• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replicant said:
Thread title..... :(

Oh well, it's not like I use online much. I just want to buy Red Johnson's Chronicles.

My advice - don't. It's absolute fucking horseshit. Easily one of the worst point 'n' click adventure games I've played. I was psyched for it because it was garnering comparisons to a multitude of things I love like noir, futuristic dystopia's and Heavy Rain. But it's more like Professor Layton without a shred of character, intrigue or ambiance. The dialogue has no spark, the voice-acting is risible...the whole experience just feels really dead inside.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ultimoo said:
I don't think you can link your PSN account with Steam though with PSN down? Or am I wrong? D:

Your not wrong, a fortunate few got the registering done before the calamity

On a happy note my dumbass brother who is a CODBRO4Life finally achieved the impossible... he finished his 1st SP game ever in his gaming life

24 year old gamer whose 1st SP campaign finished was COD:BLOPS, he popped his cherry, thanks PSN down time, my brother's MP withdrawal forced him to GASP! play SP and finsh

(/_\;) <=== tears of joy, he even surpassed the 50 trophy mark, only 4300 trophies + 69 platinums behind big bro =/

I'm kinda pining for PSN right now because of co-op mode on Portal 2. I haven't even started it yet, but on the flipside I've accomplished everything there is to do in single player mode. It'll be nice to finally play it once everything is back online. In the mean time, I got myself A Crack In Time for a healthy sized single player campaign. And hopefully, by the time I've platinum'd that, L.A. Noire will be dropping through the letterbox; and once I've got my hands on that game the lack of PSN will be far far at the back of my mind. I've never really been much of a multiplayer enthusiast anyway so I'm not too fussed about the outage, but I do feel sorry for the folks who want to play Mortal Kombat, Socom and, eventually, Brink online.

GraveRobberX

Metalmurphy said:
What's the "another"?

First there was Security Breach, then the PSN Shutdown, then information lost, then the apologising, then we'll be right back after these PR messages, now we need to kill every first born, after the 19th and appease the Gaming Gods....naturally! Trainwreck Ho!

At this point I want the PSN back online purely to stop the bullshit. Things are getting ridiculous.

And the media continues to give Anonymous a spotlight that they don't deserve. They've turned them into some kind of Robin Hood figure.

verbum

Other sites, mainly the "click on me for the page views" category, are reporting the May 31st date. Sony shares are down about 6%.
From Reuters:
(Reuters) - Sony said on Saturday it had removed from the Internet the names and partial addresses of 2,500 sweepstakes contestants that had been stolen by hackers and posted on a website, and said it did not know when it could restart its PlayStation video games network.

The company, under fire since hackers accessed personal data from about 100 million user accounts of its PlayStation Network and PC-based online gaming services, said in a statement details posted on the inactive website also included three unconfirmed e-mail addresses.

The data came from customers who entered a 2001 product sweepstakes contest. The list did not include information on credit cards, social security numbers or passwords.

"The website was out of date and inactive when discovered as part of the continued attacks on Sony," Sony said, adding that the company took the website down shortly after finding out about the postings on Thursday.

Sony Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer apologised on Friday to users of the firm's PlayStation Network and other online services, breaking his silence on the massive data breach.

The company said last Sunday that it would begin restoring services within the week but a spokeswoman said on Saturday this would not be possible, and that no date had been fixed for when services would resume....
Sony, which is set to report its annual earnings on May 26, has yet to specify the financial effect of the network breach.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/09/uk-sony-idUSLNE74505420110509

Sony will bounce back, it may have lost some sales these past weeks, but it has world wide brand recognition and quality content. I imagine by the fall, they will be back to decent sales numbers. The Wii sales will drop off with a potential new Wii on the horizon. Xbox will benefit from this downtime but they were going to get a good bump from GOW3 anyway.
And as my grandmother used to say, " Shit happens, but sometimes it becomes fertilizer".

Y2Kev said:
I'm surprised people are upset by the new thread title. It's the same news we've known.

PSN is never coming back, you all need to buy PCs.
*Self YLOD*

Seriously I can take 2 more weeks, but 31st is madness.

GraveRobberX

Hanmik said:
you are right.. it reads better when it´s not from a Junior..

Anyone remember what PSN games where promised for PSN store in may..?

Outland sticks out, Beyond Good & Evil, PSN+ got Crash Commandos + some games slashed 50% (forget which)

Also Scrap Bolt Scrappers (I think I murdered that title), and other stuff

Overall 3 weeks, this Tuesday = 2nd PSN+ update missed, meaning no Genesis classic, I think it was Streets of Rage 2 (don't hold me to it)

verbum said:
Other sites, mainly the "click on me for the page views" category, are reporting the May 31st date. Sony shares are down about 6%.
From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/09/uk-sony-idUSLNE74505420110509

Sony will bounce back, it may have lost some sales these past weeks, but it has world wide brand recognition and quality content. I imagine by the fall, they will be back to decent sales numbers. The Wii sales will drop off with a potential new Wii on the horizon. Xbox will benefit from this downtime but they were going to get a good bump from GOW3 anyway.
And as my grandmother used to say, " Shit happens, but sometimes it becomes fertilizer".

6% compared to when?If the financial results are...positive...then of course they will bounce back.

Calcaneus said:
The 31st until its all up? Are you kidding me?

This has gone from amusing, to hilarious, to just annoying now.

Why so shocked? It was already known it wouldnt be "all up" until "by the end of the month."

strem

Wow if it is really down until the 31st that would be devastating. I'm not sure they recover from something like that

Loudninja

All this stuff:
Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
-This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
Access to account management and password reset
Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
PlayStation®Home
Friends List
Chat Functionality

Will be up before the store they already said this its nothing new at all.

test_account

XP-39C²
strem said:
Wow if it is really down until the 31st that would be devastating. I'm not sure they recover from something like that
Just out of curiousity, what do you mean with "recover"? What do you think will happened if PSN really is down until May 31th?

Karram

I just want to play Portal 2 on my PC. Also doesn't this mean that Infamous 2 beta is cancelled ? A week isn't enough to get feedback from users.

Akuosa

test_account said:
Just out of curiousity, what do you mean with "recover"? What do you think will happened if PSN really is down until May 31th?
Sony headquarters will implode, obviously.

Hanmik said:
you are right.. it reads better when it´s not from a Junior..

Anyone remember what PSN games where promised for PSN store in may..?

Nah it just sounded like some lyrics from an old Prodigy song. I was hoping someone would catch on and we could continue. Needs more "Another dimension" :)

GraveRobberX

I think Mod should change title

People just posting to title change

From¡

PlayStation Network under testing. [Uncertain Of Restart Time, Fully Up By May 31st]

To:

"PSN still under testing, 2 step process, Still on Step 0, Store Access by End of the Month"

KAL2006

Banned
Wait let me get this straight by 31st, do they mean the store will be back up by the 31st but we will get PSN earlier (which includes online play and etc)

Wow Sony, you better be building the greatest security system or something.....

Wait let me get this straight by 31st, do they mean the store will be back up by the 31st but we will get PSN earlier (which includes online play and etc)

Yeah seems like we'll get PSN earlier, but the fact that there isn't a proper date for it is pretty bad by itself.

GraveRobberX

KAL2006 said:

The store, by end of Month, 100% running

Beforehand from Today May 9th till May 30th, chances are some parts should/will be up and running (heres hoping *knocks wood*)

Looks like Sony's Deadline/Point of No Return for a full operational PSN with Store (business like normal) is 1.5 week before E3 commences, cutting it close

I feel this week should have step 1 and by next week get it locked down, 2-3 weeks to calm the asylum, then bring back store, start "Welcome Back" program, move onto E3 and the future

test_account

XP-39C²
Akuosa said:
Sony headquarters will implode, obviously.
Hehe :)

Relaxed Muscle said:
The first 4-5 days or so they might only have done investigation finding out what went wrong and what had been taken from the servers. They also physically moved the PSN servers to another location. All of this stuff takes extra time on top of improving the security. Pity that it takes such long time though, but it has been more about only improving security through software update and patching.

GraveRobberX

That May 31st is gonna cause a ruckus, I can feel it, most will just see that May # > [post reply], not even read up till last post of what is going on =/

All the stuff is rehashed segments worded differentlyto garner more attention

Sony stated obvious, gives semi-timeline, every "gaming website/blog" regurgitates info on endless loop

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ITT people don't trust Sony.

Understandable by how they've handled all this, at this point whatever they say will be taken badly until things start coming back. They need a lesson from Apple in how you turn round the narrative.

At this point I'm not taking anything that SONY says seriously because they continue to fail to meet deadlines. My question is what happens to third party publishers that have to release their game during PSN's downtime? Do these 3rd party devs have any legal ground to stand on that would allow them to sue SONY to recooperate lost sales caused by the PSN being down?

BeeDog

Mizzou Gaming said:
At this point I'm not taking anything that SONY says seriously because they continue to fail to meet deadlines. My question is what happens to third party publishers that have to release their game during PSN's downtime? Do these 3rd party devs have any legal ground to stand on that would allow them to sue SONY to recooperate lost sales caused by the PSN being down?

It seems pretty obvious that Sony will (or already are) reimburse/-ing them for lost sales.

Audioboxer

Mizzou Gaming said:

They'd have to somehow tangibly prove they are in fact losing sales, because right now any of these future games can be put in a PS3 and played.

So no, I really doubt 3rd party devs are going to start up in arms legal battles, even if it took 1 month of downtime.

And I really doubt on a mass scale consumers will all stop buying games. This however is all hyperbole, and until sales figures are posted in a month or two, we won't really know.

Withnail

It's amazing how badly Sony are handling this situation. The reason there is so much FUD flying around is because Sony are not communicating effectively enough. They missed their own deadline yesterday yet there hasn't been a single word from them.

Relaxed Muscle said:

Yeah seems like we'll get PSN earlier, but the fact that there isn't a proper date for it is pretty bad by itself.

Maybe we will get a time frame today, since PS Blog hasnt said nothing since Friday...

harrytang

Kung Fu Grip said:
Why are people going crazy and why the title change? We've known this already.

The date was just slipped. How have we known this already? It's extreme to say the least. Not sure how the PSN network requires month and a half constant 24/7 attention to become fully operational.

Withnail

Mizzou Gaming said:

Depends on the terms of the agreement between Sony and the pubs. I would expect there are clauses in there that state Sony do not guarantee the PSN to be available at all times, and therefore they are not liable for loss of sales if it goes down.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GraveRobberX said:
That May 31st is gonna cause a ruckus, I can feel it, most will just see that May # > [post reply], not even read up till last post of what is going on =/

All the stuff is rehashed segments worded differentlyto garner more attention

Sony stated obvious, gives semi-timeline, every "gaming website/blog" regurgitates info on endless loop

The PR side has been a mess of their own causing.

They were too long saying something in the first place, then gave the impression that they didn't know how serious it was but it might be very serious, then they covered their ass as they had to by saying it was very serious so shit hit the fan, then they gave a deadline they missed, leaving a second deadline which no one has any real confidence to think that they will meet.

The whole thing has been a clusterfuck, both what happened and how Sony have dealt with it.

IrishNinja

GraveRobberX said:
Overall 3 weeks, this Tuesday = 2nd PSN+ update missed, meaning no Genesis classic, I think it was Streets of Rage 2 (don't hold me to it)

yes, it was, and this is the real crime here, i was totally waiting to play that again. off to the excellent fan remix i go!

Jucksalbe

Banned
harrytang said:
The date was just slipped. How have we known this already? It's extreme to say the least. Not sure how the PSN network requires month and a half constant 24/7 attention to become fully operational.

They said on May 1st, that PSN would be up within a week (they missed that one) and that everything else will be up within a month. This "news" says nothing different.

GavinGT

Banned
test_account said:
Hehe :)

The first 4-5 days or so they might only have done investigation finding out what went wrong and what had been taken from the servers. They also physically moved the PSN servers to another location. All of this stuff takes extra time on top of improving the security. Pity that it takes such long time though, but it has been more about only improving security through software update and patching.

They're trying to ensure that CFW PS3s will never be able to connect to PSN again. Even after they released the 3.60 firmware, hackers were forging certificates and spoofing their firmware versions, or doing whatever else it took to get online while still running 3.55. These aren't end-user software vulnerabilities, they're network vulnerabilities.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jucksalbe said:
They said on May 1st, that PSN would be up within a week (they missed that one) and that everything else will be up within a month. This "news" says nothing different.

It says they're unsure of when PSN will go up, even after missing the week deadline. Which means...probably not this week either, unless they release a solid date very soon.

KPJZKC

test_account said:

I know it could, I'm a fan of both bands...but what he said was "Another dimension" in reply to "Another dimension"... so it seems closer to Beastie Boys to me than the "I'll take your brain to another dimension - repeat".

But I derail no further. I left my PS3 in another country, so thankfully I'm not too affected by this cut...but it is still incredibly disappointing behaviour from Sony...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom