• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

Nirolak said:
I think it's closer to double that...

damn... I saw your name NIROLAK (the bringer of good news on Gaf), and thought YES he knows something about when PSN will be back up... but no..

darkpower

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
Otherwise I just think it's a bait and switch technique to get people raging for no good reason (that or just bad bad citation.)

Could you accuse Sony of doing the same?

What I mean is this: just because one party could do it doesn't make the other side unable to do the same thing!

Abylim

Damn I knew there were a few bans in here, but thats a lot!

Godamn I'm getting pissed at UC2 Crushing. Just beat the train part, took forever on the snow ambush part. it's like 3 bullets and I'm down, and they take a billion =\

Hanmik

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ervices-remain-shut-uncertain-on-restart.html

Sony Corp. (6758)’s PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services remain shut as of today, Shigenori Yoshida, a Tokyo-based spokesman said. Sony is uncertain when it can resume the services, Yoshida said by phone today.

The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services April 20 because of possible data theft by hackers.

The maker of PS consoles had planned to restart partial operations within a week after boosting the level of security system, the company said May 1.

MAY 31..? oh my..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Hanmik

gofreak said:
Sony originally said there would be two stages to the restart. A partial restart of services within a week and then all services back within the month.

The May 31 bit refers to the latter, so there's not really any change there. I assume (hope!) they are still planning a partial restart for a core set of the services much sooner than that.

I hope that too.. but nothing would indicate that at the moment.. Sony is once again silent. And this is the first solid date, not an estimate I have seen..

eLGee

gofreak said:
Sony originally said there would be two stages to the restart. A partial restart of services within a week and then all services back within the month.

The May 31 bit refers to the latter, so there's not really any change there. I assume (hope!) they are still planning a partial restart for a core set of the services much sooner than that.
I'm guessing that the ability to download content already bought is part of the second stage. Goddammit. :(

Marius_ said:
well we have a date now, isnt that what people wanted?

May 31st...... :(

Huh? Yoshida just said that it would be up fully by then. That's what Sony has been saying since they mentioned the services going back online at that conference. We'll get online play back first and then the store will be up by the end of the month.

He did say fully up and running by end of May but the blog have always said some parts of PSN will be up sooner so I'm not going crazy just yet.

Mik2121

Jocchan said:
That's what I'm wondering too :/
I have a feeling it won't because it has to link your PSN account from the store, but who knows...

If by the time I can afford Brink, the online gaming isn't up I'll just buy it for the 360 or PC. Fuck waiting...

Sure it sux a lot but I think its expected.
Does anyone know how long it took to originally make/create PSN in 2006?
Even if that was 10 to 12 months.
What do you expect if they started from scratch and have it back in 2 weeks?
A month + is fairly quick I think.

Zimbardo

over a month of downtime?

ridiculous.

then there's the possibility of another attack from hackers, which i'm sure they're bound to attempt again.

i don't game on PSN, but that seems atrocious to me.

Mik2121

The Dutch Slayer said:
Sure it sux a lot but I think its expected.
Does anyone know how long it took to originally make/create PSN in 2006?
Even if that was 10 to 12 months.
What do you expect if they started from scratch and have it back in 2 weeks?
A month + is fairly quick I think.
I don't think they are working on it from scratch in the same way they did with PSN back in 2006. Definitely not...

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
SolidSnakex said:
Huh? Yoshida just said that it would be up fully by then. That's what Sony has been saying since they mentioned the services going back online at that conference. We'll get online play back first and then the store will be up by the end of the month.

I know about the latter, just never were aware of the May 31st deadline.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing May 31st is their deadline date. All stuff can probably be up earlier though.

Hanmik

IonicSnake said:
He did say fully up and running by end of May but the blog have always said some parts of PSN will be up sooner so I'm not going crazy just yet.

I´m sorry but could you please link me to that part in the blog..? All I find is something about PSN coming back in small steps, nothing about it being fully back by the end of the month.. maybe I´m lookin the wrong places..

BeeDog

Perhaps I have a lack of reading comprehension, but this latest piece of news is no different than anything they've said before. They always said the full PSN restoration should be done BY the end of the month, not AT the end of the month. Dunno why people get so riled up, all of a sudden.

Hanmik

BeeDog said:
Perhaps I have a lack of reading comprehension, but this latest piece of news is no different than anything they've said before. They always said the full PSN restoration should be done BY the end of the month, not AT the end of the month. Dunno why people get so riled up, all of a sudden.

could you please link me to a site or anything where Sony said that.?

glaurung

Dropping that May 31st deadline for full restoration was cold as ice.

It stands to reason that the money systems and purchasing stuff is the last thing they will let loose after the internal testing, so...

When PSN is first brought back online, it could be that:
  • It is horribly slow and unstable.
  • Syncing stuff and trophies will take forever.
  • Online play is laggy and unstable.
  • No store.
  • No redeeming codes or actvations.
  • PSN Plus accounts will be bugged.
  • PSN will come and go as it pleases.

Ashkeloth

I've got to admit, I'm pretty pissed about the May 31st deadline, mainly because I've been waiting all of this time to buy Arcana Heart 3 and Mortal Kombat online. Neither of which I can do without full PSN service thanks to the great idea that is online passes and downloadable only retail sized games.

At this point though, I'm sort of over the PSN. I've filled the fighting game shaped holes in my life that it going down created with other stuff. Mainly single-player games.

As most people have stated, actual online play and other small services will be back soon, whilst likely most stuff involving transactions will be up by the end of the month, that has altered from their original statement of "within a month" when it was hacked in mid-late April, but it's sort of to be expected at this point.

glaurung said:
* It is horribly slow and unstable.
* Syncing stuff and trophies will take forever.
* Online play is laggy and unstable.
* No store.
* No redeeming codes or actvations.

* PSN Plus accounts will be bugged.
* PSN will come and go as it pleases.

Or you could be being a drama queen for the sake of it. I have bolded the two statements that are likely to be true. General network stuff may be slow for the first couple of days while they iron out the bugs and take a lot of traffic from people who have been eager to play online again, but hopefully not since they've spent so long remaking it.

Audioboxer

BeeDog said:

Incoming journalist headlines of "PSN down till May 31st"?

The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said.

The very fact he said that means it was already a discussed topic, not something new.

Oh and also...

plan to restart the services fully

As everyone has already said, don't we already know it's going to be at least a two stage process? I certainly do remember them saying multiple times partial restoration of PSN first, store and some other things later.

Arklite

BeeDog said:

Probably people are auto-reacting to the date on the thread title change. Title was fine before.

BeeDog

Incoming journalist headlines of "PSN down till May 31st"?

The very fact he said that means it was already a discussed topic, not something new.

Oh and also...

As everyone has already said, don't we already know it's going to be at least a two stage process? I certainly do remember them saying multiple times partial restoration of PSN first, store and some other things later.

Yes, the OP of this topic clearly states it's a 2-step process.

Thanks SSX for finding the link I was looking for. This is not anything new, people.

i just want to play portal 2 and MK online. it's unfortunate that i managed to use my kombat kode before the outage otherwise i'd offload it for the 360 ver. kratos isn't that awesome :/

Hanmik

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.
I read this differently.. I read it like the stuff that they had Scheduled for this month, would be checked before the restore the operations.. but maybe I´m just reading it wrong.. I just read it like the stuff scheduled for this month would be postponed untill the security is 100% done.. glad that I read it wrong..

Not missing PSN as much as i thought i would but then again i not buy a game since Dungeon Hunter and before then MVC3 had so much lag and broken for me to care about it .
I just happy this happen when there got nothing for me to really play but it must really suck for people who bought games to play online.

Tizoc

I'm callin it; Kingdom Hearts 3 will be announced in E3 exclusively for PS3, this'll more than likely help get their customer's interest back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom