restrictions their system has. If you add something that doesn't work 100% the way it should don't add it at all, because if problems appear things will get downhill.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm glad I picked a name back when the PS3 came out that I wanted to stick with still to this day.

My first Xbox Live name on the original Xbox was PubeLice, so it's a good thing the PS3 came out much later and I wasn't stuck with such a retarded name.

Garibaldi

Yup definitely sounds that way. I'm guessing our current ids are littered all over instead of nice cheap GUIDs. I'm guessing they've implemented a linked table of sorts to map the old id to a new id. Then you can display both, as well as old games being incompatible as they don't know about this table. Although surely an API update that retrieves the logged in user details could just grab the new id if one exists if that was the case, with the games calling that when needing the details. Sounds like a complete clusterfuck of db and/or api design if I'm honest if it's taken this long and is only compatible with certain games from prior to the cutoff.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In my opinion they shouldn't do it. Their solution seems a bit amaturish or a shortcut to bypass certain restrictions their system has. If you add something that doesn't work 100% the way it should don't add it at all, because if problems appear things will get downhill.

It's fine as long as Sony is upfront with possible issues that could happen. GIVE US THE OPTION!

Gamernyc78

Banned
Some of these posts are priceless smh.

Anyway good on them and although I'll be keeping my psn name I'm glad ppl now have a choice to change the names they created in their more youthful, edgy years like "%ockslayergamer" or what not lol

DryvBy

Yes. The charge is there mostly to discourage abuse of the feature. I think it's a bit cheaper on Xbox iirc.

No, Microsoft charges $20 to change your name which is insane. They're not discouraging anything. Both Sony and Microsoft are charging yet again for a mild feature that should be totally free like it is on PC. But at least Sony isn't really ramming you with a $20 charge.

dipsylalapo

Neo Member
Is me changing my username that bad? I can change my Twitter handle to my hearts content and as long as it's available, there's no issues.

dipsylalapo

Neo Member
No, Microsoft charges $20 to change your name which is insane. They're not discouraging anything. Both Sony and Microsoft are charging yet again for a mild feature that should be totally free like it is on PC. But at least Sony isn't really ramming you with a $20 charge.

They charge the same $9.99, just not discount for Gold subscribers.

Now you know how fucked up the PSN system is, when you maybe can't play a game anymore after a name change^^
Still good they give the option, to do it.

bellome

I wish i could change my PSN ID but the one i like is already chosen and it seems like the owner is not using it from years....

I wonder if unused PSN accounts have an expiring date. Or if it is possible to ask Sony to delete old unused accounts.

dipsylalapo

Neo Member
I wish i could change my PSN ID but the one i like is already chosen and it seems like the owner is not using it from years....

I wonder if unused PSN accounts have an expiring date. Or if it is possible to ask Sony to delete old unused accounts.
I guess it's difficult if they have digital titles associated with them, how do you ensure they retain ownership of those?

Iced Arcade

where are you getting $20 from? it's free the first time you change it then it is $10

Last edited:

Fbh

Good to hear. Thankfully I'm pretty happy with my Username but I have friends who will definitely want to change theirs

Shame that compatibility with older titles sounds like it's going to be a pain in the ass:
This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after April 1, 2018, and a large majority of the most-played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games. If for any reason you experience issues after changing your ID, you can revert back to your original ID for free at any time (you will only be able to revert once during the preview program). Reverting back to an old ID will resolve most issues caused by the ID change. In addition, when this feature officially launches, a list of compatible games published before April 1, 2018, will be provided on PlayStation.com for reference before you make a change.

Yes. The charge is there mostly to discourage abuse of the feature. I think it's a bit cheaper on Xbox iirc.

If the only reason they charge would be to discourage abuse then they could give you one free change every year or something like that (and then charge you if you want to change again within that year).
But only getting one free name change sounds like it's just another basic feature that's free on other platforms but they know they can charge for on consoles.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's difficult if they have digital titles associated with them, how do you ensure they retain ownership of those?
How does MS do it then?

I'm guessing the easiest way to solve this is for you to have 2 usernames and that I'd be up to the user to only show the new one to others/friends.

Sony's always gotta make shit so complicated.

I'm definitely changing mine to not use my real name, lol. I was so naive in 2006.
lol

So its IkeDontKickTheGoddamnBabyXxX?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caayn

This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after April 1, 2018, and a large majority of the most-played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games. If for any reason you experience issues after changing your ID, you can revert back to your original ID for free at any time (you will only be able to revert once during the preview program). Reverting back to an old ID will resolve most issues caused by the ID change. In addition, when this feature officially launches, a list of compatible games published before April 1, 2018, will be provided on PlayStation.com for reference before you make a change.
This makes me curious as to what possible errors and issues this can result in.

Edit: This also makes me wonder if their implementation allows for the release of older usernames.
There are better and more consumer friendly methods to achieve abuse prevention. Look at Ubisoft/Uplay and Epic who both implement a cooldown period after a name change before you can request another name change. Putting a fee on top of it (I'm amazed that they made it a PS+ perk) is nothing more than a simple way to make money off of it.
How does MS do it then?

I'm guessing the easiest way to solve this is for you to have 2 usernames and that I'd be up to the user to only show the new one to others/friends.

Sony's always gotta make shit so complicated.
I assume that MS doesn't have anything tied to the username but to the user id instead. The user id is an immutable field so everything can be safely tied to it.

Steam actually uses two separate names for users. The account name and the display name(alias) the latter can be changed at will and is the one used by games and in Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom