• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jonabbey said:
The kernel version information doesn't mean that much. If they were running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat keeps the kernel version number based on the mainstream Linux kernel they based on the release on (in this case, 2.6.9, which is what RHEL 4 used), but they incorporate regular security patches into their build of the kernel during the supported lifespan of the product. Red Hat backports all kind of security fixes into their product kernels, without bumping the basic kernel revision number.

Given the 2.6.9 identifier, it is very most likely that they were using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (or Centos 4, equivalently), and whether or not they were up to date on their kernel releases from Red Hat has nothing to do with the 2.6.9 portion of the kernel revision reported by Apache.
The 2.6.9-24 part comes from tools like nmap who can identify the OS used by a remote host by using various probes in the tcp headers (timestamp, sequence number, ISN and other fun stuff). The TCP stack didn't change enough between 2.6.9 and 2.6.25 to be able to see a difference, but there was a significant one in 2.6.25 that was detectable.

Brannon

Wario64 said:
Potential winners for the GAF bet. lol

May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg, Proposed Law, blazinglazers, Violater, Epcott, webcivilian, Raoh, Jakfu, Conflict NZ, zerokoolpsx, CoffeeExpress
May 10 - Noshino, Baconbitz, CitizenCope, purple cobra, nckillthegrimace, Don, greyshark, gembel, thetechkid, demolitio
May 11 - Kafel, timetokill, ithorien, Mr. E. Yis
May 12 - DavieC726, Beer Monkey, Divvy
May 13 - The Spoony Hou
May 14 - bernardobri

Look at all these mayflies. Like their insectoid counterpart, they, too, shall have their hopes dashed within the days ahead. JUNEBUGS UNITE

test_account

XP-39C²
jonabbey said:
The kernel version information doesn't mean that much. If they were running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat keeps the kernel version number based on the mainstream Linux kernel they based on the release on (in this case, 2.6.9, which is what RHEL 4 used), but they incorporate regular security patches into their build of the kernel during the supported lifespan of the product. Red Hat backports all kind of security fixes into their product kernels, without bumping the basic kernel revision number.

Given the 2.6.9 identifier, it is very most likely that they were using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (or Centos 4, equivalently), and whether or not they were up to date on their kernel releases from Red Hat has nothing to do with the 2.6.9 portion of the kernel revision reported by Apache.
Blimblim said:
The 2.6.9-24 part comes from tools like nmap who can identify the OS used by a remote host by using various probes in the tcp headers (timestamp, sequence number, ISN and other fun stuff). The TCP stack didn't change enough between 2.6.9 and 2.6.25 to be able to see a difference, but there was a significant one in 2.6.25 that was detectable.
I see, so these things doesnt necessarily mean much regarding how safe that one PSN server was? If so, i wonder how many news outlets that will write an article about this. Obviously there was something with the security that wasnt 100% up to date seeing that Sony admited that the hackers used a known exploit, and how the status were on all the other PSN servers might still be up for speculation, but the news outlets seems to have based their source on this log regarding the auth.np.ac.playstation.net server.

Thanks for the info everyone by the way :)

Blimblim said:
There is nothing wrong with using standard webservices implementations, so I doubt they would change their whole protocol. As long as the back-end is secured, of course :)
Ok, i see :) Do you know what system i.e Xbox Live and Steam uses in comparison?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
test_account said:
I see, so these things doesnt necessarily mean much regarding how safe that one PSN server was? If so, i wonder how many news outlets that will write an article about this. How the status were on all the other PSN servers might still be up for speculation though, but the news outlets seems to have based their source on this log regarding the auth.np.ac.playstation.net server.

Thanks for the info everyone by the way :)
Yeah, kernel version alone doesn't mean anything (even a 2.4 kernel could be up to date in terms of security).
test_account said:
Ok, i see :) Do you know what system i.e Xbox Live and Steam uses in comparison?
I have no idea what Xbox Live uses, but since it's a quite old system now I'd say it uses a proprietary protocol. Downloads themselves use the http protocol, but everything else is a mystery. Edit: Actually it looks like the developer part of the protocol is based on webservices at least, the rest might be too. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480728.aspx#wsmsplat_topic23
I never looked into stream, but I'd be highly surprised if it used anything but webservices.

Mr_Elysia

This thread is toxic. If someone expresses a desire to trade-in in light of this they are well within their rights. Their option and opinion are as valid as yours. It may be a stupid decision in your eyes but it doesn't make it invalid and not as worthy of a post as you expressing your apathy for their decision.

maxxpower

I'll repeat what I've said before. Sony can take a long as they want to put the PSN back up, but the lack of communication from their part is frustrating.

test_account

XP-39C²
Blimblim said:
Yeah, kernel version alone doesn't mean anything (even a 2.4 kernel could be up to date in terms of security).

I have no idea what Xbox Live uses, but since it's a quite old system now I'd say it uses a proprietary protocol. Downloads themselves use the http protocol, but everything else is a mystery. Edit: Actually it looks like the developer part of the protocol is based on webservices at least, the rest might be too. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480728.aspx#wsmsplat_topic23
I never looked into stream, but I'd be highly surprised if it used anything but webservices.
Ok, i see. Thanks again! :)

snap0212 said:

What in the world is the point of the derailed train?

maxxpower said:
I'll repeat what I've said before. Sony can take a long as they want to put the PSN back up, but the lack of communication from their part is frustrating.

What would it benefit us to know what number security test they are running or what system is being tested for vulnerability? and what security test failed? What would they tell us?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The lack of PSN has made me use my PS3 in different ways, been using the browser a lot and streaming videos from my PC to my Plasma. Anymore gems I should use Gaf?

X-Frame

Marius_ said:
The lack of PSN has made me use my PS3 in different ways, been using the browser a lot and streaming videos from my PC to my Plasma. Anymore gems I should use Gaf?

Is there any way to stream from my Mac to my PS3?

Averon

We shouldn't be surprised Sony is taking their time with this. They need to get this fix right the first time, or PSN is dead. Sony cannot afford a second attack right after they claimed they secured PSN. It will shatter what little consumer confidence they have left. Not to mention the damage to relations to indie developers and 3rd parties. I imagine the EAs and Activisons are very annoyed by PSN being down (they're losing revenue). Imagine what they'll feel if PSN goes down again. Sony, for their sake, should be crossing every t and dotting every i. Better to lose some customers now than the entire network.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe it's relevant here but will I be able to get the free maps and stuff in my Portal 2 PS3 version when PSN goes back online?

Raoh said:
Now that you mention is I just realized. My ps3 is not picking up my ps3mediaserver or my playon media servers.

Do I have to be signed on to psn to use them?

Nop. They have to be linked in the same router, as you probably have, if you have your PS3 and your computer online. And have the program opened in your computer. Nothing else.

Averon said:
We shouldn't be surprised Sony is taking their time with this. They need to get this fix right the first time, or PSN is dead. Sony cannot afford a second attack right after they claimed they secured PSN. It will shatter what little consumer confidence they have left. Not to mention the damage to relations to indie developers and 3rd parties. I imagine the EAs and Activisons are very annoyed by PSN being down (they're losing revenue). Imagine what they'll feel if PSN goes down again. Sony, for their sake, should be crossing every t and dotting every i. Better to lose some customers now than the entire network.

Well said. Sony can't screw this up, for their sake. If they don't get it right, PSN is pretty much finished.

ToyBroker

Banned
surly said:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list, because the 360 version isn't even in the top 100. Either the list is not accurate, or more people have pre-ordered games like Emily The Strange on DS and Hidden Mysteries of Notre Dame on PC than the 360 version of Brink.

EDIT - That seems to be the updated hourly list. Here's the cumulative list: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_h__1

360 version at 7, PC at 16, PS3 at 27.

It's very accurate.

Luckyman

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Well said. Sony can't screw this up, for their sake. If they don't get it right, PSN is pretty much finished.

it can be disrupted but not finished. People will always return and eventually put some money in..

mr.hands

Banned
Mr_Elysia said:
This thread is toxic. If someone expresses a desire to trade-in in light of this they are well within their rights. Their option and opinion are as valid as yours. It may be a stupid decision in your eyes but it doesn't make it invalid and not as worthy of a post as you expressing your apathy for their decision.

so true!

I traded in my PS3's today.

I initially had 3; one for every bedroom in my house, but we got a 4th one because of the (canceled) ability to play GT5 in 240FPS, or in quad-HD (this was once a planned feature, see http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112382 ).
-I had 150 games; 50 games times 3, GT5 4times.
-13 controllers (4 sixaxis, 9 dualshock 3)
-4 steering wheels (all driving force gt pro, which don't work on a 360)
-and some move controllers/playstation eyes.

I also traded in all my blu-ray movies, including the non-columbia/sony-picture ones; Sony did develop the format and I don't want anything to do with them anymore!

I am absolutely disgusted that Sony got hacked, I read on the internet they still use windows 3.11 server edition!!
I never want anything from Sony ever again!

p.s. I got 1000 dollar for all my gear, take that Sony!!

edit: this was meant sarcastically of course. I am annoyed at the PSN downtime, but I am wise enough to understand why it is taking so long.

Amir0x

Banned
My guess is it will be up Saturday, May 14, at 4:00PM(EST).

mr. hands said:

You showed them! Go get 'em tiger.

Also, sidenote:

mr. hands said:
I also traded in all my blu-ray movies, including the non-columbia/sony-picture ones; Sony did develop the format and I don't want anything to do with them anymore!

hahahahahahA

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
mr.hands said:

lol, they got so much money from you

edit: this was meant sarcastically of course. I am annoyed at the PSN downtime, but I am wise enough to understand why it is taking so long.

Boooo, you got me

I love how people say they will never again will give money to Sony, like if they can avoid all their music/movies/Tv/etc

epaturun

X-Frame said:
Ok so the beta version is a year old and the stable release is 2 years old .. :(

latest RC

So here it is, finally This is the release candidate for 1.21.1 on OS X. Please test it on your configurations, I'm especially interested in people with OS X 10.5 or older Intel processors. Only report problems specific to the OS X version, no general PMS bugs.

Check here for the main fixes.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/files/pms-mac ... .1-RC1.dmg (Intel only)

from: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1635&p=49946#p49946

alr1ghtstart said:
Kj5Bd.png

See how much better it is when you get the font and kerning right?

mr.hands said:
-I had 150 games; 50 games times 3, GT5 4times.
-13 controllers (4 sixaxis, 9 dualshock 3)

Wait, why did you need multiple copies of every single game you own? Also, why did you need so many controllers? Couldn't you have just shared all of this stuff between systems instead of lighting your money on fire?

Amir0x

Banned
Marius_ said:
lol, they got so much money from you

Boooo, you got me

I love how people say they will never again will give money to Sony, like if they can avoid all their music/movies/Tv/etc

he got me until i read the Blu-Ray comments. He was so adamant about listing his PS3 swag that I i was like 'really'. Then he said the Blu-Ray shit and it got obvious

Funny guy this mr.hands ;)

androvsky

mr.hands said:
I am absolutely disgusted that Sony got hacked, I read on the internet they still use windows 3.11 server edition!!
I never want anything from Sony ever again!

Aww, you admitted to being sarcastic before I could highlight the Windows 3.11 bit. :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
GAF's law is a variant of Poe's law and it states this:
“Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of platform-fanboyism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.”

Edit: The "I will not buy any product ever that is affiliated with Sony" thing isn't even a joke on his part. That's straight up from some dude that has that as his tag on here.

ithorien

Amir0x said:
he got me until i read the Blu-Ray comments. He was so adamant about listing his PS3 swag that I i was like 'really'. Then he said the Blu-Ray shit and it got obvious

Funny guy this mr.hands ;)

I got it figured out bout halfway, before Blu-Ray (the win 3.11 was a huge hint). The scope of the entire thing was just a little too ridiculous.

Yea I'm pissed at Sony, but their track record otherwise has been pretty stellar imo. They're still the best in the home entertainment electronics space in my book.

Raoh

malyce said:
No you dont.

odd then. i'm getting nothing. I just restarted my playon and ps3mediaserver as well as my ps3 and did a media server search. came up with nothing.

I checked the ps3 network settings test, it finds an ip address, gets an internet connection, stops at psn (obviously).

Any one have any suggestions?

Amir0x

Banned
bandresen said:
GAF's law is a variant of Poe's law and it states this:
“Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of platform-fanboyism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.”

Edit: The "I will not buy any product ever that is affiliated with Sony" thing isn't even a joke on his part. That's straight up from some dude that has that as his tag on here.

That is true. People really do have these absurd opinions

ithorien said:
Yea I'm pissed at Sony, but their track record otherwise has been pretty stellar imo. They're still the best in the home entertainment electronics space in my book.

I'm annoyed at Sony, I'm PISSED at the hackers/anonymous. Bunch of fucktards.

RPGamer92

Banned
It boggles my mind how people are selling their PS3s purely because of PSN being down. It's gonna be back up within this week or next.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Snuggler said:
I have a Sony Bravia, should I throw it out my window?

I'll throw it out for you, just ship it to me.

Heck I'll give you 10 bucks.

ithorien

Amir0x said:
I'm annoyed at Sony, I'm PISSED at the hackers/anonymous. Bunch of fucktards.

Suppose that is more on point, I agree. My in-laws don't have a good computer, and my wife was able to video chat with her mom through PSN. Today's mother's day, and guess what. Yep.

slider

Snuggler said:
I have a Sony Bravia, should I throw it out my window?

I've got an expensive Sony Receiver. That shit ain't going nowhere.

No doubt I've missed the context to this post but I thought I'd "contribute".

I'm hopeful of something before/on Wed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom