• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Sblargh said:
Going to the trouble (and loss of money) to trade the console and everything on it because of a service that will be back up feels a bit insane to me.
I even understand the guy who was not being happy with the service in the first place and to whom this was the last straw, but "I really like my PS3, but I need to play online THIS WEEK and therefore must sell it and everything on it" is, again, a bit insane.

Some people value their time that much. Also some people have the cash to burn, and poor impulse control.

Renting a 360 and say, a copy of one game might make more sense.

Lince

Banned
expecting it to be up on a weekend was unrealistic, they need all the staff available, if it's not back up by this Wednesday it won't be up until the 16th at the very least.

Dorfdad said:
rage post

you seem to hate the PS3 so much I don't know why you bought 45 games for it in the first place, I don't buy games for systems I hate except for AAA+ exclusives.

Dorfdad said:
asta la Vesta baby!

"hasta la vista" ;-)

test_account

XP-39C²
Blimblim said:
Most of PSN is based on webservices, so yeah they more than likely were using Apache too.
I wonder if they have changed how PSN works now or if they "just" implemented better security on the "old" PSN.

jcm said:
Sony claims they were patched up. Patrick Seybold said:

"The previous network for Sony Network Entertainment International and Sony Online Entertainment used servers that were patched and updated recently, and had multiple security measures in place, including firewalls."
Oh ok, i missed that quote, thanks :) I guess that he is referring to Apache in that statement?

surly

Banned
Staticks said:
Never heard of Skype? I know of quite a few PS3 and even Xbox 360 gamers who use Skype instead of the built-in VOIP of the consoles because the quality is so much better.
There's no real need to use Skype with a 360 though. You have chat that's completely independent of the game, 4 private voice chat channels, and a party mode where people can join the party with 1 button press and the chat works independent of games with that too.

The quality of voice chat on 360 is more than adequate - not that Skype isn't better, but getting all of your mates to fire up a laptop, log in to Skype and what not is a pain in the arse, especially if you want to switch to the game's open voice chat at any time.

Raoh said:
I only want to talk to people when I'm playing an online game.
I use cross-game chat all the time, because if I log into Live and a friend is playing a single player game, chances are he's just killing time waiting for me (or other friends) to come online to play something else, so I can quickly open a chat channel and say "how's it going? Do you want to play game X?" and they can either say yes or no and we can discuss what we're gonna play. It sure beats sending text based messages back and forth. Sometimes we organise game nights where we agree to meet at a certain time and one person starts a party, so the others join as they arrive and we can all chat before we're even playing a game. The party mode is great too, because I can party up with friends in a game and we can say anything we like without annoying other players, and other players don't annoy us.

PS3 is lacking badly with this stuff. Some games don't even have a mute option, so you have open voice chat and nothing else. Cross-game invites and join session aren't standard either.

Lince

Banned
^^^^^^

yep the party system and cross game chat are awesome features but then again why are they being discussed so extensively in this PSN outage thread ?

Akuosa

Infinite Justice said:
Because some hope they will appear when PSN returns.
We've gone from wanting it back, to wanting it back with more stuff than it has before... because this is going so smoothly already, so why not, they might just take this chance. Not to be a party pooper, but I think these people are seting themselves up for disappointment.

Lince

Banned
Akuosa said:
We've gone from wanting it back, to wanting it back with more stuff than it has before... because this is going so smoothly already, so why not, they might just take this chance. Not to be a party pooper, but I think these people are seting themselves up for disappointment.

exactly, they're struggling to bring it back up with limited functionality (no PSN store) and yet people expect Sony to be implementing features like cross game chat in the mean time ??

test_account

XP-39C²
Luckyman said:
According to the irc logs at least some server was running linux with kernels 2.6.9-2.6.24

Those are upto 6+ years old
I wonder if that really is true because PSN isnt even that old. Obviously they started working on PSN before they launched it, and that takes some time for sure, but still, using 6 year old kernels on a network of that size, i simply cant see that this is actually the case. It is a bit pity that we probably never will know the answer to this. Not that it matters too much now though, but i'm still curious about it and it would also put the end to the speculations.

surly

Banned
bangai-o said:
why is it so hard to believe that upon the PSN return, that it is more powerful than ever before?
Because I would assume that their priority is to ensure that their networks are as secure as they can make them and to restore the service so people can get back to playing games. I just don't buy this "well, while it's down, we might as well slap in cross-game chat and stuff, even if it takes a bit longer". It's harder to believe that they haven't added such highly requested features in the last 4-5 years, so I can't see them doing it now.

What if this isn't up by Tuesday?
You know, a game called Brink comes out...and it's 100% multiplayer. At least SOCOM 4 had some SP.
The hole will get that much deeper if so...

LowParry

jetsetfluken said:
You know, a game called Brink comes out...and it's 100% multiplayer. At least SOCOM 4 had some SP.
The hole will get that much deeper if so...

Then people will either wait or buy it on 360 if they own a 360.

bangai-o

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
You know, a game called Brink comes out...and it's 100% multiplayer. At least SOCOM 4 had
Brink is not 100 percent multi. It has bot missions. Whether gamers can appreciate bots as a good thing is the question.

panda21

i can't believe this. at first i was like nah its cool i'll just play the SOCOM 4 SP but I completed them long ago.. this is getting ridiculous now.

if it carries on much longer its going to be really weird how it will affect games like brink..

surly

Banned
get2sammyb said:
Bizarrely the PS3 version is the third top pre-order on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-rele...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0P0VZXW1E174X7KH1RPE
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list, because the 360 version isn't even in the top 100. Either the list is not accurate, or more people have pre-ordered games like Emily The Strange on DS and Hidden Mysteries of Notre Dame on PC than the 360 version of Brink.

EDIT - That seems to be the updated hourly list. Here's the cumulative list: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_h__1

360 version at 7, PC at 16, PS3 at 27.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kj5Bd.png

kassatsu

Banned
kinoki said:
So how does it feel promoting PSN far more than Sony themselves and most likely making more money for every single developer out there than any single person from Sony?
Sad. Very sad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luckyman said:
Again Patrick Seybold fails as Sony has even admitted they had a known hole

What does his comment have to do with whether it was a known vulnerability or not?

Up-to-date software with 'security measures in place' can still have known vulnerabilities. There isn't necessarily a contradiction there.

alphaNoid

Banned
bangai-o said:
why is it so hard to believe that upon the PSN return, that it is more powerful than ever before?
I work managing data centers and systems and I'm laughing at this. you are dreaming if you think psn is coming back with more features lol.

it's hard to believe because its a ludacris idea.

Hex

Banned
gofreak said:
What does his comment have to do with whether it was a known vulnerability or not?

Up-to-date software with 'security measures in place' can still have known vulnerabilities. There isn't necessarily a contradiction there.

Because people are determined to lock onto a single sound byte as long as it is negative no matter how many times it has been talked about.

test_account

XP-39C²
I just read through the log where they claimed that auth.np.ac.playstation.net used Apache 2.2.15 and Linux 2.6.9-2.6.24. That log is from 17th February while the Google webcache is from March 23th. I guess that it is not impossible that the server was running Apache 2.2.15 back in February, but if that is the case then Sony did at least updated before the hack happened (unless the hackers had access for a long time).

Also, is it possible to run 2 Linux kernels on one server, and what is the use for this? I see that Linux kernel 2.6.9 is from like 2004 while Linux Kernel 2.6.24 is from like 2008. So why keep the old kernel running when they are also running a newer kernel? I dont have much experience with Linux, but i cant see the logic in running 2 Linux kernels on the same server, especially when the kernels are years appart in age.

BothBarsOn said:
Friend died? Fuck him. Get a new friend!

You're missing the point.
Wow. Your friends must drop like flies for that to be a valid comparison.

How about this?

Friend still out of town? Fuck him. Hang around with a new friend until he gets back!

Jadedx

Banned
I seriously doubt PSN is gonna come back anytime soon; it's gonna take more than a few weeks to fix all the security flaws. If they do manage to bring it back up within the next week I doubt it will be secure. I'm having serious doubts about keeping my ps3, hell I dont even watch blu-rays on it.

LowParry

Jadedx said:
I seriously doubt PSN is gonna come back anytime soon; it's gonna take more than a few weeks to fix all the security flaws. If they do manage to bring it back up within the next week I doubt it will be secure. I'm having serious doubts about keeping my ps3, hell I dont even watch blu-rays on it.

Then go sell it, so that you can participate in the "I regret selling my PS3 |OT| Fuck Sony!" thread.

Luckyman

Banned
test_account said:
Also, is it possible to run 2 Linux kernels on one server, and what is the use for this? I see that Linux kernel 2.6.9 is from like 2004 while Linux Kernel 2.6.24 is from like 2008. So why keep the old kernel running when they are also running a newer kernel? I dont have much experience with Linux, but i cant see the logic in running 2 Linux kernels on the same server, especially when the kernels are years appart in age.

They can multiple virtual linux instances on one box sure.

cabottemp

Banned
Jadedx said:

Then sell it. Nobody here cares.

test_account

XP-39C²
Luckyman said:
They can multiple virtual linux instances on one box sure.
Kinda like how Wine is done, but only for other Linux kernel instead? If so, then i see, but what is the point in doing that? Especially on a server/service like PSN?

jonabbey

test_account said:
I just read through the log where they claimed that auth.np.ac.playstation.net used Apache 2.2.15 and Linux 2.6.9-2.6.24. That log is from 17th February while the Google webcache is from March 23th. I guess that it is not impossible that the server was running Apache 2.2.15 back in February, but if that is the case then Sony did at least updated before the hack happened (unless the hackers had access for a long time).

The kernel version information doesn't mean that much. If they were running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat keeps the kernel version number based on the mainstream Linux kernel they based on the release on (in this case, 2.6.9, which is what RHEL 4 used), but they incorporate regular security patches into their build of the kernel during the supported lifespan of the product. Red Hat backports all kind of security fixes into their product kernels, without bumping the basic kernel revision number.

Given the 2.6.9 identifier, it is very most likely that they were using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (or Centos 4, equivalently), and whether or not they were up to date on their kernel releases from Red Hat has nothing to do with the 2.6.9 portion of the kernel revision reported by Apache.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
test_account said:
I wonder if they have changed how PSN works now or if they "just" implemented better security on the "old" PSN.
There is nothing wrong with using standard webservices implementations, so I doubt they would change their whole protocol. As long as the back-end is secured, of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom